Amazon Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Operations Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Basic target selection questions, STAR. Called for interview at FC. Interview lasted roughly 40 minutes. Well organized and flowed great. Asked about a process change I helped implement and the simple math question of 38 hourly with 2 indirect employees. Added how many people would be needed if one wanted 10000 more units.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Seemed very disorganized from the start. You can tell they were in a rush to get people in quickly. I had to correct my name on paperwork and in each interview.

The tour of the facility was brief but you could get an immediate sense of how efficient they were. I appreciated the relaxed attitude the interviewers portrayed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you brought up a great idea to your manager and they disagreed/turned you down.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

Got contacted by a recruiter, asked if I was interested to interview for a position in Las Vegas area. Got the call on Friday and set up phone interview for Monday. I talked to another Operations Manager from a different division for about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever mentor a Supervisor under me to be better and how did I go about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Redlands, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reviewed my LinkedIn account and reached out to me. Phone interview was scheduled. This interview included a Math Flow question and Behavior Based interview questions. Results: I nailed it! Next I was schedule a face-to-face interview in Redlands, California. Note: I was NOT advise the position I would ultimately be applying for was going to be there. Note: I reside in Georgia. Nonetheless I was scheduled to in Redland, California Fulfillment Center for this interview. The interview consisted of the following.

1) A 2-page essay review & Math Flow problem(s)
    2) 4 - 45 minute Interviews with Ops Manager, Sr Ops Mgr & HR Manager

We were there from 7:00AM - 12:00PM

Pros:
    1) Professional process
    2) They foot the bill (Flight, Hotel & Rental Vehicle)

Cons:
    1) Lack of transparency - recruiters should advise you of the job location upfront.
    2) Interviewers are very impersonal (no connection or rapport). They ask questions from a sheet and type while you response. When they do raise a concern, its like they're attempting to trip you up.
    3) Hard to understand what they are truly looking for.

Interview Questions

• 1) Describe a metric I implemented. Note: The questions are all here on Glassdoor, if you study these, you'll be fine. The Math Flow question is here as well, but please be prepared to explain your answer and answer the Redirect (this is an additional question to the same math problem).

I did not get the job offer as well as another candidate that interviewed. I can say from this experience that Amazon is a very difficult company to get hired. I not only believed I had a great interview, but the other feel strongly I would get a job offer, however I did NOT. I believe Amazon will miss plenty of amazing talent because they are rich and can afford to interview a huge number of candidates for (1) position.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Lexington, KY) in October 2016.

Interview

Had a 30 minute screening interview at a military-focused career fair - asked a few behavioral questions plus a fairly easy math problem. Got invited to an onsite interview - very professional impression; booked me a flight, car, hotel. At the Amazon site, eight of us cycled between four interviewers - a local, an HR person (also a local), a Sr. Ops manager, and another senior operations person who evaluated another math problem. Took about four hours. They each had a laptop with behavioral questions that apparently are designed to determine if you have demonstrated their desired behaviors. I got the "we're not moving forward" call a week later (good on them for making the decision so quickly). My best guess is I killed my chances with my answer to the question about my weakness (they call it "opportunity"). My answer, impatience, caused some concern about how I'd deal with people working for me. Lesson learned - follow the conventional wisdom to provide an absolutely innocuous weakness that would have little impact on the role.
    Overall, my experience was positive - the recruiters did a very nice job maintaining contact during the process and actually responded to emails. Letting me know their decision in a week, though disappointing, proves it can be done!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you influenced a change by only asking questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Tracy, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was very well organized to help the candidate prepare for the interviews.
    First, contacted with questions through email with links to videos and web sites to learn more about the company and culture.
    Second, contacted with clarification comments and questions
    Third, phone interview with instructions for what to prepare for and the interviewers name ahead of the interview
    Fourth, on site interview, again with a detailed agenda for what to expect.

I would say the Amazon leadership principles are a great asset to the company and create such a good process for preparing candidates.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you accomplished something great and what was the result.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Nashville, TN) in September 2016.

Interview

About 15 of us were initially taken on a tour of one of their fulfillment centers. This showed the processes of picking and packaging and gave us the the lay of the facility. There was no organized location for supplies as they explained there wasn't a need for it. We were all given a work flow problem to calculate and asked us to be able to discuss how we came to the conclusion. We met with three more interviewers that asked us questions on how we fit their leadership principles.

Interview Questions

• What major contribution have you made in your current position to improve a process?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Irvine, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Few days after my online application, I received an email from a recruiter asking my availability for a brief conversation (initial phone screening). The recruiter was very punctual. The whole phone interview process lasted about 40 minutes. During the interview, the recruiter gave me various scenarios, following by series of questions. At the end of our conversation, the recruiter advised me to read through company's leadership principles to better prepare the follow-up interviews.

Interview Questions

• How do you find yourself fit into the criteria in the job description?   Answer Question

Operation Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2016.

Interview

It was a lengthy process but overall worth it. I had a few emails and then 4 phone interviews. The questions a basic behavioral questions. so just make sure you prepare.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? (which is actually the hardest question)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Leavenworth, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Fort Leavenworth, KS) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied and it took about a week to receive a call regarding an interview. Once that was complete they tell you that they will call in seven to ten business days which didn't happen without me prompting the recruiter. First interview no one ever called but promptly responded when I mentioned this and a second was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• The first thing he asked was a math flow problem. I did not get it correct in retrospect. Not hard just takes multiple steps one of which I missed.   Answer Question
    • What was a situation in which you failed?   1 Answer