Daugherty Business Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Daugherty Business Solutions President and CEO Ron Daugherty
Ron Daugherty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They care about the employee and have better work life balance with their local model than other consulting companies (in 21 reviews)

• No travel required with this company (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Self-described as a consultancy, but mostly staff-aug (in 28 reviews)

• but thats part of work life balance (in 11 reviews)

"Great time working at Daugherty"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly enjoyed my time working at Daugherty! The engagements that I was put on matched my skill set and although my final engagement wasn't what I was originally brought in to do, the opportunity provided greatly enhanced my previous skills that I hadn't, per say, used in a while.

I recommend DBS as a potential employer and wouldn't hesitate returning for the right situation(s)!

Cons

No Cons to report around the work itself, however, please see Advice to Management...

Advice to Management

The only suggestion I would provide is: The leader of each Line Of Service should make it a priority to reach out to their individual contributors a bit more and respond to them in a timely fashion when one reaches out. Even perhaps holding a quarterly meeting with fellow LOS team-mates would show thought and care!

"Super collaborative team!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, likable people, very collaborative, thought leadership is the key!

Cons

I dont have any that come to mind..

Advice to Management

none

3. "Best and Brightest Company"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consultants are involved in company growth. New account engagements and growth in existing ones. Smart, collaborative team, genuinely interested in client satisfaction.

Cons

Commute times can vary with engagement locations

Advice to Management

None at this time.

4. "Not the worst, not the best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Daugherty attempts to recruit and hire top talent, so most colleagues are strong in their areas of expertise.

Most roles are within interesting areas of Fortune 100 clients.

Training/Certification opportunities are reasonably available.

Cons

Promotion process is unclear; Bonus structure is meager and based on tenure.

Chicago office relies primarily on two large clients for business and has had challenges in developing and expanding with new clients.

As a company, Daugherty aspires to be a consultancy, however, the actual mix of projects is at least 50/50 between staff aug vs. true consulting/project roles.

While the local model is great for avoiding air travel, commute times to client sites can be significant in the Chicago area.

"Atlanta branch growing again with addition of new client partners"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The prior Atlanta branch leadership did not execute Daugherty's business model well creating too many staff aug type assignments. The new client partner team is driving change in the business and selling some interesting new assignments. There is an increased sense of optimism and energy throughout the office.

Cons

Took too long for senior leadership to recognize the issue and make a change.

Advice to Management

Trust the new client partners and let them run and grow the business.

6. "Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

Good benefits, and pay, Happy hours

Cons

No training dollars, management has no idea how to empower employees, leadership constantly changing

7. "Pragmatic organization that focuses on delivery"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Engineers have real clout in this organization. The CEO is a former Software Engineer and has created a company culture that respects the opinion of the software professionals who actually do the work. Estimates are always done by senior engineers and not sales. By the time the project starts they have enough resources to deliver the project without the expensive death marches that plague the rest of the industry.

Cons

It's a large company that contains a fair amount of hierarchy and process. That can be a culture shock if you come from a start-up company.

Advice to Management

Be cautious with your expansion and don't compete on price per hour. Continue taking jobs that we can deliver on in order to maintain our reputation of being able to deliver without the drama.

8. "Please take time to consider all of your options and heed the reviews from former employees"

I have been working at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

The good:

1) The people. The other Daugherty Consultants will be some of the best people you will work with in your career. How Daugherty Chicago keeps recruiting such top notch people despite the issues and Glassdoor reviews is beyond me but I think it must be the attractive starting salaries.
    2) The money - the salary when I started and that I make today is significantly above average.
    3) The benefits - they are very good.
    4) The two support people in the office are top notch and ALWAYS have your back. They don't get thanked enough for the job they do.

