Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

David H. Long
1,723 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Difficult to achieve work/life balance" (in 276 reviews)

• "No work life balance, overtime is sporadic so usually not enough time in the day to complete necessary task" (in 58 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company!"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Great benefits (work flex schedules, maternity/paternity leaves, etc.); Good culture with intelligent employees; Forward thinking Company

Cons

Some people are not fan of change which may be constant but it will help the Company evolve

Jan 10, 2019 – Chief Talent and Enterprise Services Officer

It's great to hear that you're happy here. It's encouraging to know you appreciate our benefits and culture and enjoy working with your colleagues. We rely on employee feedback to continue learning... More

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and the time off

Cons

None that I have experienced

Feb 20, 2019 – Talent and Enterprise Services

It's great to hear that our employees feel confident and valued. Thanks for sharing!

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, company, benefits and pay. Work from home after 6 months. Great hours if you are up to date on your work and flexible with when you come in and leave. You can choose your own hours.

Cons

As an adjuster, there is more work than hours in a day. You may be willing to put in the extra time but they don't want you to since you have to claim it, understandably they don't want to pay overtime if possible. Many employees would just put in the hours and not log them. Stress levels are high since its too easy to get behind and catching up can take weeks. Miss one day and your behind for a minimum of a week. Usually I saw people take a day or two off and somehow not get turned off on claims so when they came back they had new claims when they shouldn't have. Makes you never want to take a vacation.

Jan 29, 2019 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. While we work hard to provide employees with the best work environment, we are always looking for opportunities to improve. Honest feedback like... More

4. "Bodily Injury"

Current Employee - Claims Resolution Specialist in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Claims Resolution Specialist in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolute best environment. Love where I work and who I work with
    Benefits, pay, time off are all great

Cons

Stressful work. High workload

Feb 20, 2019 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks for taking a few minutes to post a review. We’re glad to know your time at Liberty Mutual has been positive, and we look forward to continuing to invest in you!

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice work life balance
    Working from home as an option for developers
    Great and improving technology and CI/CD stack

Cons

As most older companies it still relies on some old applications but in many instances making progress to modernize them

Feb 20, 2019 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thanks so much for your review. We continually invest in technology to improve our customer and user experiences. As you pointed out, we're in an evolving and dynamic tech environment so we always... More

6. "Amazing experience"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Good work/life balance
    Paid training
    Full benefits
    Great support from supervisors/coaches
    Reward system for meeting/succeeding metrics

Cons

System slowness or computer troubles can be stressful when working in a call center HOWEVER great tech support always working to resolve issues

Advice to Management

(Some) SAT employees are rude and should be providing just as good customer service to the employees.

Feb 20, 2019 – Talent and Enterprise Services

Thank you for your feedback here! We're happy you've been satisfied with your experience at Liberty Mutual, and we look forward to continuing to invest in you!

"Institutional mediocrity"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Decent work-life balance.

• Very good retirement plan.

• As a major player in the casualty insurance industry, there is a ton of potential — if only they would realize it. See below.

Cons

• Overall compensation for such a large company is poor. Base salary is not competitive within the technology sector, and annual bonuses are a good 10% less than what you’ll find elsewhere. Health insurance plans are LAUGHABLE. Seriously, I’ve had better health benefits from startups. I can’t stress enough just how bad the health benefits are. If you are someone with a chronic illness, there’s a good chance you will not be able to afford to work here.

• If you work in IT, then you’re a second class citizen at the company. If you’re fine with having your life’s work continually belittled by people that haven’t the remotest of idea of what it is that you actually do, then I guess Liberty is the place for you. If you’re in engineering management, then know that your job is busy work, and any decision that actually matters will be made by one of your handlers in product.

• If you’re still reading, I’d imagine that you’re not shocked to find that the career ceiling at Liberty for engineers is quite low. To put it into perspective, the philosophy is that “high-performing engineers” should be “promoted into management.” Because, why would you want high-performing engineers writing and maintaining the systems that operate your enterprise? No need to answer the rhetorical question. The take away here is, if you’re a young engineer looking to grow your career, go elsewhere. You will not get the transferable skills and experience you need to be successful. Nor is the upward mobility at Liberty compelling enough for a life-long career investment.

