Marcus & Millichap Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Marcus & Millichap Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2018

2.4

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in December 2009.

Interview

Make you take a questionaire where they try to determine how driven and independent you are.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me why you want to join this business. Are you prepared to live without a paycheck for several months?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Irvine, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Pretty straight forward, basic questions - looking for smart, talented individuals. If you are savvy and have previous experience in real estate you should be fine. The job itself is intense so be ready for a full time sales role.

Interview Questions

• what skills could you bring to the table?   1 Answer

Agent Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in April 2015.

Interview

It was short and to the point. I interviewed with the Regional Manager first, who then recommended me to the Agent. I then interviewed with the Agent. The hiring process was quick once it happened, but after submitting my application, it took approximately two months for them to respond.

Interview Questions

• What makes you qualified for this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much of a negotiation phase, but it was a decent starting offer as an entry level position.

Agent Assistant Interview

Interview

Applied online, received a call within a few days. Agent asked why Marcus & Millichap and if I one day wanted to pursue RE license, and if I wanted to one day become an agent in the office.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (New York, NY).

Interview

Very simple and behavioral questions. They want to get to know you and make sure you're a fit. They call you to let you know if you received the job or not. Very straight forward. Nothing analytical

Commercial Real Estate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Interview

I went into this knowing I had very little chance of being hired, seeing that my educational background and experience have very little to do with commercial real estate. However, I saw the position listed on my university careers website. To my surprise, I got called back by the hiring manager within a few hours. In my opinion, the guy had already made up his mind that he wasn't going to hire me before I went in for the interview, so I was kind of disappointed that he wasted my time as well as his own. The interview itself was pretty rough. You better be able to back up everything you say because he asks you "Why?" after every answer you give. He flat out told me that I wasn't a strong candidate towards the end of the interview, which I appreciated, rather than most hiring managers who tell you they will be in contact with you soon. I understand that it's business, never personal, but I would have appreciated it a lot more, however, if they guy didn't have such an arrogant air around him the entire time.

Interview Questions

• Conversation somehow got steered to how I didn't want to move out of state for the "promise of maybe". He insinuated that it was because I wasn't adventurous (I'm actually quite adventurous) and proceeded to tell me how he moved his family across the country and he was adventurous because of it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Elmwood Park, NJ) in July 2008.

Interview

I found the job information on the monster.com (or something similar - cannot remember exactly at the moment) and found out who the regional manager was at the office that I was interested in working for by visiting their website directly. Then I cold called him directly & got lucky by getting directly through to him when I asked for him by his name. I told him that I was interested in working for the company & that I wanted to personally drop off my resume that day. He said he might be busy and may not be able to meet with me, but that i can give it a shot.

I lived about an hour away from the office, but I drove directly to the office that afternoon & tried to meet him with my resume... However, he was busy & was not available to see me that day, so I left my resume with the receptionist. I believe this was Thursday. Then I got a phone call personally from the regional manager the following Monday saying... "I didn't know that you lived an hour away from our office... and drove all the way down to drop off your resume. Why don't you come on by this week to meet with me in person."

After about an hour of one on one interview with him personally in the conference room & the rest was history... I got my NJ real estate license over the summer & went through their 3 month in office training followed by 5 day bootcamp training in LA and passed the test. Then my job began...

Interview Questions

• How are you going to be able to pay for your living expenses for the next year or so?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in West Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (West Los Angeles, CA) in November 2008.

Interview

First, you attend an "information session." Here, you meet the regional manager (your potential boss). He will explain to you what the job is like and try to scare you out of applying. The tatic here is to try to weed out the applicants that are weak, easily intimidated, and ill-suited for the position. Up front they will you that you will not make any money for 12-18 months and that you Must have enough money or means of support during this time (this is the truth). During the information session you will be sized-up to see if you are worthy of an interview. You must dress professsional. If you are going to the West Los Angeles office MEN MUST WEAR A TIE, NO EXCEPTIONS!

After the information session you may schedule a one on one interview with the regional manager if after learning more about the company/position you decide that you like it. The interview is simple. Be confident. Be prepared to answer questions and give detailed examples of your passed experienced. Prove that you are not easily intimidated and demonstrate a great personaly and the Regional Manager will give you a pass...

Interview Questions

• Why are you the best at what you do? What are you good at and why?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about cold-calling. Be prepared to do a mock call on the spot!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Pretty straightforward and upfront. A sales manager sat me down and told me it would be 60+ hours per week to start off with, cold calling some 300 prospects a week. He asked about relevant sales experience, and asked direct questions about whether it would be a problem for me to do all that cold calling. Definitely seemed to expect me to know a good deal about the company going in. Clearly a lot of interviews going on, something of a cattle call.

Interview Questions

• How do you expect to handle the pressure of making a lot of cold calls if you don't have much experience at it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

When first going in to interview with them, I met with the Head Broker at the Manhattan Office. He took his time out to sit with me for about an hour to talk about my resume, and the firm's capabilities. They ask a lot of questions and encourage you to ask as well.

After the first visit, they brought me in another time to explain more about the firm, complete a personality test, and let me talk with a couple of their brokers. Overall, they did a very thorough job of having me understand exactly what they were expecting, and what I should be expecting.

Interview Questions

• Why would I choose to work with someone as young as yourself, when I can work with someone who has been in the business 20 years and has sold several buildings already?   1 Answer

I was offered a job at another firm, otherwise I would have chosen to work with them.