Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

1,482 Ratings

3,387 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work/life balance is sometimes difficult (in 245 reviews)

• No work/life balance, in the 18 months I worked there was unable to get a day off (in 51 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, great pay and benefits, strong company performance year after year, leadership integrity, developmental opportunity, global reach

Cons

As an established company in an established industry, making changes to modernize are difficult land from time to time the effort to make change has unintended impacts. Leading the organization through changes to create business value through best application of technology is a know challenge and the company is actively working to improve.

Advice to Management

Remain genuine to who you are while embracing the advantages of today's work environment.

Liberty Mutual Insurance Response

Jan 18, 2018 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thank you for your feedback here! We're happy you've been satisfied with your experience at Liberty Mutual, and we look forward to continuing to invest in you!

2. "Awesome Company!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uncapped commission, great managers, outstanding work life balance.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons

Advice to Management

Continue keeping communications open and work with employees so that the company continues to be a great place to build a career!

"VP perspective in 2018"

Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Big employer based in Boston. Not many of those left. Diverse businesses within P&C. International opportunities. Base and bonus competitive.

Cons

Constant reorgs. Company overextended itself in last 5-7 years and is now retrenching. Management defensive about moves. Most of all there is little accountability at the senior levels b/c it's a mutual company. Culture is very congenial with little if any open disagreement. But it leads to behind the scenes politics.

Advice to Management

Start holding yourself accountable. Stop treating org structure as strategy. Thin down the senior HO ranks.

"Commercial Lines Underwriter"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Flexibility in work space
    Benefits (health, dental, 401K)
    Vacation time

Cons

Too many meetings
    Management re-org
    Job Stability

5. "Control Your Destiny"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Healthcare, Generous Paid Time Off, Employee-Friendly Attendance Policy, Decent Starting Salary, Plenty of Opportunities to move to other departments and move up - you’re in control - if you want to move up, play the game, meet your metrics, etc. If you don’t get opportunities to advance, I’m willing to bet 99% of the time it’s the individual not the company. Anyone claiming otherwise is likely bitter and can’t be honest with themselves. I’m pretty anti-social, but I played the game and in 4 years went from temp to FT to specialty team#1 to specialty team#2; I could have been a supervisor by now if that’s the path I wanted.

Cons

Inconsistency with upper-management communication; Micro-management depending upon team/supervisor; favoritism depending upon team/supervisor; bureaucratic problem resolution format which often seems to waste time when clear, tangible solutions exist.

Advice to Management

Make sure decisions being made in upper management are discussed with a committee of front-line employees (and not yes-men) to ensure ideas aren’t overlooking any obvious pain points that someone who has never worked on the front lines would miss; take a cue from Claims VP and you all should spend at least one day per month performing front line duties or at least side-by-side job shadowing so you have a clue what it’s like - perhaps then things like rolling out back-to-back trainwreck UBI programs wouldn’t happen.

6. "Casualty Claims"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home two days a week after 6 months on the job
    A lot of support in the form of round-tables and trainings
    Easy to get time off
    Help you serve in the community and donate to charity
    No time clocks or timed lunches or breaks
    Allow you the autonomy to manage your own day
    They don't run casualty claims like a call center

Cons

Younger workforce, they like millennials and so there is higher turnover and overall less experience on the floor
    The metrics are difficult to achieve working long hours, impossible in a 40 hour work week
    No overtime pay
    Health plan is a high deductible plan that applies your deductible to office visits AND prescriptions
    Stressful environment
    Claims are more difficult to settle because they pay out less
    Very gossipy office environment - not the most professional leadership
    Your opportunity to work in other business segments is largely dependent on what office you work for. In my office it's all claims, so my chances of trying another area such as underwriting are impossible. The company does not pay for relocation if you voluntarily apply for a job. This is in stark contrast to companies like State Farm that offer relocation for most professional-high professional level positions.

Advice to Management

The benchmark for injury exposures is around 160 per handler, this might be okay if you paid your employees overtime. However you don't, and so while you can tout benefits like work from home, an inventory of 120 injury features per handler is a lot more reasonable if you want your metrics to actually be achievable. I shouldn't have to skip lunch every single day and work 10-12 hour days on my work from home days just to stay afloat. You should also segment your injury unit, for litigated and non-litigated. Or only unrepresented parties. It would move things along much faster.
    And with regard to metrics, claims don't always conclude on the timeline you want. How many claims I settle in a month is largely out of my control. There's only so many times I can call an attorney requesting a demand. I find myself chasing down people to settle claims. So ease up on the metrics.
    There seems to be a lot of 'drama' and gossip among your leadership. I shouldn't know what manager A doesn't care for manager B, etc. Line leadership seems inconsistent and unprofessional. I see a lot of favoritism especially at the "awards ceremonies". Hard work is only recognized if you have the right manager.

