Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Amazon (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

Rejected- Debugging OA, Coding OA, Virtual interviews

Interview Questions

• I was asked three coding question e.g. To search for a key in an array of unknown length, postorder traversal (not recursion, iteration). Was asked loads of behavioral questions based on Amazon's leadership principles. The questions were not very difficult and the interviewers tried to be helpful. Got rejected. This was my first interview and I was nervous.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in July 2019.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Two online assessments, after you pass those then 3 Skype interviews back to back. No on site for me. Took a little bit of time to get the first interview, after that everything went by pretty fast.

Interview Questions

• Data structures. Design large int class, a Trie and a recursion problem.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Mix of online assessments and phone screenings that covered both technical and soft skills. Was for a new grad position, so questions seemed pretty normal/standard for cs interviews. Nothing too difficult, just be comfortable with standard data structures + traversal algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked on a project for the sake of learning.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer -I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Long Beach, CA) in May 2019.

Interview

First there were two online assessments. After that 3 interviews 45-50 min each back to back . Where they asked coding problems and few behavioral questions. The behavioral questions tested me over the 14 principles Amazon stood for. I could do behavioral and coding well , but for one question I took more time to code than was allocated. So maybe that's what resulted in the rejection.

The online assessments will be like the leetcode problems you solve. There are 2 coding problems which should be solved in 90 min

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in February 2019.

Interview

Virtual Interview after online assessment(programming assessment). They asked me about the question I did in assessment. First thing, he asked me to explain how I did the question and then asked what are the time complexities and space complexities then asked me if we can improve the time and space alternatively ( like improving time by using more space or decreasing space and compromising on time.) He did the same for both questions. That's all technical. Then asked some behavioural questions. The interviewer is cool and calm.

Interview Questions

• Largest palindromic substring in the given string.
      Nearest k points to origin in a given set of n co-ordinates given n>=k   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Diego, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

As others said here, basic coding/aptitude test. Anyone who has basic cs skills won't find this difficult. Then online test 2 was 90 minute work simulation and 90 minute coding challenge (3 hours total). Leetcode medium level problems, the work simulation wasn't too hard but requires pretty deep thought and reasoning. Final round virtual interview: behavorial, went over 2 coding problems around leetcode medium level, and asked me about coding concepts. Last 5 minutes I asked questions. Waiting to hear back now

Interview Questions

• explain dynamic programming, how can you apply it to problems you just solved   Answer Question
    • favorite amazon product and why   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I was sent an online assessment consisting of debugging and random logic questions. I passed that and was then sent another online assessment that consisted of a work simulation and coding assessment. I was contacted by a recruiter on oct 3 to schedule an onsite interview in seattle. They sent me a list of dates that were 3 weeks later. I scheduled my onsite, and was sent my flight and hotel info a week before the interview. A couple days before my interview, the recruiter called me to tell me Amazon met their hiring quota, and that I would not continue interviewing.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Interview

I applied to a couple of jobs on amazon.jobs. After a few weeks an automated university recruiter contacted me with a short IQ like test and debugging. After that I was sent another test that was simulating a day at amazon and has 2 code challenge questions. After 2 weeks they contacted me for an onsite interview. They flew me to Seattle and then I had 3 55 minute interviews back to back. Each one started with a STAR question then led to a CTCI like question. Didn't think it went to well but after a week they sent me an offer.

Negotiation

Not room to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I am a recent graduate so I went through their new graduate interview process. There's two rounds of online interviews that include pattern recognition questions, simple/intermediate algorithm problems, and this bizarre work simulation. If you pass those, you get invited to Seattle for a group interview day with about forty other people split between two rooms. The recruiters seemed very disorganized and rescheduled my on-site interview two days before it was supposed to happen after I had sent multiple emails requesting flight information and what not. As for the interview... It was honestly the most antisocial interview process I've ever heard of or experienced. Before arriving for the interview that day, I had not spoken to anyone in person, and then during the day I had two short interviews with two people each for about five minutes each. My first of these interviews was with someone whose English was not great which was a significant communication barrier. The rest of the day you are on a computer trying to fill in some methods in a decent sized code base that you need to learn quickly. It seemed that they do not care at all about your personality or anything other than whether you can code at a high volume under intense pressure. It was bizarre and I'm not sure I'd want to work at a place that puts so little value on personability and the infamous 'would you want to work with this person?' question. I can't imagine it's a place where you're itching to go out with your coworkers after work or anxiously awaiting to the holiday party... My advice if you want this job: don't waste a second on behavioral questions or 'Why do you want to work at Amazon?' sort of questions. They don't care about that apparently. Practice learning code bases quickly by drawing maps or whatever works for you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

2 Online Assessment, people say there should be a phone interview after this. But I got invited to the onsite after the 2 assessments. Flew me down to Seattle, paid for my hotel and reimbursed food and transportation. On-Site lasted about 5 hours. 1 hour for each interview. 1 behavioral question and 1 technical question or 2 technical questions based on speed. Relatively easy questions nothing like the Cracking the Code interview types. You are interviewing with 5 other people so if you don't get the job don't feel bad. I didn't.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, I think it's valid for only six months after expiry I'll come and update this   2 Answers