Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Attended the group assessment at the Seattle office on Feb 8th and still waiting for my result while the recruiter promised us the results in 5 business days. But the worst part of this interview experience is that I didnt get to talk to a recruiter till now except for some email communications from an anonymous email ID and some system generated responses. Its very frustrating and I didnt expect this from a company like Amazon. I have emailed the recruiter (via that anonymous email ID) multiple times and still the recruiter is not ready to even give a ball park on the estimated date of results.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I have applied to Amazon with an employee referral. First step is pretty easy 7 debugging questions, and 24 logical questions. Second part is work simulation and 3 coding questions. First 2 coding questions are easier than third question. You should manage the time very well for coding questions. I am still waiting for next steps.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied online and got coding interview. First was debugging and reasoning and second was 3 hour culture fit and programming test. Got an on-site interview after and we had a group assessment.
    They reimburse everything and recruiters and interviewers were all friendly

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

it was horrible. the interviewer (also engineer) can not under stand my algorithm and said something wrong about the algorithm although after discussion with my fellow coworkers I am sure I am correct. I do not know how he slipped into Amazon or Amazon favor such people. also, he impatiently mentioned there was limited time left as if I am wasting his time.

Interview Questions

• simple java question. quick sort, comparator and so on   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I was given 1 hour written test in which 2 sections consisted 1 of debugging and 1 of reasoning.Each had timing of 21 min and 35 min consecutively.In each section you should have to be careful regarding time management keep an eye on timer as each question does not requires much of your time.

Interview Questions

• Debugging section consists of basic algorithm and data structures while analytical sections consists of analogy based questions.   6 Answers

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Amazon in November 2016.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me on Linkedin and asked me to take an online test within 24 hours, at 10pm in the night! I replied back saying I was busy and could take it over the weekend. She agreed. The online test (coding + behavioral) was nothing like most of the other reviews here on Glassdoor say. I feel it was a little more difficult than just debugging and basic coding questions.

The online test also had a 15 min behavioral assessment. Easy, nothing hard.

I felt the coding test (60 min) was difficult as I was not prepared for answering BFS, Recursion based questions in the coding test itself. Lacked practice.

Out of the two questions in the coding test, here are some of the possible outcomes of the online coding test:

1. Direct Onsite Round: Pass all of the test cases on both the questions of online test.
    2. Phone Screen: Pass few of the test cases on both the questions of the online test.
    3. Failed: Fail one question.

The phone screen was behavioral, explaining my online coding test answers and a simple modified binary search question (but in a complex scenario), all in 60 mins. Got rejected after this.

Will try again in 6 months! Hope this review helps atleast some of you.

Interview Questions

• Find the indices of all anagrams of a given word in a another word. For example: Find the indices of all the anagrams of AB in ABCDBACDAB (Answer: 0, 4, 8)   3 Answers
    • In a maze (2x2 matrix) filled with 0's and 1's. 0 is the floor and 1 is the wall. Find the shortest path to go from (0,0) to (x,y)   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Interview was a three stage process. First, a basic debugging test. Then a more in-depth coding test. Finally, an interview with an actual person to verify that you are indeed a personable person. The entire process was done remotely.

Interview Questions

• Non-disclosure, but I was asked standard coding questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Within a week of applying, I was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a phone screen. It was scheduled about two weeks after I had responded with my availability. I was contacted by the recruiter about one week later and we arranged the onsite to be about a month later. I was interviewed by 6 people, including lunch (which I also considered to be an interview). I was asked behavioral questions by all of the interviewers, and 4 interviews involved whiteboard problem

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Interesting. No phone screen, flew out to Seattle, nice hotel, within walking distance of space needle and HQ. Interview is not your standard Q/A over algorithms. You do a project, and answer questions about that project. I liked it, it felt like a better assessment of my ability to code in an enterprise environment. Give yourself time to explore Seattle -- it's beautiful. Also worth pointing out, I didn't see any evidence of extremely difficult working conditions -- in fact, their campus is one of the coolest places I've been to -- but it's something to be wary of before you apply. Read all the reviews on Glassdoor.

Interview Questions

• Can't talk too much about it, but it's all about extending, modifying, and implementing a core library that they give you.   Answer Question
    • If you had more time, what would you do to continue the project?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineering I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through internal referral. Then two online test. One is about reasoning and logical problems. Another is about work simulation and code test. Now I'm waiting the next step of interview.