Amazon Technical Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Technical Program Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.2

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter via email to interview for position. Was asked to provide a few days and time of availability. I was then asked to provide more days and times a couple weeks out. I provided additional dates and was then sent another email with day and time and name of person that will be conducting initial phone interview. I was told that it will primarily focus on technical abilities and to familiarize myself with AWS, review keynote speakers (each were 2+ hours long), STAR method and leadership principles.
I spent time walking through different scenarios and applying STAR method of different business scenarios in anticipation of the interview. I watched key note speakers from reinvent conference and became familiar with the AWS service offerings. I received confirmation Friday before Tuesday's interview and continued to prepare. They called the pre-arranged numbers (my cell phone) right at the interview time. The caller was from HR , not from the hiring manager. It was to inform me that the hiring manager wasn't going to conduct an interview. Sorry, not sorry.
I do appreciate that HR called to let me know. It would have been helpful to let me know prior to the interview so I didn't arrange my day around the appointment. I had read enough interview comments so wasn't surprised by the lack of respect they display for people's time.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone screen and then on site. On site interview depends on luck. There were four rounds and there was one poor interviewer. There is usually a system building exercise. Other questions were based on the experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach building some hypothetical system?   3 Answers

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2018.

Interview

This was my sixth interview with Amazon in past 2 years. Every time , I cleared first technical round and get rejected in second round. Last time, I got rejected by Recruiter - technical round.
    Sometimes, I feel all these are fake interviews created to collect data for GC processing candidates. Just to show we interviewed these candidates and couldnt fine the best candidate.
    Till last year, they used to conduct actual telephonic interviews, but now a days they ask to fill a assessment form in which they ask to design a entire system for one liner problem.
    And then recruiter mentions there will quick call with her before actually proceeding to onsite interviews and wherein she asks technical questions which she doesnt understand the answers and later send email saying they are moving with another candidate.
    My advice is dont entertain the telephonic or online assessment. If they actually invite you to onsite interview then only prepare hard. After all Amazon is one one of the worlds top company with huge technical asset and that working experience should be great for lifetime.
    Only, their interview process needs to be improved.

Interview Questions

• Design a system and list the assumptions.   1 Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2018.

Interview

A senior TPM did the first phone interview. He just asked some normal behavior questions but talked a lot of other stuff, like blockchain and AI. Not sure if it helps him to know me better.

Interview Questions

• What kind of technologies are you learning now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX) in April 2018.

Interview

I was contacted directly by Amazon recruiting team. However, it wasn't for a TPM position I had applied for. I was directed to apply for this position and take the interview. Probably not a very prudent decision as the role wasn't lining up with my background. But as this was the first contact from Amazon I just went with it. My background is in DW/BI and Analytics and this role was for the team that maintains internal developer tools for AWS.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about designing a system that keeps track of the last 10 items that a customer has browsed on Amazon. What would be the components involved.   2 Answers
    • Follow up questions were around what the API design should look like? And how would you handle multiple profiles for the same person across different countries? How would you be able to differentiate between different people logging on from say the same household.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

The interview was totally bizarre. I was asked to, on the spot, pitch a picture sharing app to venture capitalists 12 years IN THE PAST. So not only was I asked to pull together a coherent story in a matter of seconds (for which someone would normally have weeks or months to do) but I also had to time travel. Then I was asked to form a team as well as make technology decisions. My knowledge of the state of the art technology circa 2006 is a little rusty, so it didn't go well. Also, when I asked about work-life balance I was told "well you know, they say 50 is the new 40". That told me everything I needed to know. I will not be pursuing roles at Amazon anytime soon.

Interview Questions

• Pitch a picture sharing startup 12 years in the past.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by the Recruiter. Shortly after I spoke to the Hiring Manager on the phone. Conclusion was a 6 person onsite in Seattle.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest technical accomplishment?
      What was your biggest failure?
      Design an online baseball application and scale it to Amazon standards.
      Writing Sample that is completed 2 days before the onsite.   2 Answers
    • Salary Expectation?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Mountain View, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

Hiring Manager Reached out to me randomly on LinkedIn asking to email my resume to specific recruiter A over 2 months ago. Recruiter A has never replied. A month ago I received invitation to recruiting event from recruiter B. The event showed what Amazon culture is like from within. I had hard times to find hiring manager because there was not label on them. Crowd was flocking around hiring manager and recruiters chaotically the whole event.

No response from Amazon after that. Amazon is a very young company with immature culture with lack of basic organizations. Very good place for process allergic employees.

Best of luck to Amazon store in becoming mature technology company!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2019.

Interview

Applied online for one job and was passed through several recruiters and several phone screens. Onsite was set up from the last phone call after filling out a list of questions. A recruiter will call and detail how the onsite will go, and your travel will be planned out. They pick up the tab.

It is as grueling as advertised, where you are interviewing with 5-8 people over a six hour period. The questions were not difficult if you know your stuff, but the day is a very long one. Lunch is a nice reprieve as you are assigned a lunch buddy. You can discuss work, but we discussed favorite travel places.

Everyone was nice, gracious and made me feel welcome. I stumbled a question at the end of the day but felt really great about the interview and the team. I got an email from the recruiter saying they would debrief and be in touch within a week as they pride themselves on being fast.

I got an email to set up a call 24 hours after the debrief; was rather surprised when told they would not be proceeding with me as a candidate. They are not allowed to give feedback at all, but internal applicants were mentioned in passing. I was told to feel free to apply for any other jobs that interested me. Not sure I will, though.

The negative: I burned 3 vacation days which would have been bought back when my current company shuts it doors. That is around 800 dollars lost, and that will not be reimbursed.

I do think that any interview that does not end with an offer is a waste of time, especially without feedback as to why....however in a litigious society, feedback is verboten.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA but all were "tell me about a time" STAR format questions, Know the leadership principles; you are dead in the water without them.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview was done in three rounds (1st - Phone interview with Hiring Manager; 2nd - Phone conversation with HR; 3rd - In person with a team of interviewers) and the overall process took around 2 months from the day of applying for the job.

Still in the process of evaluating the offer.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interview was geared towards understanding one's leadership qualities and how well they are aligned to Amazon's culture/principles.   1 Answer