Marcus & Millichap Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (New York, NY).

Interview

Two separate interviews with management. Informative of the oppurtunity and discussed how one can succeed in the business. After that, they wanted to understand the interviewee and how they think they could help the firm succeed in the future

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation where you committed to a goal and achieved it   1 Answer

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Irvine, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Pretty straight forward, basic questions - looking for smart, talented individuals. If you are savvy and have previous experience in real estate you should be fine. The job itself is intense so be ready for a full time sales role.

Interview Questions

• what skills could you bring to the table?   1 Answer

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in December 2009.

Interview

Make you take a questionaire where they try to determine how driven and independent you are.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me why you want to join this business. Are you prepared to live without a paycheck for several months?   Answer Question

Agent Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in April 2015.

Interview

It was short and to the point. I interviewed with the Regional Manager first, who then recommended me to the Agent. I then interviewed with the Agent. The hiring process was quick once it happened, but after submitting my application, it took approximately two months for them to respond.

Interview Questions

• What makes you qualified for this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much of a negotiation phase, but it was a decent starting offer as an entry level position.

Agent Assistant Interview

Interview

Applied online, received a call within a few days. Agent asked why Marcus & Millichap and if I one day wanted to pursue RE license, and if I wanted to one day become an agent in the office.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (New York, NY).

Interview

Very simple and behavioral questions. They want to get to know you and make sure you're a fit. They call you to let you know if you received the job or not. Very straight forward. Nothing analytical

Agent Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Interview

It was about an hour long and pretty straight forward. It’s a great way to learn the ropes and to understand the business more before you jump into it. I think it’s a great platform to learn and to see if I really
    like the business before I graduate.

Interview Questions

• There really weren’t any difficult questions, it was mostly why I wanted the
      position and here’s what I would be doing.   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Interview

I went into this knowing I had very little chance of being hired, seeing that my educational background and experience have very little to do with commercial real estate. However, I saw the position listed on my university careers website. To my surprise, I got called back by the hiring manager within a few hours. In my opinion, the guy had already made up his mind that he wasn't going to hire me before I went in for the interview, so I was kind of disappointed that he wasted my time as well as his own. The interview itself was pretty rough. You better be able to back up everything you say because he asks you "Why?" after every answer you give. He flat out told me that I wasn't a strong candidate towards the end of the interview, which I appreciated, rather than most hiring managers who tell you they will be in contact with you soon. I understand that it's business, never personal, but I would have appreciated it a lot more, however, if they guy didn't have such an arrogant air around him the entire time.

Interview Questions

• Conversation somehow got steered to how I didn't want to move out of state for the "promise of maybe". He insinuated that it was because I wasn't adventurous (I'm actually quite adventurous) and proceeded to tell me how he moved his family across the country and he was adventurous because of it.   1 Answer

Commercial Real Estate Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Orlando, FL) in February 2019.

Interview

A Broker/Owner from Marcus & Millichap reached out to me directly to discuss an opportunity at their Orlando office. Upon responding, I was thrusted into an initial phone interview with the Broker/Owner himself who thought I reached out to them. I was simply trying to find out more info. He was nice on the phone and answered some questions, but very vaguely. He ended up asking me to come to the office to discuss further. I agreed thinking we would be able to discuss commission split, responsibilities, day-in-the-life, etc. Within a couple of hours, I received a link to an online personality test and told that my meeting was an interview. How can I interview if I don't even know the job responsibilities, split, etc?
    I did some further research online and found out their commission splits are locked in for 5 years. Whaaaat?! I understand working with a mentor, specialized education and learning on the job, but to be locked into a commission split of 50/50/25 for 5 years? That's crazy to me. For those who don't know what that split means: you split 50/50 with the brokerage, but then have to give 25% of your 50% to your 'mentor'....for 5 YEARS! I can understand the first year, maybe 2 or at least reevaluating after the first year. But 5 years is insane! I decided to cancel the appointment and continue my search for another good commercial brokerage. It just wasn't the right fit. I also learned that they expect 100 calls per day to 'qualified leads'. These leads from what I've read are old leads or cold calls. I'm not looking for a telemarketing positions.
    I will say that the owner seemed cool and I know the Marcus & Millichap name is known and respected, so for those just starting in real estate, this might be a good opportunity. I've been in the business since 2005, so I wasn't ready to give up that much of my commission for a committed 5 years.

Interview Questions

• It was more conversational and very comfortable. Casual, which I appreciated a lot! I actually asked most of the questions.   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (San Diego, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

I sent in my resume and was contacted to come in for an interview. I understood that the job was commission based but I was not aware that M&M do not offer a draw on commission, at least they did not offer that to me. The interviewer said I would pretty much be working 12 hour days with no pay and no guarantee to make a commission. Majority of the day would be cold calling. I don't mind putting the hours in but need some more security than that, especially considering M&M are known for using people as cold callers for a year with no intention of promoting them to brokers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you faced a major challenge in your work life.   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2018.

Interview

Awesome experience! They are looking for the best of the best. Very straightforward in the interview process. They tell you exactly this is a commission based job. They showed me the office of where I would be working, I met the coworkers. They told me that typically I would be doing a lot of phone calls for generating leads.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to give your full effort and heart into this job?   1 Answer