Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews

3.8
Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long
2,421 Ratings
Pros
  • "Great work/life balance and WFH opportunities (even pre-covid)(in 582 reviews)

• "great company that offers great benefits and work/life balances(in 397 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance when you have kids(in 335 reviews)

• "Needs more diversity in upper management(in 146 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Liberty Mutual Insurance and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

A place to call home

May 8, 2021 - Training Specialist in Lake Mary, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent pay, amazing leadership, work-life balance, unlimited career opportunities, pension, health insurance, and the list goes on

Cons

While this is not a con, it’s something to be aware of. Liberty Mutual will give you as much as you give them. You have to be willing to work hard and have integrity to be a great fit. Again, you will be rewarded.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

May 18, 2021 - Associate Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

great place to work and grow

Cons

getting a job in cybersecurity is hard

3. 4.0
      Former Employee

Multiple Layers of Management / Difficult for a Technical IC

Apr 16, 2021 - Senior Configuration Engineer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company really cares about giving work life balance / flexibility for working parents. I really appreciated the Summer Fridays and pension benefit - I noticed these were very rare among my working friends and their employers. Every manager I've had also really cared about being the best manager they could be - some even going above and beyond to help me find my next job / prepare me with skills to do career transition. If I was here later in my career and had kids, I would definitely stay for the long term.

Cons

I struggled with being a technical individual contributor having to work with non-technical manager. I've never had a manager who has done my day-to-day work and I found it difficult to get better / hone any strong technical skills. I've also noticed the org is heavily staffed in middle management and senior leaders - whereas they was usually a shortage of technically skills individual contributors. More middle management meant more people to report updates to, more meetings, more ambiguous "planning / strategizing" meetings that didn't accelerate productivity...It felt more like an impediment to getting work done than actually helpful.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company, Poor Management

May 18, 2021 - Inside Property Claims Adjuster in Plano, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company itself is a good company. The benefits are pretty standard. The Plano corporate office is very nice and computers and everything is very up to date.

Cons

There’s a constant change in metrics which makes it seem like they aren’t very organized in the management team. Can’t speak for all managers but several managers will ignore your questions, not be available for hours on end, they will take a long time to do approvals which is a direct effect on your metrics. When the claims department is busy expect to work overtime everyday including weekends. The turnover for employees is ridiculous. In one month I saw them let go of 4 plus people and other quit.

5. 2.0
      Current Employee

Analyst Development Program (ADP) not recommended

Apr 26, 2021 - Analyst Development Program
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work/life balance: about 30-hour work week for rotation work, plus extra hours for side projects and ADP committees - Training on Excel, SAS, and Power BI instead of jumping straight in

Cons

- Job posting can be misleading. This is not a "data science" role, it's a data analyst role - No guarantee of placement role type, which can be detrimental early in career. For example, you may be placed into a role that's mostly regulatory with little data analysis - The program isn't very respected among Liberty employees, especially outside of the Product org. In most other companies that have post-college rotational programs, the programs appear to be much more prestigious - Interviewers (both peers and experienced Liberty employees) can be biased. I have personally seen 2 candidates get rejected from the program because of biases related to protected classes

3 people found this review helpful

Liberty Mutual Insurance Response

Thank you for your feedback. At Liberty Mutual, we aspire to be a company where all people across the globe feel included and that they belong. Additionally, we know how important diversity is to our overall success and we’re committed to continued progress in this area. We want to increase inclusion and equity for all employees to grow their careers. Liberty Mutual takes concerns of bias and other unfair treatment very seriously. If you feel that you've observed unfair behavior or have an ethical concern, we encourage you to contact Talent Operations or our Compliance Helpline for guidance.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company, benefits & pay

May 10, 2021 - Recruiter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work arrangements (100% remote), very generous time off package (27 paid days off your first year), great benefits, 401k with company match, pension, maternity and paternity leave, tuition reimbursement programs, etc. Competitive pay and great managers, very supportive.

Cons

Recruiting department needs more incentives, rewards and competitions for those who exceed expectations. High requisition loads, everyone is over capacity right now but they’re trying to hire more recruiters to help.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good job

May 17, 2021 - Insurance Agent in Lake Mary, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay was great. Time off was even better. Company really cared and listened to your thoughts. This was a great location.

Cons

The only con is the customers and sometimes the metrics can be rough. Its not for everyone its a back to back call center environment

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

good

May 18, 2021 - User Experience Research Intern in Manchester, NH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility and good work life balance

Cons

none really - great atmosphere

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture depending on what department

Mar 31, 2021 - Technology Associate in Portsmouth, NH
      Business Outlook

Pros

I came into this job out of college, expecting it to be just a step to something better later on. However, I've been surprised at how solid the culture is, at least in the customer facing department I've worked in. The independence to challenge the status quo as well as yourself is way more than I thought it would be and the engineers I've worked with have all been brilliant, all possessing a lot of ownership to what they're building. Although Liberty is insurance, where I've worked has felt like a tried and true tech company, one which shows a lot of promise in developing my skills as an engineer in the years to come.

Cons

Unfortunately, my experience might not be the norm, with a lot of other tech groups being stuck with legacy applications and less open to growth. It seems that a new employee's experience and job satisfaction may be left of up to chance. Because of this awareness, I can only give Liberty a four star rating.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Apr 11, 2021 - Director in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome benefits! Great people. The job is what you make it. LM offers many opportunities to get involved and make change.

Cons

At times, can be a little “woke” and reactive to the latest buzz word. Good intentions, I am certain, but can get a little old to keep pivoting on social justice...especially these days when people find a new reason to be mad at someone each month. Also I heard recently at one of my training classes that LM puts a lot of stock in New England higher education than others. That is so archaic. While no doubt MA has excellent schools, I have met many a Harvard graduate that has zero common sense and would put that person up against my dad with zero college.

2 people found this review helpful