Amazon Web Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Web Developer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 21, 2016

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Few phone calls with the recruiter, then a 1 hour telephonic interview.
A full day interview in seattle with about 6-8 interviews ranging from techincal to behavior. One lunch meeting mostly over experience questions. NDA signed so cant disclose questions but yes questions range from algorithns to design and amazon values .

Interview Questions

• Mostly algorithms and extended questions on approach   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I received an email from an internal recruiter to schedule a phone coding interview with one of the team members where I was applying. I asked a few questions to the recruiter and I'm still waiting the responses. During the interview I had the impression it was the first interview for the interviewer. It took her a lot of time to ask me questions as she was spending a lot of time writing down her notes from my answers somewhere. Then she made me do an (too)easy html/css/js exercise that it seemed that she didn't prepare as I was asking questions and she had to think the responses (that were so obvious to answer from the 'creator' of the exercise...). After two weeks of the process, and after two emails to the recruiter, I've no feedback from them. It really surprises me how Amazon handle the interview process.

Interview Questions

• When I click to this button I want it moves down 200px.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied throught the amazon carrers page, I was contacted by email and they scheduled a phone interview, it was a technical filter. They were very fast, the only thing I didn't like is that I didn't get any feedback after the interview. These guys are hard to please, however they were very professional at all times.

Interview Questions

• Reverse and single linked list   Answer Question
    • Describe what happens in your browser as soon as you hit enter after writing a Url in the address bar.   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied online via advertised section of indeed.com listed as for Kindle Store but turned out to be for Fire Phone. Took only 2 days for HR representative to get in touch to set up a phone interview with the project team. Over the phone & web, went through series of technical questions including actual coding.

Interview Questions

• I was not prepared for mobile app dev related questions. It's understandable that they could not list this position as Fire Phone project since it was listed before the product launch. It was simply the position that wasn't a quite fit for my skill set.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Interview

Contacted over the phone by amazon recruiter. Quick phone screen then the in person was pretty standard. Spoke with 5 people from amazon.

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Sterling, VA) in October 2013.

Interview

As a consultant, i was approached by a recruiting company in Washington DC metro area. To be precise n Sterling, VA. I was called for an interview within one week afterr I sent my resume to the recruiter.
    I was asked to describe database joins. Then describe data modelling for a dummy app. Then how I would go about with development and UI components, etc. I went about with thorough explanation of the work.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was really difficult. I would say know your resume in and out.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered more than I expected.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in August 2013.

Interview

I had a lot of conversations with Insight Global until they were able to get me an interview with Amazon. I had to go through two in-person interviews and an online coding session for the "contract to hire" position (which is a lot easier to get in with versus a full-time position). Know your stuff and you should be able to pass these interviews! At Amazon you have to ask yourself for every question, "does this scale?" because Amazon deals with TONS of data in their applications. Worry about computational time and memory usage for everything.

Interview Questions

• How do you detect for the first repeated character in a string? How do you detect whether or not a word is a palindrome?   3 Answers

Negotiation

Very smooth. I went through Insight Global so they handled everything for me.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2013.

Interview

Got call from an in house recruiter and started the scheduling for over the phone technical interviews. Had 2 phone interviews (skipped the 3rd), invited to go onsite. Onsite I did 6 face to face interviews with different people. Once back home, 2 more phone interviews followed.

Interview Questions

• I can not talk about my interviews on site. My over the phone technical interviews were focused on front end development. Asked about HTML standards and behavioral issues between browsers, implement an accordion component from scratch, javascript scoping problems, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Before flying out I was asked what my expected salary would be. My first offer was 10k lower than what I asked for. They were hesitant to negotiate, but after mentioning (with info to back it up) the cost of living differences between my current city and Seattle they decided to adjust the offer. In lieu of an increase, they lowered my shares and sign-on bonus and raised my base salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter without applying in late December of 2012. I had three phone interviews with one person each time, and each interview used CollabNet to do online coding. I felt the the phone interviews were fairly simple, and there was nothing too tricky. The interviewers were all friendly and casual, and I never felt they were trying to trip me up. The phone interviewing process up until the onsite request took about a month.

The onsite interviewing definitely had a tougher feel to them, but I probably could have prepared with their interview prep document better. I met with about five people separately including one over lunch in the cafeteria. While none of them were unfriendly, none of them were overly friendly. They were all business with not much room for casual conversations, but that probably helped with staying on schedule. Still, I had the feeling working with them would be all business as well. But even so, they were open to mistakes as long as I talked through my thought process, and they were patient.

The office was great looking, and the views were gorgeous, but I noticed the interviewers that brought their laptops with them had old looking PC machines. I guess there's no pampering of developers in that area.

It took two weeks to hear back that I was not going to get an offer. The recruiter called and handled it well, but I feel two weeks was a long time to wait for a no.

Interview Questions

• Writing the code for a game that entailed an array of numbers and finding the fastest way to get to the end when the numbers were the number of steps you could move forward, and if you hit a zero, the game was over.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

First phone call with hiring manager went well. A little terse with communication but nothing I considered out of line for a busy manager. This lead to a tech screen phone call using live online collaboration tool.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked me to build a tab based interface in html/css/js on the phone but in the online tool. As an additional follow up question I was asked to write the JavaScript as a jQuery plugin   1 Answer