Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions

Updated Jan 16, 2018

2.9

Software Engineer, Automation Interview

Interview

My resume was scanned by a machine. The company sent me a rejection letter within 5 minutes after submitting my application. I don't think they even read my cover letter, which was required to apply. I get that there is an overwhelming number of applicants but can't they at least take the time to read the cover letter?

Interview Questions

• Why did you want to join Blizzard? Please tell us a game that you are playing right now.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

Submitted an application (just the resume and LinkedIn profile), got contacted via email to schedule an Initial phone interview with the company recruiter. The recruiter was super punctual and called right on time, was very relaxed and professional. Questions were about my current responsibilities, what I do at my job, familiarity with several technologies. Very easy.

The interview was just today; the next step will likely be another phone interview, perhaps with the IT team, likely with more pointed questions looking to gauge my proficiency levels. No offer expected at this point - it will likely be at least a week or three - if not until after holidays.

Interview Questions

• What do you do at your current job?   1 Answer
    • Have you heard about us?   1 Answer
    • Are you involved with managing and monitoring servers at your current job?   1 Answer
    • Are you familiar with Active Directory?   1 Answer
    • Do you do any scripting?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions for me / us?   1 Answer
    • How is your availability next week for another interview?   1 Answer
    • What compensation are you looking for?   1 Answer
    • Would you require (visa) sponsorship to accept an offer?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

My interview was in four parts: HR screen, technical phone, coding phone, on-site.

The HR screen was just a quick discussion about the role and how your experience might apply to it.

The technical phone interview consisted of two senior data scientists asking a case study question and how I would approach it. They asked many follow-up questions about my chosen approach and algorithm (to give you an idea of the depth, I eventually had to explain how feature importances in tree-based ensemble models are calculated).

The next part was a coding phone interview done on codeshare. Two more senior data scientists asked me to write a simple distance metric and then a common machine learning algorithm that utilized it. I had my choice of R or Python, and they asked me not to use any packages (actually, they took exception to my usage of even some base R functions). They then asked me to calculate the time complexity of my algorithm (I was asked to do this many times throughout the course of my interview process).

Next was the on-site. This consisted of a technical interview (basically the in-person equivalent of the technical phone), a whiteboard coding interview (basically the in-person equivalent of the coding phone), "lunch" with two hiring managers (basically an eating interview), a tour of the campus, and a final interview with a high-level manager. This process for me took a little over five hours.

My general impressions of the company were:
    1. Everyone there seemed very smart and capable, and for the most part were enjoyable to interview with. Every data scientist I interviewed with had a PhD. You can tell you'd learn a ton there in any technical role.
    2. How committed you are to gaming is very important to them. I am not a gamer, and practically everyone I interviewed with seemed confused about why I would want to work there given that that was the case (and relatively unconvinced with my non-"because I love blizzard games" reasons), so this continually generated awkward moments and seemed to generally play negatively against me. If you are not a gamer, it's not likely the culture will fit you very well. Expect everyone you talk to to ask you about your gaming history.

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Austin, TX).

Interview

Easy interview. Nice people. Only really asked a question or two. They were trying to figure out if I was a geek like them, and if I could explain a simple to follow process.

Interview Questions

• How do - YOU - make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?   1 Answer

ESports Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in November 2017.

Interview

Quick, Easy, mostly looking for more information on my past experiences, what made me fit for the job. Mostly general things, basic asking salary expectation, outlining offers and other stuff.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Submitted application online, all but forgot about it until a Blizzard recruiter called 2 or 3 months later to schedule a phone interview. He and I spoke about the position, and at the end he said he wanted to set up a tech screening video call with the hiring manager.

The video call was held about a week later, and the techs asked me about my familiarity with various technologies as well as how I would respond in different scenarios. That call went well, and about 2 weeks later Blizzard flew me out for face-to-face interviews (2 weeks due to my schedule - they would've had me out sooner if they could've).

The in-person interviews was over about 4 hours and we're a series of meetings with 2 or 3 people from different parts is the team. Lunch was included, so that was nice. My last meeting was with the management for the team.

I flew home the next day, and when I landed I had a voicemail from the Blizzard recruiter that he wanted to talk to me. We spoke the next day, and he told me the the company wanted to make me an offer. We discussed points of interest to me (salary, benefits, relocation, etc), and he said he'd get back to be with a formal offer. 2 days later the recruiter and a senior member of HR called to extend their formal offer.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

I had six interviews in two days. Each interview had 3 people. Each interview was dedicated to a different thing. I don't remember them all, but some if them were: job skills (the tech artists grilled me on tech art job skills stuff), learn and grow (my disposition towards growth and learning), team culture fit, and more.

