Macy's Executive Development Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 29, 2017

3.1

128 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Process included a career fair, an on-campus information session (which we were highly advised to attend if we wanted an interview), an on-campus meet & greet, an online assessment, 2 on-campus interviews, and a 2 day final on-site interview in San Francisco.

Macy's went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and appreciated throughout the entire process. The company truly cares for all its candidates and it shows. Out of the 8+ companies that I've interviewed at, Macy's is #1 when it comes to treating their candidates well. The 2 day onsite interview was a blast! The first day was spent learning about the company, meeting people, and having a fun dinner with a few employees. The second day consists of 4 interviews. The first 2 are standard one on one behavioral interviews while the last 2 are presentations/group exercises where you are evaluated on your leadership, reasoning, and public speaking skills.

Interview Questions

• A question regarding dealing with difficult people   Answer Question
  • Case question that required to you to pick a stance based off of given information and then presenting it to the group   Answer Question
  • A group exercise dealing with conflict resolution and leadership   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

The process is pretty long. After applying online I didn't hear back until about a month later. Scheduled a 30 minute phone screening with HR. They ask pretty basic questions. About a month after that they scheduled a 30 minute online Skype interview with a buyer. If you make it past that round then they fly you out all expenses paid to the New York Headquarters. The interview is 2 days. The 1st day you learn more about the company and the culture. They get you comfortable with the brand and then you are told to go to the Herald Square Store to observe for a business case that you will do on the 2nd day. The 2nd day is when the interviews take place. There is an interview with HR, a business case interview, a math test and a group interview where you are put in groups of 4 or 5 to analyze the business. The process is pretty long but they are trying to figure out your strengths and weaknesses as a candidate. You will constantly be interacting with the other candidates which helps you in the business case analysis and helps you build relationships for if you get the job. Keep an open mind throughout the whole process. Heard back after the onsite interview within about 2-3 weeks. Overall it ended up taking about 3-4 months from applying online to hearing back after the interviews.

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through University recruiting. Met with team members at Career Fair as well as information sessions. First round Interviews were virtual on-campus with two directors. I did not get invited to the final round at their headquarters in Cincinnati.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a 30 minute phone call with a recruiter, then a 30 minute Skype interview, and then an on-site final round that was 2 days and included a group interview, 2 30-minute interviews (one fit, one for an exercise they had us do in-store), and a 30-minute retail math test.

Interview Questions

• Why retail? Why Macy's? Tell me about a time you had a challenge leading. Tell me about difficulty you had working with someone.   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Everyone was flown to Atlanta for a two day second round interview. Dinner and hotel was provided and was fabulous. They made an effort to make us all feel welcomed and comfortable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I first met my recruiter and the Macy's team at one of my school's career fairs. After dropping off my resume, I received an email a few days later from my recruiter inviting me to interview on campus. My two on-campus interviews were with two different associates at Macy's/Bloomingdales. A few days later, I was then was invited for a two-day on campus where we learned about Macy's, its history, and the positions. After that, we needed to do a business activity and then the next day, we had a behavioral interview, case interview, and "business conversation".

The business activity is time set aside for interviewees to go to the Herald Square store to observe certain aspects of the store to discuss during the interview. It is very unstructured and meant for you to develop your own insights in preparation for the next day.

Ultimately, I chose to decline my offer. While Macy's is undergoing a lot of changes (e.g. expanding its online/mobile presence, trying to branch into discount retail, and starting to learn about the Chinese market), I felt as though they wouldn't be things that you could explore through the EDP program. I also greatly value diversity, and while Macy's has a lot of women in high-level positions, it was hard to see a lot of POC and LGBTQ+ representation during my time there. I received another offer elsewhere that was much more competitive (Macy's was either unable to or unwilling to negotiate), and ultimately chose that instead.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked with a difficult team.   Answer Question
    • What are some strategies that Macy's is using in its stores to increase engagement and sales?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you changed someone's mind using quantitative information.   Answer Question
    • What about retail interests you?   Answer Question
    • What is something that Macy's isn't doing that it should consider capitalizing on?   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

A day long interview in NYC. It was a mixed day of group interviews as well as a project and one on one conversations. Hard to prepare but it sets you up well to figure out if retail is for you. A very diverse group of applicants which leads me to believe that it is important to be yourself because there is not a one thing that they are looking for

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone interview followed by a Skype interview and then if selected a 2-day on-site interview at their HQ in NYC. The phone interview was pretty basic interview questions but the Skype interview delved into more technical aspects such as how you would react to changes in the company and how you would solve strategic problems.

Interview Questions

• What is one trend you've seen in the last four years that you think Macy's should capitalize on?   Answer Question

Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macy's in November 2016.

Interview

Applied in early November and heard back in late November about an interview -- the HR lady who contacted me said she just wanted to talk with me a bit more about my experience and why I was interested -- it really was just that (so, just preliminary). After that, she scheduled me for a first round FaceTime interview (with her) which was also late November. After that, she said she'd like to move me forward to the second round and that I'd interview with a store manager after the first of the year. In early January, I heard back from her that the recruitment in the fall had been larger than she'd realized, so they already had all people they needed. She was really kind and helpful during the process -- it was quite clear this was the result of a poor holiday season that lead to Macy's closing almost 100 stores, so I don't feel that i was mislead or anything. She also tried her best to give me a chance to join the company -- said she'd pass my information on to the stores in my area and maybe I could be taken on as a sales manager or supervisor and then reapply for the executive development program the following recruitment period (though I accepted employment elsewhere shortly thereafter).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Online assessment and on campus interview followed by final round interviews in their New York City office. About 4 interviews/activities carried out by VP level employees and HR. Carried out over half of a day, not very strenuous but be prepared to do multiple activities to highlight your strengths.

Interview Questions

• Describe Macy's strategic approach to placing merchandise on the floor?

How would you change certain aspects of Macy's current buying practices?   Answer Question