Amazon Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Amazon

2,554 Interview Reviews

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

Interview

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

Negotiation

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Straight forward, standard process.
    One phone interview, technical and behavioral. Lasted around 45 minutes.
    One site interview, technical and behavioral. Lasted around 4 hours as it was 4, 1 hour interviews with the team.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I was sent in as a reference. It included an online assessment of two leetcode style questions, then four "on-site" interviews via video call. Three of the onsite interviews were 40 minutes programming question, 20 minutes "behavioral" typical interview questions. One was all behavioral.

Interview Questions

• What was one time that you were unable to finish something on time?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

1. OA - 2 coding questions to be done in 90 mins. You can choose your preferred coding language.
    2. Onsite - 5 rounds - 4 rounds included 1 coding question and few LP questions and the last one was on system design.

Interview Questions

• Battleships, Text Justification   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2020.

Interview

After applying to one of their positions, received an email to complete a coding test. They also offer a practice test with real practice questions to start. I completed the practice test, and I enjoyed the fact that it had a built in IDE instead of just typing in a doc.

Interview Questions

• One question was about finding sub-strings, can't give much more information about it though.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in July 2020.

Interview

Several times they send an e-mail to me without any detail on position. Then, I reply with my CV to their email and always they are writing back to me immediately like "We sorry for blah blah..". I don't know how this Seattle HR office works but I will never reply or apply Amazon so called interview invites.

The process is like:
    1) They send an email regarding some events or open positions.
    2) They became sorry for their mistake, that's so cool.

Interview Questions

• Do you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

(Palo Alto, CA)

3 problem coding assessment
    2 phone screens
    ------ failed here
    onsite

Actually the worst interview process and interviewers I've had ever.

Recruiter Process:
    Recruiter calls randomly with no heads up instead of replying to emails. The emails have copy pasted lines of different font and colors so there was clearly no effort put there.
    There is a huge lack of communication on what to expect and next steps from the recruiter.

Interview Process:
    1. Interviewers love to ask 30 min worth of LP questions.
    2. 20 min LC medium.
    One of my interviewers did not even know the solution to the problem I was working on. I don't feel she truly understood the problem below after she put her own twist on it (More on this below).
    Both my interviewers also had thick accents and it was difficult for me to understand what they were saying without asking for a few repeats.

LC Medium: Boundary of Binary Tree (20 min)

Do not print the boundary node if it is an inner node even if it is on the boundary...
    Apparently I didn't understand that when she told me boundary and I walked through my example.

____1_____
           / \ / \
         7 8 9 10

Ouput:
    [1,2,7,8,9,10,3]

I solved the problem with 3 passes, she asked me to then revise with 1.
    I created a map and stack for left/right with BFS (interviewer suggestion over DFS).
    I started testing code and when I was done, interviewer said "Not sure..I need to run it and check if it works" lol.

How did she manage to pass the interviews if she needs a compiler to confirm the solution? Talk about double standards..

Interview Questions

• LP questions 2-3 (30-35min).   2 Answers
    • LC Medium: Boundary of Binary Tree (20 min)

Do not print the node if it is an inner node even if it is on the boundary.   2 Answers
    • LC Medium: Word Ladder (20 min)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2020.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter on LinkedIn, scheduled for OA test. I cleared the Online Assessment test within 90 minutes plus some behavior questions and go on the phone screen with recruiter

Anonymous Employee in Canada, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Canada, KS) in June 2020.

Interview

It was very good, technical and leadership principle questions was quite tough. it was suppose to be for for 5 hours but luckily it came for me for an hour including coding question.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (San Jose, CA) in June 2020.

Interview

The process is very smooth and easy, just need some time to pay attention on those edge cases. It is not that hard to figure out all cases.

You should be able to solve questions in given time

Interview Questions

• Reorder Data in Log Files
      Top K Frequently Mentioned Keywords