Foxtons Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Nic Budden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The long hours were brutal during the holidays (in 59 reviews)

• Long working hours equals no social life (in 20 reviews)

1. "Awesome place for graduates to start their careers....."

I worked at Foxtons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, hard work is rewarded. Promotes within.

Cons

None. A great place to start your sales career

2. "I worked at Foxtons USA back in 2002-2004"

Former Employee - Creative Director in West Long Branch, NJ
    Former Employee - Creative Director in West Long Branch, NJ

I worked at Foxtons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a blast developing all the amazing marketing campaigns we did. I had a huge budget and had many of my designs appear in TV and movies such as "Sex in the city", and "The eternal sunshine of the spotless mind".

Cons

The long hours were brutal during the holidays

Advice to Management

You need to learn more about American culture before you market here again

"Silly"

I worked at Foxtons full-time

Pros

None whatsoever. Not a great place to be

Cons

Ridiculous that you try and poach senior staff from better established companies like banks etc with lies about the positions, then put them in junior roles answering phones and cold calling people.

Advice to Management

stop bullying your staff. Hire people that know how to run a business, and get management consultants to sort your life out. create more opportunities for your staff, and maybe they'll stay longer.

Foxtons Response

May 17, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your review. We find your feedback surprising. We hope you find happiness in your next role.

"I never understood the expression 'he sold his soul to the devil' until Foxtons purchased my own from me."

Former Employee - Sales Neg in Hell Town, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Neg in Hell Town, MO

Pros

The brainwashing doesnt make you feel like you're being brainwashed

They pay your petrol

Good money can be made if you're willing to put in 100%

At the friday meeting they'll throw bottles of champagne and fifty pound notes at you when they like you and they'll throw abuse and mockery at you if they dont

Great training

Looks AMAZING on a CV

Cons

Once you walk into their head office for your first day of training, they own you. They own your whole life.

Foxtons is a place where a group of evil, insecure victims have banded together and called themselves "Management"/"Senior Management".

"The lifers" (as we called them) have created a culture based on bullying, fear, intimidation, threats, lies and money. This way they can all act like dictators, abuse members of staff who are new/less senior, get away with it and feel great about themselves.

Some of the abuse stories that you hear about are just awful, I have seen with my own eyes members of staff getting verbally, physically and even sexually abused by the hands of the powers that be. The majority of the time nothing is mentioned because of the brainwashing and the fear of losing one's job.

The worst part about it is that there is no time away at all - 12 hour days, forced to work weekends off, no break throughout the day. Lunchtime is grab a sandwich after a viewing and it had better be swallowed before you step foot back in the office!

I could go on for hours about these people, but please understand, the majority of employees at foxtons are being exploited. The evil doers are in the minority but hold all the power, once you've worked there for a few months you'll be able to differentiate someone whos there until he finds something better and those that fully embrace the scumbaggery that is the culture at foxtons.

Advice to Management

Go a bit easier on your staff, im sure all the abuse and negativity is affecting your bottom line.

The shareholders are demanding an increase in profits, perhaps a slightly happier, less overworked workforce would result in increased productivity and reduced turnover and, as if by magic, one method of increasing revenues has been created!

5. "Lettings Negotiator"

I worked at Foxtons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training is great but having a car that you can use in your free time (that you don't have much of btw) is the best part of the job.

Cons

Nothing is ever enough for the management so it's very easy to burn out fast. The hours are long and work is draining.

6. "It's not for everybody."

I worked at Foxtons full-time

Pros

Phone and company car ( great, but can be annoying when you have your own car at home and are not allowed to use it)
    Training ( intense but you learn a lot, all the trainers are lovely and welcoming, you meet great people alongside this process)

Cons

Unwelcoming vibe/lack of support for newcomers in SOME offices.
    Long hours with no official lunch break- grab lunch in between viewings which can feel rushed and inadequate.
    Unrealistic expectations when it comes to travelling and time frame with viewings or places your sent to go to.
    Sometimes you come across sly/sneaky colleagues who will talk bad behind others(can happen anywhere though)
    Lack of praise (when you are working those long hours and doing all you can this can feel very discouraging)

Advice to Management

Make your negotiators feel welcome and that they are able to ask you for help if something isn't clear without fear of being snapped at.
    Communicate better, don't spring things on people last minute when they already have tasks to complete that you set them to do. Especially when they are new.
    Try and keep up the reputation that the training team leave on negotiators. Personally, my experience at head office was positive and refreshing, but my time experienced with management in the office has ruined what I thought would be a long lasting career with Foxtons.
    First impressions leave lasting impressions. Remember what is was like when you first started out and have some sympathy.

7. "A job to remember"

Former Employee - Sales Negotiator in Wembley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Negotiator in Wembley, England (UK)

I worked at Foxtons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For me the whole experience was mind-blowing. I was enthusiastic, motivated and loved the company from the first day there.
    The training is intense but interactive and fun.
    I was blessed with an amazing manager that made every day entertaining but still kept us working hard.
    The car, targets, office nights out,quarterlies, Christmas parties are a sweet reward for working hard so you get to socialise within the company a lot.
    If you are passionate about sales and don't mind working hard absolutely go for it !

Cons

Unfortunately I had to leave because the basic salary was too low for me to be able to pay my outgoings in a very tough market where deals don't come easy.
    Working hours are way too long for the salary you're getting.

Advice to Management

Work-Life balance is important to keep your sanity. Reduce the hours. Finishing at 19 instead of 20 will help you retain people.
    Or increase the salaries if you expect people to work until 20:00.
    There has to be a compromise from your side towards your staff if you want people to stay. Money, Hrs or maybe a bit of both ?
    Miss working there, wish you all the best in the future.

8. "fun but draining"

Former Employee - Lettings Negotiator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Foxtons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

young enviroment
    great systems and everyone has a company car

Cons

working hours are 8:40-8pm
    progression within the company takes extremely long and if you're going well as a negotiator with commission, moving up to a valuer could mean a pay cut.

Advice to Management

stop over doing it on hours and be a little more welcoming to people having dentist appointments etc

9. "Property management"

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Foxtons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and training given

Cons

None as of yet .

"You're just another number."

I worked at Foxtons full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Phone and Use of a company car, Training is good.

Cons

- You cannot choose whether you work in sales/lettings
    -You will not know which office you will work in until the very end of the training
    -You will only be trained in one field, making you feel inadequate to learn about the other aspects of property.
    -If placed in suburban offices, you will be working with people who are extremely local and extremely close-minded.
    -You have to apply for time off a month before
    -You cannot take time off in summer
    -You can NEVER be late
    -You shout figures on a daily basis without properly tracking your progress (it just has to be done at 8.40am every day)
    - You pay a lot of money for parking tickets and scratches

Advice to Management

Micromanagement does not work in this day and age.
    Get rid of miserable, exhausted, negative staff.
    More consistency with your advice to your agents, rather than changing your mind every 5 seconds.