Amazon Senior Software Development Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Amazon

3.2

Senior Manager, Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Got invited for the personal interview after initial phone screen. Was interviewed by 6 interviewers. Most of the questions were of the nature 'Tell me about a time when you had to discipliine an employee, a time when you had to make a judgement call under time pressure' etc. I thought I did pretty well in the interview, but did not get an offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Senior Manager, Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter based on my linked in profile
    Had 3 phone interviews, including 1 technical screen

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from HR in 1 week. She scheduled a phone screening interview. I have asked her a follow up question about the interview: salary range and the role of the person conducting the interviews. I received no repose at all. After a phone screening I got no feedback as well.

Senior Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Went through a phone screen with someone from HR followed by two technical phone interviews. After that I was brought out to Seattle to interview in person. That day was especially grueling with 6 interviews lasting 45 minutes each including one over lunch which was especially awkward to be interviewed at the same time as you tried to eat lunch. Overall, I can't say I was overly surprised with any of the content but the length of time and number of interviews that you went through made for a long day.

Interview Questions

• On the whiteboard, design a high-availability system that can take in the periodic table of elements and then output the largest word that can be formed with the elements. Once that was done, describe and design different ways to optimize the system.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

Recruiter responded to online application and set up two phone interviews. Hiring manager failed to call for initial phone screen and was re-scheduled a week later. First phone screen lasted one hour and consisted of questions regarding management styles, employee retention, and hiring practices. Had to follow up with recruiter for follow-up phone screen which was conducted about 8 days later. Second phone interview was once again one hour and consisted of two team members. Questions consisted of dealing with aggressive schedules and managers who demand delivery of software in an unrealistic time frame. Additional question involved what performance criteria one would monitor using http. The interview was conducted over a speaker phone while the interviewer typed answers into a computer. The interviewers displayed less than desired communication skills, provided no details on the position, and appeared to have limited exposure to disciplined and industry software development standards. Little time to ask questions at the end and the answers were lackluster. Recruiter only reachable via email and took several days for response. I've been in the industry nearly 30 years and I was a bit disappointed with the interview techniques. It will be difficult to attract high caliber experienced candidates unless their process is improved.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if senior management demanded delivery of software in an impossible deadline?   3 Answers
    • What methods would you use to retain employees within the company?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Denver, CO) in August 2018.

Interview

I didn't apply, I was contacted via LinkedIn and asked if I was interested in 'tech lead'. I am an engineering executive so 'tech lead' means exec committees, vision, coaching leadership, etc.. I didn't know what level they sought.

I agreed and spoke with a recruiter. It went well and I was given a timed online exam.

Next was a phone interview about my experience. It went well and they asked me to come on-site. I still didn't know leadership level.

I asked questions about potential positions, level, department and was given generic duties of a Sr. SDM. I was told about 'title deflation' and given prep material for an SDM. Duties of Directors better align with my experience and career stage, however. My questions weren't adequately addressed.

I was given a writing assignment and scheduled for an on-site loop. They covered travel and expenses. The hotel was ok and a 20 minute walk from the interview location.

4 interviews were scheduled but became 5 when onsite. Some had flights scheduled and needed to scramble.

We were brought to individual rooms and interviewers came to us.

I'd prepared for an SDI as one interview, but half way through the first we started an SDI question. I was flustered as only 25 minutes remained.

** Issue: I am analytical, design systems thoughtfully, but I process 'inside'. I don't do my best work off the cuff at a whiteboard. I asked questions and tried, but likely didn't do well.

This doesn't reflect my design abilities, however. It assesses processing 'outloud'. Having hired many people, I don't believe this assesses design abilities, but a single way of verbal problem solving.

I prepared more than I have for other interviews, but not enough of this means of communication. I process 'inside' yet was graded against another style.

As if there is only one way.

The interviews improved, I believe. I connected when I was able, but they were regimented.

**Issue: The regimented, time constrained interviews meant that I had little chance to present what makes me unique, my passions regarding leadership and tech.

