Staples Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,450 Interview Reviews

2.3

1. Featured Interview

Software Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Staples in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. Interview was easy. Interviewed by a Senior software Engineer. Applied in April 2016. They scheduled a phone interview in May. Interview was around 40 min. Mostly on basics. Gave me an offer letter after 2 weeks from the interview.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone call weeks later when I least expected it. The person on the phone confirmed my interest of the position and told me that they would like to set up a group interview with me which I remember was a couple days after the phone call. At that point, I wasn't sure if I would get the job because I had heard that it was harder to pass group interviews because of the competition and such. But I dressed my best because if I couldn't sell my job experience to them (I had none) at least I could try selling my professional outward appearance. The lady for the group interview was very sweet and friendly and the group interview was very nice. There were 6 people total and everyone was supportive of each other. She sometimes pointed at someone specific to answer first or she would tell us we'll go in order a certain way or sometimes who ever wanted to start. The questions weren't very hard and it seemed like she was rooting for us to get hired. After the interview, she told us we would get a phone call in a few days (an email is for rejection), but when I went home, I missed their phone call because they had called me right away. (So make sure to watch your phone after.) She told me she would like to schedule my second interview with the manager on Wednesday (she called me on a Friday I think). For the second interview, I wasn't sure if it was going to be another scenario questions interview or something different and it was a bit of both. The manager was busy so I spoke with the assistant manager and it seemed like she wanted to hire me right away. She asked me very quick questions at first and later it transitioned to us conversing together and getting along. She spoke with the manager on the spot and came back to offer me $11.20 an hour. Since I had no prior experience, I joyfully accepted but if you think you have leverage and are in this situation, make sure you at least ask for a certain higher number and see what they say.

Interview Questions

• (Group interview) Why did you apply to Staples?   Answer Question
    • (Group interview) Tell me a time that you had good customer service and what good customer service looks like to you.   Answer Question
    • (Group interview) Tell me a time that you went above and beyond for someone.   Answer Question
    • (Group interview) Before we finish up this interview, tell me if you were hired, what would you being to the table.   1 Answer
    • (Second interview) Tell me a little bit about yourself.   1 Answer
    • (Second interview) What do you know about Staples?   1 Answer
    • (Group interview) How do you feel about working in a fast-paced environment?   Answer Question
    • (Group interview) How do you feel about working in a one-on-one environment with the customers and about adjusting to their pace?   Answer Question
    • (Second interview) Do you have any previous job experience?   1 Answer

B2B Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Staples (Englewood, NJ).

Interview

Standard "about you question". Sales pitch on why they should hire you with your self created marketing materials. Both territory sales manager and District managers are present. Preparing effective marketing materials on "why you should hire me" was the most difficult part. Be creative. They were more laid back than I expected.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Austin, TX).

Interview

walked in waited for a good while, till the manager was available, then they took me to the office and told me what id be doing, it wasn't bad at all just be you but respectful the manager that interviewed me laughed at my corny jokes .

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Staples.

Interview

General manager who interviewed me was extremely nice and helpful. Asked me about my past experiences, why I want to work there, etc. Asked about my availability, etc. Overall a nice experience.

Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Staples (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview was great. I loved the general manager she was very easy going and a people person. I found out it only paid $12 an hour at the end of the interview. Felt like I wasted my time wish I knew before I went in.

Copy and Print Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and they contacted me a week or so later. The interview itself was easy-going. The manager took me to the back, asked me generic questions as well as having me sell him a printer on the floor as if I was working there to see what I'd be like - which was perfect. I was called four days after my interview confirming I got the job offer.

Interview Questions

• What brought you to apply to Staples?   Answer Question
    • Describe one time you were approached by a difficult customer and how did you proceed with handling the problem?   Answer Question
    • If I were to call your previous employer and ask what is one good and bad quality about you, what do you think they'll say?   Answer Question

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (North Lauderdale, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

My interview was scheduled at 9:15am but i went as soon as the store opened 9:00am. The manager who interviewed me said that was a plus because he had scheduled another interview for 9:00am switch i a made it before them. So arrive early. He only asked me two questions and the interview process only lasted 10 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and your work experience you have?   1 Answer
    • What is your availability and when is the earliest you can start?   1 Answer

Technology Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (Springfield, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

After months of trying to get my application noticed, I was finally called in for an interview. The GM was a very easy going man. He asked me why I chose Staples. He asked me about myself. He asked me about my experience with technology. He asked me about how i have solved issues with my technology. He asked me how I'd handle situations in the store. For example, an angry customer, or a dysfunctional co-worker. After everything, he gave me a sheet to study, which contained questions that I would need to ask customers and on the back were the prices for their support plans. I would later be called for the second part of the interview where I had to sell the product the the GM.

Interview Questions

• He asked me why I chose Staples. He asked me about myself. He asked me about my experience with technology. He asked me about how i have solved issues with my technology. He asked me how I'd handle situations in the store. For example, an angry customer, or a dysfunctional co-worker.   Answer Question

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (San Jose, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied to staples, but after a week of waiting they didn't call me, so I had to call them. Got an interview. The interview was one on one with one of the managers, he talked about what staples was like and stuff like that, then he asked me if I had any questions. It was kinda weird and thought why he didn't ask me many questions. Afterwards, he said they call me on Wednesday, but I didn't get the call, so I had to call them again and they told me they were still interviewing other applicants.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any job experience?
      What clubs or school activities were you involved in?   Answer Question

Technology Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in California, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Staples (California, MD) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online for two positions, both Sales Associate and Technology Sales Associate, and I received an interview a week later. The interview process was fairly easy, and I arrived on time. The manager and team behind the Staples I was at were all wonderful people to meet with.