Amazon Technical Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Technical Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2015.

Interview

Step 1:
Got an email from Amazon recruiter that they saw my profile matching with their requirement and interested to see whether am willing to proceed with interview process. I said why not, as Amazon in one of my dream company to join with. I replied back with all required details and resume.

Step 2:
After one week I got an email for first phone interview. Which was technical round. The guy who interviewed me was senior development engineer and interview went for 1 hour. It was perfectly planned and he was very nice guy and has experience in taking interview for sure.

Step 3:
After one week from first phone interview, i got an email stating, they liked talking with me and willing to proceed with second phone interview. I have replied and they scheduled me second technical phone interview in a week. Now, Senior technical project/program manager took the interview and it was really interactive and went very smooth. It was more of behavior and scenario related questions and he helped here and there to provide the lead to answer. It was only for 40 mins as that manager was busy with some other important work to do. But it was great. He informed me right away that he liked me and he will ask recruiter to schedule next round as a pure technical.

Step 4:
After 5 days, I got an email for Final Phone interview, and this will be pure technical. I provided my availability. In meantime when I was waiting for final phone interview, I got an email stating they willing to fly me to Seattle amazon.com office for in person interview. There you go.

Step 5:
All arrangements done in 2 days and I flew to their office for in person interview. There were totally 6 interviews, each 45 mins. In between there was one lunch meeting with manager from different team. All interviewers were very cool and process oriented. I studied many reviews and comments from glass door and other websites. But its not really that bad as they have pointed out. Amazon has a process to note each and every word you say to decide your ability. So I don't think their activity to type what you say while the interview in process is bad at all, because they are recording it for future decision. So I really agree they have their process which is working well for them and I felt good. Most of the questions were behavior, given scenario, your past experience, technical, design, architecture related. It started at 9:30 and ended at 4 PM with 5 mins break between some interview.

Overall it was great experience to me.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA).

Interview

Amazon (AWS) has a horrible recruiting process. I went through it 3 times. Recruiters or hiring managers interviews you, says you are a good fit & will move to next steps. So you take interviews over the next 4-8 weeks as they drag out the process of making a decision. Then they curtly reply, "not moving forward". No indication nor feedback as to how status went from great candidate, to not interested. Yet they encourage you to keep applying. I'm done. I don't see how they'll get to 20k additional hires using this method.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I applied for TPM role.
    At same time they called me ( without applying) for senior TPM role in another team.

TPM role:
    First phone interview, was about leadership principles and why i choose amazon and why i was a fit. I passed and got notice for second phone interview in 2-3 days.
    Second phone interview was about TPM preparation sheet, i studied it and then they asked me nothing. It was all about my past experience and leadership principles.
    I have been waiting for more than 2 weeks for outcome of second interview with no response from recruiter. ( usually it takes only 3 business days to respond)

Senior TPM role:
    First phone interview should have involved coding!
    But there was no single coding question.
    It was all about again leadership principles.
    I passed this one but recruiter never setup the second phone interview ( although he told me i passed in an email)

I think combining what happened to me in both interviews , they were no aware i was interviewing for TPM and senior TPM role at same time and when they discovered , they decided to sacrifice my candidancy and that is why they stopped responding to me or even tell me if i passed or not( although i am sure i passed all)

Very disrespectful company.

Interview Questions

• Leadership principles is basically the first interview on phone   Answer Question
    • For second phone interview they sent me a sheet to cover the questions i was supposed to be asked about. But at the end asked only about my experience and again leadership principles   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ashburn, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Ashburn, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

First of all let me say that I applied I for a position in December. Two months later I received an email from a recruiter stating that the team is very impressed with my background and thought I would be a good fit to the team. I was asked what day would work for a phone interview and I would receive a confirmation. I received an email confirmation and the name of the person that would be contacting me. The person scheduled to call me did not call me. It ended up being another person. I found out later I was not fit for the job. I have also applied to other jobs and recently discovered that the status is still under review but the job is not longer available. This is by far the WORST interview process I have ever been through.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a tight deadline and how did you handle that deadline.   1 Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Passed the first round of technical interview then got scheduled for another interview. one day before got a call that the position is not open any more. Not sure why would they initiate a interview process if the position was already under consideration.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

There was one Telephonic after which I was called for 5 rounds of interview onsite in Seattle office. Most of the interviews were behavioral. There was a system design question as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had submitted my information online and received a call from an internal recruiter. She went through the standard screener questions focusing on my background and availability. She informed me of the next steps, time frame, and material to review as it would be discussed in future interviews. No one had reached out in the previously discussed time frame (few days) so I sent an email to the recruiter asking for details. No response, which is ironic as it conflicts several of their core values. Wasted time reviewing the material provided and recruiter simply ghosted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Two phone screens, about 30-45 mins each, followed by a onsite loop where I talked to about 6-7 people, spending 30-45 mins for each one of them. Even though the recruiter promised me to get back within 5 days, I never heard back even after following up. It's obvious that the outcome is negative, bu the recruiter's professionalism is extremely poor.

Interview Questions

• General questions: Why Amazon? Describe a conflicting situation at work? How did you resolve it? In every answer to the question, they would like to know what YOU have done   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview was done in three rounds (1st - Phone interview with Hiring Manager; 2nd - Phone conversation with HR; 3rd - In person with a team of interviewers) and the overall process took around 2 months from the day of applying for the job.

Still in the process of evaluating the offer.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interview was geared towards understanding one's leadership qualities and how well they are aligned to Amazon's culture/principles.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in May 2016.

Interview

Very long and tiresome interview process. It involved almost 8 interviews (3 telephonic, 5 x 1 hr interviews)
    The questioning was redundant and irrelevant to job description, except when they were scenario based.
    The interviewing lacked rational or logic while listening to external individual scenarios.

Interview Questions

• how do you describe a conflict with a peer and how did you solve it   Answer Question
    • explain a situation where you had to deal with a tough client?   Answer Question