Liberty Mutual Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2018
1,643 Interview Reviews

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview

I had two video interviews with Liberty Mutual. The first interview was a basic behavioral interview that lasted about 30 minutes; I actually used Glassdoor to look at a few of the questions that were asked in previous LM internship interviews and was asked roughly the same questions. The second interview was a little more technical; the interviewers asked how I learn new languages, what projects I've worked on, etc., but no specific programming questions. A week or two after my second interview, LM called me and extended an offer. Overall, the process was very professional and the people I talked to were great in helping me understand what was going on.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions:
      Why would you choose liberty mutual?
      Tell me about a time where you explained something complicated to someone.
      Tell me about the last time you had to work with an unsatisfied customer. How did you address their concerns?

Technical questions:
      Tell me about the projects you've worked on.
      How do you learn a new language?   2 Answers

Supervisor/Training Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Austin, TX).

Interview

This interview review is directed towards the Mayo Agencies in Austin, TX. Once you apply, a recruiter sends an email to schedule an in person office visit for 90 minutes to meet with Tyler Mayo. When I arrived at the office, there were about 8 other people as well. They signed us all in, took us individually to talk with a Regional Manager for about 5 minutes where they just asked what I knew about Liberty. Quickly glanced at my resume then said for the next portion I would be sitting with the group to hear Mr. Mayo speak for 90 minutes. I then asked about what the compensation structure is as I don't want to waste their time and I don't want my time wasted for the next 90 minutes if we aren't on the same page. The regional manager then told me she couldn't tell me as Mr. Mayo would discuss that with me. So I decided to move forward as the job positing said 75-85k. Once in the meeting room with everyone else, Tyler Mayo proceeded to speak for the next 2+ hours! If he was going to be over 2 hours, they should tell us that and not that it will only take 90 minutes. It is VERY disrespectful and shows that they do not value your time. His speech was all just geared around how awesome he is, how awesome the company is, really just selling the company. It was a sales pitch. And a very long one. I even left after the 2 hour mark as I had an appointment and he was still speaking! Everyone in the room had the same look on their face like what is this guy doing... I should of read the reviews before I went to this interview as it was just a giant waste of time. Apparently this role is purely commission based and they start you off as a rep. Already they are trying to get people in with misleading information. I was so upset after this process cause I wasted 2+ hours of my time, and missed work to attend this interview that wasn't really an interview but a sales pitch. BEWARE before you apply that this is just a sales technique to make you a rep. Everyone will get an interview and everyone will move on to the next round if you want it.

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Plano, TX) in May 2018.

Interview

Was invited to an open house then asked back for a second interview. In the second interview was given a paper with a scenario to rate. Was told I would get a call to discuss decision and never did.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to explain something difficult   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Chandler, AZ) in May 2018.

Interview

About 2 days after I applied, I received an email inviting me to a phone interview. This was a structured, yet conversational interview by one of their recruiters. That is, the interviewer spent time explaining the job role, pay, training, etc., we discussed my resume, and went through a couple behavioral questions. I was invited for an in-person interview by the phone interviewer (during the call.) This first interview lasted an hour. I had asked a few of my own questions (e.g. what the interviewer liked best about working for Liberty Mutual.) The entire interview was professional, yet welcoming.

The in-person interview was a pleasant experience. Initially, I was in a room with three other females. We watched a brief introduction interview about the company. Afterwards, we were split up into our own rooms to be interviewed individually. I waited just a few minutes before 2 people entered the room. We sat in a triangle position and both took turn asking me questions first about my resume then behavioral questions. I made sure to make eye contact with both interviewers when responding and gave full answers regardless of the inquiry. I gave at least one example or comment about anything I was asked. After the behavioral questions, the 2 left the room and another person came in. We talked more about my resume and he asked a few more behavioral questions. This part of the process was about as long as my phone interview (roughly 1 hour.) The process for this part was smooth, warm, welcoming, and felt conversational. As with the first interview, I asked each interviewer what they liked best about the company.

Less than 1 day after my in-person interview, my recruiter, the person who originally interviewed me over the phone, called me to offer me the position with Liberty Mutual. He explained this offer would be contingent on the background check (no worries!)

