Amazon Software Developer Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Developer Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

A programming challenge followed by 4 1 hour in person rounds. They flew me in to Seattle, checked me in to a down town hotel. 1 System design and 3 coding rounds. Each interviewer asked a few behavioral questions. 2 days later I got the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered the salary I asked for. I negotiated the signing bonus and rsus.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a technical recruiter. The first part of the interview was an online assessment. There were 2 coding questions to complete. Upon compiling I got to know if the test cases ran successfully. The specifications and details from the executions are provided from a couple of test cases. There are some additional test cases that run in the background, however I can only see a summary of the number of test cases that passed. I cleared all the test cases with details but only half of the test cases running in the background. After the coding test is a short behaviour quiz that describes various attributes and requires an input selection from a scale of 1 to 5.

After the online assessment, I was contacted a week later for a phone-in interview. Then I was again contacted within a week for an on-site interview. Both interviews were well setup. Interviewers were on-time and were easy to interact with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Cupertino, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The recruiter reached me out over LinkedIn. I had a technical phone screen followed by on site. The technical phone screen question was quite challenging. Something to do with text justification.
    The onsite interview consisted of 3 behavioral rounds which was quite strange, since, I was interviewing for a technical role. One of the rounds included people from sales department. The two technical rounds were easy as they consisted mostly of questions from leetcode, along with few java and design questions.

Interview Questions

• Signed the NDA, so will prefer not to answer.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and sent my CV for a recruitment event.

Nearly after 1 week, they sent me a HackerRank test. There were 3 questions; 2 coding (1 trivial, 1 requires some fundamental algorithm knowledge) and 1 analysis (runtime complexity analysis of the second coding question).

After HackerRank test, they invited me on-site. The event was in a hotel and in a good environment. I had 4 on-site interviews; 2 coding, 1 algorithm and 1 system design.
    - Coding questions were straightforward questions. They just want you to code carefully and analyze your code properly after finishing. Normally they ask 1 question in each but I finished early and answered second questions in each (which I heard, more positive for a candidate).

- Algorithm question is again a coding question but more like competitive programming style. Difference between this and coding interview is, prepare to be asked some structures that you will not be using in your daily work. I coded some fancy data structure and made its analysis. I don't know they ask you a second one if you finish early.

- In system interview, they ask you to design a distributed system for a given case. Not a coding round, just whiteboard and boxes.

Nearly 2 weeks after the interview I got an email from the recruiter that I will get an offer and 2 weeks after that I got the offer. They are open to bargain, so I got a small raise for the offer and accepted it.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

I was referred by an existing employee, so my experience may have differed. I was contacted by a recruiter who setup a phone screen. The recruiter sent me a good amount of literature and suggested practice. I did a couple practice questions on a coding website and reviewed the leadership principles. The phone screen consisted of a leadership/behavioral question and a pretty straight-forward technical evaluation. The interviewer "inclined" me for an onsite. The recruiter sent me more info this time and spent 45 mins on the phone with me discussing what to expect and helping me prep. The onsite consisted of 5 interviews with managers and developers. In each, I was evaluated on two leadership principles (some subtly woven into conversation or the technical, some asked blatantly) and one technical evaluation on the whiteboard. Most of the technicals were coding, but one was more discussion on what an API would look like for some real-world interaction. I enjoyed the more free form one the most as we got to talk through a lot of scenarios. I was right on the edge of L4/5 technically, but a solid L5 for leadership, so I got the bump.

Interview Questions

• What would an API look like for the interactions between a plane and air traffic control.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They came in well above my asking, so I did not negotiate salary. I took a vacation cut as they were unwilling to negotiate time off. Their total comp package seems very standardized.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

For the onsite interview at Seattle, Amazon paid me everything including flight, accommodation, local transportation and food. I was interviewed by 6 people, 1 of which came from human resource group. Coding questions were not challenging, but many system and OO design questions were asked. I was not quite familiar with the design-type questions, which should have been prepared well in advance. Overall it was a great interview experience. Although I did not get an offer, I learnt a lot on my weakness.

Interview Questions

• OO design: Black Jack Game. System design: Amazon video subscription.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (SeaTac, WA).

Interview

Couple of phone screens and later asked to fly for onsite interview.

Onsite interview had four rounds.
    First two are white board sessions.
    Third and four was for system design and performance optimization. Every round they at least 3 behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the least common ancestor of given two nodes in a tree   1 Answer
    • Design Amazon locker system   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2016.

Interview

The interviewer was not able to communicate and the whole process felt rushed. Just wanted to share my two cents. A junior developer in charge of interview for a Senior. Interviewer has a fixed answer to questions asked and not able to understand any other approach. The problem here was it's a design questions which is generally ambiguous. Interview process needs to improve.

Interview Questions

• two questions . 1) Coding 2) Design Question.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I have applied through employee referral. After 10 days, I got a mail from HR to schedule a telephonic interview if interested. The interview process is described in the mail as Two telephonic interviews followed by onsite round. Each Telephonic round is for one hour. once we are through in the first telephone round. We will be called for second round. I got a reject mail after second round.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, One question from resume and One data structure question followed by a design question in each round   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

phone interview with online coding, the problem was easy, but it seemed that the interviewer was expecting more, no idea ... and no offer... how long need I wait before applying the position again?

Interview Questions

• output binary tree by level   1 Answer