Amazon Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.6

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial phone screen by engineer manager, basic computer science questions, collections, big O, work experience
2nd phone screen with online coding via colabedit.com some quick question regarding web servers and http. Most of the time was a coding example re students, tests, quizzes and calculating a class score.

On site interview met with 6 engineers all afternoon about 6 hours total.
Most were technical solve on the white board type questions one was more of the out of the box type of questions.

The coding questions were varied but all were more that a quick algorithm more like here is a problem write the code to solve it.

Things like there are n people in a circle and every y person mus sit down write the algorithm to do this. Then If I am the first person in the circle how can I make sure I amd the last person.

Interview Questions

• Again solve this on a white board. Heard of the game Boggle. Ok then write an algorithm to solve a boggle came of 7x7 board.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I have initiated communicated with recruiter via linkedIn.
    On next day the first phone interview has been scheduled.
    At total, during next 2 weeks had 4 phone interviews.
    After last one i have been invited to fly to Seattle for one day on site interview.
    The overall experience is very positive.
    The recruiters works very fast, waited no more for 2 days to get result from phone interview.
    The onsite interview I did on Friday and next Tue afternoon I got a job offer.

Interview Questions

• The technical questions was very interesting but nothing not expected. Cannot share more information, since has been asked not to publish it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

I was contacted through LinkedIn by the AWS Mobile division, as I had stated in my profile that I had been developing SDKs for mobile applications. The whole process lasted two months and Amazon HR were extremely helpful and straightforward throughout.

The first steps were a couple of Skype interviews and a CV profiling, which took a week. After that, they announced they were going on a recruiting trip to Barcelona, in the same dates as the Mobile World Congress. They offered to pay for all expenses, including plane, taxi and hotel, so I could make it to Barcelona for the personal interviews.

Personal interviews were at the same time interesting and puzzling. They set up shop in a touristic apartment building, and interviewed 4 candidates each morning. Each candidate was shown a room and stayed there while the interviewers were rotating. Interview slasted one hour and were half technical (simple problem resolution) and half personal (predefined questions and general chatting). The technical part was quite easy: pen and paper exercises writing algorightms for tree traversing, sorting, parsing HTML, and such. Interviewers were specially interested in knowing the order of magnitude of my solutions and if I could devise some ways to optimize them without the limitations of a pen and paper test.

On the other hand, the personal questions were a stopper. For starters, the interviewers were developers just like me, not HR people and not even managers. They weren't used to asking those kind of questions and it showed, as they were unable to get the conversation going if I stumbled finding an answer or simply understanding the question. That was a bummer, because once we put aside the standard questions and started chatting about what they did in Amazon, and more technical details, it was really fun and interesting. Personal questions didn't allow me to speak about myself in a freely manner, so I had to use those 15 minutes between interviews to pass along some tips about my strong points.

The standard personal questions they had to ask (and write down the answers, as they really didn't have the means, nor the interest of expanding on them) were all of the kind: "Tell me about a past experience where you... resolved a conflict with a teammate | provided value for a client | had to deal with a deadline you couldn't meet ...". Those questions were really exhausting, because I had first to understand what they were really asking and what kind of answer was expected. Then, to navigate through my memory to find a suitable experience to tell. And finally, translate it to comprehensible terms, which in the case of a developer often implies a lot of technical context sure to be lost in the transcription. Worst of all, there wasn't any of the more usual questions like "things you do well, things you must improve, what do you want to do in the future, etc." that you may have rehearsed.

I was told I would receive an answer after a week, but I didn't. I kept asking by e-mail each week, and always told I was still in the process and a decision had not been made yet. After more than three weeks I was finally told the positions had been covered by other candidates. I reckon I was being kept as a replacement in case some of them didn't accept their offer.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to elaborate about an example of my technical creativity: present the problem to the interviewer and delineate the solution in quite a detailed way.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

2 phone interviews followed by one written exam and onsite interview. Most of the questions are around algorithm and data structures. Look for trees and hash tables and distributed designs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Tempe, AZ) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who was scheduling for a hiring event. After a 15 minutes conversation with the recruiter, I was offered an on-site interview. I was interviewed by 1 Development Manager and 3 Senior Engineers (each of whom had another engineer shadowing them to take notes). Behavioral questions were the same any employer would ask. Technical questions were challenging but they will help you out when you are struggling.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a decision you made directly impacted the customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Cambridge, MA) in February 2014.

Interview

Reached out to Amazon Recruiter via LinkedIn. The Recruiter responded very quickly. After a Phone screen by the recruiter, got scheduled for a local Hiring-event in Cambridge.

The interview was a typical 4-hour long event. 5 different sets of people, each chatting for about 45mins. I did 4 of the 5 okay...took a little longer to come up with the answer they were looking for in one case. Oh well...

Interview Questions

• Write a program to generate a "Unique Ticket" for each request. The number of requests could be quite large - up to a million per second.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2012.

Interview

Had a telephone interview that was 100% technical coding questions. No history, no interests, barely even an introduction. Just "Hi. Code this." I expressed little interest in the position after the feel I got so can't comment on the rest of the process. Didn't get a very positive feeling from the people or company.

Interview Questions

• Pretty well all expected coding questions on data manipulation, algorithm optimization, efficiency, etc.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cape Town (South Africa)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Cape Town (South Africa)) in June 2011.

Interview

Interview process was entirely technical. I did not get any psychological evaluation. I was left being quite impressed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Hold out for more money, more shares.

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

My overall experience was just /ok/. I did not find out until I was in the fourth interview with the manager of the group that this role was not what I was applying for. The recruiter was excellent and helped me navigate a lot of detail around moving to the US, taxation, health care and so on. I was provided with a lot of documentation on these things before the first technical interview. The first two technical interviews were very straight forward but they were definitely a cold experience. They seemed quite bored with the process and just read off a list of questions and I answered them, sometimes with required code samples which were done on a website with a shared text editor.