Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I had already gone through one phone screen which went very well. I was contacted via email by my recruiter to set up an onsite interview. I was in Seattle, WA for 3 days, 2 nights in a nice hotel not far from HQ in the heart of downtown Seattle. The interview was administered on the second day. It went from 11-4 and included 5 1:1 interviews—including the non-technical, hiring manager interview during lunch. Aside from the lunch interview—which was one hour long—all of the interviews were 45 minutes long. Amazon lives up to the reputation of administering difficult interviews. I was asked design questions, algorithm questions, language-specific knowledge questions, and various other questions.
All in all, I really enjoyed the experience. The people I met were genuine and real. It was obvious that you could simply be yourself at Amazon; from your opinions to your clothing, they not only allow you to be yourself, the demand it.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that takes an integer and counts the number of bits.   3 Answers
  • Design an LRU cache   1 Answer
  • Design and describe the classes you would use when implementing the card game War.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I was offered 90k as an SDE I. I feel that is a very fair salary for the position. My advice is, consider what you are offered; if you feel it is less than what you are worth for the position being offered, then negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2011.

Interview

Took a while to hear back after the referral was submitted. The phone interview went pretty smoothly and it took about a month to hear back and the result was another phone interview. The questions were relatively straightforward and the whole conversation felt pretty relaxed. The only thing I wish is that the process didn't take so long from beginning to end; but it was partially during the holiday season.

Interview Questions

• Remove the nth from last element in a singularly linked list in linear time.   3 Answers
    • Find all pairs of numbers in an array that sum to a given number, n, in linear time   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by an Amazon recruiter after putting my resume up on Dice.com. Within a week a phone interview was scheduled. The phone interview took 45-50 minutes focusing entirely on technical questions. Within a day of the interview I was contacted to arrange a second phone interview. I received the following instructions when I first set up the interview:

This phone interview will be technical in nature and you should be prepared to answer questions related to the following:
    Data Structures
    Algorithms
    Object Oriented Programming and Design (at Amazon we primarily use C++, Java, Perl, Ruby)
    Problem Solving

Interview Questions

• Given two arrays, write a method to find their intersection?   Answer Question
    • What is a hash map? How could you use hash maps to find the intersection between two arrays faster?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2011.

Interview

They sent me an email stating that they would like to set up an interview for the position of Software Development Engineer I. Seemed like they were pretty adiment about interviewing me because this was the second person that tried to interview me over about a month. The phone interview was technical in nature. They asked questions about Data Structures, Algorithms, Object Oriented Programming and Design (at Amazon they primarily use C++, Java, Perl, Ruby), and Problem Solving. The final part of the interview was a coding exercise. The interview in total lasted about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Say you had a dictionary of words. How would you set it up? And what would you do if you needed to search for a word (what type of search)? About how long would it take for you to search for the word using Big O notation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

Three rounds of phone interviews all scheduled through e-mail communication. The interviews were the typical technical questions and nothing out of the ordinary. Wait time between each phone interview and the follow-up was about one to two weeks, and I did not make it to further rounds.

Interview Questions

• You want to keep the largest 1000 integer numbers from incoming pockets containing integers. Please write a program on how to do it.   2 Answers
    • How would you go about designing an university? What classes and methods will it have?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Applied online. Got a technical phone interview the next week. Was flown onsite the week after for a 1:1 battery with 4 people. The questions were really fun and the interviewers try to make you feel comfortable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I talked to a recruiter at a career fair at my school about the position. He asked me a question about linked lists that I thought I had bombed then turned in my resume. A few days later I got an email inviting me to come out to Seattle to interview for the position.

The interview process was pretty typical. It consisted of four 45 minute interviews with four employees from a variety of different departments. The interviewers were all very approachable and made me feel comfortable throughout the process. The interviews began with a few personal questions designed to get a feel for your goals and expectations, followed by a few short answer questions about a variety of computer science topics, and then one (or more if you finish quickly) coding exercise done on a whiteboard. The questions varied in difficulty, but nothing was impossible. It was my impression that the answer is not as important as your ability to communicate your thought process to them while you're working. I got this feeling from all other places I interviewed, so it is probably a good thing to practice for an interview. You have to be able to convey your thoughts to another person in any job.

I heard within three days that they wanted to offer me a full time position for after graduation. The offer seemed very generous, though I don't have much to compare it to. They had another event a few weeks later where they flew out everybody that had an offer from them. They introduced us to several departments and gave us a pretty good feel for what it would be like to work there. They also gave us an extra night's stay in the city to explore the city. Overall, I think they did a great job of selling themselves.

Interview Questions

• Find the largest branch in a tree that is itself a binary search tree   Answer Question

In the end, I decided that I did not want to end up at a large company like that right after graduation. I have more entrepreneurial-minded interests, so a smaller start-up was a better fit for me.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2011.

Interview

My thesis professor told me that one of his former students was reaching out for potential interviewees. After announcing my interest and his recommendation, I was contacted for a series of in-person interviews at a hotel in NYC. I prepared using this site so I highly recommend you do that same to get a feel for the questions that are asked.
    The first day I had one interview. It consisted of introducing myself, discussing my resume, and writing a little bit of code. I was then asked to come back the next day for 3 more interviews which were more technical.

Interview Questions

• Describe a heap and write code for an insert.   Answer Question
    • Discuss finding the most efficient route in terms of cost and time for moving products through warehouses to customers. Explain algorithm complexity.   2 Answers
    • Given sample code and asked to determine what it was supposed to do. Then asked to point out everything wrong with it.   Answer Question
    • Given the tax ids and phone numbers of everyone in NYC, go and get their email addresses. Now what would you change if we expand to NY state? The US?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2011.

Interview

Questions about my background and Project. First phone interview is finished and waiting for second phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Design an algorithm to find out if an array has a pair of integers summing to some number X.   2 Answers
    • Complexity of this algorithm. How to improve the complexity?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2011.

Interview

Applied through employee referral. Got email from HR recruiter. Two phone screens which were fairly easy and then five onsite interviews; hard enough to sweat. Questions were focused on algorithms. Prepare everything: career cup, PIE. Don't really know what they expect.
    Phone screen 1:
    Basics of data structures like stacks, queues, hash tables.
    Code: check whether a given string is palindrome or not.
    Follow up: Find all substrings in a string that are palindromic.
    Phone screen 2:
    concepts of operating systems: deadlock, threads v processes
    Code: A number between [0-N] is missing in an array of [0-N-1]. Find the missing number.
    Design: Poker game.

Interview Questions

• Given a log file containing (User_Id, URL, Timestamp) user can navigate page from one to the other. Find the three page subset sequence repeated maximum number of times. Records are sorted by Timestamp.   1 Answer
    • Bar raiser
      Given a NumberPool containing number sequence of numbers from 1 to infinity. Implement an interface, essentially two functions-
      checkin(N): which adds number to the number pool and makes it available.
      checkout(): returns minimum number from the pool and makes it unavailable.   1 Answer
    • Bar raiser
      1. Given array of numbers, find a, b, c such that a + b = c. Can you beat O(N**2) ?
      2. Difference between Quick sort and Merge sort. What modifications you make in Quick sort so that it provides O(N lg N) worst case complexity.   2 Answers
    • Given a set of numbers, partition the set in to two, such that sum of all the candidates in first subset = sum of all the candidate numbers in second subset.   2 Answers
    • Given a acyclic graph, find out its root; that is point where all the nodes converge.
      eg. G(V, E) = {(A->B), (B->C), (D->C)} C should be the root.   1 Answer