Amazon Technical Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Technical Program Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.2

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Interview with 5 people including the bar raiser in the onsite final round. It was an exhaustive process but overall a good experience. Had asked about even Domain knowledge questions specific to the team.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in June 2020.

Interview

The fun part is that I had not even applied for this position, they reached out via a social platform which everyone knows and I was happy about it as well.

Interview process:

1st round Phone interview-
    Went really well, loved the interviewer and his attitude. This individual has more than 25 years of industry experience and I was honored to be even interviewed by this person.
    I was positive that I performed good in this round. Mostly questions were standard, Technical Program Manager as the title says is required to be technical. With my present and past experience, I can confidently say I am hands-on.

2nd Round:
    This is where things started falling apart, I was firstly surprised to see the lack of professionalism in this round by the interviewer, especially after a round with a distinguishable experienced industry leader. Not only was the interviewer boasting about themselves and Amazon throughout the interview, this individual kept on downgrading every other company. Not sure what Amazonians generally think about themselves, I was provided with guidelines on how to answer questions, learn Amazon leadership policies, which are all good, but that doesn't mean everything/everyone outside Amazon are dumb. I felt continuously that the second round surprisingly had interviewers who lacked significant experience/attitude compared to the first round. Not only was the interviewer welcoming discussions or conversations, it became a question answer session as the interviewer was not really focused on the interview throughout. I want to make sure that whatever is mentioned here is my experience and I am sure there would have been much better experiences with people around the world. If an individual do not have the right attitude it really doesn't matter where they work or who they work for. I would suggest Amazon to hire folks who are not just technical but also good humans. This is my experience with two phone interviews with Amazon, I do not regret wasting my time except for the second round where I had to deal with an individual who thought everyone outside of Amazon was dumb.

Interview Questions

• 1st round: Define a complex system and its system design   1 Answer
    • 1st round: When did you face a large obstacle in a project and was able to solve it   3 Answers
    • 1st round: Gave a sample scenario and asked to provide system design   1 Answer
    • 2nd round: Define a complex system that I recently worked on and why it was complex?   1 Answer
    • 2nd round: Explain a scenario where you had an obstacle blocking your delivery and you resolved it   1 Answer
    • Why do you use %^&%^& technology and what was the motive behind selecting that tool?   1 Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in May 2020.

Interview

I have applied for a Technical Program Manager role in Analytics. I was contacted by the recruiter, and with in a week asked for my availability and had first round of phone interview with in 10 days, after that in next 1 week another round of technical phone interview. Almost after 3 weeks of my second round of interview, they have asked me for Loop interview virtually because of covid. Over all it took almost 1.5 months of my time , the process is stressful and long.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions & couple of technical questions based on my past project architecture and 1 System Design interview   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA) in April 2020.

Interview

6, yes 6 rounds of phone calls, and an all day interview gauntlet with a number of individuals who haven't bothered to read your resume. If you don't read any further past this, just take that into consideration before applying or engaging with this company. These aren't calls that take 5-10 mins, these are 30-60+ min engagements during business hours, with nothing more shared than a position description and promises of discussing salary requirements at a later date.

These rounds are interspersed with a number of e-mails and phone calls from their HR/recruiting team, yes team, who also don't seem to be on the same page with regards to balancing out their interview requests with your professional schedule. None of the individuals seem to communicate with one another from the recruiting team, as you have to repeat and re-send information via e-mail multiple times.

Each phone call/conversation refers back to Amazon-internal processes and standards which interviewers expect you to memorize and apply to your work history, ignoring the fact that their principles are not applicable to all areas of business or interviewee experience. This does not stop recruiting from impressing upon you a series of tasks for which to prepare for each phase of their hiring process.

The largest drawback of the process is the amount of billable time that AWS expects you to sacrifice, before discussing any salary requirements of the position. This led to taking PTO to attend a 6 hour interview day, not even with lunch or accommodations provided, and repeating several elements of my employment history and experience.

At the end of this series of e-mails, phone calls, and in-person interviews, only to be presented with a pay band which was less than I'm currently making. This is a lot of sunk cost to reach a finish line and realize the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

I wouldn't recommend this experience to anyone unless they have a bevy of free time to spend on a 2nd job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you experienced a difficult situation, and how did you react?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2020.

Interview

The first interview was very fun and relaxed.

The second interview was very bumpy, he was away and there was a moment that the interviewer was offline. I honestly don't think he was paying attention, he was repeating the last part of the information I said.

HR sent me A LOT of information to study and "do my homework" - The documentation was not related to the position and they made me watch a 2hours video. I think they just want to create traffic. But I would suggest you to read it anyway - better be prepared.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my previous experience, how I responded to that, etc.
      I would recommend you to read and anaylize The 14 Leadership Principles that Drive Amazon.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2019.

Interview

This was on the Amazon Web Services team, within one of the sub-groups of AWS. Had a couple of phone screens, although in retrospect they were very similar to the onsite interviews but on a shorter time scale, after which I was flown to Seattle for a one day onsite. Questions very heavily based on the STAR interview format. Annoying behavioral type of questions. They were just relentless with the questions and it was a stressful day. I don't see how this type of interview yields the best candidates for hiring. Also, they seemed not to care about my technical skills during the phone screens but during the interviews that seemed to be come up a few times. Wish they would have been more clear on what they expect for technical abilities before flying me out as I'm not super technical, at least compared to a developer.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a time where you invented something (could be a software, program, etc...), explain what you did, and what impact it had.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2019.

Interview

8 rounds of interview with 2 Phone screen and 6 onsite Interview! If you pass the phone screen you will be requested to come to Seattle for one full day of meeting and going through the process and from there its 5 business day you will know the result of the process or has an offer been made.

Interview Questions

• Mostly on my background and leadership principles.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2019.

Interview

I had two phone interview. Called me for in-person interview with 5 individuals. All 5 were asking almost similar questions. Tough to get different answers to same questions in different interviews. Had architecture round based on current job responsibility, was not tough thou.

Interview Questions

• Give me a scenario were you solved a challenge in your project.   Answer Question
    • Give a scenario were I had to convince someone.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA) in October 2019.

Interview

Interviewed with a recruiter over the phone to assess my fit for the job. Scheduled an hour-long phone interview with a manager 3 days later. Several hours after the phone interview with the manager I was notified that I was moved to the onsite process. The onsite interview took place 2.5 weeks later, 5X 1hour long interviews with the hiring manager, teammates, other managers, bar raiser. Standard amazon questions. Was notified a week later I didn't receive the role.

Interview Questions

• Standard 'tell me about a time' type questions. Just google 'amazon interview questions' and you'll have more than enough examples to reference.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Not so professional. Recruiters do NOT respond on time or sometimes don't respond at all.
    More than 1 person on the panel in the first telephonic round. Interview got postponed couple of times as the interviewer was not available.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest failure in your professional career? What you learnt from it? How you manage risks?   Answer Question