Amazon Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

A programming challenge followed by 4 1 hour in person rounds. They flew me in to Seattle, checked me in to a down town hotel. 1 System design and 3 coding rounds. Each interviewer asked a few behavioral questions. 2 days later I got the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered the salary I asked for. I negotiated the signing bonus and rsus.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Cupertino, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The recruiter reached me out over LinkedIn. I had a technical phone screen followed by on site. The technical phone screen question was quite challenging. Something to do with text justification.
    The onsite interview consisted of 3 behavioral rounds which was quite strange, since, I was interviewing for a technical role. One of the rounds included people from sales department. The two technical rounds were easy as they consisted mostly of questions from leetcode, along with few java and design questions.

Interview Questions

• Signed the NDA, so will prefer not to answer.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

I was referred by an existing employee, so my experience may have differed. I was contacted by a recruiter who setup a phone screen. The recruiter sent me a good amount of literature and suggested practice. I did a couple practice questions on a coding website and reviewed the leadership principles. The phone screen consisted of a leadership/behavioral question and a pretty straight-forward technical evaluation. The interviewer "inclined" me for an onsite. The recruiter sent me more info this time and spent 45 mins on the phone with me discussing what to expect and helping me prep. The onsite consisted of 5 interviews with managers and developers. In each, I was evaluated on two leadership principles (some subtly woven into conversation or the technical, some asked blatantly) and one technical evaluation on the whiteboard. Most of the technicals were coding, but one was more discussion on what an API would look like for some real-world interaction. I enjoyed the more free form one the most as we got to talk through a lot of scenarios. I was right on the edge of L4/5 technically, but a solid L5 for leadership, so I got the bump.

Interview Questions

• What would an API look like for the interactions between a plane and air traffic control.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They came in well above my asking, so I did not negotiate salary. I took a vacation cut as they were unwilling to negotiate time off. Their total comp package seems very standardized.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2016.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter and have phone screen with the Hiring manager. Then on-site at Seattle Office with the 5 Software engineers who are not on the same team. And They asked me some basic coding question and what language I used in my previous workplace. It was 1:1 white board and coding interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work at Amazon?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and sent my CV for a recruitment event.

Nearly after 1 week, they sent me a HackerRank test. There were 3 questions; 2 coding (1 trivial, 1 requires some fundamental algorithm knowledge) and 1 analysis (runtime complexity analysis of the second coding question).

After HackerRank test, they invited me on-site. The event was in a hotel and in a good environment. I had 4 on-site interviews; 2 coding, 1 algorithm and 1 system design.
    - Coding questions were straightforward questions. They just want you to code carefully and analyze your code properly after finishing. Normally they ask 1 question in each but I finished early and answered second questions in each (which I heard, more positive for a candidate).

- Algorithm question is again a coding question but more like competitive programming style. Difference between this and coding interview is, prepare to be asked some structures that you will not be using in your daily work. I coded some fancy data structure and made its analysis. I don't know they ask you a second one if you finish early.

- In system interview, they ask you to design a distributed system for a given case. Not a coding round, just whiteboard and boxes.

Nearly 2 weeks after the interview I got an email from the recruiter that I will get an offer and 2 weeks after that I got the offer. They are open to bargain, so I got a small raise for the offer and accepted it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

For the onsite interview at Seattle, Amazon paid me everything including flight, accommodation, local transportation and food. I was interviewed by 6 people, 1 of which came from human resource group. Coding questions were not challenging, but many system and OO design questions were asked. I was not quite familiar with the design-type questions, which should have been prepared well in advance. Overall it was a great interview experience. Although I did not get an offer, I learnt a lot on my weakness.

Interview Questions

• OO design: Black Jack Game. System design: Amazon video subscription.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

Hiring process was very organized. Recruiter arranged all the schedule and was very flexible. Process started at 9am and ended at about 4pm. There were about 5 rounds in one day. First one was based on my resume, second on javascript, third on problem solving question, fourth on OOPs concept, fifth on HR type questions.

