Amazon Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 18, 2017

3.4

182 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

Had a first call with recruiter. Second call was with the hiring manager who seemed least interested in taking the interview. She asked me couple of algorithms and scalability related questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

Got an a call with the recruiter after a phone call. Recruiter was very nice, the best I have ever worked with. Very honest and straightforward. We set up a technical phone interview. After the interview, we set up an onsite. The onsite was pretty standard and basically what I expected: heavy focus on behavioral and technical. I would say the split was 60-40. Questions were fairly standard and on the easy side.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview: Lots of technical questions around how technologies work. A lot of it was conceptual. No algorithmic questions.   Answer Question
    • Onsite Interview #1: Intense full behavioral interview around leadership principles   1 Answer
    • Onsite Interview #2: More leadership principle interview   Answer Question
    • Onsite Interview #3: Swap every other element in a linked list. e.g. a->b->c->d becomes b->a->d->c   1 Answer
    • Onsite Interview #4: Write class for trie and searching in a trie   Answer Question
    • Onsite Interview #5: System design interview. Design a system to count in a sliding window   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Started with a recruiter call, followed by a 1-hr online test . It was not difficult if you are well versed with algorithms and can identify patterns in problems. I was then invited to interview at a hiring event, there were about 15 other candidates.

The onsite event had 4 rounds of whiteboard coding, 1 scalable system design, 1 object oriented design and 2 algorithms/problem solving rounds. Each interview had many questions on amazon leadership principles so make sure you read them and also prepare your answers based off those leadership principles.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

A programming challenge followed by 4 1 hour in person rounds. They flew me in to Seattle, checked me in to a down town hotel. 1 System design and 3 coding rounds. Each interviewer asked a few behavioral questions. 2 days later I got the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered the salary I asked for. I negotiated the signing bonus and rsus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Cupertino, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The recruiter reached me out over LinkedIn. I had a technical phone screen followed by on site. The technical phone screen question was quite challenging. Something to do with text justification.
    The onsite interview consisted of 3 behavioral rounds which was quite strange, since, I was interviewing for a technical role. One of the rounds included people from sales department. The two technical rounds were easy as they consisted mostly of questions from leetcode, along with few java and design questions.

Interview Questions

• Signed the NDA, so will prefer not to answer.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and sent my CV for a recruitment event.

Nearly after 1 week, they sent me a HackerRank test. There were 3 questions; 2 coding (1 trivial, 1 requires some fundamental algorithm knowledge) and 1 analysis (runtime complexity analysis of the second coding question).

After HackerRank test, they invited me on-site. The event was in a hotel and in a good environment. I had 4 on-site interviews; 2 coding, 1 algorithm and 1 system design.
    - Coding questions were straightforward questions. They just want you to code carefully and analyze your code properly after finishing. Normally they ask 1 question in each but I finished early and answered second questions in each (which I heard, more positive for a candidate).

- Algorithm question is again a coding question but more like competitive programming style. Difference between this and coding interview is, prepare to be asked some structures that you will not be using in your daily work. I coded some fancy data structure and made its analysis. I don't know they ask you a second one if you finish early.

- In system interview, they ask you to design a distributed system for a given case. Not a coding round, just whiteboard and boxes.

Nearly 2 weeks after the interview I got an email from the recruiter that I will get an offer and 2 weeks after that I got the offer. They are open to bargain, so I got a small raise for the offer and accepted it.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

I was referred by an existing employee, so my experience may have differed. I was contacted by a recruiter who setup a phone screen. The recruiter sent me a good amount of literature and suggested practice. I did a couple practice questions on a coding website and reviewed the leadership principles. The phone screen consisted of a leadership/behavioral question and a pretty straight-forward technical evaluation. The interviewer "inclined" me for an onsite. The recruiter sent me more info this time and spent 45 mins on the phone with me discussing what to expect and helping me prep. The onsite consisted of 5 interviews with managers and developers. In each, I was evaluated on two leadership principles (some subtly woven into conversation or the technical, some asked blatantly) and one technical evaluation on the whiteboard. Most of the technicals were coding, but one was more discussion on what an API would look like for some real-world interaction. I enjoyed the more free form one the most as we got to talk through a lot of scenarios. I was right on the edge of L4/5 technically, but a solid L5 for leadership, so I got the bump.

Interview Questions

• What would an API look like for the interactions between a plane and air traffic control.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They came in well above my asking, so I did not negotiate salary. I took a vacation cut as they were unwilling to negotiate time off. Their total comp package seems very standardized.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

For the onsite interview at Seattle, Amazon paid me everything including flight, accommodation, local transportation and food. I was interviewed by 6 people, 1 of which came from human resource group. Coding questions were not challenging, but many system and OO design questions were asked. I was not quite familiar with the design-type questions, which should have been prepared well in advance. Overall it was a great interview experience. Although I did not get an offer, I learnt a lot on my weakness.

Interview Questions

• OO design: Black Jack Game. System design: Amazon video subscription.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in SeaTac, WA

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (SeaTac, WA).

Interview

Couple of phone screens and later asked to fly for onsite interview.

Onsite interview had four rounds.
    First two are white board sessions.
    Third and four was for system design and performance optimization. Every round they at least 3 behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the least common ancestor of given two nodes in a tree   1 Answer
    • Design Amazon locker system   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

First had a phone screen then was flown in for an on-site interview. Was a smooth process and great communication from recruiter all the way. Received offer the next day after interview.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA, but they tell you what you prepare for -- Amazon Leadership Principles and Data Structures / Algorithms CS coding type questions   Answer Question