• It’s very difficult to explain, but there seems to be a pervasive attitude that doing “just enough to get by” is what makes Liberty great. Innovation gets talked about a lot, but doing anything different is “scary and weird.” Here’s a fun exercise, go into the place, and start talking about monolithic database architectures in the past tense. Then watch peoples’ heads twist off their necks, shoot up, hit the ceiling, and flutter back down to the floor like one of those hand-powered, dragonfly helicopter toys. The attachment to the obsolete at Liberty is plain bizarre.

• Don’t get me wrong, there are some wonderful, talented people at Liberty Mutual. However, if/when you find them they are either jaded, marginalized, on their way out, or some combination thereof.

Advice to Management

• First and foremost, you need to understand that you’re not as smart as you think you are. That isn’t to say you are not smart. It’s to say that the folks that work for you are not as naive as you treat them. When you advocate, for example, that Liberty is trying to become a technology company, and then you continue to treat IT as a cost center, then your words ring hollow. A failure to understand that will only continue to foster the MASSIVE amounts distrust of senior leadership that exists in the company. Your eNPS is going to continue to be abysmal until you’re willing to stop letting ego prevent you from making the hard choices.

• As a corollary, understand that words and phrases have an actual meanings. For example, “Agile” means something. Going through the motions, and implementing SCRUM doesn’t make you “Agile.” If your product teams are setting quarterly KPIs that cannot be changed in the face of emerging realities, then you are not Agile. There are 100s of other examples to cite here. To summarize, saying something, and doing something, are two radically different things.

• Fix your health benefits. I’m going to reiterate, I can’t stress enough just how bad the health benefits are. Overall, you should probably seek to replace your head of HR, as she is amazingly disconnected from the rank and file of the company. I realize that’s harsh, but I don’t know what else to tell you. There is exactly zero trust throughout the company that HR has anyone’s best interests in mind.

• I don’t relish doing this, but I have to keep with the harsh feedback for the time being. Just get rid of everyone in your recruiting team. All of them. They are functionally incompetent.

• I would have rated Liberty a one star if it weren’t for the amazing amount of potential here. Liberty Mutual Insurance WILL NOT be a Fortune 500 company within the next 10 years unless senior manage gets the courage to make the broad institutional, cultural changes that are, and I’m not being hyperbolic here, essential to survival. It’s going to hurt. Too bad. This is what it means to lead.

• Speaking of potential, the US Consumer digital team has a lot of power to control the destiny of the company. Your UX team is KILLING IT with what they have to build on. Key point, “with what they have to build on.” Which is to say, the technology platform is in a pretty sad state. Want to personalize the experience for your end users, anticipate their needs, reduce reliance on an offline experience? Good. Luck. The infrastructure to support this growing consumer demand for the hyperpersonalized, digital experiences generating the existential crisis looming over the industry simply does not exist at Liberty. Worse, the product leadership team haven’t the vision to see, much less understand, it. If Liberty wants to reinvent itself, then start by taking a good hard look at the job your CDO is doing. Or isn’t doing. As it were.

Feb 4, 2019 – Talent and Enterprise Services

First of all, thanks for a well-thought-out review. We're concerned to read some of this, but we appreciate the time and effort it took you to share it all. We'll be passing this information along to... More

8. "Overall, good company culture and benefits"

Current Employee - Finance Manager
    Current Employee - Finance Manager

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, management, culture, diversity, growth opportunities

Cons

too much reorganization recently, including layoffs

Feb 20, 2019 – Talent and Enterprise Services

It's great to hear that our employees feel confident and valued. Thanks for sharing your feedback!

9. "Great Program"

Current Employee - Technology Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technology Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good benefits
    - good FTOs
    - great place to work

Cons

- Better health plan
    - better discount for employee program
    - too much changes

"reveiw"

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Great company culture, flexible options

Cons

not much growth, stagnant career

Advice to Management

development plans, pay could be better

Feb 20, 2019 – Talent and Enterprise Services

We value our employees and we place an emphasis on growth and career trajectory. Feel free to address this with your manager! Your feedback helps us improve.