Interview Questions

• A Oops concept question, some javascript question, no questions on sql.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2012.

Interview

Interviewer was not very friendly, sounded like he wasn't interested in interviewing, and was fishing for cookie cutter answers to cookie cutter questions. One question involved a non-standard data structure that the interviewer refused to define for me but wanted to ask questions about. I was going off of general programming experience and college CS, but it seems like that isn't enough and you need to read all of those "100 CS interview secrets!" books cover to cover so you have the same question bank as them. If accepted, I wouldn't have joined, because the interview was indicative of a workplace where requirements are not properly defined and you're just supposed to dream up what is expected of you among uncooperative peers. I ended up interviewing for and accepting a level 3 position at a company of equal reputation a month after this.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is the Big O time for insertion in Doubly Linked Lists   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (SeaTac, WA).

Interview

Couple of phone screens and later asked to fly for onsite interview.

Onsite interview had four rounds.
    First two are white board sessions.
    Third and four was for system design and performance optimization. Every round they at least 3 behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the least common ancestor of given two nodes in a tree   1 Answer
    • Design Amazon locker system   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Solved online test and they called for in-person interview as part of "hiring event".
    There were 4 of us waiting at the reception on the day of the interview. Recruiter asked us to follow him. Each candidate was assigned a room and then 4 interviewers rotated among us. 4 interviews, 45 mins each.
    Funny part is 2 of the interviewers called me by wrong name middle of the interview, I corrected them and then they realized they were interviewing someone else : 0.

Interview Questions

• Questions

(A1) Design a single machine, single user system for hotel table reservations.
      Constraints: assume 16 tables with capacity 4, 16 tables with capacity 8. Can book for just 1 hr. Max 2 months in advance.
      Which classes, which data-stuctures?
      (A2) What happens when a party of 16 requests for a table. You can join tables which are next to each other. Implement this.

------

(B1) Design a deck of cards.
      (B2) Now assume 10 million users are using this card deck.

-------

(C1) Given a binary tree, print all the leaf nodes.
      (C2) Now, print all the left most nodes, and all right most nodes ( assume there is a triangle around the binary tree, so all nodes which falls on that triangle , print them in clockwise ordering).

------

(D1) Given an array which contains series of 0s and series of 1s, find the index where 1s start.
      How would you test this method?
      (D2) Assume input array has infinite length, how will you find the index in O(logn) time?

----------
      Answers:

A1. Array of size 32. Each element in the array contains linkedList sorted by startTime where each link represents timeslot that is already booked/reserved.

A2. Get a list of tables which are available in the requested time period, check if there is a contiguous set of tables which total up to 16 and then reserve those tables.

B1. Deck class. Card class. Suit enum. Value Enum. Card contains Value and Suit enums. Deck contains an array of 52 cards. Constructor of Deck initializes 52 card class.
      Card should expose comparable interface.
      Deck should expose Shuffle and iterator interface.
      Some considerations: Should Deck be singleton? Should Deck be made generic to accept different types of cards? Should Desk be made threadsafe?

B2. If there are 10 million users on the same machine using 10 million Decks, then we don't really need 520 million cards.
      Each Card instance is immutable. So we just need 52 card instances which are shared between 10 million Decks.

C1: Leaf nodes: Preorder traversal limited to leaves.
      C2: Left side: Preorder traversal limited to nodes which matches certain criteria.
          Right side: Only visit those nodes that meet certain criteria - Post Order traversal.

D1: binary search O(logN)
           Testcases: null array, empty array, array with just one element - 0, array with just one element - 1.
                 array with only 0s. array with only 1s. 5 element array with 2 0s and 3 1s, array with numbers other then 0 and 1.

D2: 2 step process: (i) Find the block in which transition from 0 to 1 happens. (ii)Then find the exact index within that block.
      For #i, consider first block with size K, if no transition in this block, then check next block with size 2K, then 4K, then 8K. Once we find the block with transition then step#ii is simple binary search.   Answer Question