Math Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Math Interview Questions

interview questions shared by candidates

Math Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

If you had 5,623 participants in a tournament, how many games would need to be played to determine the winner

61 Answers

Before I could figure that out, I'd need to know whether the # of participants represents the number of individuals on larger teams, or the number of teams

A specific numerical answer can be given, but there are multiple ways the tournament can be setup, for example, are there play-in games, byes, etc. I would think the question is being given to a manager to see how they think and process, and then come up with a specific numerical answer, as opposed to just a math problem.

It can be just one game. A huge mock battle.

What is the sum of the digits of all the numbers from 1 to 1000000? This is different from the sum of the numbers. For instance the sum of the numbers from 1 to 10 is 55 whereas the sum of the digits is 46.

16 Answers

Implement a power function to raise a double to an int power, including negative powers.

11 Answers

• Is 1027 a prime number? • How would you write an algorithm that identifies prime numbers? • 2 blue and 2 red balls, in a box, no replacing. Guess the color of the ball, you receive a dollar if you are correct. What is the dollar amount you would pay to play this game?

6 Answers

13 cubed

6 Answers

One thousand 1x1x1 cubes in a 10x10x10 cube. Outside spray painted. How many have no paint.\?

5 Answers

If you have a three gallon jug and a five gallon jug No marks on either one The goal is to fill the five gallon jug with four gallons of water How is this accomplished?

5 Answers

You sell 200 cups of coffee per year at $10 for a cup. It costs you eight dollars to produce a cup of coffee. Would you rather double your price but loose half of the amount you sell or keep the price the same and double the amount that you sell? Which is more realistically feasible?

5 Answers

How would you implement integer division if your language did not offer it.

5 Answers

We have a pond containing a single bacterium. The number of bacteria double every 5 minutes, and the pond is full of them in 24 hours. If we started with the same pond but two bacteria, how long will it take to fill the pond?

4 Answers