Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

1,380 Ratings

3,167 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Biggest growth opportunity would be the work life balance associated with positions in the Direct Response Center (in 239 reviews)

• No work/life balance, in the 18 months I worked there was unable to get a day off (in 53 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"One of the best companies I've worked for to date!"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has lots of opportunity for growth, great benefits package, good pay, overtime opportunities, annual raises and bonuses. They also promote a healthy work/life balance with new changes they've implemented such as working from home a couple times a week and flexible/variable shifts. Hard work is recognized, and they want to help you succeed and advance your career. You really get a sense that you are working for a company that cares about you.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say. I mean, sure...there are always things that can be improved upon. But the company is really good at listening to employee feedback and implementing changes as a result. So I really can't complain.

Nov 2, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thank you for your feedback here! We're happy you've been satisfied with your experience at Liberty Mutual, and we look forward to continuing to invest in you!

"great company but multiple restructures of the organization causing layoffs."

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

high salaries good benefits profit sharing and tuition reimbursement. 401k and pension plan. pro employee

Cons

it can be a stressful environment and not a straight 9-5 job. too many systems after acquisitions and their consolidation is slow. innovation is not their strong suit. usually not the company leading with new technology or new ways of doing things. wasted tons of money implementing lean principles only to discontinue the practice. people took risks to become lean coaches only to be laid off. "they are the best of the best" but have not plan to integrate them back to the business.

Advice to Management

you really need to monitor your middle management. focus is on front line and frontline management. go out and process walk your middle management that are in different offices often. live by your principles and ensure all are treated with dignity and respect. you have great managers but you also have bad and often times corrupt managers. inappropriate relationships have occurred and are simply overlooked. that's where your variability is. also, put your money where your mouth is and have a plan to retain top talent. you lose good people to the restructures because it's a struggle to transfer between departments. it's called transferable skills. anyone can learn processes and systems.

"Senior Claims Specialist I"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Specialist in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Specialist in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, flexible work schedule, strong 401K match with pension, yearly bonus with additional perks for strong performance and decent benefits. Work from home availability. Autonomous work pending in specific manager.

Cons

Case counts can be difficult to manage given turnover and client volume. Work-life balance concerns for those who do not perfect their time management skills

Advice to Management

Great company to work where strong performers are rewarded and acknowledged. Continued efforts to manage turnover and work-life balance is appreciated. Review promotional and swing assignments opportunities to avoid losing high performers to competitors.

Dec 7, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

It's great to hear that you felt confident and valued. Thanks for sharing!

"Good company for actuaries"

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exam Support, Rotations, Training, Work from home

Cons

Bureaucracy, low visibility from high-up, too much focus on presentation skill rather than technical skills

"Call center in phoenix area"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment with lots of subject matter experts. Good opportunity if you are using the job to gain experience but very little help with career advancement.

Cons

Aggressive goals with unqualified front line managers to support achieving them. Many of the managers have very little education and a lack of big picture understanding.

Advice to Management

Build a culture of success and better evaluate the leadership in place

Dec 12, 2017 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Leadership Effectiveness is a key objective and we strive to continuously develop our current leaders and our future leaders.

6. "Great Place to work"

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Innovative, Inclusive, allows employees to use the tools given to make great customer experiences

Cons

Turnover at high levels of management

7. "Claims Resolution Specialist - Homeowner's"

Current Employee - Claims Resolution Specialist in Uniondale, NY
    Current Employee - Claims Resolution Specialist in Uniondale, NY

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work environment, flexible hours

Cons

unpredictable changes in job expectations

8. "DRU Inside Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome inexpensive benefits
    Will pay to get you licensed
    Very employee oriented
    The computer systems are great and very user friendly.

Cons

Training was pretty good, however the DRU sales are like vultures. I kept asking over and over to sit with the people who were making a ton of money in commissions so I could figure out how to mimick it, and I kept getting denied. I was making the dept monthly goal but I wanted those huge checks they kept advertising and kept trying to learn what they were doing to convince all these people to sign up month after month... and I kept getting denied. They kept telling me to smile on the phone and keep going and it’ll happen... no. It won’t if you won’t teach me! I have been in the insurance industry since 2004 so the issue is not with my knowledge of the product.

I left because I felt they were holding me back from the great pay they advertised I could potentially get. I get paid more where I’m at now.

Advice to Management

Some of us need to shadow the successful reps to learn and help the company make money. Let them watch and learn! Depending on trainers only and only your supervisor makes it so that you are limited in what information you are being taught. Open it up.

9. "Sales Representative"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Flexible workspace makes for a lot of freedom
    Great benefits
    Base salary plus commission is nice
    Great team members

Cons

Selling insurance is just not an easy job. If you aren't willing to put in the work, especially your first couple years it's probably not the right fit. With enough drive and focus you can build up your business.

Flex workspace can sometimes be too much freedom and you really have to manage your time well.

Advice to Management

Checking in and being available to your employees is imparitive, especially for new hires! Make sure you hold all reps to the same standards.

10. "Liberty"

Current Employee - Sale
    Current Employee - Sale

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Little room for advancement on sales side

Showing 3,167 of 3,423 reviews