Amazon Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Amazon

2,207 Interview Reviews

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

Negotiation

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Got the interview from a referral. Phone screen then Onsite. People were nice and most of them are patient (except the interviewer that I couldn't get his question answered).
    4 interviews, each of them consisted a STAR question and coding question.

Interview Questions

• We have an image and there are multiple meteorites coming toward the camera. Find the meteorites that will first hit us.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Very straightforward. Recruiter contacted over linkedin, then set an interview with a Sr. SDE. I was not available immediately, they were patient and set the interview in a later date.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my projects and how I handled different technical and cultural problems. Then asked a coding problem similar to but difficult than leetcode.   3 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Two interviews.
    1st: convert string to int. Corner cases failed. Interviewer said it's easy question but he even doesn't know how to process the MIN_VALUE clearly.

2nd: convert given int to roman letters. Interviewer is patient but don't know what the question required. For example, don't know the max int that roman letters can represent.

Interview Questions

• 1st: convert string to int. Corner cases failed.

2nd: convert given int to roman letters.   5 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Suddenly get one phone interview scheduled, and after that phone interview, get a thank you letter 2 days later. Without any online assessment or any other interview steps before. Just get scheduled and interviewed and rejected.

Interview Questions

• filter the tree(not only binary tree)   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Some recruiters are rude and will ghost you.

Recruiters are trying to maximize the number of people that get hired at Amazon. And that makes perfect sense. But this means once a candidate fails an onsite interview or phone screen a recruiter may never spend any time following up. It would be respectful if they at least sent an automated email saying you have been rejected. Being ghosted and left in the dark is really cold. Can't they just send an automated email to candidates that aren't hired?

I looked at the Amazon Leadership Principles. One section named "Earn Trust" says that "Leaders ... treat others respectfully". My suggestion to Amazon HR is to practice what you preach and start respecting candidates even if they don't get hired. Teach your recruiters to send a rejection email or have the software engineers write a program to send an automated email.

I'm not alone in my ghosting experience. A web search for "amazon interview ghosted" will return numerous results. Some people will say "grow up and move on". Well let's see how you feel when someone treats you that way.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Email from recruiter, online programming test and survey, phone call with recruiter, virtual onsite interview. It was a smooth process and everything was as expected with these big N company interviews

Interview Questions

• Asked about situations which you fit their leadership principals   Answer Question
    • General leetcode-esque programming question   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

had 3 rounds of online assessment. first one was debugging round (do have the option of running the code and seeing the output) in languages - C++, C, Java. Second round had 2 programming questions (most of the languages are available including Python) and work style assessment (make sure you align with their 14 leadership principles). 3rd round was work simulation and and your work style assessment questionnaire.

Interview Questions

• mainly Leetcode easy and medium questions on linked list and arrays   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Remote, OR) in April 2020.

Interview

First of all 90 minutes online coding exam consisting 2 questions. Then I got one phone screen interview about 40 minutes and then 4 (virtual) onsite interviews. The recruiter was quite helpful. Everybody was kind and nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you get criticised about your work   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in March 2020.

Interview

I had contacted a recruiter on LinkedIn. He first sent me a coding challenge, which consisted of 2 coding questions and I had to also explain my solution. The questions were Leetcode medium level.Five days before GHC I was informed that I had been selected for on-site interviews but due to COVID 19, all the rounds held online. There were 4 rounds each about 55 minutes. All 4 rounds were online using Amazon Chime. For the first 3 rounds, each round consisted on 1-2 technical questions and many behavioral questions. It's very important to go through the 14 Leadership Principles of Amazon for the behavioral questions. The coding questions were Leetcode medium. The 4th round was System Design, the question was little unusual for me. The interviewer helped me to come up with a good solution. As I was also very new to System Design, this round did not go that well for me. After a week I got a call that they are not moving forward with me. However, it was a very good interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time when you had to face the difficult customer   2 Answers