Amazon Software Development Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2017

3.3

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Not professional at all, the interviewer was not able to hear me well, seemed he was in his mobile and not focused on the interview. He just asked me a couple of questions and recommend not to apply to those kind of profiles.

Interview Questions

• Are you a programmer but an architect but a manager but a program manager? Superman?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

They contacted me thought a job site. First an initial phone screen followed by a round of interviews. I did a two hour writing assessment followed by another round of interviews. I believe I did about 4-5 hours interviewing in total + the 2 hour take home writing assessment.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very untechnical: tell me a time this happened,... how did you respond?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Over a period of a month, three different Amazon recruiters, representing three different areas at Amazon, reached out to me via my profile on LinkedIn. The first sign of a problem was that none of the recruiters bothered to link to a job description, so I really didn't know whether I was a good fit for the job or not. Still, I'm always willing to chat, so I replied within 24 hours in each case thanking them and providing my contact info. In each case, I never got a reply.

In one case, the one that sounded the most promising, I pinged the recruiter twice more over the course of the next two weeks. After that, I gave up.

Interview Questions

• Whether I'd be interested in learning more.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The Process:
    Informational with HR
    Phone screen with HR
    Technical screen with EM
    Take-home systems design task
    Coaching call before the on-site round with HR
    Written essay
    On-site loop, 7 rounds (including lunch), 9am - 4pm.

My experience:
    This interview has been an unexpectedly significant time commitment for me. I put in about 4 hours into the systems design task and about 6 hours into the essay, both of which came in as a surprise for me in the process and with a short deadline (the systems design task was due same day, the essay - in less than three days).

The on-site round went reasonably well, the people I met were friendly and helpful. However, my experience with one of the interviewers was so frustrating that it made me wonder whether Amazon still engaged in the questionable practice of stress interviews. At this point, if this person was to be my future colleague, I knew I wouldn't take an offer should there be one.

Other than the unfortunate misunderstanding above, my only other observation that might be valuable for the reader here is that my interview for the Engineering Manager position has been less technical than I expected. About 75% of the time I was discussing people and project management matters ("Tell me about the time..." type of questions). Systems design was discussed on a high level, and low-level software engineering skills (algorithms, low-level design, development best practices) seemed to not have been tested at all. That being said, the preparation matrix from "Cracking the PM interview" might be more helpful than you think.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Systems design task: a very general "Build me an <X>", where X is a known high load, highly available system. A very typical question pretty much everywhere today.   Answer Question
    • Essay: two topics for reflection to choose from, expected 2-4 pages   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2017.

Interview

Emails with HR, scheduling the tech interview call. They have sent me a document on how to prepare for the management questions. Overall very professional in all Q/A and feedbacks. Positive experience.
    The interview was around 45 min. Two parts - management and tech. Management was somewhat different from the prep doc but close. Mostly focused on negative experience, failed project, wrong hire etc. There was a question why Amazon as expected.
    Tech part had questions listed below. All were generic questions and they are not too hard. I did not answer on some of them (switching domain from embedded) and this probably was the mistake. It looks as regardless of my experience in different domain (embeedded/communication) it was expected that I know some basics of web and security. Now I think it was fair and I learned the lesson.

Interview Questions

• What is SSL/TLS?
      TCP vs UDP - how each one handles missing or out of order packets
      What is XSS?
      Load balancing schemes
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on Linkedin to invite me to interview with them for a Software Development Manager position. He asked me to provide some hours of availability for a phone interview, which I did. They chose one of the windows and sent me an interview invite, and we agreed that the interviewer would call me at a particular number. Unfortunately, my interviewer no-showed! No cancellation email or postponement email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted by Amazon recruiting, poor quality phone calls, multiple contacts, many seemed to be new and poorly organized. Helps to be organized and manage process, with regular followup. Not a problem as this was a management position. Great if you have an amazon contact who can track down what is happening. Did finally talk with a Amazon recruiter who seemed on top of process and one the phone was helpful in describing details and preliminary schedule. The email and other processes were a black box.

Ended up having two online/phone technical interview, the second interviewer was confused why needed a second, hopefully Amazon will figure out their growing pains as they do have a detailed tracking process and are know for data analysis.

