Amazon Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

3.3

259 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

Basic target selection questions, STAR. Called for interview at FC. Interview lasted roughly 40 minutes. Well organized and flowed great. Asked about a process change I helped implement and the simple math question of 38 hourly with 2 indirect employees. Added how many people would be needed if one wanted 10000 more units.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The timeline from first interview to last interview was fairly quick about two months. The interview itself was very straightforward based on the 14 leadership principles and comprised of behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions based on the 14 leadership principles.   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

in person during a job fair, it was a short "phone" style interview. Interviewer described the process then his background. Gave me a "tell me about yourself", then asked two questions related to amazon leadership principles. When have you motivated a team? When have you failed?

Interview Questions

• Asked questions from the interview packet, and no math flow question.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone interview that lasted 45 minutes. Interviewer was polite, professional and engaging, and provided good responses to the questions I asked of him. He also provided some advice for future interviews. There was no immediate offer but I should know more in the near future if I'll get a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Two basic algebra questions ( they weren't very difficult) about how many units employees could produce given some variables. Then some more open ended questions: What do you consider your greatest accomplishment and why? Tell me about a time when you faced resistance and overcame it. Provide an example of where you coached and mentored someone to success.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I was initially contacted via LinkedIn by one of the Amazon recruiters who then scheduled me for an interview with one of the Senior Operations Managers at the San Marcos Facility

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most innovative project you worked on what what did you contribute.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Newark, NJ) in August 2017.

Interview

For the doubtful out there please review the glassdoor posts--it is all true!

Let me give you a background of who I am. I have 10+ years in IT operations and just finished my MBA at top 10 B School. I got the skills and the education and I am more than capable to challenge Bezos and his monopolistic ideas.

Phone process:

They kept missing my phone interview repeatedly. On the 4th scheduled phone interview (they claimed that I did not pick up) which was not true and I took a photo shot of my sprint bill to show the recruiter that no one called. Finally, some random operation manager who was very unprofessional was interviewing me and it was super rushed. Basically, she was reading the questions and I can hear her walking from one place to another. She did not pay any attention to me and supposedly on her Linkedin she is a top graduate with an MBA that kept saying UM 50 times, You Know 76 times, and was very very unprofessional. This was their pathway graduates. She gave me a math question that everyone has on the net and she was unclear about it (luckily, I had the same question in front of me)

Anyways, they felt bad that they kept missing my interview and bumped me to a face to face.

Face-to-Face Interview:

I am in the southeast and was scheduled to EWR6 ( New Jersey) in Avanel by the state prison. bad area. They put you in a 2 star hotel and your interview starts at 7 AM. This is when I knew this is not my thing. The building looks like a prison and you enter it as a prison. You are greeted by some Area Manager who he was nice and they will give you the tour which you realize how bad this company is. The people that move your products are the poorest and all are low-income minorities that meet the min requirement of reading the labels. As a fresh interviewee, you must go to the fresh section and my u know were frozen, that’s how cold it is and the guide had a thick jacket and we were freezing. BTW, the other candidates were also minorities like myself. I guess it was the minority interview day.

So an operation manager you have no desk you have no direct phone you don’t have anything you are expected to work 60 hours in 4 days and be on call 24/7. The interview committee was all white males that are veterans and this is their second job after the army. So they are here to micromanage you and the poor associates. The questions are silly, and the people interviewing you are not interested in you as a person they have a list that they need to ask and if you challenge them or don’t give them the answer they need they will finish you early.

It’s a cluster mess place, this is a BLUE COLLAR job, if you spent money on your education to end up at this bad show do yourself a favor and leave or look for something else. They keept telling us that we are an interent company but it happened that we sell groceries. No you are not. You are a big Coscto that have Veterans to micromanage your scary looking associates ( I doubt they all pass the drug test) so you can make a buck. I was very disappointed in this interview process and this company as a whole.

While you go to the interview you will notice that someone will be injured every 5 minutes or so and you have to deal with it.

I am glad that this nightmare is over and I caution you if you are looking to work there. Basically you are a package handler with an operations manager title.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Tracy, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

* First step: phonecall interview with a math exercise included.
    * Second Step: written essay (2 pages) explaining a judgment call situation or a process improvement.
    * Third Step: on site interview with 2 senior op manager, 1 with the senior HR manager and 1 with the GM of the center. Also a math exercise. The on site process took 4 hours.
    * Amazon paid for all travel expenses from Miami to California and the car rental.

Operations Manager Interview

Interview

I thought that the interview process was fair. There were a lot of different parts to the interview, such as multiple online simulations and interviews. It was all easy to understand though!

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions were asked   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moreno Valley, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Moreno Valley, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Met with several members of the Sr. Operations team to discuss my qualifications and one person from HR. Interviews were conducted individually and included a math flow problem that then was later elaborated with one of the Sr. Ops Managers.

Interview Questions

• Why Amazon?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your previous work and how it translate to the roll here at Amazon.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you pushed your team members to improve a process.   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest "people" story?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tracy, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Tracy, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone interview in December 2016. A second phone interview in Feb 2017. Finally on site interview in July 2017. Not organized at all. Was told to show up an hour earlier than scheduled but interviewers we not aware. Sr Ops Manager was not engaging at all. Wore safety vest the entire time even though sat in office for interview. There were 5 of us going into interview and the individual who was offered the position brought cell phone to interview and did not pay any attention to brief tour of fulfillment center. I may sound bitter because was not offer position but at least I pay attention to detail. Was told didn't have the right education and experience yet I hold an MBA and have over 20 years experience. Perhaps I was viewed as not trainable to be brain washed into the Amazon way however was able to quote all leadership principles and had examples. No worries will be back again as learned the dos and don'ts. Won't give up

Interview Questions

• How many employees have you coached to succeed and name one that has failed.   2 Answers