Google Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.6

61 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engine Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

There were questions that were asked to me and I answered them but I don't think they liked my answers. Google is a cool company though and I'm sure fun to work for

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Batch Day. If you survive the first three interviews in the morning, you might be invited back in the afternoon if you are "cool" enough. You had to prepare a demo in the Google Cloud Platform, which I did and after 3 weeks they shut down my account. It was later determined to be a bug which doesn't surprise me, most of their Cloud Platform features didn't work and probably never will. I mean the only thing this company has been successful at is "Search". It's sad that so many people in that place think they are better than the rest of the world.

Interview Questions

• Q: "Tell me about a time when you had a difficult person at work".   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Starts off with a personality survey and coding sample with two tricky problems that you only have 60 minutes to solve. If you pass this first screening, you get a phone interview and if you do well on that, you are flown out for onsite interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Takes 5 weeks and the questions are pretty difficult. Need to get well-prepared before you go to the interview. And I didn't get in so I think that maybe next time I need to get prepared earlier before the interview. And I'll appreciate if someone post their interview questions on here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

More informal than I expected. They looked at my credentials, asked about academic experiences, and didn't really prod too much when I had trouble answering a few questions. They gave me time to ask questions and I did. I think they like that, when people ask questions. They are looking for more than A student. They need someone that fits in the culture.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite class in school?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Interview

The entire process was the best interview I've ever had. I love the brain teasers. I think they are a great way to tell if a person is a quality engineer. I also think they are a great way to tell if a person works well in a team and can build scalable software.

Interview Questions

• If you were a platypus stuck in a dumpster and your feet were made out of butter, how would escape?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

I was approached by a Google recruiter based on my LinkedIn profile. After an initial phone conversation to assess me and my proclivities, they arranged a couple of interviews. The interview in Santa Monica consisted of an in-person interview with the hiring manager and lasted for almost 2 hours. The guy was intelligent and sincere. He tested my knowledge, which was adequate for the position. Unfortunately, the position was not interesting enough for me, and we agreed that it wasn't a good fit. Very pleasant experience, exciting company, and I hope there are other departments that would be a better fit.

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in February 2011.

Interview

good interview process....1 telephonic round, 3 face to face rounds of interview..1 manager round of interview..1 hr round of interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Atlanta, GA) in February 2011.

Interview

got a phone interview for a new grad position from Google. recruiter mailed me to setup an interview. she asked me to choose a week and asked me for the best time to call in that week. interviewer was from Google, NY. He called on time and was friendly. So he asked me about my previous projects and soon. After 5 min of that, he jumped into the questions. he asked me to open the Google docs. then he asked me which language i was comfortable with, i was good at java, so told him that. So he asked me a question involving algorithms then gave me a problem to solve. it was a trick question. i failed to recognize it and misunderstood the question completely. i solved the question for what i understood. he didn't say whether it was wrong, and asked me to write the code for my solution. i wrote the java code. he wanted me to optimize it. i did it. finally i asked some random questions about his work and Google. when interview was done, i had a good feeling about my answer. later i was discussing it with my friend, that's when it strike me, the answer was so so so simple. i over did it. so all hopes were done with after that. one week later, they told me i am not good enough.
    i think, it was a pretty good experience over all. i was nervous, this was my first interview ever and that may be the reason i wasn't able to think straight.

Interview Questions

• tell about the problems faced while doing the projects in past?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

Phone screen was good, done via Google Docs. All about Trees.

Interview consisted of several whiteboard-problem solving sessions; more trees, hash-tables.

6 interviews in total. 4 went well, 2 not so well. Last 2 were with people with very poor interpersonal skills... not sure if that was part of the test... I would not have accepted an offer anyway due to (a) location [Mountain View is very expensive, I found out while visiting], (b) office layout [everyone is crammed in to very small places], (c) attitude of last 2 interviewers.... what if one of those was my boss?

And the food wasn't *that* great :)

Interview Questions

• Explain how a debugger works   1 Answer