Amazon Technical Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Technical Project Manager

Amazon Technical Project Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2017
25 Interview Reviews

Experience

Experience
39%
35%
26%

Getting an Interview

Getting an Interview
40%
26%
17%
9
4
4

Difficulty

3.5
Average

Difficulty

Hard
Average
Easy

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Filter

Sort: PopularDateDifficulty

Filter

Sort: PopularDateDifficulty

 

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
No Offer
Positive Experience
Difficult Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I found the position online and asked an Amazon employee to refer me. I learned that you should not apply to the position before an Amazon employee refers you. The Amazon employee has to refer you first. Interestingly, you don't need to apply for the position if you already have a profile in their career site. If you need to update any information, then simply update your profile. There's no need or option to update your details for specific job applications.

My first interview was a one-hour technical phone screen from a software engineer. For the first 45-50 minutes, they asked me various technical questions, some of which I fumbled. None of the technical questions involved coding.

To my surprise, I got a second interview! My second interview was a one-hour cultural fit phone screen from the hiring manager. For the first 45-50 minutes, they explained the background of the company and the department, centered around the Amazon Leadership Principles. They asked me a minor questions, they structured this second phone screen as more of a conversation than an interview. Nonetheless, it is a wise professional decision to treat every conversation as an interview.

My third interview was an on-site interview. It lasted about 5.5 hours, including a 1.25-hour lunch with a lunch buddy that works in the department I interviewed for. The on-site interviews are structured as five 45-minute interviews with one interviewer per interview. Two of my interviews were technical 30% of the time and behavioral or hypothetical the remaining 70% of the time. My other three interviews were behavioral or hypothetical the entire time.

All interviews were structured with the interviewer asking me questions for the first 75% of the time and then me asking them questions for the remaining 25% of the time.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

  1.  

    Technical Project Manager Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate
    No Offer
    Negative Experience
    Average Interview

    Application

    I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

    Interview

    The interview process was a very poor experience. I had two rounds of interviews, and then never heard back from Amazon. On my 2nd interview I was stood up as the interviewer forgot and had to reschedule. The whole process was unprofessional and a big red flag to avoid this company.

    Interview Questions

    • A lot of tell me about a time questions so be prepared for those type of interview questions. Make sure you are prepared as each interview is 1 hour.   1 Answer

  2.  

    Technical Project Manager Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    No Offer
    Negative Experience
    Average Interview

    Application

    I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

    Interview

    Was approached by several different recruiters for a couple of Tech PM positions. Phone interviews went fine then amazon went dark for several weeks before giving any feedback. What struck me was that the interviewer literally stood me up on our initial phone screen then several days later rescheduled the interview to be when he was driving home from work. I felt like an after thought and though I did well on the interview, it doesn't surprise me that things did not go further.

    Interview Questions

  3.  

    Technical Project Manager Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    No Offer
    Positive Experience
    Average Interview

    Application

    I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2014.

    Interview

    Amazon Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn. Had an initial phone conversation with recruiter to go over the position description. A week or so later got a technical phone interview with a manager. The interview went well, however didn't get the position because I lacked experience.

    Interview Questions


  4.  

    Technical Project Manager Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    No Offer

    Application

    I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

    Interview

    1 phone interview with hiring manager then in person with 5 people


  5. Helpful (3)  

    Technical Project Manager Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    No Offer
    Positive Experience
    Easy Interview

    Application

    I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2013.

    Interview

    I was first contacted by HR to check my interest in role. Then I had first round of phone interview with the hiring manager, followed by another round of phone screen with someone from outside the immediate team.

    Most of the questions were related to project management, such as how did you handle risk, motivate resources who don't report toyou, handle conflicting priorities and handle scope creep. Try and answer with real time experiences you've had and telling a small story

    Interview Questions

    • one interviewer at onsite was a bit rude and kept assuming that all organizations work like Amazon and was not able to understand why I did what i did in teh financial sector. I did not push too hard back at him; however, if i were to repeat, i would have told him that his vision is limited.   Answer Question

  6. Helpful (12)  

    Technical Project Manager Interview

    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Accepted Offer
    Positive Experience
    Difficult Interview

    Application

    I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in April 2013.

    Interview

    Recruiter found my resume on Linkedin and approached to arrange for an interview for TPM position. I had an initial phone screen with the interviewer and 2 phone screens. The phone screens were mainly based on my resume. There were a few cases of analytical questions around estimating the time taken for page load.

    Interview Questions

    • How do you determine page load times of all pages across amazon.com?   Answer Question

    Negotiation

    I was originally offered $10k signon bonus and $120k salary. I negotiated signon bonus to $45k and salary of $135k.


  7.  

    Technical Project Manager Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA
    No Offer
    Negative Experience
    Difficult Interview

    Application

    I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Virginia Beach, VA) in April 2013.

    Interview

    Applied thru a referral and got an interview request the very next day. Setup an interview a week later. First round of interview was over phone, supposed to be 1 hour long but the interviewer seemed to be in a hurry and ended the call in 30 min. Be prepared to answer questions on coding oops/C++, technical product you build from scratch, data structures and networking

    Interview Questions

    • Why Amazon, design an algorithm to rearrange numbers in a sequency, time complexity of the algorithm   Answer Question
  8.  

    Technical Project Manager Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate
    No Offer
    Neutral Experience
    Difficult Interview

    Application

    I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amazon in April 2013.

    Interview

    I applied online and they called the next day to setup an interview. The interviewer spoke quickly, had an accent, and seemed a little taken back that I hadn't been in a pure technical job in several years.

    Interview Questions


  9.  

    Technical Project Manager Interview

    Anonymous Interview Candidate
    No Offer

    Application

    I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

    Interview

    Same set of behavioral questions repeated by various individuals

    Interview Questions


Don't Miss Out On a Job You Love
Upload a resume to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.