Qualcomm Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Qualcomm Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Arlington, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I got an interview call for Embedded Software Stability Engineer from their team which is based in San Diego. The call lasted for a brief 30 minutes. It began with a quick introduction by the interviewer about himself, his team and Qualcomm.

He later asked me questions on C, RTOS and Embedded. The questions were conceptual and it took me an average time to answer them. I am hoping to hear back from them to proceed to next round of interviews.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Qualcomm

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Boulder, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

A technical phone interview was set up within a few days after I applied online. I was mostly tested on my knowledge of C programming and embedded systems. An on-site interview was set up within the next few weeks. This consisted of four 50-minute technical interviews with people on the team, lunch and a HR interview. There were questions related to topics like data structures, memory management. The interviews were fairly challenging. There was some C programming and problem solving on the white board. Overall, all the interviewers were all very friendly, professional and made me feel comfortable. I was very impressed with the atmosphere and the culture in the office.

Interview Questions

• Data structures, Memory management, Storage class, RTOS   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Brief phone interview, mostly technical. Then flown out to San Diego for more interviews. The first interview was a little weird, they asked me to log on to my computer and write some simple code, then they asked me to optimize it. They asked a lot of other technical questions as well about RTOS and then some questions about C

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was referred by an employee at Qualcomm for Linux audio team. Was scheduled a phone interview. The interviewer did not call at the mentioned time. He later re-scheduled the interview for next day after I have waited for almost 8 hours for him to call. The interview was for 45 minutes. Mainly covered few HR questions like what is your background? Have you worked in the past? What are your strengths? Rate yourself in C, C++. Later he has jumped into C questions. Very depth analysis required. Each answer has to be explained with the help of examples. And must know the differences between different things and which to use when. After C , he asked few questions about just basics in C++ because I have told him I have never used C++. And later the questions were about Embedded Systems and finally a brain teaser for 5 min. I could only answer the basic definitions but I have no in depth knowledge on the subject which is why I got a reject. They would want an experienced candidate because they would know the actual implementation with examples.

Interview Questions

• C questions:

1. Difference between linked list and array? when to use linked list?
      2. What are dangling pointers? where to use them?
      3. What is recursion? What actually happens during recursion? does the memory get stored on stack? what gets called and how does the program know from where to call? how does unwinding happen? explain with example?
      4. what are structures and unions? when to use what? sizes ?
      5. If you have 2 int and 1 char as parameters for struct and union, what is memory allocated for struct and union in 32 bit processor?
      6. what is free()? how does free know how much memory to de-allocate?

C ++ :
      1. what is the difference between class and object? does class or object create memory? basically learn every detail about classes and objects and just the definition.
      2. what are virtual functions? How are they used? Why are they used? When are they used? Example?

Embedded systems questions:

1. mutexes and semaphores? what is the main difference between them? what is the difference between binary semaphore and mutex? how does locking happen in mutex?
      2. what is trashing? what happens during trashing? what is excessive paging?
      3. what is dynamic loading? what is static loading? when to use dynamic loading? what are the advantages? give an example when to use dynamic loading?

Brain teaser: About seating in an airplane. Probability that last person gets a correct seat. They don't want the answer. They just want to know how to got to the answer. Only concerned about steps to get to the answer though the answer is wrong.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I got phone interview Invitation for two positions separately, one with the QCT team and other with Research Team of Qualcomm. Phone interviews followed with the on site interview.

Interview Questions

• On C- storage class, compiler. RTOS- Mutex and semaphore. Multi threading. Assembly Language- Memory Write and Read implementation using Assembly. How multiply is implemented?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Got interview chance from internal referral. The entire process (from phone interview to onsite interview, and then got offer) takes about 1.5 month. One phone interview, and one onsite interview with 7 interviewers (6 technical interviewers and 1 HR).

Interview Questions

• How would you design an elevator system.
      Follow up, is there any problems (from a embedded system point of view) you should prevent and how will you prevent it in your design.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Began with a phone screen interview which was all technical for about 45 mins to an hour. Called for on-site interview with 5-6 rounds. My first interviewer did not show up on time and the whole interview process was delayed by an hour and half. All the interviews after that were standard. But the interviewers were thoroughly unprofessional. They almost seemed disinterested in taking my interview and were making faces. Looking at their computer screen while hearing my answers and asking me questions.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions as such. I was asked a questions on details of MP3 format which were a little difficult.   Answer Question

I had a better offer from another company. Also, I was very unimpressed with the team in general and the whole interview process. If they cant even conduct an interview properly, I can only imagine the quality of work they might be doing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Boulder, CO).

Interview

After submitting my resume, I received an e-mail stating they were interested. The phone interview wasn't too bad, it lasted about 1 hour and focused mainly on technical programming questions. The on-site interview was pretty intense. I interviewed with 4 different people where they grilled me on technical questions. They are mostly interested in data storage and retrieval; hash tables, binary search trees, etc.

Interview Questions

• Given a list from 1 to 100, name all the different ways you can determine if there are duplicates. Which is the most efficient?   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Qualcomm in September 2013.

Interview

Applied different positions 2 months ago. Received an e-mail for setting up phone interview. Phone interview lasted an hour. Most of the questions were from my background and there was only a simple technical question or at least that's what I thought. Wrote the solution in under a minute. He kept asking more and more questions in detail also made me solve it using another way. I explained him how post increment works yet he just didn't understand and kept arguing. Finally, he noticed a bug which he didn't find at first look and his tone just went down. Overall this was a waste of time on my end with all the time I spent studying only to argue what I told was true. On the other hand the HR (for once) didn't keep me waiting for an answer more than a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA).

Interview

two phone call interviews and followed by an onsite.