Amazon Software Development Engineering Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineering Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

A friend of mine submitted my resume to a hiring manager and I got a phone call about a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview involved two different people, both of whom went straight into the technical questioning. There was none of the typical interview banter or "what's your greatest weakness" sort of vagueness. The second guy didn't even have inflection in his voice. He was just a cold, hard, questioning robot... creepy!

About halfway through the phone call I was asked to sit down at my computer and log on to a website where the interviewer watched me write some code to solve a problem he'd specified (printing a series of numbers to a console in a spiral pattern). It was a bit difficult since every time I stopped to think he'd ask me what I was thinking. After several minutes of thinking out loud and typing nervously I managed to complete the problem.

After the online portion of the interview, I was given homework (see "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question"), and told to submit it to them by the end of the day! I had a hot date with tickets to a show that evening, but as the hours went by it became clear that I was going to have to cancel to work on the interview problem. Frustrated and bitter, I resigned to submit what I had by midnight along with documentation on the missing aspects of my solution.

A few days went by and I heard nothing. I still had some questions about the internship that I didn't have a chance to ask over the phone, so I e-mailed my recruiter. She replied the next day with a form letter telling me that they'd decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Recreate the StringBuilder class in C++ from the ground up.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

I was shocked at how simple and straightforward the interview process was. I had two 45-minute phone interviews that were scheduled back to back. The interview was technical in nature, and consisted of questions related to basic object oriented programming and design. Knowledge of common data structures and runtimes was also necessary. There were no behavioral questions whatsoever.

The interviewers were friendly, but did not give much feedback throughout the process, so it was a little intimidating. There was a part of the interview where they asked me to briefly define a bunch of object orientation terms (ex. polymorphism, class, inheritance, delegation, class, etc.), and another part where they asked me to model the classes of a card game.

Interview Questions

• You are given an array with n positive integers where all values in the array are repeated except for one. Return the one that is not repeated.   8 Answers
    • Reverse a linked list.   3 Answers
    • Write a function that returns the depth of a tree.   3 Answers

Negotiation

They give you a generous salary up front and provide some relocation assistance. I did not negotiate my offer much, but from what I've heard they're pretty firm on their internship offers.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

My amazon interview consisted of two back-to-back 45-minute technical phone interviews. Each one was fairly standard: they began with open-ended questions (i.e. Tell me about a project where you had a problem but overcame it), then moved to open-ended technical questions (i.e. What is tree? What is a binary tree? Can you think of a situation where you would want to use a tree with a higher degree of branching?) and finally moved into a pure coding exercise, which I wrote and then dictated verbatim to them. The coding challenges were about on par with what I've experienced in other technical interviews - they were routine tasks that focused on efficiently solving a simple problem. I received a call from HR a week later with an offer, and I accepted it.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of an example of a scenario where you would want to use a tree with more degrees of branching than a binary tree?   5 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

2 phone interviews
    Interview 1
    Compute number and print all possible paths from (0,0) to (7,7) in a chess board. you can either move down or right . basically in first interview they either ask about red black, avl , trees or some question based on design and analysis of algorithms. mine was based on dynamic programming
    Interview 2
    what is os, paging, segmentation, virtual memory, i/o mgmt, deadlocks, synchronization - basically all chapters of galvin
    what happens when you type a url in address bar, how are address resolved, domain name space, some database questions etc

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online in January 2014 and received a call to set up an interview within a week. I had two 45 mins technical interviews. I was asked to code on a shared editor to solve some simple problems. Nothing unexpected, questions were like the ones that everyone comes across in technical interviews.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2014.

Interview

My phone interview for Software Development Engineer Intern at Amazon.com was my first phone interview ever. It was a very interesting experience. There were two rounds of interviewing, each lasting 45 minutes each and all the questions asked were purely technical.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied on college job site. Received an email to pick a date to have two 45 minute interviews at my college career center. First interview had a pretty common question. Second interview was more difficult, not types of question you would see in Cracking the Coding Interview. Overall, the interview was fair. Just practice writing out code on paper or a whiteboard if you have a face-to-face interview and brush up on basic algorithms! I interviewed on Thursday and received an email with offer on Monday.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation for interns

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

I had a contact in the company. The person forwarded my resume to his manager and a few days later HR person contacted me for schedules. Two phone interviews were scheduled. Each was 1 hour. One interviewer told me that the company would invite me for on-site if I did well on the phone interviews, but I screwed the interviews up. :(

Interview Questions

• I was asked to give a scalable system design of Amazon.com's order number generation service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Madison, WI) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online in January and after 2 month when Amazon hosted a career fair on our campus, got selected for back to back 90 mins interview. 45 mins with each interviewer. Questions are standard questions. If you do problems on UVA online judge, Topcoder or Hackerrank regularly, these type of interview questions should be fairly straightforward to answer.

Also, as many other big tech companies, just solving the problem is not enough. It's also important that you make sure your thought can be understood by others. Explaining how you come up with a solution with clarity is much more important that just solving all of the problems without saying how you did it.

There are four questions. 1 focus on math, 1 on building trees, 1 on linkedlist and 1 on string manipulation
    As always, make sure you also understand the complexity and performance of you solution.

Negotiation

No negotiation. But I think the final offer (final salary) also depends on your performance during the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied twice, once in early October and once in late October, and I talked to them at a career fair in between those two dates. I did not get an email until the night of December 3rd, which invited me to interview on December 5th. Usually companies will invite you to choose a specific date that fit your schedule so I found it a little rude for them to schedule an interview less than 48 hours away. Luckily I was free at that time, but I did not have a positive image of the process. The two interviews were going to be back to back 45 min phone interviews that started on the hour, so 15 min break in between.

Interview Questions

• write a function that takes in an int and returns a string that would be how one would say that number (ex: 123 -> one hundred twenty three; 50019 -> five thousand nineteen).   3 Answers