Amazon Graduate Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Graduate Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

I was reached out by a recruiter from Amazon, he told me my resume fits the position and asked if I'm interested taking the assessment. I did take first round assessment, and passed it, and second round assessment, and passed it. Third phase was the on-campus and I was surprised by how much time it took them to bring me there (more than 3 weeks).
I reached Seattle and was shocked by over 100 candidates that day (6th October 2017) for the same position. They said they interviewed about the same number the 2 weeks earlier. Everything went super easy and we were all surprised why AMAZON is giving such naive interviews, they replied with: "we already want you all". They promised to reply in a week and after 3 weeks they called everyone (I could reached) and they said the positions are filled.

I waited for more than 2 months in the process to get the reply: "You did good in the interview, but we made a mistake estimating how many people we need for the position and no longer hiring for 2017, sorry!". This is completely frustrating and unorganized process that took so much time for a mistake, a simple obvious mistake of wrong estimating how many people to interview and hire for the position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Graduate Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in March 2016.

Interview

The process took 3 weeks from first contact email, to interview result phone call. As I have signed an NDA, I can not speak too much about the process, just that it is a more real life scenario, rather than a test of generic algorithm questions such as sorting etc... Thus, in terms of preparation, you cannot cram for this, you need to have a good understanding of engineering as whole, and how to apply it.

Graduate Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I had a programming test first on Codility. This was hard (programming flood fill more or less, I did it in Python, but the time pressure is very stressful - be prepared to swear).

I got through to the on-site interviews which they paid for (I had to travel internationally). I had 4 interviews in the day, the first was an overview of my experience and went very well, it was just a really nice discussion.

The second was regarding my programming experience and discussing projects I had implemented this also went well.

The third was more technical, with some questions about threads and program design. This I struggled a little on as whilst I am familiar with the theory, full implementation of parallelisation is quite rare in Python.

The fourth was on solving some algorithm problems. I struggled on the last problem, converting numbers to written numbers i.e. "100" to "One Hundred" and all the complexities of this. This one interview went slightly badly (and the interviewers were much more hostile) and unfortunately this overrode all other interviews.

Interview Questions

• Implement flood fill   Answer Question
    • Design threading/parallelisation for a traffic lights system   Answer Question
    • Write a program to convert numbers to written numbers (i.e. "12343" to "Twelve Thousand, Three Hundred And Forty Three"   Answer Question

Graduate Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Passed the online test, given a telephone interview. The phone screen lasts for about one hour, the guy is nice, but the questions are quite deep. The rejected me at last.

Interview Questions

• How can you write a spelling checker? Which data structure? Why? How do you do the recommendation for wrong words?   1 Answer
    • What's the difference between abstract class and interface?   1 Answer
    • How to design distributed systems to handle the huge amount of requests in Amazon?   Answer Question

Graduate Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got a email approximately one to two weeks after informing me that a programming test was necessary. The technical test consisted of three programming exercises of relatively equal complexity. Two hours were given to complete these exercises. After two days of completing the test, a email was sent with further information.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to calculate the most efficient combination of bus tickets (of different fares) in order to travel for a given number of days.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Brisbane (Australia)) in August 2018.

Interview

I applied in April 2018 and was contacted in August 2018.

I had a phone interview with behavioural, technical and coding questions followed by an invitation for an onsite interview with 4 current Amazon employees where I was asked similar questions.

The interviewers I had were engaged throughout the entire process and were extremely friendly and welcoming.

Graduate Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Luxembourg (Luxembourg)) in June 2019.

Interview

I submitted my profile on their jobs page in October 2018. In November, I got an email where they told me they won't be proceeding with my candidature. Then in February next year, out of the blue, I got another email saying they were reconsidering my application along with a test link. The test contained Analytical and Logical Reasoning questions along with a section of Code Debugging. Right after this, I was sent another link that contained two more tests. The first was a work simulation designed to emulate a typical day of an SDE at Amazon. The other section had two programming questions related to trees and strings. After this, they invited me to a phone interview round. This contained behavioural questions as well as a coding question. The interviewer also encouraged me to ask him questions. After the phone interview, I didn't get hear for about four weeks from them, after which, they asked me for my availability for an onsite interview. They helped me get a Visa as well as booked hotel and flights for me. Things got a bit delayed over here as Visa processing took more time than typical. I had three onsite interviews which were exactly similar to my phone interview pattern. The coding questions were on the medium side; nothing too difficult. It's important to ask solid questions at the end of each interview and also perform well in the behavioural questions. Two working days after my interview, I received the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Typical Amazon behavioural questions with easy/medium coding questions. I am not allowed to release the specifics because of the NDA.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

First there were 2 Online assessments. The first had 2 parts(debugging and multiple choice). The second one was also consisted of 2 parts. After those I had a phone interview.
    Finally I was invited for an onsite interview.