Amazon Network Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 8, 2017

3.9

29 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

2 Phone Screens and One onsite interview.Interviewers are not expecting straight forward answers .They need you to explain the theories from bottom to top. They keep asking you questions from a section until the point you can't answer anymore . When you stuck they do change the topic and ask questions in different topic and continue to deep.
None of the questions are asked from vendor commands or configuration based and interview will be lasted for 1 hour .

Hope anyone will take a advantage of this .

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you work innovatively ?
    Explain a situation where you worked overriding a company procedure ?
    Explain a situation where you achieved a Goal and how you would have achieve it better if you have a chance now ?

#TCP Questions
    How does the TCP work ? Explain Flow control and Windowing in detail ?
    What are the TCP flags ? Explain in detail when they are used ?
    If one packet is missed during the transfer(From 8,9,10 packet 10 is missed) how can you get that packet back ?
    What is Acknowledgment and Sequencing ? What is the difference ?

#Routing Protocol Questions
    You will have to select one of the protocol..Either OSPF or BGP .I chose OSPF.
    What are the OSPF states ? What is happening at each state ?
    What are the pre-requisite to be OSPF neighbors ?
    If a Router is in Ex-Stat State what are the possible cause to stay in that state ?
    How does OSPF prevent loops ?
    what are the Stubby area ,totally stuby area and NSSA area what are the types of allowed and blocked at each of the area ?
    How does traceroute work ?
    Once a link down how does it notified to the rest of the network ?
    Why we use areas ?

#Other Questions
    What are the steps your PC browsing the Amazon web site ?
    How does DNS works ? How does trace route works ?
    When PC 1 communicate to PC 2 how it knows the Window size of the Receiver ?
    What happens when there is a packet drop in the Network ? How does TCP over come with it ?
    How does MPLS ping and MPLS traceroute works ?
    What is a BGP Route reflector ?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and after that there were 2 rounds of phone interviews, followed by an onsite. Most technical questions were CCIE level BGP, OSPF and TCP questions. Lot of behavioral questions. BE ready to answer a lot of behavioral questions, do not forget to read their principles. Feel free to ask questions. They test you in every way possible. It will get frustrating but try to not get frustrated. They ask same questions again and again.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever openly disagree to your manager?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

There was one phone interview which went very well. Completely technical for about 1 hour. Then they flew me down to Seattle for a whole day onsite interview. Campus is pretty good. The whole interview process was very thorough. What I didn't like was, they interview everyone with same questions and then decide later what position to offer you. If I would have known this before, I would have never went there. Also, I think is is unfair for people who come with a different background and experience. To make it short, CCNA candidate will get the same interview as CCIE candidate. All questions are CCIE level.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via Linked in for an invitation only recruiting event. They are looking for network engineers. After giving some preliminary information I was set up for a technical phone screen. I was told it it would be a technically in-depth interview. The interviewer called me right on time and reviewed with me who he was and why he was calling. He started out with 3 very standard interview questions like "tell me about a time when you had a difficult issue and how you worked thru it".

After these standard question the technical interview started. I was asked 5 to 7 questions that seemed to be taken straight from a CCNA or CCNP exam. For example one of the questions was "explain how a MAC address forwarding table works.

I asked how other interviews have been and he told me he wasn't sure how he got picked to interview but he thought it was pretty random that he was picked.

So, my interviewer was inexperienced at giving interviews.

Interview Questions

• - Explain how OSPF decides how to forward traffic.
      - What is the difference between iBGP and eBGP and describe the issues with each
      - If you have mismatched native vlan on a trunk will the trunk work? Explain what happens in the protocol that determines its behavior when the native vlan is mismatched.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Amazon.com in august 2014.

Interview was good and make sure you have good understanding of TCP/IP and routing protocols.

behaviour questions were excellent. loved the whole process.

People taking interview were friendly and nice.

Interview Questions

• 2 phone screens and brought to onsite. Interview questions are very in-depth.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

Interview

Initial phone interview went well, followed by onsite 5 rigorous interviews. They dig into technical and scenario based questions.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from the interview scheduler. Total process took 3 months. Two technical phone screens followed by a full day in person interview( combination of technical and behavioral)

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in July 2013.

Interview

2 phone screens and brought to onsite. Interview questions are very in-depth.

Interview Questions

• MPLS question in CCIE level   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Initial phone interview which went well. Called for in person interview.
    Team hiring manger was in Dublin. Interview conducted both in person and long distance via phone.
    Interview went well.
    Never spoke to HR
    Sent email asking for follow up and got no reply.
    Recruiter and I attempted to get some type of information multiple times and neither of us ever received a call or email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

Interview process was very thorough... must have spoken with at least 12 different people.

Original position I applied for was not best suited for me, but they quickly realized other needs I could fill, and redirected me towards those needs, rather than ending the process at that point.

Interview Questions

• without being too specific, because of NDA, the engineering questions were the type of questions that only someone with a CCIE would most likely be able to answer   Answer Question

position offered was not the direction I wanted to go professionally.