For on site interviews, nice people, but disorganized: difficulty finding my primary contact, problems setting up video conference. Three of the interviewers appeared to change at last minute, two of interviews had new employee observers. Two were video conference to Seattle. Be prepared to have phone numbers for your primary recruiting contact, they can help resolve problems on that day. One of the interviewers was waiting in another conference room.

During interviews, everyone very focused on typing what you say into their system. A couple did explain, and even apologized for lack of engagement as they typed. Because of problems mentioned above, most of my interviews were running late and constrained. Most tried to allow some time for questions beyond their behavioral, Amazon principals questions. The one technical interviewer gave less than 15min for technical problem discussion and solution (a fairly typical coding interview problem but challenging for the time). One peer interview left no time for my questions, "needed to get through questions", offered to answer questions via LinkedIn, but never accepted connection. Perhaps already knew thumbs down or was interviewing others first?

Some interviewers provided some feedback re Amazon environment, be sure to ask. You should talk with one long time (3+year) Amazon employee.

After interviews, two weeks before heard decision. Three different Amazon contacts for recruiting, was never perfectly clear who would respond, so helps to include all with your email. Vague timelines when team might decide. As with many high tech interview processes, no information about why. Throughout process got a number of apologies, so I'm convinced it wasn't some type of torture test. Hopefully this experience is an outlier, and more an indication of the growing pains at Amazon. Ultimately, heard they had decided to not move forward, with a "really impressed with your qualifications, please stay in touch!" however…

Important note: Amazon said they have a 12 month "cooling off" period. They will *not* consider you for other openings. If you are going though the process and it looks like it isn't a fit, you might see if you can decline them before they block you from other openings. Alternatively, I've heard that multiple Amazon applications and interviews can happen around the same time. They work internally to decide which is the best fit. My error, I applied to this one job first, and didn't apply to others until later, apparently I won't hear back.

Interview Questions

• Refer to all the areas of the Amazon leadership principals.   2 Answers
    • Before the onsite interview, you will be asked to submit a two to four page writing sample answering one of two questions. During the interview process I was asked about the question I did not choose by at three different interviewers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

I didn't have a phone screen with the recruiter because I was a referral. However, I did speak with the recruiter so that I could understand the hiring process and know what to expect. The recruiter and coordinator where best I've ever dealt with. They gave me very good information and responded quickly to my questions.

I started with a phone screen with another SDM which consisted mostly of behavioral and experience questions. The screen lasted approximately 30 minutes and I asked questions for another 15 minutes. The interviewer asked good probing followup questions.

The on-site interview was about three weeks later (due to my PTO) and was from 10-3, including a lunch interview which was more casual and was a good opportunity to ask lot of questions. I met with 7 different folks, each for ~45 minutes. I had one person do a systems design session, and one bar-raiser. All of them seemed like good people to work with. They were smart, asked good questions, some hard some easy. The bar-raiser, I'm pretty sure was a distinguished engineer or very senior principal, and was the most intense and challenging. Even so, he was professional and respectful.

Interview Questions

• I prepared by trying to understand the 14 leadership principals and then prepared several experiences per principal. I don't think it was necessary to memorize memorize the list of principals, but you should be able to rattle off a few in context and be able to talk about any of them if asked. Questions are usually, "tell a time when..." performance management, hard problems, process improvement, etc. You can't really prep for the design question but it will be vague so ask questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY).

Interview

I submitted an application for an SDM position on an online board. Within a day or two I received an email that I might be a match and they would consider a phone interview if I answered a few background questions. I replied and they scheduled a phone tech for a week later. I thought the manager questions were the type you would expect and that the tech questions were not all that difficult. Nonetheless, they decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an employee you hired who was successful and why.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very professionally conducted interview process. Interviewers were very polite. Went to Seattle and met 5 to 6 interviewers. Really enjoyed the first interview with the Principal Engineer. Rest of the interviews were with Managers and they repeatedly asked the same questions to ensure there is consistency in my answers. Had to decline the opportunity due to relocation issues.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioral questions based on Amazon leadership principles.
      How to filter out noise from a robot hitting the retail websites across 40k servers.
      1 Answer