I didn't have the opportunity to present the examples I'd prepared of all the leadership traits and specifically the ones I was coached to highlight. Questions were focused on negative situations, which I understand, but little time on positives and wins. I prepared to talk about failures, rebounds and growth, but couldn't. Questions were so specific that my examples didn't fit.

They kept driving technical problem for crazy scale. I received positive feedback during some of these but don't know for sure.

Lunch was brought to my room and I ate alone.

This isn't a sour grapes "I didn't get the job and it's all their fault" post. I just didn't hit the rubric. My SDI was spotty. My on-the-fly process-out-loud responses were not as good as they could be. My answers weren't solid STAR format either!

I own it.

The reality is that the average tenure for new hires is 18 months, as I understand it. That it's not for everyone. I wonder if this process for leadership selection is missing a human element of growing and nurturing employees? It finds technical talent with good white boarding skills and people better than me at staffing metrics.

Does it find LEADERS, though?

What of the leadership culture if the focus is on technology, metrics and hitting a well known interview rubric?

"Will you admire this person?" as asked by Bezos. I don't feel I could demonstrate who I was, so why would my interviewers answer that positively?

I know that I can help Amazon and also know that I am NOT cutout for this interview process. This seems to favor those that study to the test, hit the rubric, think and process in their way (or are better at faking it).

There are books and videos and services available to ace this interview. But why? I believe Amazon recognizes and hires people who conform for those 5 hours. Not for who they are, but for how they conform.

As a leader of leaders, I felt I was interviewing for an entry level, first manager job. This was confirmed during one of the interviews, even. Managing a single team or perhaps two. I had just re-org'ed 5 departments, developed new programs and managed outside relationships. 15 years ago, I was recruited to revamp multiple engineering teams.

Perhaps I was talking with the wrong people? Interviewing for the wrong role?

So, I give it a thumbs down. I completely own that I didn't hit the interview. No doubt. I'm disappointed in the narrow definition of leader and how they should think and communicate.

Perhaps the short tenure of new employees coupled with this interview methodology are related...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone screen followed by in house interviews. I met a number of people at different levels from senior developers through to two directors. After that they offered me a job a long way below my experience and that which I applied for and did so in quite an insulting manner - along the lines of we're Amazon and you should be grateful. Needless to say I turned them down. To anyone else considering taking the time out of work to talk to them, I suggest getting them to put a detailed job description in writing to you before you waste your time.

Interview Questions

• Various things about how I approach technical and people problems.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Standard process. I am super pissed with their reimbursement process. I sent the receipts and everything for a small dollar amount and have not received it after 3 months. they keep asking me for one information or another and seem to have lost my original reimbursement form,. This is super unprofessional and needs to be corrected. They have assigned this to India and a timezone issue prevents from having a decent follow-up

Senior Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Very bad experience.
    Looks like they come with just an agenda of rejecting the candidate. Honestly the interview sucks.
    Telephonic interview cannot give good perspective about candidates. And all the more, the way these guys take interviews is screwing that up further.

Interview Questions

• He spoke to me 45 minutes just enquiring general stuff on all aspects of product, project and people management.
      Finally one question, what is the best algorithm for finding a prime number.
      With these he decided my fate with Amazon.   1 Answer

Senior Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Bengaluru (India)) in July 2013.

Interview

Interviews in Bangalore office never follows the guideline as advertized in the website. There were no telephonic interviews at all and a mere single round of face to face interview for a senior position. Just 3 questions of which one was about yourself and 2 design questions that too at an algorithmic level.

1. For a set of streaming numbers (maybe billions) design a data structure to compute sum, average and median.

2. Design an Instant Messaging system at a high level including the possible number of servers for around 10 million users. The features include buddy list and presence updates.

Also an opinion was formed that iPhone SDK does not support C++.

The organization should definitely refine the process considering the fact that a single opinion is normally not considered good enough to hire senior professionals.

Interview Questions

• Design an Instant Messaging system at a high level including the possible number of servers for around 10 million users. The features include buddy list and presence updates.   Answer Question