There was a scripting take home test and I had 2 weeks to do it.

Interview Questions

• You support two art groups. Group A wants a tool where the button is green, and group B wants it Red. What do you do, and how?   1 Answer

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA).

Interview

A phone screening, followed by a take home test, a second phone screening, and then an on-site interview and programming test. The response after each phase was very quick, taking one week at the most. Everyone I spoke with was very friendly and seemed passionate about their work, they frequently asked me personality questions to determine my fit with company culture, and these frequently resulted in us joking around and having fun. We did go over on time more than once, but the team is so friendly and knowledgeable that the time really flew by.

The first phone screening was very easy, they asked very basic questions about data structures, and it seemed mostly a dummy test to see if I was competent enough to receive a programming test. Things got more interesting when they unexpectedly asked me game design questions, which in hindsight made sense as the position would have required a great deal of interaction with the design team.

The programming test was a little tricky -- nothing unreasonable, but none of the questions were simple implementations I could just look up on stackoverflow. The second phone screen was mostly to talk about my programming test, going into detail about my decisions. After that, I was offered an on-site interview

The on-site interview started with an hour-long programming test, followed by an hour-long interview with several different teams, which ended up totaling about 6 hours. The programming questions all asked for very basic implementations, however there was no compiler provided so I had to rely on experience (and scratch paper) to determine if I had gotten it right. After the test I met with programmers to talk about my test questions, going into detail about why I had chosen to implement my solutions the way I had, and possible ways to improve the implementations. It was expected that I might make some simple mistakes without the ability to compile and debug, however none of these mistakes seemed to count against me as long as I was able to explain my thought process, and show that I would have caught the mistake and produced a good solution if I had more time and a debugger.

We took a break for lunch, and after lunch met with other teams of programmers and designers. The first team gave me some brain teasers and asked me gameplay programming questions, how I would implement systems that handle certain situations, etc. The brain teasers were because I finished that segment early, so we had extra time to kill before the next team, it was fun but didn't feel like part of the formal interview. The next team started asking me trickier questions about MMO netcode and math.

In the end, my unfamiliarity with math ended up being the deciding factor, so in hindsight I do wish they had asked more math problems at the beginning so I would have been aware that it was something I needed to study before the on-site. However, it was still an overwhelmingly positive experience overall, and I do intend to apply again in the future.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite, and least favorite thing about the most recent expansion in world of warcraft? (After providing an answer, the followup question) Assuming you were put in charge of designing a fix for your least favorite thing, how would you go about it?   Answer Question
    • Describe the internal structure of various common containers, and the pros and cons of each   Answer Question
    • Describe some of the basic differences between TCP and UDP networking? When would you use each?   Answer Question
    • Assume a paladin targets a unit and presses their heal button. Describe what the client and server do here to handle this player input, how do you handle the cast time, target verification, having enough mana? What happens when the cast completes, could anything interrupt it, and how would the engine handle an interruption? Is your solution vulnerable to cheaters, how would you prevent them from broadcasting malicious messages to interfere with this casting process?   Answer Question
    • A mage casts dragon's breath in front of them. How do you verify a target is within the cone of damage? Assume the netcode is perfect, and you already have a spatial partitioning solution, so all you have to worry about is two unit positions. Perform the math you would need to verify a hit? Would you choose a cone that is flat at the end, or rounded? Why?   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

A few phone interviews and then an on-site all day interview. If you're not local they'll fly you out and put you in a hotel which is great. The onsite was all day so be prepared to be hammered with questions from several teams.

Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online and a recruiter reached out about 3 weeks after. Begins with a phone call to screen; pretty simple as it's just to confirm your skills and experience are relevant.

2 weeks later the recruiter reached out to schedule a second 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager of the team. The questions got a little tougher here. I think they are particularly looking for people with similar experience.

Another 2 weeks went by before I heard any updates, however I wasn't chosen to move forward. If you pass you make it to the onsite interview, which the recruiter had said is an all day process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Blizzard?   Answer Question
    • What inspires you to get up in the morning and go to work?   Answer Question
    • (if you don't have previous entertainment/gaming experience) How can you transfer your existing skills to the entertainment/gaming industry?   Answer Question