Overall, Liberty Mutual offered a warm and genuine environment during their entire higher process. The interviewers were energetic, easy to talk to, and knowledgeable. Their responses to my inquiry about what they enjoyed about the job seemed genuine. In addition to the research I had done on my own, this experience helped convince me to accept the position offered.
    Note: I stated the process took 2 weeks because the in-person interview was scheduled a week after the phone interview. They were quick about the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer? how did you work to resolve their issue?   1 Answer

Interview

I interviewed 3 times, meeting more people each time. The final time was just to meet the entire team--a formality. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. It was also a relaxed and fun place to work.

Interview Questions

• It was a fairly simple interview. Just basic questions about my background.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Austin, TX).

Interview

I was referred by a sales rep who presented an educational session at my work. I spoke with the Senior Branch Manager who allowed me to come in for an informal visit to learn more about the position. We spent about 30 minutes discussing my insurance background, interest in moving into sales, and salary expectations. The manager was helpful and candid about this position. He encouraged me to formally apply. I should anticipate a phone screening call with a recruiter and if selected to move on I could meet in the office for formal interview & shadow several sales reps to get an idea of the day-to-day work, and provide a marketing plan explaining how I'd prospect for contacts at local businesses, seek referrals, and obtain clients. This was by far the most challenging part of the interview process as I wanted to show how much I wanted the position.

Not surprisingly, I interviewed with the recruiter over the phone. She asked typical screening questions (e.g., why are you interested in Liberty Mutual? Describe a time when you successfully sold business? etc.)

The formal in-office interview was scheduled for 2.5 hours with about 60 minutes of questions, 60 shadowing two sales reps (one tenured, one newer), and 30 minute presentation/discussion on sales compensation plan & Q&A.

My final interview was over the phone with the Area Manager (Senior Branch Manager's boss). She was helpful in putting together all the pieces and how each of the reps work adds value to the branch. Interview questions she asked were not entirely difficult (similar to phone screening).

Auto Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (New York, NY).

Interview

The application consisted of a test and once you pass a recruiter will contact you. Then you are set up for a phone interview. Once that is complete there is a face to face. The face to face was with two different managers and I also got to sit with a rep.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to deliver bad news and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Analyst Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Interview

1st round - phone, 2nd round 2 hour in person. two 30 min behavioral, 1 1hour case study. The 2nd round was a superday style in Boston where they flew people in. They called with the decision about 1 week later. Gave 3 weeks to accept/decline offer

Interview Questions

• how have you developed your statistical modeling skills   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in April 2018.

Interview

after submitting online application, first contacted by HR recruiter where we set up a phone call with easy interview type questions but mostly resume overview and going over what the job entails, then depending on that, a 2nd skype interview/in person with 2 of the program directors

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you failed   Answer Question
    • What do you see yourself doing as a career?   Answer Question
    • Describe a project you worked on when you had very little time to complete it   Answer Question
    • Talk me through your resume   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been in a situation where you had to prioritize something over your pressing responsibilities?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Oklahoma City, OK) in April 2018.

Interview

Gave me a phone interview over that lasted about half an hour now I'm doing video conference tomorrow with hiring manager. Took them almost 3 weeks to get back to me after the phone interview and she asked behavioral questions. Super nice and simple.

Interview Questions

• What was one was you dealt with someone who had a different communication style than you?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Plano, TX) in April 2018.

Interview

Phone screen lasted an hour. Just getting to know you. Brought in the next week for an interview with two hiring managers (Bob and Brant). It's a cattle call because the turnover is 60-70%. All these people do is interview all day one after the other. Bob gave quick tour of new building eating area and call center area. The two managers could not have been more dull. I know they see a lot of people but that is their job. No energy, just robots asking monotone questions and giving you monotone cookie cutter replies to your questions. Said I would hear back within 3-5 business days. After 6 days I followed up because there was no follow up. I finally heard back on the 10th day. If you're going to say you're going to do something then do it. Poor representation of an otherwise good company. New hires are required to work 12:30PM-9PM, working 1 weekend day, for the first 1 year or more. Starting salary is $37K base + commission. Expect 20-30 calls per day, closing 2-3.