Macy's Executive Development Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macy's Executive Development Program Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2017

3.1

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Everyone was flown to Atlanta for a two day second round interview. Dinner and hotel was provided and was fabulous. They made an effort to make us all feel welcomed and comfortable.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I first met my recruiter and the Macy's team at one of my school's career fairs. After dropping off my resume, I received an email a few days later from my recruiter inviting me to interview on campus. My two on-campus interviews were with two different associates at Macy's/Bloomingdales. A few days later, I was then was invited for a two-day on campus where we learned about Macy's, its history, and the positions. After that, we needed to do a business activity and then the next day, we had a behavioral interview, case interview, and "business conversation".

The business activity is time set aside for interviewees to go to the Herald Square store to observe certain aspects of the store to discuss during the interview. It is very unstructured and meant for you to develop your own insights in preparation for the next day.

Ultimately, I chose to decline my offer. While Macy's is undergoing a lot of changes (e.g. expanding its online/mobile presence, trying to branch into discount retail, and starting to learn about the Chinese market), I felt as though they wouldn't be things that you could explore through the EDP program. I also greatly value diversity, and while Macy's has a lot of women in high-level positions, it was hard to see a lot of POC and LGBTQ+ representation during my time there. I received another offer elsewhere that was much more competitive (Macy's was either unable to or unwilling to negotiate), and ultimately chose that instead.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked with a difficult team.   Answer Question
    • What are some strategies that Macy's is using in its stores to increase engagement and sales?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you changed someone's mind using quantitative information.   Answer Question
    • What about retail interests you?   Answer Question
    • What is something that Macy's isn't doing that it should consider capitalizing on?   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

A day long interview in NYC. It was a mixed day of group interviews as well as a project and one on one conversations. Hard to prepare but it sets you up well to figure out if retail is for you. A very diverse group of applicants which leads me to believe that it is important to be yourself because there is not a one thing that they are looking for

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone interview followed by a Skype interview and then if selected a 2-day on-site interview at their HQ in NYC. The phone interview was pretty basic interview questions but the Skype interview delved into more technical aspects such as how you would react to changes in the company and how you would solve strategic problems.

Interview Questions

• What is one trend you've seen in the last four years that you think Macy's should capitalize on?   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macy's in November 2016.

Interview

Applied in early November and heard back in late November about an interview -- the HR lady who contacted me said she just wanted to talk with me a bit more about my experience and why I was interested -- it really was just that (so, just preliminary). After that, she scheduled me for a first round FaceTime interview (with her) which was also late November. After that, she said she'd like to move me forward to the second round and that I'd interview with a store manager after the first of the year. In early January, I heard back from her that the recruitment in the fall had been larger than she'd realized, so they already had all people they needed. She was really kind and helpful during the process -- it was quite clear this was the result of a poor holiday season that lead to Macy's closing almost 100 stores, so I don't feel that i was mislead or anything. She also tried her best to give me a chance to join the company -- said she'd pass my information on to the stores in my area and maybe I could be taken on as a sales manager or supervisor and then reapply for the executive development program the following recruitment period (though I accepted employment elsewhere shortly thereafter).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Online assessment and on campus interview followed by final round interviews in their New York City office. About 4 interviews/activities carried out by VP level employees and HR. Carried out over half of a day, not very strenuous but be prepared to do multiple activities to highlight your strengths.

Interview Questions

• Describe Macy's strategic approach to placing merchandise on the floor?

How would you change certain aspects of Macy's current buying practices?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview started with a short case study where you had to read a paragraph and look at sales data with different associated and choose which one you wanted to coach, and then give a 3 minute presentation on why to your interviewer. After that was a few behavioral questions just getting to know you and your leadership experience.

The recruiter that interviewed me was extremely nice and made me feel great about all of my answers, saying that he was confident in me as a candidate and wanted to move me on to the next round of interviews and would email me with the info in a day or two. I received an email the following week from him saying that I was not selected to continue with the interview process, which upset and confused me because of what he told me during the interview. I felt that it was a bit unprofessional to tell a candidate they are going to get invited to the next round of interviews and then take it back.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you had to encourage a difficult group of people?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Campus recruiter, then first round on campus. Along with this I had to complete an application with math questions, and then I had to complete two more online questioners.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you uses statistical data to prove a point. Name a time you had to work with a difficult group.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Cincinnati, OH) in September 2016.

Interview

The first round of phone interviews was informal and mainly asked why you would be a good fit at the company. Nothing technical until the interview at headquarters

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through campus recruiting and received an invite to interview with them. There were two rounds -

First round was on campus and consisted of a behavioral and a scenario interview. The behavioral was pretty straightforward: typical questions about your experience and leadership, and why Macy's. The scenario interview included 3 situations in which you are assuming the role of some type of manager within a store and you need to navigate a particular situation related to your associate.

The second round was on-site and took place over two days. The first day was mostly dedicated to meeting different executives, learning more about the company's history and current strategies, and eating dinner with the recruiters. The second day was when the interviews took place. We had two one-on-one interviews and two exercises (one individual and one group). The interviews consisted of a behavioral (similar to first round) and a personality-based one (questions taken from an online assessment you had to fill out beforehand). The exercises, on the other hand, were essentially case studies in which you had to analyze some information given to you about a particular Macy's store from the perspective of some manager role and give a presentation to the executives at the end of the exercise.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider to be the characteristics of an leader, and describe yourself as a leader.   Answer Question