Amazon Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Met with 5 people, 1 hour each. Mostly behavioral questions based on leadership principles + White board exercise/case study
Behavioral questions were very specific "tell me about a time when" questions. I recommend spending a few hours brainstorming the experiences that you want to talk about before the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision quickly and didn't have time to consult with your manager or teammates.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Two separate 45 minute phone interviews initially and a final onsite interview consisting of 4 one hour one on one interviews. The phone interviews were fairly basic phone screens; the onsite was more detailed regarding my skills and background.

Interview Questions

• The phone interviews and onsite interviews were the same format. A brief introduction by the interviewer and their background, some questions on your resume and background, and then a series of behavioral questions based on the 14 Amazon leadership principles.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Had a couple of phone interviews followed by an on-site interview. The communication from recruiter was not always on time. No feedback after the on site just a reject after two weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I recently interviewed with Amazon as a Program Manager for their Chicago office. The entire process had gone very smoothly. The recruiter and coordinator were very responsive and communicative throughout the entire interview cycle. After the first and second round interviews I had heard from my recruiter immediately with continual follow ups on our next steps, and made it to the final in office interview round. My conversations with each contact were very insightful and I had thought they went great. After a few days I received a rejection email from a recruiter that I had never spoken to or interacted with. The email was very generic and I had requested feedback as I continue my job search. The recruiters response was that they could not provide any interview and feedback details. With Amazon being the company that it is I would think that they would provide their candidates some sort of feedback so that he or she can improve their interview processes. It would be beneficial to know if I was not offered a position due to lack of experience, cultural fit, etc.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions asked during my interview was- Describe to me your most difficult customer   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

A friend referred me a couple of months ago. I was not contacted for the role I was referred to. A recruiter contacted me after my resume matched another role. I had two phone screens and one onsite interview. The overall process was very efficient and the recruiters and interviewers were all very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• When in your last job did you take a risk and fail?     2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

One Phone Screen followed by Onsite. The group panel has couple of good managers and not so bright managers.Some of the older managers lack the technical ability to discern machine learning and analytical models and as to how they are still there in a place like Amazon makes you a non believer. Prime Now has a lot of deadweights and the company need to jettison them in order to be lean.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you failed   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

It was hard but to the point. The interviewer was not very happy. Did not smile. Just looked at his computer dcreen while i talked. Theg kept asking same question. Tell me about yourself. I think they were just interviewing for the greencard process

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Met the hiring manager at an my university career fair. My internship experience was very similar to what was required for the PM position in the manager's team. Scheduled a phone call where the manager explained what his team does, provided an example of a current problem the team is trying to solve and asked if I'd like to work on such projects.

Shortly after, received an email for an on-site interview in their Seattle campus. The interview was relaxed, they were interviewing 8 candidates that day for 1 position. 4 interviews in total, 3 from members of the team including the hiring manager and 1 Amazonian who wasn't a part of the team so that I could get a different perspective on things. They are evaluating you against their 14 leadership principles, so know and understand them properly. Each interviewer's questions are directed over 2 of them, some will tell you the principles they are testing you on, some won't. Know your experiences and story well and you'll be good.

Presented the offer 2 days after the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation unfortunately for college grads

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Cambridge, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

After applying online - Initial contact by the recruiter followed by 2 behavioral phone screens from peers. The recruiting coordinator was courteous and followed up consistently to ensure I received updates. Called for on-site after over a month. Onsite was a reflection of what to expect from the company. Interview was not optimally scheduled- they scheduled an interview to begin at noon up to 4 pm, with the note that lunch will not be provided. Essentially, Amazon expected someone to start an interview at noon ( for which someone would have to leave at least an hour ahead to get into the middle of Cambridge and take back to back absolutely vocal interviews, with 6 people in intervals of 45 mins( all of which ran overtime), without any food. To their credit, they did offer me water and coffee and a supervised restroom break. Questions were not technical, but behavioral, most of which seemed repetitive. They make you sign an NDA. They don't provide any specific details about the role. The job description was very generic- when you'd ask a question, they'd give a beat around the bush answer but they would want very specific answers with examples to their questions. Why would you expect someone to give you specific details about their work if you are not willing to provide information about the job or questions you are asking. I had an interviewer who is a research scientist and that interview was totally scattered all over the place with no coherence in the questions asked or responses to my questions. By the middle of the interview with this person, I felt like we were 5-6 questions away from the original question. All 6 interviewers gave the same answer to my question about work life balance at Amazon as though they were trained to answer that question. They even used the same words in a sentence. Now isn't that a co-incidence?
    At the end of the interview- I felt exhausted. When I reached home, I immediately went to bed, because of the fatigue.
    On the positives, they did close the loop on the interview within 3 business days to let me know that they were not pursuing my candidacy, which is a rare thing these days with recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Cant give details about the questions due to the NDA- but they were all behavioral questions asking for specific examples   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Amazon has 14 leadership principles. Assessment on these principles is used in hiring, periodic evaluations, promotions, etc. Your first week on the job you're going to memorize them. Why not get started early?

Your job interview is a gauntlet of 6 or 7 people, each of whom will be assigned 2 of these 14 principles to ask you about (they may omit "frugality" and "raise the bar" if you have only 6 interviews). At least one of the interviewers will be outside the group you're being hired for, the remainder will at least have some bearing on what you will be doing.

The questions may start the same and you'll see them here on the site: "tell me about a time when you..." but the "drill down" questions will relate to the leadership principles. The same original question from different interviewers will lead in different directions. Be prepared to address every leadership principle. Follow the "STAR" method. Have more than one example for each one, if possible. Be prepared to get into trivial specifics of your answer. "Why did you ask that person for this information? What if that information was wrong?"

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you (insert situation related to one of the 14 Amazon Leadership principles)   1 Answer