Amazon Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017

3.3

37 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I had an interview by phone, which was set up after some initial emails back and forth. I spoke with two individuals, one of whom worked in the HR department and the other worked for the project.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you exhibited leadership in your organization.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was initially contacted by HR and went through a review of my background, the positon and answered a few situational questions. The following week, I had a phone screen with the hiring manager and I was asked the "STAR" format situational questions, as well as general project execution questions. A few days later I was scheduled to interview in Seattle. I had 5 Separate interviewers in Seattle, one of which was an HR person. The interview was exactly as HR had advised i.e. 100% situational tell me about a time when questions. You can't "wing" this interview. When HR advises you to know the "STAR" format and be able to tie your answers to the company principles they mean it. If you don't have the experience they are looking for and or you don't answer in the proper format and highlight company principles it isn't likely you will get past this many experienced interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a decision you made didn't produce the results you wanted.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you disappointed a team member   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

on hour phone interview with a Program Manager - friendly but thorough and direct
    I was given multiple scenarios and was asked for specific examples
    the interviewer was gracious and very knowledgeable in the project management and the specifics of the field

Interview Questions

• give 3 examples of projects where you invented, simplified, delivered results quickly, and were able to scale to a larger result   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

This processes was fairly long as it required 3 phone interviews, upon each one would either pass you on to the next round or decline your application there and the. The final step of the process was an on site, all day of interviews with seven individuals separately.

Interview Questions

• Standard Star Questions; Tell me a time when... "You had a difficult Customer"   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The process was very straight forward. They asked relative questions regarding background and experience. The interviewer was nice and easy to speak with and made several notes. Started with phone interview and proceeded to two more rounds.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge you faced during a project you worked on and how did you over come it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process is detailed. There are behavioral as well as case study questions. I had six interviews. Be clear and concise and map your examples to their principles. They live by their principles so this is a key part. You will also have to do a written submission. Do your Amazon homework!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a decision that did not go your way. How did you deal with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

I found the recruiting team to be very informative to prepare you and ensure you armed with enough detail for the interview process. The interviewers are extremely well-prepared. They ask very thoughtful and thought provoking questions to draw out behavioral based experiences. Plenty of time was provided to ensure the interviewee has time to ask questions as well.

Interview Questions

• Behavior based to align to their leadership skills expectations.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

They us SBO scenarios. Be prepared to meet with several people and to have it be over lunch. I interviewed with 6 people and it was an all day event

Interview Questions

• They asked direct examples of projects and challenges that I have faced previously   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Phone interview questions are not really helpful (but very standard) for them to find the right talent. But this definitely varies from team to team, because Amazon is a big company and every team carries the culture differently.

Interview Questions

• What is the most innovative thing that you have created?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was referred to Recruiting by an employee whom I had been introduced to by a mutual industry contact. Recruiting contacted me via email to setup a 30 minute screening interview, to be conducted over the telephone by a current team member.

The screening interview was pretty basic, focusing on why I was interested in the position and how my experience was relevant. Afterwards, the company went completely dark. After 3 weeks I sent Recruiting an email asking about status. Another week went by before I finally got a response apologizing for the delays. A couple days later I was notified that I would indeed be asked to participate in a formal, onsite interview.

After the date for my onsite interview had been confirmed (one week out), I was sent a situational interview question in email and asked to submit a written response (2-4 pages) prior to my interview. I had heard that writing and white papers were a big part of how the company goes about its business. It wasn't difficult, I just wasn't expecting to have to submit anything.

The afternoon before my scheduled onsite interview I received my detailed itinerary for the day - seven 45min - 1hr long interviews!!! The interviewers consisted of the hiring manager, the hiring manager's manager, a recruiter, several x-org peers with whom you would be collaborating with, and an individual who had nothing to do with the specific role; who was really there to assess your potential to be successful in other parts of the company.

As for the interviews themselves - every question I was asked was situation-based and was rooted in one of the company's 14 management principles highlighted on their career site. Be sure to review these ahead of time and come prepared to provide an example from your work experience for each.

I was a bit surprised that I was not asked a single question about my knowledge of the subject matter area related to this position or my experience doing the exact same work at another company. It was really all about fit and culture. Which I apparently didn't align with, because, in spite my experience in the area, I was not offered the position. When I asked the recruiter for feedback, I just got a terse response stating the recruiter didn't get any feedback from the team. Done, end of process.

Interview Questions

• This was a Project Management position, so all the questions related to how I would go about planning, prioritizing, communicating ideas/status, managing trade-offs and influencing the business to act. They were not particularly difficult for me to answer given my experience. One vague, hypothetical question did catch me off guard, though. In a situation where your intuition tells you there is a potential business opportunity, how do you go about finding the data necessary to substantiate it? Where do you even start?   1 Answer