Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 29, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA).

Interview

I was initially approached through an employee reference. That was followed by an initial phone screening. A take home programming test was given. That test I expect is a test that changes based on what position you are applying for. Once the test was handed in, I was brought in for an on-site interview.

The On-Site interview was a full day interview process. It was mostly made up of 1 hour sessions with 2 or more people in which they ask you about your qualifications and any questions that are relevant for them. These sessions included technical interview portions as well as "fit" portions to ensure that you fit the mold of the Blizzard culture.

There was about a 1 week delay for each phase of the interview, after the initial phone screening.

Interview Questions

• When was there a time in which you had to "defend" the approach you wanted to take in order to implement a feature?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

First off, I am a huge fan of Blizzard franchises and I really wanted to work for them. But honestly, I am quite disappointed after the interview process (not because I didn't get an offer), it was the worst interview experience I have so far. Blizzard's interview process made me feel very unwelcome compared to other big companies that I applied to. It took almost a month between each stage in the interview process. The recruiter's communication was terrible. They act as if they don't value your talent. I almost decided not to go for the on-site interview just because of the lousy recruiter, but in the end I still went there just because I wanted to visit Blizzard's headquarter. The onsite interview questions were reasonable, not easy, not hard. You should be able to do them if you have been practicing the questions in these famous interview prep books. Almost a month later, I received an automatic rejection email, sent by a Blizzard's mail bot. Maybe my required salary was too high for an Associate position, maybe they found someone else better, maybe both, I will never know. But the worst thing is that the recruiter didn't even have enough courtesy to write me a proper rejection email, it was just an email sent by Blizzard's mail bot with even incorrect content - it says that I am rejected after the phone interview stage(?) - which made me wonder if that email was some kind of mistake, but I don't even care to find out anymore. I still wrote the recruiter a proper "thank you" email just to be respectful but he didn't even bother replying to that one either. So overall, super disappointing interview process, very bad recruiters, and lousy salary. Blizzard has some great minds that have been creating super awesome games and getting a job there is definitely a wonderful thing, but they should put more attention to the quality of their recruiters or else more people will be driven away from them like me, especially when they only pay below average salary.

Interview Questions

• Normal questions that you often see in the interview prep books. Not easy, not hard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Got an phone interview with four people, and had done a take home challenge. The onsite was generally good. All interviewers were friendly. Before entering the real person interview, I was asked to complete a code challenge in a small room, which they told me I did quite well. They didn't really ask me to code, just conversation about what I have done and my experiences. Some of them said they were impressed by my ability of front end. The feedback I got was they think I am too junior, and seems to have more interest in other field rather than the position. I think it is just a way to turn me down because according to other interviewers said, the ability in that field is what they are looking for, and it's a big plus. I have no idea why did they have the idea "I am too junior" since I answered all the questions well and didn't screw it up. Plus, it's "Associate Software Engineer". But I wasn't sad that much, the pay in Irvine is ridiculous. The recruiter is good by the way, always got me updated after every interview.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in February 2015.

Interview

applied.on website. contacted by hr about 4 weeks later. set up first phone interview, should be with.two engineers, but only one. 30min, some technical q. more.about my resume, expericence,and project. Still.waiting for the.result.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process began with an on campus group interview, then had two phone interviews, and culminated in an in person technical interview on the Blizzard campus. Overall it was a pleasant experience, though one of the phone interviews was somewhat unpleasant (the manager I was speaking to was just somewhat awkward and it made the interview seem difficult). There were far fewer technical questions than I thought there would be, and they focused instead on what seemed to me to be "culture" questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

First was sent a relatively simple, but substantial, coding challenge, and after my code was evaluated by the team I was asked to come in for an on site. The on site was all day, and consisted of working with another interviewing candidate (for a different position) and one of the team's engineers on a simple networked game. Was a lot of fun, though I had some small problems given that my paired partner was significantly older and more experienced than myself, and it made the interaction somewhat difficult for me.

A brief one on one with the team manager about my interest in the role, etc. concluded the day. It was mostly about culture fit, etc.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in March 2016.

Interview

Two weeks after applying online, a recruiter emailed me asking to schedule a phone screen. The phone screen lasted about 10 minutes, and he asked me for my desired salary up front. The phone interview was scheduled three days from that point. I messed up the interview horribly, and sure enough two days later I got the email, "You are encouraged to apply again in the not too distant future", which was nice.

