Qualcomm Modem Systems Test Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 28, 2017

3.4

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Boulder, CO) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for Modem Systems Test Engineer in Boulder, Colorado. After 2 days I received e-mail to schedule phone interview. Interview lasted60 minutes. Two days after phone interview I received another e-mail to schedule on site visit.

Interview Questions

• 1. OFDM
    2. Cycle Prefix
    3. Resume details
    4. Source and channel coding
    5. Ideas for low throughput   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Qualcomm

Modem Systems Test Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview was purely technical. Asked about Probability and Digital Signal Processing. They even asked some questions from C language. Some questtons were like difference between OFDM and CDMA and which one is better.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter then had a phone interview and then had an onsite interview. The interviewers all had different areas of expertise and therefore were testing knowledge in varous areas. Programming skills and knowledge are a must.

Interview Questions

• Describe the differences between LTE/WCDMA and when you would use one over the other.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview spanned the whole day. It consisted of one on one interviews with 4 different members of the team. The interviewers had varying fields of technical expertise. Each interview lasted 45 minutes. The interviews were in the engineer's cubicle and often had me working out the problem on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• Explain the hardware design a polyphase filter and the number of MACs required.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Round1 - 30min
    Round2 - 35min
    Need to know all that you have mentioned in resume. Very friendly. 3 people interviewed. Since the time was less, the interviewer expected straightforward answers. Better know the concepts well. Otherwise might have been difficult and uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• All about resume, why SCFDMA in uplink, PHFICH channel frequencies, what happens in MRC, LTE call procedure.   1 Answer

Modem Systems Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview

2 phone interviews. One day long on-site interview in San Diego. Everything was organized, not to mentioned everything was paid by Qualcomm. Onsite can be 1:1 or 1:2 or 1:3. or even 1:many

Interview Questions

• Basics of Digital Communication, C/C++, RF, Probability, Statistics   Answer Question

Modem Systems Test Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Qualcomm in March 2014.

Interview

Onsite interview basic programming question and networking questions. It was contract position so they directly called for onsite interview. Onsite interview was with team lead and was for 90 minutes. He basically asked basic C and perl programming questions and TCP header format and other TCP and UDP questions.

Interview Questions

• C programming questions and TCP UDP protocols questions.   Answer Question

Modems Systems Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

First, I had a phone screen which lasted for an hour. It was basically on the wireless communication concepts like LTE, OFDM, channel access methods, Error correction and detection, fading concepts and digital communication concepts.

Then I was called for an onsite interview which had 7 rounds including HR.

Interview Questions

• Have to know the basics very well. Digital communication and wireless communication concepts should be well understood.   Answer Question

Modem Systems Test Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone Interview:

Asked Questions on : CDMA basics operation, OFDM basic principle, Importance of orthogonaility in OFDM, How is Orthogonality achieved, Cyclic prefix in OFDM,
    MIMO basics, Antenna Diversity concept.

Most of the phone interviews are usually based on Resume. So be clear with all your projects mentioned.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I applied for the position in mid August and got the invitation for the phone interview after a month. The phone interview lasted around 45 minutes. It was purely technical, covering all aspects of MIMO and OFDM. Make sure you know what you are taking about because they cover the concepts well in depth and throwing out buzz words might land you in trouble.
    The interviewer was very nice and explained about the position after the technical round.
    He offered me to come on site straightway. One important tip is to make sure you ask good questions about the position at the end.

On site interview process is very exhaustive and in depth. I had 8 rounds, one HR and 7 technical. All the interviewers were very nice, professional and supportive. The interview process covered all the basics of wireless communications including fading, modulation techniques, interleaving, source coding/channel coding, MIMO equalizers, fundamentals of TCP/IP, digital communications, signal processing and C programming (particularly pointers and linked lists)
    In between the interviews, they take you out for lunch. Make you you strike an intelligent conversation during that time and ask relevant questions.
    Also make sure you are very thorough with your resume as they can ask about any experience mentioned their.

Interview Questions

• Take a random sequence of bits and perform source coding using Huffman code.
      Write an optimization function for a 4 way traffic intersection, where vehicles are coming in from all directions. [Hint: Think cars as client in need of service arriving at an arrival rate and traffic light as the server process with a service rate]
      Drive the bit error rate of BPSK.
      Write a regular expression in Perl to search for a string pattern.( this was unexpected since I had told them I did not know perl )
      How would you test a Modem if you get complaints from field about cell phones not working. Describe the test cases.   Answer Question