Amazon Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2017

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Standard process- Phone screen with a recruiter followed by a phone call with a senior engineer who was mentally checked out and rude. He asked me to solve an easy coding problem without using any outside resources. I finished in less than 30 minutes and sensed he was eager to get off so I didn't pursue things after that.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any other questions   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

First round was an online test which consisted of a few coding problems and a personality test. The second round was an onsite interview. I happened to have 4 interviews of an hour a piece though the recruiters told me it could be anywhere between 4 and 6. The recruiters were very helpful in preparing me for the interview. My best advice would be to listen to them and give yourself a week or two to prepare. You do have to sign an NDA before you can interview onsite.

Interview Questions

• While I can't share the specific questions they asked, I would reiterate, listen to your recruiter and take their advice seriously. Initially, I was not expecting to have to prepare so much I'm really glad I took the time to study up.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Did 2 phone screens - one was behavioral the 2nd was technical. Both reviewers seemed really nice. Got a generic rejection email after the technical even though I thought I answered the question ok in O(n). Asked for feedback but never heard back.

Interview Questions

• (there was slightly more to it, but basically) Given 2 character arrays, find the largest number of common elements   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Online coding tests were very easy. However on-site group interview was not a good set-up for me. They were not interested in my background and who I am as a person but rather if I can code quickly.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA so cannot share interview question   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Did very well on all parts of the interview. Completed code and tested. The guy even said he wanted to work with me. They never emailed me and I just saw reviewed, not accepted. I take it they do this a lot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I had an interview with their Consumer payment team.

Phone screen > Onsite (6 rounds)

The phone screen was good, the interviewer asked from different area's, starting with some behavioural questions, 2 coding (leetcode medium/easy) and 1 System design.

During onsite i had 6 interviews rounds including lunch. The interview started really well.

1st round was the TPM and he only asked behavioural questions.

2nd round, two engineers (3-4 years experience) came. He started asking some behavioural questions and than followed by the coding question. He was asking the question by looking at GeeksforGeeks website. When i asked him to explain me the question with a different example, he was not able to do so. Why the hell Amazon have such engineers? Do they memorize questions/examples/answers?

3rd round was with one engineer (3-4 years experience). He started asking some behavioural questions and than followed by the system design question. He had no interest in the interview and was just doing something else.

4th round, OOPS design.

5th round, lunch - Good

6th round - Good; Coding + Behavioural questions

Interview Questions

• Leetcode medium + lot of behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

OA finished in 45 minutes including easy debug questions some math questions and behavior questions. The time is very limited and you have to be quick. Dont waste too much time on the debuging quesitons

Interview Questions

• Basically some easy debug qustions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Raleigh, NC) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online via Ineed and had an initial phone screen with the recruiter about my experience, the position, etc. Moved onto the phone interview with a developer which was absolutely awful.

- First two times he tried to call, I heard nothing on the other line. He finally gets through on the third attempt.
    - My interviewer didn't have good communication skills and seemed like he was in a rush to get to other things. He also failed to really describe the position in any real detail.
    - We used an online collaborative code editor which initially went down for a couple of minutes but then came back up. Once it did, the highlighting it had on my cursor gave me a lot of trouble writing code.
    - I worked through his 2 coding questions after about 45 mins. In retrospect, I probably took too long and should have just Googled the answers and parroted them back to him like I'm sure most applicants do.
    - Denied the next week, likely due to point above.

Interview Questions

• Given an arbitrary integer, tell whether or not it is prime.   1 Answer
    • Given a user object (that you define), how would you develop a way to find all of that user's friends' book recommendations?   2 Answers

Application

Interview

Contacted by recruiter on LinkedIn for a specific position within the AWS group. We agreed my experience made me qualified for two teams. Set up a 45-minute technical phone interview with two engineers, one from each team in question. Received email notice from recruiter two hours later that Amazon was not moving forward with my application.

Interview Questions

• Coding question re: algorithms in the language of my choice   1 Answer
    • Please give a two-minute introduction of yourself.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time when you took the initiative on a project and assumed leadership of the project. What was the end result of your leadership?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by the hiring manager, had a phone interview, had in person interviews. I worked with 4 different recruiters through out the process, including the one who sent me my rejection email, with the wrong team name..he said it was a "typo".

I've honestly never felt more like a cog in a machine. The last in person interview, the two people walked in, wrote a problem on the board, said their names and sat down. 45 minutes later, they got up and walked out. Through out the time they were very unhelpful and didnt seem to care that I had questions that I would have liked to have answered.

While Amazon says they're doing a lot to improve the culture, from my experience, it doesn't seem like anything has changed.