Humana Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Humana President and CEO Bruce D. Broussard
Bruce D. Broussard

2,129 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Work from home flexibility, amazing leadership (in my team anyway) (in 297 reviews)

• A wonderful health and wellness culture with a great work life balance (in 127 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance that Humana touts is their motto (in 53 reviews)

• The health insurance is very expensive (in 83 reviews)

1. "Program Manager"

I worked at Humana full-time

Pros

Saw this organization make a significant shift from payor to consumer-focused wellbeing organization. Was proud to be a part of that effort as well as seeing leadership step into the unknown. As far as the basics (pay, benefits, 401k match, etc.) one of the better companies I have worked for over my career. Pay was incredibly competitive locally, benefits included health (high deductible with HSA, Dental and Vision), 7.25% 401k match on the first 6% you contributed - a significant match. PTO was ~22-23 days and was very generous.

Also, loved the culture of 'bring your whole self to work'. It didn't matter who or what you were...we accepted all and in the areas I worked, focused on results.

Cons

Growth into senior leadership levels can be limited and the performance review process or ability to be recognized was lacking.

Advice to Management

Hoping that Humana can focus on growing the organization again after the Aetna acquisition fell through. Humana is GOOD for this community, don't let your desire for rewards lesson your desire to win in the marketplace (i.e. don't sellout on the community).

2. "Production Lead"

I have been working at Humana full-time

Pros

tuition reimbursement, Work at Home

Cons

possibly having to work weekends

Advice to Management

n/a

3. "Consultant"

I have been working at Humana full-time

Pros

There is great work balance

Cons

Senior management may provide little transparency

5. "Business Consultant"

I worked at Humana full-time

Pros

great work life balance system

Cons

they claim to be transparent

6. "high level"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Consumer-oriented; enaged in improving health and wellness of associates & consumers

Cons

uncertainty in the marketplace specific to mergers/acquistions

7. "Incredible journey"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You are a number: Make numbers and stay a number. Humana has been good to me and I am grateful.

Cons

You are a number: Make numbers and stay a number. Not terrible being a number and while I am not the warm fuzzy, hug or high-fiving type it can be dehumanizing.

Advice to Management

So many have worked hard to achieve record growth, industry awards and corporate recognition. Management has let down its guard and the environment no longer encourages the effort, identifies inspiration or acknowledges ambition. You are sharp minds and good people that got a little too comfortable with time. Mind the gap.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Director in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great culture including benefits. Agile (remote) work styles are available.

Cons

Health care industry continues to change and the recent changes post the non-merger decision w/ Aetna mean more change.

9. "Claims Adjuster"

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great people.

Cons

Needs better career development avenues.

Advice to Management

Get folks on their chosen career paths to retain them.

10. "Good job"

Current Employee - RPH in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - RPH in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great way to help a significant amount of people, for many there are career choices and paths to take for advancement, very good benefits, as with most jobs you can make this one as good or as bad as your actions and words earn for you

Cons

It is a very big company with all the benefits of that but many of the issues also. The division you are in may be totally dysfunctional. Transfer and find that the next division runs smoothly with a minimum of political infighting. The opposite is also true. My division has weathered its bad spots but keeps coming back to smooth because of the focus on the patient.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus. Do not follow every trend, evaluate and decide if it fits our focus. Do not try to make every division and department the same. They are not doing the same work. It is as foolish as dressing every child in the house in the same clothes. After a certain point it just looks silly and does not work. It would also be nice if there were more career opportunities for pharmacists.

"I have mixed feelings."

Current Employee - Personal Health Coach (PHC)
    Current Employee - Personal Health Coach (PHC)

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been extremely fortunate to have been placed on two teams that are outstanding and supportive. I have also been blessed with two outstanding Coaches and Clinical Operations Managers. I work from home, I can look ugly if I want, the worst part of the commute is a cat in the hallway. When I turn off the computer at the end of the day, work is done and that is wonderful for me. PTO is generous, my coach is flexible in working with me with school, elderly family members and my own health as long as productivity is met. Work/life balance is encouraged. Lots of health and wellness incentives.

Cons

I don't have many cons. But, the worst would be this: about 6 months after I started there was a distinct culture shift from quality to quantity. Upper management can deny it all they want, but that's what it is. Every position on my side of the telephonic business is having their feet held to the fire to meet incredibly high member "connects" every day, week and month. Not only that, there are elements withing those calls that are being measured as well like talk time for the day and referrals to other departments. So, if my talk time is way up and my number of contacts is down, I may have spent too much time on the phone with the members. Or if I reached a high number of members and my talk time was low my quality may come into question and my calls may be scrutinized. So, saying this you are probably thinking that I am working in customer service and need to stop whining, right?? NO! I work with members regarding their health needs, encouraging health goals, answering questions and providing resources if needed. Yeah. The goal for my day would certainly be attainable IF every person I called answered the phone. I have a coworker that made 45 calls to get only 11 successful connects for the day. They all have to be documented too btw. This doesn't include any anomalies in charts that need to be addressed and passed up the chain either.
    I can go on but I won't. Bottom line is quality will fall if quantity continues to be the push. All things cycle. I hope this kidney stone passes soon because it hurts like hades!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your associates on the front line are saying to you!! You're forming committees to inform committees. Then you're hiring quality review folks which will turn into a hit squad because they will only do what you tell them to do and not defend what is happening that is right. Beware because this will bite you on the hind quarters. If your quality review teams do turn into a hit squad, you will have a mass exodus of good people who do excellent work and are tired of fighting for what is good. Healthcare folks are a different breed. We'll give you a good fight to make things better, but once we're done with you.... Have fun with the mess you've created.

Showing 2,129 of 2,216 reviews