Amazon Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Project Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2017

3.2

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

The process was very straight forward. They asked relative questions regarding background and experience. The interviewer was nice and easy to speak with and made several notes. Started with phone interview and proceeded to two more rounds.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge you faced during a project you worked on and how did you over come it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process is detailed. There are behavioral as well as case study questions. I had six interviews. Be clear and concise and map your examples to their principles. They live by their principles so this is a key part. You will also have to do a written submission. Do your Amazon homework!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a decision that did not go your way. How did you deal with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

I found the recruiting team to be very informative to prepare you and ensure you armed with enough detail for the interview process. The interviewers are extremely well-prepared. They ask very thoughtful and thought provoking questions to draw out behavioral based experiences. Plenty of time was provided to ensure the interviewee has time to ask questions as well.

Interview Questions

• Behavior based to align to their leadership skills expectations.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Phone interview questions are not really helpful (but very standard) for them to find the right talent. But this definitely varies from team to team, because Amazon is a big company and every team carries the culture differently.

Interview Questions

• What is the most innovative thing that you have created?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was referred to Recruiting by an employee whom I had been introduced to by a mutual industry contact. Recruiting contacted me via email to setup a 30 minute screening interview, to be conducted over the telephone by a current team member.

The screening interview was pretty basic, focusing on why I was interested in the position and how my experience was relevant. Afterwards, the company went completely dark. After 3 weeks I sent Recruiting an email asking about status. Another week went by before I finally got a response apologizing for the delays. A couple days later I was notified that I would indeed be asked to participate in a formal, onsite interview.

After the date for my onsite interview had been confirmed (one week out), I was sent a situational interview question in email and asked to submit a written response (2-4 pages) prior to my interview. I had heard that writing and white papers were a big part of how the company goes about its business. It wasn't difficult, I just wasn't expecting to have to submit anything.

The afternoon before my scheduled onsite interview I received my detailed itinerary for the day - seven 45min - 1hr long interviews!!! The interviewers consisted of the hiring manager, the hiring manager's manager, a recruiter, several x-org peers with whom you would be collaborating with, and an individual who had nothing to do with the specific role; who was really there to assess your potential to be successful in other parts of the company.

As for the interviews themselves - every question I was asked was situation-based and was rooted in one of the company's 14 management principles highlighted on their career site. Be sure to review these ahead of time and come prepared to provide an example from your work experience for each.

I was a bit surprised that I was not asked a single question about my knowledge of the subject matter area related to this position or my experience doing the exact same work at another company. It was really all about fit and culture. Which I apparently didn't align with, because, in spite my experience in the area, I was not offered the position. When I asked the recruiter for feedback, I just got a terse response stating the recruiter didn't get any feedback from the team. Done, end of process.

Interview Questions

• This was a Project Management position, so all the questions related to how I would go about planning, prioritizing, communicating ideas/status, managing trade-offs and influencing the business to act. They were not particularly difficult for me to answer given my experience. One vague, hypothetical question did catch me off guard, though. In a situation where your intuition tells you there is a potential business opportunity, how do you go about finding the data necessary to substantiate it? Where do you even start?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Interview

I had a phone screening "interview" with the hiring manager which lasted about 15 minutes. I then had a second phone interview with one of the department team leaders and I had a third phone interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Within the first 30 seconds of the final interview, I knew that the interview was not going to go well. The interviewer was cold but professional and I could tell that he wasn't interested. I was asked how I could prove that I would be a great addition to the department and I as I started answering the question with details, the interviewer interrupted and said "no, I want you to explain how you can be a good fit in this particular department".   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I had two interviews.
    The first one by phone with the hiring manager.
    He introduced the role, gave me a few insights and asked me some question to find out more about my qualifications and background.
    No particular odd or strange question. All down to earth and based on the job that needed to be done.
    Second interview with all team members. Each had a series of questions, but once again, based on the need of the work and no tricky question.

Interview Questions

• Question were straight forward and to the point. No odd or unusual question such as "how many tennis balls to fill an airplane"...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The interview process was gruelling. 7+ interviews in a single day and 2 phone interviews. They took their time to interview me thoroughly. It was rewarding and challenging. Typical question but they would like to see how you think

Interview Questions

• Too many to list but be confident in yourself and do not try to BS your way. That might work at Microsoft but not here.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Typical.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

After an informational interview in the fall, I was contacted in the spring by recruiter regarding a position that was initially slated for contract that switched to full time. Thus began "the gauntlet" of interviews: 3 phone screens, 4 video conferences, 3 in-person and one other background check.

Interview Questions

• What practical steps have you taken to elicit maximum contributions from each member of your team?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation - I gave a range, they told me their base + hiring bonus and that was it.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

HR Contacted and scheduled an Interview with the hiring manager. He did a telephone interview and asked a couple of generic questions, and other very easy technical questions (like name two layers of the OSI model). After that I got an email from HR telling me that they wouldn't move forward with the interview process. During the interview I had the feeling that the hiring manager already had his choice and only needed to interview other candidates as part of the process.