Qualcomm Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Qualcomm Embedded Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2017

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Qualcomm in June 2017.

Interview

The interview went quite smoothly. The interviewer first asked me to describe my projects which took about half an hour. Then I had some viva questions directed at me followed by 2-3 coding questions

Interview Questions

• Describe inheritance, multithreading, watchdog timer, etc   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Qualcomm

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Gainesville, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

I had one hour phone interview that included some basic questions about process and threads, synchronization primitives. I was asked about Storage classes in C. What does volatile do and what is its practical applications. Some questions related to Scheduling. Overall it was average.

Interview Questions

• Write a C Program to reverse the words in a sentence   1 Answer
    • Write a C program to encode bits in a 32-bit number such that, most significant 16 bits should be reversed but lower 16 bits should be untouched. Then asked to generalize this to any number of bits.   1 Answer

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview

I applied online and got a mail regarding a phone interview. The interviewer forgot to call me at the scheduled time and I had to reschedule again. During the interview he asked me about multithreading and C questions. Overall the interview was fine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online
    Phone round initially with a team member. Courteous and friendly interviewers.
    Got called for on site in 1 week
    Met with 5 technical team members and 1 HR recruiter for interviews at San Diego campus.
    Long day, lots of questions and coding challenges. Did well in coding challenges but they require better in depth answers to conceptual questions

Interview Questions

• Bit manipulation questions - detect pattern of ones, write masks to insert pattern of ones in a 32 bit integer   Answer Question
    • String and array manipulations - reverse string, reverse words in a string, find duplicates in an array   Answer Question
    • What is virtual memory, caches, priority inversion, reentrancy, semaphore vs mutex, spinlocks   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was scheduled for a phone interview. Interview lasted about 45 min. Questions were mainly about resume, operating systems and C. There was one C coding question on google docs. In all, pretty straightforward questions.

Interview Questions

• Resume projects, RTOS and GPOS, multithreading and synchronization, C coding question on strings.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Boulder, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

2 weeks after applying online I was contacted by the hiring manager for a technical phone screen. We went over pointers and simple function design/testing on a shared word document. 2 weeks later I went in for a full day interview at the Boulder campus. There were 13 other candidates there doing the same thing. I had (4) hour long technical interviews with different members of various teams and (1) half-hour long interview with HR. They fed us lunch and did a brief recruiting presentation. 2 weeks later they sent a generic email stating "Although we were very impressed with your background and qualifications, we are unable to offer you a position with Qualcomm at this time."
    Overall it seemed like they were more interested in finding book worms fresh out of school with no practical working experience than someone with actual embedded engineering experience.
    Make sure to study linked lists, linked lists, binary trees, and more linked lists because that is all they seem to care about!

Interview Questions

• white board: find the first non-recurring character in a string. i.e. input "abbcdcaea" would return "d"   2 Answers
    • white board: find the degrees between the minute hand and hour hand when a clock is at 3:15   Answer Question
    • white board: implement a queue/fifo with push/pop functionality using linked lists   Answer Question
    • white board: create a custom malloc and free function using linked lists   Answer Question
    • white board: swap the values of two pointers without a temp variable   1 Answer
    • white board: write a function that determines if a given variable is a power of 2 or not   1 Answer
    • scheduling, context switching, memory, linked lists, linked lists, linked lists, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Boulder, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview consisted of an hour long initial phone screen and then a "round robin" interview with many other candidates. Interviews were both almost completely technical. They didn't seem interested in getting to know the candidates, only how they could perform under pressure and with technical problems.

Phone interview (1 hr) (pure technical)
    Q: What is a watchdog timer?
    A: Correct
    Q: What is atomic programming/non-locking operation?
    A: Idk
    What is concurrency and multithreading?
    What is static keyword?
    A: correct
    What is volatile keyword?
    A: correct
    Programming problem (live) (reverse a linked list)
    A: correct

In person interview (round robin, 4 interviews, 30 min each, whiteboard)
    I1: Add a new node to a linked list
    A: Mostly correct
    I2: Embedded systems questions, low level programming question using "malloc"
    A: Incorrect, did not perform well
    I3: Function that takes a 2d array of a "sudoku board", and checks to make sure it is a possible board.
    A: Mostly correct
    I4: Reverse string function, reverse words function, binary tree questions
    A: Correct

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I could not pass the phone screen which was my 1st experience and wasn't related to my major (Electrical Engineering). Phone screen took around 30 minutes and there were 5 technical questions and others about my ability based on what I wrote on resume.

Interview Questions

• Explain and describe how binary search tree work based on your own previous works   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Arlington, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I got an interview call for Embedded Software Stability Engineer from their team which is based in San Diego. The call lasted for a brief 30 minutes. It began with a quick introduction by the interviewer about himself, his team and Qualcomm.

He later asked me questions on C, RTOS and Embedded. The questions were conceptual and it took me an average time to answer them. I am hoping to hear back from them to proceed to next round of interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Boulder, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

A technical phone interview was set up within a few days after I applied online. I was mostly tested on my knowledge of C programming and embedded systems. An on-site interview was set up within the next few weeks. This consisted of four 50-minute technical interviews with people on the team, lunch and a HR interview. There were questions related to topics like data structures, memory management. The interviews were fairly challenging. There was some C programming and problem solving on the white board. Overall, all the interviewers were all very friendly, professional and made me feel comfortable. I was very impressed with the atmosphere and the culture in the office.

Interview Questions

• Data structures, Memory management, Storage class, RTOS   Answer Question