7. "Great company!"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Great company! Committed to diversity and equality. Very good growth potential.

Cons

Can be challenging to have good work/life balance.

"If you want to move up or around, stay away."

Current Employee - IT Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - IT Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Decent salary
    - Great frontline people
    - Challenging work
    - People genuinely care about their co-workers and doing the right thing (frontline, some mid-level managers)

Cons

- HR recruiting is horrible and doesn’t have a good reputation. They don’t follow up on internal applications, usually don’t care if they don’t communicate status, and are so completely overwhelmed with internal applicants at the moment that they’ve limited applications in internal positions to 3 in a rolling 30 day period. Either this means that departments are being laid off (which is happening) or people are so unhappy with their current situation that they’re looking for a way off their current team.
    - They like to talk about respecting their employees, but it doesn’t show, especially in terms of recognizing the talent they have (see above). Internal candidates are treated like bottom feeders when applying to other roles, even when their performance has been amazing. I have colleagues who have applied internally to positions 20-50+ times without so much as a phone call, most are subjected to a boiler-plate e-mail - and these are leaders and mentors on their own teams! I have personally applied with a handful of screening calls, but no follow through happens after. If you didn’t get the point by now - if you’re looking for a job, great. But if you want to move around the company, good luck unless you know someone. It is next-to-impossible to gain traction in your career at current time. The only choice you have is to stay in your department until one leader leaves or retires. They tend to promote within, but only look at what you’re good at doing in your current role and not if you have the actual chops to manage people.
    - Morale is low and the company is suffering from change fatigue. They’ll spout that they know people are tired of change, but look at re-orgs as a strategy and don’t acknowledge that it’s their lack of leadership, control over their subordinates, and lack of vision that has brought the company here. Lots of standard lines about how change is good and all that, but there is no stability and everyone knows it.
    - Upper management doesn’t know the similarities/differences between lean and agile. Re-read that. It’s embarrassing. They had a huge investment in lean a few years ago and very few organizations even practice it anymore today. Us frontline folks went through all of this training and for what? This shows management’s utter lack of interest in learning how to make their operation better. They are simply going with the next hot thing and letting their arrogance get the best of them.
    - They have and are continuing to lay off people in lots of different divisions in the company. The company is also planning yet another re-org, the impact of which isn’t even fully known yet, although I suspect many redundancies are there and more layoffs will happen. But hey, at least they are having town halls to discuss...

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach (re: core values). They don’t mean anything unless you follow them. Seriously look at what your hiring & recruiting team is (or isn’t) doing. You are hemorrhaging talent. People are unhappy and don’t want to say anything because they’re afraid. People want steady leadership. Stop re-org cycles. Do you have any idea how much money that costs us? The only thing keeping me around is a steady paycheck, but friends who have been loyal to this company have been kicked to the curb. No reason for me to stay if I find better work elsewhere.

"Turning South"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have some good programs in place, there used to be lots of opportunity internally. Good training programs are available at a certain level.

Work life balance can be good, but people being promoted tend to be those who email or take calls into the early morning hours. I have seen lots of people sleep deprived or coming into the office when it’s closed due to pressure of meeting expectations.

Cons

-Constant reorgs, layoffs, and a recent sell-off of a couple hundred employees to another company

-Some ridiculous managers who are borderline abusive have held senior positions for years despite hemorrhaging talent. No recourse.

-Cost cutting measures will continue for some time leaving many questioning job security.

-Key leadership positions are filled internally even where it makes no sense. They love promoting familiar faces over subject matter experts with proven experience. This has cost them and will continue to.

-Some people promoted to levels that others are held down below due to politics and inconsistencies in how managers view promotions. Some people call it a meritocracy, but what happens is X senior leader brings or meets person who they just really like for whatever reason. This breeds a culture of yes men who don’t actually have much skill, which cascades down into ineffectiveness across entire orgs. You’ll see senior leaders (grade 20 to 22) with equivalent experience to 17/18s who didn’t know the “right” people to pull them along like the 20-22 did.

-Actual effective ideas are not rewarded and frequently ignored. Despite Presidential awards being available, I have seen people make the company millions of dollars and get a pat on the back, while the Presidential award recipients were simply doing their job well. No consistency to reward the most impactful employees creates less of a want for those employees to stick around.

Advice to Management

Change focus should be less to do with expenses and promoting yes men, and more on getting real with being able to compete with more sophisticated carriers in the next 10-15 years.

10. "One of the best insurance companies to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good work life balance, a lot of cross-team collaboration which i liked

Cons

skills acquired are too insurance focused, hard to transfer outside of this industry

Showing 3,387 of 3,668 reviews