Cons

The not so good - here are some things to consider if you are thinking of joining Daugherty Chicago:

- Revolving door for sales staff - most are gone within a year – how can Daugherty Chicago grow without effective sales?
    - After so many years of bad reviews - there is a reputation issue to overcome. Not good.
    - Daugherty Chicago has only a few key clients, and when they have a hiccup then everyone suffers (read layoffs)
    - Daugherty Chicago has a mostly non-existent presence in the city except for one-off projects
    - You will most likely be “staff aug” and not really in a consultant role
    - If you have a specific area of expertise and Daugherty Chicago does not currently have clients with those needs but hopes to cultivate those types of clients – beware. You may end up working in a role for which you are not entirely a good fit. Unless you put effort into keeping your skills sharp on your own, you will quickly become less marketable.
    - Heed the review on Glassdoor with the story of the blacksmith and internalize the warning
    - If you decide to be hopeful (and wow - aren't you are a super glass half full person) and you take that offer just know this: If you are billable at a client, there will be few, if any, opportunities to move to more exciting projects or projects that fit your background better. In fact, after a management change or two, no one will know what your skill set is or why you were hired. If you try marketing yourself to the new leadership you will likely be ignored.
    - It is doubtful that you will be transferred from a client where you are billable to a new project or client that better matches your skill set. The new, better fitting, more attractive project will be assigned to whoever is on the bench (even if they lack your expertise) or used as a tool to recruit new employees with your skill set.
    - Daugherty Chicago does not reward company loyalty, track record, overall performance, etc. At all. Ever..... Suck it up buttercup.
    - If you are a high performer at a client where you are billable, and the client likes you – you will likely be left to rot at that client as long as the client is happy and they are willing to pay for your time. You are staff aug remember?
    - Based on observation and experience Daugherty does not care about your career progression and goals.
    - Because of the above, there are no guidelines on how to get promoted. It seems to be mostly a popularity contest and largely depends on your team leader.
    - Many team leaders are severely lacking in leadership skills or desire to lead. I was fortunate to have a fantastic team leader for the first year with Daugherty. This has made the last few years unbearable.
    - Your team leader may rarely meet with you - or not ever meet with you - or ask you about career goals. He/she will not be held accountable for this. (In fairness there have been some efforts to correct this recently, but it is yet to be seen if the changes will be enforced.)
    - If you try to have honest conversations with the latest configuration of the management team about your concerns you will likely be ignored. At best, you will get an in-person conversation with a lot of head nodding and no action. At worst, every email you send, text and call you make will be ignored entirely. You will also be labeled a troublemaker.
    - Raises are very minimal each year. If you choose to accept an offer, know this in advance because you need to negotiate the best upfront salary you can get.
    - Bonuses are based only on months served and are completely at the Daugherty's discretion. There are no performance based bonuses and the annual review process is a complete joke.

Good luck.

Advice to Management

I wasn't going to write a review. Then I saw all of the latest happy, chirpy reviews. Really? Who is writing these?

I wanted everything to work out with all of the (yet again) leadership changes. It just doesn't seem that there is going to be a new, successful path very soon and in fairness, people should know what they are signing up for because the needed changes at Daugherty Chicago are not being made.

My best advice to management is a complete overhaul of the Chicago office and a strategy based on the Chicago market....not what works in Atlanta, St. Louis, Dallas, or Minneapolis. What will work in Chicago. Other local market consulting companies are thriving - there is no reason Daugherty should not be one of them.

"Great if You Are a Good Ol Boy"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues. Daugherty recruits the best in the market.

Cons

The organization is a good ol boys club. Men are generally promoted and paid more in Minneapolis. Consultants are generally told as I was that they will be working in a Daugherty team and are “body shopped” out to placements that are not within the great work lane promised during the interview. Raises are small and often not given even when clients are overjoyed with work.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to where the work is coming from and keep those that keep the ‘lights on’ happy. Don’t just promote and give raises to your ‘yes’ men because pretty soon that is all that will remain and you’ll have an organization that will stagnant and die.

Daugherty Business Solutions Response

Oct 23, 2017 – Marketing Specialist

I’m sorry that your experience with us over the last five years left you feeling this way about our company, but we always appreciate the feedback. You were with us through significant growth in the... More

10. "Software Engineer"

I worked at Daugherty Business Solutions full-time

Pros

Daugherty has a great culture. The environment was fun while still working hard. The CEO is a very driven guy who is very passionate about the future.

Cons

Some of their technology decisions were a bit outdated. They do really well in some markets, but have a tendency to allow complacency in some of their employees. Their skills then get out of date and cause them to make technological decisions that are not best by today's standards. I saw them lose contracts due to this issue.

Advice to Management

Try to encourage employees to grow while still keeping your fun culture. Reward employees that go above and beyond the status quo.