Google Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Google

3,221 Interview Reviews

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

First, you're given a coding challenge and afterwards an interview. Mine was over the phone with google slides where the code and examples were written. You can ask the interviewer questions as you are doing the challenge and both take about 30-45 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• How does a binary tree work and can you implement the parsing of one.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in April 2019.

Interview

Algorithm questions followed by behavior questions. Overall very friendly and positive experience. Interviewers gave a lot of hints, and do the interview on chrome book actually. Lunch is really good, and I am really happy with the interview

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Phone interview followed by onsite. The two phone interviews were medium LC problems. The onsite had 5 rounds. 1 was a behavioral and 4 were technical. The first two interviewers had their attitude on check. The other two had a cynical and cocky attitude that i just felt like walking out of the interview. Just another huge organization which has lost its interviewer bar. Felt bad for the poor blokes who need to show up to this team to work everyday.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

Applied online with referral link. After 2 months, got back to me with coding online sample and HR recruiter to schedule a interview. Filled out preference form. Did three over the phone interviews with google docs. One software engineer of the three, I felt came up with a slower solution and was convinced that his was faster by quick sorting which is slower than O(n) which was my solution. The other two were great and all of them were easy questions compared to other company's questions . Felt that the last interview destroyed me since I couldn't see how his solution was faster than mine. I heard this was a bit common amongst many interviews with engineers at google, but usually engineers figure out their mistakes too and correct it, but this clearly didn't happen with me. Also, the last engineer was not as talkative as the other two, which was already was a red flag since he didn't seem all that interested in me or the interview. The rejection notice was pretty slow too; took a few weeks so I suppose that is to be expected of the rejected individuals at google. This company is a hit or miss and will auto reject you if you reapply later (even with more referrals) within a certain time period which is kind of dumb if you ask me since they demand more experience in software development which maybe their engineers should also get before interviewing... Nevertheless, there were some ups and downs and from what I can tell from my friends and referrals, the offer is very luck based since it really depends on the engineers interviewing you. Best of luck to the interviewee who read this, you'll need it!

Interview Questions

• String recursive replacement:
      given "11122" replace "12" -> "1"
      given "abcbcbbccd" replace "bc" ->"ad"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Jersey City, NJ) in November 2018.

Interview

I passed the OA which includes two easy code questions and then failed the phone interview which only contains a medium code problem. (I got the interview for I have joined their campus talk a year before)

Interview Questions

• Input: Two linked lists representing two integers
      Output: A linked list representing the sum of the two integers   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

I was brought onsite skipping the phone screen. There were 5 45min interviews and a lunch in between. Two in the morning, lunch, and then three in the afternoon. One out of the 5 is the Googlyness interview and the rest are coding.
    Some interviewers are very inexperienced. According to my interviewers, every employee has to do interviews after certain amount of time working there so the interview quality isn't every consistent. One of the interviewer I had didn't even remember his question on top of his head. He had to pull out his laptop and find the question he wanted to ask. And whenever I need to clarify something, he had to again pull out his laptop to find the problem... he wasn't even sure what he is asking. And a lot of the times the interviewers will just throw the questions out and let you do whatever you need to do and then take the picture at the end without any discussions at all. Also they don't seem to write down the feedback as soon as possible after interviews so the process can drag longer and they might forget about the details. It seems to have a lot of flaws in their hiring process. Even though the questions are pretty diverse and fair, but there are too many human factors that will mess your result up.

Interview Questions

• Not going to say the specific questions. But all of them are data structure and algorithm problems.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

They asked why i wanted to be at google and other things in my career trajectory. They want to know if I would be able to go to California. They asked what I wanted in a position.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult project that you have worked on   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Boston, MA) in September 2008.

Interview

It started with a general phone screen by HR. There were no technical questions except asking "How many years experience do you have with...", and no behavioral questions. Next, there was an on-site interview that consisted of two one-on-one interviews with other engineers. It was 100% technical. They did not open it up for my questions to them, and didn't even seem to consider that they'd need to sell the job to me. In fact, they didn't even ask me general questions - only questions from their pool of technical questions.
    For this position (and maybe this would be different depending on the job), the questions were more on the academic side - questions touching on discrete structures, analysis of algorithms - generally the kind of thing that you need to know in school and don't really need in practice (and if you do, there's a book on your shelf for it).
    It only takes one interviewer to pull the plug on you, so you have to impress every interviewer, not just the majority.

Interview Questions

• Design a web search engine that searches web locations for anagrams of a given string.   1 Answer
    • Design a 2D dungeon crawling game. It must allow for various items in the maze - walls, objects, and computer-controlled characters. (The focus was on the class structures, and how to optimize the experience for the user as s/he travels through the dungeon.)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google in December 2008.

Interview

Initial interview with in-house recruiter, followed up by a technical phone interview. We reviewed my resume and work experience, as well as, technical questions and programming questions. Second in-house recruiter interview, followed-up by on site interview. A full day interview with several technical staff members. None of the interviewers looked at my resume nor asked me any questions regarding my past work experience including time management, project timelines, group interactions, risk assessment, etc. I have years of experience in delivering high-volume products to the consumer market including patents. They simply asked me data structures questions and posed coding problems. They are looking for one type of engineer (CS) regardless of employment experience.

Interview Questions

• A question on graphs and their use for optimally sorting fictitious coins from another country.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2007.

Interview

Communication with the company were great. The recruiter was timely in her responses to email queries and was very friendly to deal with. The phone interviews (2) were appropriate in length and in content and the interviewers were only time.

The onsite interviews were also well planned and well scheduled, everyone was on time. I had 5 or 6 1:1 interviews during my day and they all asked different types of technical questions. The only nit I would pick was that the focus was entirely technical, it seemed like no one really cared about my personal or career growth or what I really wanted to do.

The actual hiring process is what I had the most problem with. Google insists on hiring really smart people and putting them on somewhat random projects. During the interview process they will tell you nothing about what you'll be working on, in fact they don't even know until the day you start! This is ridiculous when you are trying to hire engineers with difficult to find specialty skills. These same people are getting compelling offers from other companies who are willing to let them work on stuff in their domain of expertise and are willing to tell then what they'll work on.

Google treats all of its new hires like they are fresh out of college. I.e. they are smart, but have little experience so they'll be ready to just work on anything just because its Google. Sadly this is simply not true of the more experience senior people out there.

Interview Questions

• Implement a skip list traversal routine. Algorithmic complexity of traversal. Algorithm for converting uniformly distributed random numbers into a logarithmic distribution.   1 Answer

Mainly because Google wouldn't not tell me what I would work on and insisted that I could only find out the first day of the job. In contrast the offers I got were very clear about the technologies and areas I would be working on.