Amazon Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions

3.3

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Interview

Applied online, and got request from recruiter to do a code test about two months late.

Interview Questions

• N/A. It turns out i'm not interested in development position so i told the recruiter to cancel the test.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Engineer/In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I applied online. Heard back in a month in early January, and had two 45-min back-to-back phone interviews in late January. The interviews are technical. But the first interviewer had a strong accent that I couldn't understand some problems and had to ask him to say them again.

The first interview asked about my experience with Amazon.com, what I don't like and what I like. Then there were a couple of data structures problems on array, string and etc., regarding time complexity. Then he asked me to program online given a string, convert it to a number. Then test cases of the same problem.

The second interview was about graph. Given two nodes in a large relationship graph like Facebook, find the shortest path from one to another.

Interview Questions

• Given two nodes in a large relationship graph like Facebook, find the shortest path from one to another.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

two round phone interview and on-site interview. Basically concerning OOP and algorithm. The interviewer is nice to talk with. The question is not too hard. Just be well prepared. It is one month later before I receive the second round phone interview. Don't hesitate to write a letter to the HR when you have not received any notification for half a month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2011.

Interview

I am in Dev but interviewed for SDET,

The thing which i did not answer correctly are Test questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

1. What is Web Services?

2. The web service works fine when you initials the service. But it is getting slower and slower months later. How do you debug and troubleshoot the issue?
    Assume you identified the problem is in the backbend DB. How do you find out which query is slow?

3. The web service has a caculator function:
    public int Add(int a, int b)
    public int subtract (int a, int b)
    public int Divide(int a, int b)
    public int Multiply(int a, int b)

For example,
    Call Add (2, 5), it should return 7
    Call Divide (10, 3), it should return 3 and so on.

How do you test your calculator and ensure it return expected values?
    Note: pay attention to error handling and integer overflow issues.

4. Write a function that finds the substring within a string
    My solution:

public int Strstr(string o, string s)
            {
                if (o == null || s == null)
                    return -1;
                if (o.Length == 0 || s.Length == 0)
                if (o.Length < s.Length)
                int i = 0;
                int j = 0;
                int pos = -1;
                for (i = 0; i < o.Length; i++)
                    if (o[i] == s[j])
                        pos = j;
                        i++;
                        j++;
                    }
                    while (i < o.Length && j < s.Length)
                        if (o[i] == s[j])
                            i++;
                            j++;
                        else
                    return (i == o.Length && j != s.Length) ? -1 : pos;

}

Interview Questions

• why do you want to leave your company?   Answer Question
    • Dig details how I create\implement something in my current job   2 Answers

not interested in test

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2010.

Interview

During the scheduled phone interview, the interviewer forgot about the appointment. I had to call HR back and they rescheduled my phone interview. During the phone interview, all the person asked was what types of things would you test for a search box. I listed the areas to test, but I kept being prompted for more test areas. I was not asked any coding related questions even though I had spent two weeks preparing for them.

Interview Questions

• The search box question above seems to have no right answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2008.

Interview

The phone interview I had at Amazon was unlike any other I've had. First off, the company has employees who have very strong accents conduct phone interviews. I had to ask the interviewer to repeat what he said several times. The questions themselves were hard enough and not fully understanding the person made it even tougher. That appearently put him in a bad mood and he became rude to me over the phone and spoke in a very unprofessional manner.

Interview Questions

• The data structure questions were difficult as they asked very low level details on hashes and such.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2008.

Interview

Went through 2 phone screens about a week apart. Both were more technical oriented asking about programming topics. I had to constantly follow up with the recruiter for follow up and about 2-3 weeks later scheduled for an onsite interview. Interview went as I expected but some of the questions I could have prepared better. I knew I didn't do well when they let me go around noon without speaking with the hiring manager.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (The Hague (Netherlands)) in June 2015.

Interview

It started with an online test to be performed on codility. The recruiter told me that I had only 5 days to complete the test, so I took couple of days to practice. The test itself had two coding problems with a duration of 90 minutes. As a guideline, one of the problem will be given to test implementation only, not much thinking involved. You are allowed to look up the internet to find out how to solve this problem. Do not copy code. Do your own implementation and add a comment with the reference you used.

Then there was a phone interview with 3 or 4 behavioral questions followed by couple of coding problems. The problems were pretty average or even easy. After coding each one of them I was asked to come up with test cases. Then I was presented with another problem where I only needed to think of test cases. There was no coding involved here, only coming up with the general testing plan. The problem involved a web page so the kinds of tests the interviewer was looking for were security test, load test, etc. I struggled a bit in this question but apparently I came up with enough ideas to make a positive feedback.

My advise for this interview:
    Prepare answers for lots of behavioral questions.
    Write down the problem description as the interviewer describes it and a couple of example test cases. This helps clear out any confusions at an early stage plus the interviewer told me specifically that he liked this style.
    Discuss the solution first before rushing into code.
    Describe what you are doing while you are coding.
    Revise and trace the code before telling the interviewer that you are done.

Then it was the on-site round. It was a long day of six hours with 5 interviews and a lunch.

The first interviewer was a Software Development Manager. Most of the interview was just behavioral questions and talking about my past experiences. I didn't get up of my chair to use the white board at all. It was a very nice interview and the interviewer was really nice. I think I did well in this interview.

The second interview was with two interviewers; a Software Development Engineer who was leading the discussion and a Systems Engineer who occasionally gave comments or so. There was also lots of behavioral questions with one coding question. I think I also did well here.

The third interview was kind of different with two Software Engineers in Test. One of them was on remote so there was a video chat. The interview focused mainly on testing with again the expected amount of behavioral questions. I think it's important to be prepared for this remote video chat interview. With a distributed company like Amazon, you may expect to communicate this way occasionally.

Then it was the time for lunch. The conversation was very casual. She was a very nice friendly person. For lunch, I thought that a cake or something with high level of sugar will be a good choice. That's to give you enough energy for the next rounds without feeling full and sleepy. It's different from a person to person. You need to know what's better for your energy levels.

The forth interview was with two interviewers, both were Software Engineers. Again, a list of behavioral questions followed by a coding problem. We initially discussed how the problem would be implemented in an OOP way. I drew some boxes with links. Then we took one specific task and discussed the implementation. The discussion was nice. I started the implementation. I spent some time in the problem. I thought of different implementations and different scenarios and so. I think I could've done better, or quicker, but overall it wasn't bad.

The fifth and the last interview was with a Technical Program Manager. At the beginning was that list of behavioral questions then a bunch of questions about testing and designing a test plan. During that interview the interviewer said that I might use the white board. I took his hint and did some drawings. I was tired but I thought that it's really important to be a good listener and build on the hints that the interviewer says. It is also a nice way to clear out your minds of the ideas already mentioned. Write your ideas down so that you can tell your mind to think about new ideas. I'm not sure how it went. I'm thinking it wasn't very good because I was so tired of thinking and talking.

At the end, the first interviewer came back to ask me few logistic questions about my visa and work permit and accompanied me out of the building.

My advise for this interview:
    All previous advise in phone interview.
    Focus on Testing if you are applying for a Software Engineer in Test.
    Always ask questions at the end of the interview (also applies to phone interview).
    Take the hints the interviewer gives and build on them.
    Try to look interested even if you are tired.
    Plan to come to the building early.

I enjoyed the whole interview process although I'm sure I could've done better. I'm waiting for the feedback next week.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in April 2012.

Interview

Applied for this position through school recruiting service. Amazon sent an interview team to my school and did on campus interviews.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of unordered numbers, what would be the best algorithm to find the n largest numbers.   2 Answers