P.S. You know those "Questions to ask your interviewer" articles? My interviewer literally said, "Wow that's a really generic question". I'm never asking those again. Either ask a good question or don't ask any at all.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

I applied a few months ago for the position through their careers site. But recently added a recruiter on LinkedIn and was contacted within the week. There was an initial call to let me know of my candidacy, and they would like for me to complete a programming task. I heard back a week later about the results of my submission, and they asked to have an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding algorithms, data structures, and knowledge based.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

If you get a chance to go to the on-site interview, be prepared to have fun! Everyone is super nice and relaxed, so just focus on being yourself and everything will be great on that front.

Make sure to study everything on the job requirements list, and feel comfortable talking about it. I was already familiar with some of the tech stack for the job, but I am the type to almost overstudy before a test, so I think it's worth it to go over details before going in. However, I felt like the people interviewing me really wanted me to do well and that helped to calm me down and focus on answering questions.

Blizzard places a lot of weight on culture fit, so make sure that you really want to be there (and trust me, if you are into their games/ gaming culture, you do want to be there lol). They do ask some culture questions, so it helps if you can be sincere.

Even if I didn't get an offer, I still felt like overall it was a great experience! Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Blizzard?   1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

After the initial phone interview I was given an example coding challenge. That's as far as I got in the process but I was told that, if successful, an on-site interview would have followed

Interview Questions

• Phone: what's the difference between a class and interface   Answer Question
    • challenge: write a java web server that can handle simple servlet requests using only the core java io libraries   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

Out of many companies that I have interviewed with in my life, this company in particular has quite a disorganized and horrible method of hiring people. It seems that they have an added step before a phone interview and in-person interview come into the picture. Nothing too unfair so far. It gets interesting...

For the positions that I got considered for in this company, they sent me an "email test". One is supposed to complete the email test which may consist of (in my experience): Coding (technical) question and several Gaming questions. There may be more than one coding problems and don't assume that this will be done in an hour or so. Coding question (atleast in my case), were either more than 1, or required many hours of development time. You may or may not be timed for completing this test. Catch is that you don't know what they're looking for exactly in the gaming and technical questions. So your answers are just your best effort with a great approximation. It is not like a phone or in-person interview where you can go back and forth until have you have the complete understanding of the question. They just won't speak with you until you have passed this test. After spending hours and hours of development time, you may be told the standard answer "After a "careful review", we have decided to consider other candidates, blah blah". I must beware you: I have seen the cases where a developer spent several days to get everything perfect, sent the test and within a few minutes or barely an hour, received a standard rejection email. Makes one wonder, what was missing there in that idiot test. Several hours/days of your life gone, before you even speak with a person about your job, what the job type is, what the responsibilities are, what work does team do etc etc etc.

After you have passed this obscure test by making the right guesses about what they've been looking for, you will be asked to provide a time for a phone interview. Questions here may depend on your position type and your luck. I am not going to reveal the questions.

If you have somehow managed to pass this round too, now will come the fun part. You will be told to fill out an employment form and a permission to do background check (even before you are hired and before you have gone for a 1:1 interview). You will be asked to provide an EXACT EXPECTED SALARY. Not expected range, not any other answer. An integer value which is meant to work against you. You will be kept completely in dark about what they offer (not even a range), what the job responsibilities are, you have not even met the team, you are not even told in some cases if the job position is basic, mid level or senior because the position that they may hire you for, may change based on your skills. You are given not even a hint beside what you already know....."Go look up online and provide me with a number". If you confront this by saying that you don't know anything about the position yet, you don't even know if there is a mutual fit or not and thus you would like to wait till there is a mutual fit, then you are bluntly told that if you can't provide with a number, they will terminate your hiring process right there and then. That is a BIG BIG sign of a type of company that you shouldn't consider (unless you're in a dire need of a job and will settle for anything). Technically, salary discussion does not even matter until a later stage because what if you're not hired after an in-person interview, what if you don't like the team, what if you don't like how the team is working or the person who will be your lead/your manager etc etc. A good company that cares most about a candidate (in my experience), never forces them to provide with an expected salary. But, this company requires an expected salary number with a threat to end the interview process immediately if not done so. So basically, no idea about the position title, no idea about the salary range because of that and no information from their end about a wide range either. Let us say, you're a nice one and you provide with a number, you're playing pretty much a game of Russian roulette. If you GUESSED the number that they like (or in their words, that they can afford), you're good. This just means that you have compromised your negotiating position. If you guessed a number that they don't like, you're done. No second chances, no discussion in general. Just standard email. Don't forget, this is all after you have spent hours and hours of development time in their email test, then prepared for a phone interview and interviewed with them on phone.

I personally know that I will stay away from this sub-standard company. I personally would rate their interview process as incredible horrible for the amount of money that they make . It will be a sheer luck if they pay you well in progression of your career.

Interview Questions

• Their phone interview may contain any type of questions, technical or non technical. It will definitely include gaming questions, especially Blizzard games.   Answer Question