Amazon Software Development Engineer III Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer III Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Initially recruiter contacted me and set a phone screen followed by in person interview.

Interview Questions

• Telephone interview:
    Find largest integer from an array of integers. The integers in the array are arranged in strictly increasing (no 2 integers are same) or strictly increasing then decreasing; so like a curve and you have to find the peak. Discuss time complexity. Write code.   3 Answers
  • In Person with 4 people (~45min each):
    1. Check if binary tree A is contained in binary tree B. Write code on paper.
    2. Derive a formula for calculating the angle between the hour hand and minute hand in a clock.
    3. Design a parking lot. Discuss what data structures to use.   1 Answer

1. The offer did not match up to my expectation
2. The work this team was chartered to do was not very exciting.
3. Did not get a good vibe from the hiring manager.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a different role in January. I talked to the recruiter about the position and submitted my resume and we agreed that my skills would be a better fit for a different role. I had two phone interviews in February and was invited to an on-site in early March.

Interview Questions

• "Describe a time when you failed (professionally) and what you learned from it".
      It's not a hard question, but it caught me off guard. I hadn't interview in about 5 years and had trouble with some of these personality questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2013.

Interview

Had one online test with three questions in data structures and algorithms. Was called for onsite. 4 rounds. It was for Amazon Kindle. The interviews were all 45 minutes to 1 hour. Questions asked were Knapsack problem, application of BFS and DFS, Repeated values in an array and basic data structure questions. All the questions need to be answered with time and space complexity.

Interview Questions

• Design the recommendations list for amazon webpage.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in May 2014.

Interview

Get contacted by a recruiter first. She get my information from LinkedIn. Couple days later a phone interview was scheduled. The phone interview went well. The next day, I was asked to go onsite interview. The interview was scheduled two week after. In the headquarter, I met 7 peoples, starting from 8:30am to about 4pm. The interview was OK, most questions are related to the technologies their web sale business needs.

Interview Questions

• How to provide you the products you would be most interested based on your friends shopping history   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2014.

Interview

One technical phone screen, had to write some code using a shared text editor.

Proceeded to onsite technical interview with 4 different people. Every interviewer asked 1 to 2 technical questions that involved writing code on the board.

Software Development Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2014.

Interview

This has to be the most unprofessional hiring experience I've yet seen. Interview went really good, even the interviewer confirmed he was impressed. Another amazon group was interested in interviewing me, but they saw the outstanding interview, so at 2 weeks after I asked the recruiter what happened. She pushed the manager to get the interviewer to do his writeup. I asked again at 3 weeks and found out they still hadn't written anything up about the interview. Recruiter said she elevated to the managers boss. 2 days after asking got a short note they weren't interested. Guess it don't help your application process if the manager gets beat up for slacking off.

Totally unprofessional group.

Interview Questions

• They were all easy. Dynamic programming question and distributed diff question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2013.

Interview

Phone screen was easy. Flew to Seattle. The reception was not great or special. The now famous frugal feel of the place. The meeting room was small and suffocating. Most interviewers were senior. I found the interviewers less conversational. Some of them were antagonistic. We disagreed on some issues, but instead of adjusting their questions to clarify and spell out the reason for disagreement, they repeated the same comment over and over.

Interview Questions

• How to sync user shopping cart over multiple data centers.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Internal recruiter contacted me and scheduled a phone interview with the team manager. We discussed the roles, career path, the team's project and how operations were handled. It was overall a very good "confirm a fit" conversation.

The technical interview, scheduled exactly one week later, was really bad. The interviewer clearly was disinterested conducting in the interview. I could hear him typing furiously on his loud keyboard the whole hour. Although I was trying to talk through my solution as I was writing it, I soon stopped, realizing was he was passively listening. I had to ask him for attention to review my solutions, and he did so poorly. Simply asking "how would you test this?" then immediately returning to distracting keyboard typing. I discovered a critical error while trying to answer his question. He neither noticed, nor was interested in my explanation of what I found wrong. After a few minutes of my dithering for his attention, he plainly stated the response he had wanted to hear. "Randomly generate test data"

This was the end of the interview process, for me. I did not hear back after the technical phone screen.

I understand and appreciate the management principle to hire only the best, but I am disappointed that 20 years of experience was summarily dismissed on the basis of a one hour phone call covering simple technical problems hidden under an elusive "aha" moment.

Interview Questions

• Find if two values in an array add to a third given value.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Worked very closely with the recruiter over a couple of months to work out a time to visit Seattle for an interview. The recruiter was very capable and showed great passion for finding me a good fit in Amazon. On interview day I met with 5 team members (plus a couple of people just sitting in on the interview) for a total of 45 minutes each. They each spent from 10-20 minutes discussing prior experiences and then gave me a somewhat open-ended coding problem to solve on the whiteboard. Most of them mentioned that the result wasn't important, but was more interested in how I came to the conclusions that I did. During the whiteboarding I got very little feedback on how I was doing (one interviewer was typing vigorously on his laptop the entire time & was either taking a lot of notes or doing work himself). It was very hard to tell if I was going off on a tangent that they weren't interested in or if I was on track. At the end of the day I was happy with all of my solutions & didn't feel like I'd gotten stumped on any of the topics. There was one interview, though, that looking back on I wish I'd done differently. The recruiter mentioned that I could use any programing language that I wanted, but I would suggest to everyone to consider using something that the interviewer is familiar with. In the one questionable interview I used C# along with IEnumerables & LINQ to solve the problem. The interviewer asked a lot of questions on what IEnumerables were & probably thought I'd made up LINQ. At the end of the interview I doubt he had any idea what I had done. In hindsight, I should've used more basic C# or used another language entirely so the interviewer could understand what I was doing.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to calculate build order given a project with a list of dependencies that also need to be built   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

It was a fairly standard interview process -- I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter who set up a phone screen followed by onsite. The dev manager and recruiter didn't try to sell me on the company or team at all or even make the work sound interesting when I asked questions. By the halfway point I'd decided it wasn't for me.