Amazon Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Operations Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Basic target selection questions, STAR. Called for interview at FC. Interview lasted roughly 40 minutes. Well organized and flowed great. Asked about a process change I helped implement and the simple math question of 38 hourly with 2 indirect employees. Added how many people would be needed if one wanted 10000 more units.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Robbinsville, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Robbinsville, NJ).

Interview

Phone screen with basic questions focusing on leadership, if passed than a POD interview where you interview with 4 to 6 people in one day where they each focus on a leadership principle and want you to answer based on that. After that is offer

Interview Questions

• Difficult math question that you can work thru if you work backwards!   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Seemed very disorganized from the start. You can tell they were in a rush to get people in quickly. I had to correct my name on paperwork and in each interview.

The tour of the facility was brief but you could get an immediate sense of how efficient they were. I appreciated the relaxed attitude the interviewers portrayed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you brought up a great idea to your manager and they disagreed/turned you down.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gardner, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Gardner, KS) in March 2017.

Interview

Basic phone interview with math flow question to begin. Interviewed with existing Operations Manager. Next interview was in person at what I thought was the hiring location. Turned out to be hiring for another location in surrounding area. Interviewed with Managers from various cities that had been flown in to conduct interviews. We took a tour of the massive facility and then began the rotation of interviews. No real continuity to the process, just waited in conference room to be matched up with next interviewer. More candidates than interviewers so a break was built in. The problem was nobody communicated that so you felt like you got skipped or did they forget about me. Overall good experience just didn't match up with what they are looking for evidently.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you didn't agree with a Management decision and how you went about changing that decision?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

Got contacted by a recruiter, asked if I was interested to interview for a position in Las Vegas area. Got the call on Friday and set up phone interview for Monday. I talked to another Operations Manager from a different division for about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever mentor a Supervisor under me to be better and how did I go about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Redlands, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reviewed my LinkedIn account and reached out to me. Phone interview was scheduled. This interview included a Math Flow question and Behavior Based interview questions. Results: I nailed it! Next I was schedule a face-to-face interview in Redlands, California. Note: I was NOT advise the position I would ultimately be applying for was going to be there. Note: I reside in Georgia. Nonetheless I was scheduled to in Redland, California Fulfillment Center for this interview. The interview consisted of the following.

1) A 2-page essay review & Math Flow problem(s)
    2) 4 - 45 minute Interviews with Ops Manager, Sr Ops Mgr & HR Manager

We were there from 7:00AM - 12:00PM

Pros:
    1) Professional process
    2) They foot the bill (Flight, Hotel & Rental Vehicle)

Cons:
    1) Lack of transparency - recruiters should advise you of the job location upfront.
    2) Interviewers are very impersonal (no connection or rapport). They ask questions from a sheet and type while you response. When they do raise a concern, its like they're attempting to trip you up.
    3) Hard to understand what they are truly looking for.

Interview Questions

• 1) Describe a metric I implemented. Note: The questions are all here on Glassdoor, if you study these, you'll be fine. The Math Flow question is here as well, but please be prepared to explain your answer and answer the Redirect (this is an additional question to the same math problem).

I did not get the job offer as well as another candidate that interviewed. I can say from this experience that Amazon is a very difficult company to get hired. I not only believed I had a great interview, but the other feel strongly I would get a job offer, however I did NOT. I believe Amazon will miss plenty of amazing talent because they are rich and can afford to interview a huge number of candidates for (1) position.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview process was very pleasant. I actually did not have a phone interview for some reason and instead went directly on-site for an in person interview with two VPs of Amazon operations. Amazon will pay for your flight and accommodations if you are out of state. Interview was very conversational and pleasant. A lot of behavioral questions and a lot of back and forth conversation, which I appreciated. They really wanted to hear about your leadership abilities and ability to work hard under high-pressure environments, so make sure you have some stories prepared.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Athens, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online. They had me go through situational test (what would you do). Had 2 30 minute interviews via online and they asked many behavioral and personality based questions. Interviewers appeared to be other operations managers.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you were unable to overcome an obstacle to meet a deadline.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Lexington, KY) in October 2016.

Interview

Had a 30 minute screening interview at a military-focused career fair - asked a few behavioral questions plus a fairly easy math problem. Got invited to an onsite interview - very professional impression; booked me a flight, car, hotel. At the Amazon site, eight of us cycled between four interviewers - a local, an HR person (also a local), a Sr. Ops manager, and another senior operations person who evaluated another math problem. Took about four hours. They each had a laptop with behavioral questions that apparently are designed to determine if you have demonstrated their desired behaviors. I got the "we're not moving forward" call a week later (good on them for making the decision so quickly). My best guess is I killed my chances with my answer to the question about my weakness (they call it "opportunity"). My answer, impatience, caused some concern about how I'd deal with people working for me. Lesson learned - follow the conventional wisdom to provide an absolutely innocuous weakness that would have little impact on the role.
    Overall, my experience was positive - the recruiters did a very nice job maintaining contact during the process and actually responded to emails. Letting me know their decision in a week, though disappointing, proves it can be done!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you influenced a change by only asking questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Tracy, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The process was very well organized to help the candidate prepare for the interviews.
    First, contacted with questions through email with links to videos and web sites to learn more about the company and culture.
    Second, contacted with clarification comments and questions
    Third, phone interview with instructions for what to prepare for and the interviewers name ahead of the interview
    Fourth, on site interview, again with a detailed agenda for what to expect.

I would say the Amazon leadership principles are a great asset to the company and create such a good process for preparing candidates.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you accomplished something great and what was the result.   1 Answer