Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 30, 2017

3.2

353 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Interview

I applied to a couple of jobs on amazon.jobs. After a few weeks an automated university recruiter contacted me with a short IQ like test and debugging. After that I was sent another test that was simulating a day at amazon and has 2 code challenge questions. After 2 weeks they contacted me for an onsite interview. They flew me to Seattle and then I had 3 55 minute interviews back to back. Each one started with a STAR question then led to a CTCI like question. Didn't think it went to well but after a week they sent me an offer.

Negotiation

Not room to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I am a recent graduate so I went through their new graduate interview process. There's two rounds of online interviews that include pattern recognition questions, simple/intermediate algorithm problems, and this bizarre work simulation. If you pass those, you get invited to Seattle for a group interview day with about forty other people split between two rooms. The recruiters seemed very disorganized and rescheduled my on-site interview two days before it was supposed to happen after I had sent multiple emails requesting flight information and what not. As for the interview... It was honestly the most antisocial interview process I've ever heard of or experienced. Before arriving for the interview that day, I had not spoken to anyone in person, and then during the day I had two short interviews with two people each for about five minutes each. My first of these interviews was with someone whose English was not great which was a significant communication barrier. The rest of the day you are on a computer trying to fill in some methods in a decent sized code base that you need to learn quickly. It seemed that they do not care at all about your personality or anything other than whether you can code at a high volume under intense pressure. It was bizarre and I'm not sure I'd want to work at a place that puts so little value on personability and the infamous 'would you want to work with this person?' question. I can't imagine it's a place where you're itching to go out with your coworkers after work or anxiously awaiting to the holiday party... My advice if you want this job: don't waste a second on behavioral questions or 'Why do you want to work at Amazon?' sort of questions. They don't care about that apparently. Practice learning code bases quickly by drawing maps or whatever works for you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

2 Online Assessment, people say there should be a phone interview after this. But I got invited to the onsite after the 2 assessments. Flew me down to Seattle, paid for my hotel and reimbursed food and transportation. On-Site lasted about 5 hours. 1 hour for each interview. 1 behavioral question and 1 technical question or 2 technical questions based on speed. Relatively easy questions nothing like the Cracking the Code interview types. You are interviewing with 5 other people so if you don't get the job don't feel bad. I didn't.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, I think it's valid for only six months after expiry I'll come and update this   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I completed two online assessments in December 2016, but I didn't hear back until March. I went to an on-site interview in Seattle in March.

The on-site was actually really easy, it was 30 minutes of explaining my code from the online assessments. The first online assessment was very easy with 7 debugging questions and some logic questions, and the second one was a work simulation and then 3 medium level programming questions. I didn't get all three questions right, but still got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Given a linked list, where every node has an arbitrary pointer that points to any node on the list, write a function to create a copy of it.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Starts with an online debug and code challenge. A couple weeks later I got another online work simulation and code challenge. Finally got an email to come in for a in person interview which would be a group assessment.

3 stages in all and got an offer a week after the group assessment.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

The process started out with an online assessment that consisted of debugging and logic questions. After completing that, I was sent another online assessment.

The second assessment consisted of a long workplace simulation, and 3 programming questions. A few days after completing that, I was invited on site for a group assessment.

The group assessment was an all day programming challenge, with an interview in the middle, and another one at the end. We were told we would hear back in 5 business days.

Pretty quickly we were told there were scheduling delays and we would not hear back in the original time frame, and there was no estimate.

Periodically updated while waiting, but it ended up taking several weeks to hear back. Heard back with an offer, and a recruiter called me to discuss next steps and answer any questions.

Application

Interview

Attended the group assessment at the Seattle office on Feb 8th and still waiting for my result while the recruiter promised us the results in 5 business days. But the worst part of this interview experience is that I didnt get to talk to a recruiter till now except for some email communications from an anonymous email ID and some system generated responses. Its very frustrating and I didnt expect this from a company like Amazon. I have emailed the recruiter (via that anonymous email ID) multiple times and still the recruiter is not ready to even give a ball park on the estimated date of results.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I have applied to Amazon with an employee referral. First step is pretty easy 7 debugging questions, and 24 logical questions. Second part is work simulation and 3 coding questions. First 2 coding questions are easier than third question. You should manage the time very well for coding questions. I am still waiting for next steps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

it was horrible. the interviewer (also engineer) can not under stand my algorithm and said something wrong about the algorithm although after discussion with my fellow coworkers I am sure I am correct. I do not know how he slipped into Amazon or Amazon favor such people. also, he impatiently mentioned there was limited time left as if I am wasting his time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

7 debugging questions, then puzzles and maths problems. hackerrank- 4 algorithms questions, onsite- algorithms. Recruiter was not at all helpful and did not let me know of the outcome of the onsite interview . until after a month. Though Amazon's regular SLA is 5 days for feedback to interviewers, my recruiter did not get back to me in 30 days. After more than a month I was handed a rejection without any proper feedback or justification.

Interview Questions

• LRU, Topological sort, K closest points   1 Answer