Avid Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Avid Technology Reviews

Updated February 13, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Avid Technology Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Louis Hernandez, Jr.
Louis Hernandez, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company and great products (in 54 reviews)

• Very interesting products and a lot of great people (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Career growth seemed difficult and upper management seemed poor (in 45 reviews)

• Senior management set the goal in outer space to they could pay people next to nothing (in 23 reviews)

"Perplexed at all the Untrue posts about company by disgruntled folks"

I worked at Avid Technology (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have never met a more technically astute CEO that connects with clients the way he does. He seems to trust his team that had to do a lot of fixing. For all the old glory discussion, no one mentions the current team had to fix wrong accounting for 9 years before they repaired the company, and all the old results were wrong. I have worked with clients in international markets and they love the company's new direction and most know the management team personally because they are always at key events. Keep watching the results and you'll see that most of these repeat disgruntled, made up posts are not true. There is high accountability, the CEO will talk to you anytime and even stays for drinks with us like a regular guy. If you are looking for a challenging, fun and interesting place with a fully engaged management group, i would recommend Avid. Ask us directly when you interview!

Cons

Hangover from all these older employees who should get a life.

Advice to Management

Heard about your presentation to Veterans organization..they were so excited..more of this would be good!

"Avid technology"

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very interesting products and a lot of great people.

Cons

Bad location. The current management team is more interested in the stock price rather than employees.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employees.

"Poor upper management and slow career growth"

I worked at Avid Technology full-time

Pros

Some great people to work with, flexible hours, and cool products, especially if you're a musician.

Cons

Compared to Silicon Valley companies, they were fairly low on perks. Career growth seemed difficult and upper management seemed poor. I know someone who has been there for quite a while and has not been promoted or been given decent wage increases to combat the ever increasing cost of living in the bay area. I was in a town hall meeting once where an upper manager was basically yelling at an employee and trying to bully or shame him for whatever reason. Also, another town hall meeting where the CEO talked about his numerous girlfriends. Just wrong. There also seemed to be some shady things going on business-wise.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO with a new one that employees will trust and get some good management and flatten the hierarchy.

"Real Truth"

I have been working at Avid Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work on in the cloud area. Our original products are growing again, our new products are winning almost every award, and we are leading in areas like cloud, security, AI, etc. Just look at last quarter's growth in enterprise deals and subscriptions, two areas that didn't exist 5 years ago. The company added new board members like the CEO's of two very large media companies and the CEO and board members are investing their own money. As a technology person, the energy is great, very collaborative and new products all the time. The Avid Customer Association has grown to over 20,000 members who work closely with us. It is a great place to be right now because a lot is happening. I am looking for several key folks to hire.

Cons

Transition was difficult for many. Many changes to deal with. At times, I think management took on too much. However, what we have done is amazing and the management team gives the team credit.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating, keep these new policies that are employee friendly, love the casual work environment and unlimited vacation. As we start hiring more folks, make sure they are only the best.

"Bad Management and full of attitude"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers are good and nice building

Cons

Executives have bad attitude problem - Don't work there. Expect too much with no returns. Not open to new things, stuck in old ways of doing things. Open concept with no privacy.

Advice to Management

Give employees training instead of attitude and rudeness. Teach and encourage them to grow. People will work happily if you treat them properly.

"don't go there"

Former Employee - Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly good people working there.
    Some of the managers are very good. Others, not so much.

Cons

Layoffs every January for at least the past three years. Additional summer layoffs. Very rare to have new positions in US. Most are being filled in Europe (Poland) due to lower cost/salaries (2-3 people in Poland for the price of one in the US).
    Company culture has continued to decline over the past several years. Open cube plan, which means other people in your area will be picked up when you're on a con call with someone.
    Trying to push customers to go into the public cloud (MS only) even though it's not fully vetted.
    Quarterly company meetings are 1-1/2+ hours long. Could be condensed into ~10 minutes (at most) but CEO loves to give sales pitches to employees (and hearing himself talk).
    Most internal meetings run long. Extremely rare for any meetings to end on time, or even more rare for them to end even a few minutes early.
    There are more, but too many to list here.

Advice to Management

Stop giving employees the mushroom treatment. Have at least some loyalty towards employees.

"Exciting Times!"

I have been working at Avid Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are thinking of working here, talk to hires in the last few years. Great energy, clients happy which is why we are growing with cloud, subscriptions, huge enterprise relationships. Our customer association has gone from zero to over 20 thousand customers, and our artist community, a new product, has over 30,000 people. Casual dress code, unlimited vacation, nice pay, very engaged management team, and lots of hiring.

Cons

Haters don't want to admit company was in rapid decline, had accounting issues and has had to change a lot of things, it was necessary and as a person who deals with customers everyday..it's working.

Advice to Management

Love seeing management active in market and friends with big clients, new products are really taking off and new employee friendly policies are a pleasant surprise along with bonuses. After so many changes, please let's limit additional changes and keep things going. New team is great around the world such dedicated people who seem to care!

"Documenting the Decline"

I have been working at Avid Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Avid has some of the most outstanding engineers and technology.

Cons

Upper management is poor at best. I've been there over 10 years and have watched one CEO after another lead the company in crazy directions.

Advice to Management

I have no idea the direction of the company. We're offshoring engineering and support and never hire anyone in the US. There's only a concern about the quarterly results and near impossible demands are placed on employees.
    Management seems completely confused as to why the company is in the state it is and no understanding on how to fix it.

"Difficult Times Continue no light at the end of the tunnel"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Avid Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many talented and dedicated employees in Engineering. The technologies we work with are interesting. Lots of money spent for fun times at trade shows.

Cons

The first workforce reduction for 2018 occurred. Continued layoffs and down-sizing in the USA. Particularly for engineering. All open engineering positions are at locations out side of the USA. Difficult financial times. Debt is extremely high for a company of this size.

Advice to Management

Morale is very low. It is very discouraging to see empty work spaces which were previously occupied by very dedicated co-workers who were dismissed. USA engineering was once the strength and backbone of the organization. Your plan Is not working. It is time for a new executive management team.

"Definitely NOT exciting times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Avid Technology full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many very cool co-workers, cool products (but none are no longer the defacto standard).

Cons

CEO, layoffs, job security, no job satisfaction, executive staff, morale, lack of direction, huge debt, revenue significantly declined from 10 years ago (Apple , Adobe and Blackmagic taking a large share of the business). "Planted" 5-star ratings on Glassdoor are a reflection of the desperate state of the executive staff. Anyone who submits a 4 or 5 star rating has either been suggested to do so, is delusional or is sucking up to management to stay employed and keep their job wherein they add no value. ENG, PM and marketing are at odds. Marketing is a joke. Seems everyone is a manager, director, senior director, V.P. or whatever and their job is to be bloggers and convince people Avid's products are good. Back in the day when Avid's products were actually innovative and by far the best in the industry there was no need to have an army of high-paid executives blogging to sell product. Outsource the blogging instead of the engineering. Focusing on ENG is what Avid used to do and that resulted in Avid being #1 (with no other company even close). In my opinion, for the past 3-years Avid's main product is blogging. Oh and you do not want to be a woman in this organization. CEO isn't big on having women at high executive levels or on the executive staff. He had one on the E-staff, she was fantastic, but she didn't last long, maybe a year. She left, was a class act and was quickly recruited by another organization. No one has even come close to filling her shoes.

Advice to Management

Glad I'm out of there. Once you are out you realize how horrific the executive and mid-management teams are. You should all pack your bags. No one would miss you and the company would run smoother and be profitable.