Amazon Software Developer Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Developer Engineer II Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

A programming challenge followed by 4 1 hour in person rounds. They flew me in to Seattle, checked me in to a down town hotel. 1 System design and 3 coding rounds. Each interviewer asked a few behavioral questions. 2 days later I got the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered the salary I asked for. I negotiated the signing bonus and rsus.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Cupertino, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The recruiter reached me out over LinkedIn. I had a technical phone screen followed by on site. The technical phone screen question was quite challenging. Something to do with text justification.
    The onsite interview consisted of 3 behavioral rounds which was quite strange, since, I was interviewing for a technical role. One of the rounds included people from sales department. The two technical rounds were easy as they consisted mostly of questions from leetcode, along with few java and design questions.

Interview Questions

• Signed the NDA, so will prefer not to answer.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (SeaTac, WA).

Interview

Couple of phone screens and later asked to fly for onsite interview.

Onsite interview had four rounds.
    First two are white board sessions.
    Third and four was for system design and performance optimization. Every round they at least 3 behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the least common ancestor of given two nodes in a tree   2 Answers
    • Design Amazon locker system   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

2 phone screens. 6 rounds of onsite interview. Pretty nice interviewers expect for the bar raiser. The questions were not very difficult. I have no time preparsion. But my resume was pretty solid.

Interview Questions

• Normal questions. Not very difficult. The bar raiser asked a detail question about the linux system. How it works, how it starts. A very surprising question compared to algorithmic problems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

Phone screen for some brief introduction, project experiences, and 1-2 algorithm questions, but not complex. On-site will take 4-5 hours, and each pass will be tested for algorithm and OO design. You may not need to work out all the questions, but you have to be shown potential. You can negotiate on offer.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

Amazon's software development interviews arent the most technically difficult but they do dive into various aspects of working in a team, designing large scale, fault tolerant software.
    Most interviewers and the recruiter were extremely friendly and helpful.

First was an online screening on HackerRank, followed by a phone debriefing and finally an
    on site interview for 4 hours with 4 different interviewers. The onsite interviews consisted of 3 algorithm questions and a design question. Both coding and design questions were to be whiteboarded and error-free code was expected.
    Before each coding or design question, there were also a series of behavioral and questions relating to past experience and design choices.

All in all, a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Cant mention specific questions (NDA). Would highly recommend knowing stacks, queues, dictionaries, recursion and dynamic programming.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I have applied through employee referral. After 10 days, I got a mail from HR to schedule a telephonic interview if interested. The interview process is described in the mail as Two telephonic interviews followed by onsite round. Each Telephonic round is for one hour. once we are through in the first telephone round. We will be called for second round. I got a reject mail after second round.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, One question from resume and One data structure question followed by a design question in each round   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

phone interview with online coding, the problem was easy, but it seemed that the interviewer was expecting more, no idea ... and no offer... how long need I wait before applying the position again?

Interview Questions

• output binary tree by level   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Solved online test and they called for in-person interview as part of "hiring event".
    There were 4 of us waiting at the reception on the day of the interview. Recruiter asked us to follow him. Each candidate was assigned a room and then 4 interviewers rotated among us. 4 interviews, 45 mins each.
    Funny part is 2 of the interviewers called me by wrong name middle of the interview, I corrected them and then they realized they were interviewing someone else : 0.

Interview Questions

• Questions

(A1) Design a single machine, single user system for hotel table reservations.
      Constraints: assume 16 tables with capacity 4, 16 tables with capacity 8. Can book for just 1 hr. Max 2 months in advance.
      Which classes, which data-stuctures?
      (A2) What happens when a party of 16 requests for a table. You can join tables which are next to each other. Implement this.

------

(B1) Design a deck of cards.
      (B2) Now assume 10 million users are using this card deck.

-------

(C1) Given a binary tree, print all the leaf nodes.
      (C2) Now, print all the left most nodes, and all right most nodes ( assume there is a triangle around the binary tree, so all nodes which falls on that triangle , print them in clockwise ordering).

------

(D1) Given an array which contains series of 0s and series of 1s, find the index where 1s start.
      How would you test this method?
      (D2) Assume input array has infinite length, how will you find the index in O(logn) time?

----------
      Answers:

A1. Array of size 32. Each element in the array contains linkedList sorted by startTime where each link represents timeslot that is already booked/reserved.

A2. Get a list of tables which are available in the requested time period, check if there is a contiguous set of tables which total up to 16 and then reserve those tables.

B1. Deck class. Card class. Suit enum. Value Enum. Card contains Value and Suit enums. Deck contains an array of 52 cards. Constructor of Deck initializes 52 card class.
      Card should expose comparable interface.
      Deck should expose Shuffle and iterator interface.
      Some considerations: Should Deck be singleton? Should Deck be made generic to accept different types of cards? Should Desk be made threadsafe?

B2. If there are 10 million users on the same machine using 10 million Decks, then we don't really need 520 million cards.
      Each Card instance is immutable. So we just need 52 card instances which are shared between 10 million Decks.

C1: Leaf nodes: Preorder traversal limited to leaves.
      C2: Left side: Preorder traversal limited to nodes which matches certain criteria.
          Right side: Only visit those nodes that meet certain criteria - Post Order traversal.

D1: binary search O(logN)
           Testcases: null array, empty array, array with just one element - 0, array with just one element - 1.
                 array with only 0s. array with only 1s. 5 element array with 2 0s and 3 1s, array with numbers other then 0 and 1.

D2: 2 step process: (i) Find the block in which transition from 0 to 1 happens. (ii)Then find the exact index within that block.
      For #i, consider first block with size K, if no transition in this block, then check next block with size 2K, then 4K, then 8K. Once we find the block with transition then step#ii is simple binary search.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Initially i got a call from recruiter and he scheduled an interview with client and i never received a reply back after the interview. i did good on the coding part but the interviewer wasn't sure of what he asked and he said he have a meeting and left in just 30 minutes.