Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 3, 2017

2.9

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Austin, TX).

Interview

Easy interview. Nice people. Only really asked a question or two. They were trying to figure out if I was a geek like them, and if I could explain a simple to follow process.

Interview Questions

• How do - YOU - make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Submitted application online, all but forgot about it until a Blizzard recruiter called 2 or 3 months later to schedule a phone interview. He and I spoke about the position, and at the end he said he wanted to set up a tech screening video call with the hiring manager.

The video call was held about a week later, and the techs asked me about my familiarity with various technologies as well as how I would respond in different scenarios. That call went well, and about 2 weeks later Blizzard flew me out for face-to-face interviews (2 weeks due to my schedule - they would've had me out sooner if they could've).

The in-person interviews was over about 4 hours and we're a series of meetings with 2 or 3 people from different parts is the team. Lunch was included, so that was nice. My last meeting was with the management for the team.

I flew home the next day, and when I landed I had a voicemail from the Blizzard recruiter that he wanted to talk to me. We spoke the next day, and he told me the the company wanted to make me an offer. We discussed points of interest to me (salary, benefits, relocation, etc), and he said he'd get back to be with a formal offer. 2 days later the recruiter and a senior member of HR called to extend their formal offer.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

I had six interviews in two days. Each interview had 3 people. Each interview was dedicated to a different thing. I don't remember them all, but some if them were: job skills (the tech artists grilled me on tech art job skills stuff), learn and grow (my disposition towards growth and learning), team culture fit, and more.

There was a scripting take home test and I had 2 weeks to do it.

Interview Questions

• You support two art groups. Group A wants a tool where the button is green, and group B wants it Red. What do you do, and how?   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Wow, where do I begin in this horrendous experience!! I applied online with a very detailed cover letter (they require a cover letter). I was contacted by someone from HR who scheduled a phone screen. It took about 1 week to get the phone screen scheduled.
    The screen went well and from there I was told I would have another phone screen set-up within a week.
    THEN NOTHING!! Just vast emptiness of nothing for 7 weeks!! I sent multiple emails to see what was going on, no response. I called multiple times, no response. Finally on about the 5th time calling the HR rep was no longer in their system!! Did she quit? Did she die? No one knows!!!
    Talk about a horrible experience! Truly unprofessional and scandalously poor for such a seemingly well respected company. The only way you're getting in here is if you know a current employee or you are related to a current employee. Nepotism is rampant!!!!! Stay away unless you want to torture yourself.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Blizzard?   1 Answer

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA).

Interview

A phone screening, followed by a take home test, a second phone screening, and then an on-site interview and programming test. The response after each phase was very quick, taking one week at the most. Everyone I spoke with was very friendly and seemed passionate about their work, they frequently asked me personality questions to determine my fit with company culture, and these frequently resulted in us joking around and having fun. We did go over on time more than once, but the team is so friendly and knowledgeable that the time really flew by.

The first phone screening was very easy, they asked very basic questions about data structures, and it seemed mostly a dummy test to see if I was competent enough to receive a programming test. Things got more interesting when they unexpectedly asked me game design questions, which in hindsight made sense as the position would have required a great deal of interaction with the design team.

The programming test was a little tricky -- nothing unreasonable, but none of the questions were simple implementations I could just look up on stackoverflow. The second phone screen was mostly to talk about my programming test, going into detail about my decisions. After that, I was offered an on-site interview

The on-site interview started with an hour-long programming test, followed by an hour-long interview with several different teams, which ended up totaling about 6 hours. The programming questions all asked for very basic implementations, however there was no compiler provided so I had to rely on experience (and scratch paper) to determine if I had gotten it right. After the test I met with programmers to talk about my test questions, going into detail about why I had chosen to implement my solutions the way I had, and possible ways to improve the implementations. It was expected that I might make some simple mistakes without the ability to compile and debug, however none of these mistakes seemed to count against me as long as I was able to explain my thought process, and show that I would have caught the mistake and produced a good solution if I had more time and a debugger.

We took a break for lunch, and after lunch met with other teams of programmers and designers. The first team gave me some brain teasers and asked me gameplay programming questions, how I would implement systems that handle certain situations, etc. The brain teasers were because I finished that segment early, so we had extra time to kill before the next team, it was fun but didn't feel like part of the formal interview. The next team started asking me trickier questions about MMO netcode and math.

In the end, my unfamiliarity with math ended up being the deciding factor, so in hindsight I do wish they had asked more math problems at the beginning so I would have been aware that it was something I needed to study before the on-site. However, it was still an overwhelmingly positive experience overall, and I do intend to apply again in the future.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite, and least favorite thing about the most recent expansion in world of warcraft? (After providing an answer, the followup question) Assuming you were put in charge of designing a fix for your least favorite thing, how would you go about it?   Answer Question
    • Describe the internal structure of various common containers, and the pros and cons of each   Answer Question
    • Describe some of the basic differences between TCP and UDP networking? When would you use each?   Answer Question
    • Assume a paladin targets a unit and presses their heal button. Describe what the client and server do here to handle this player input, how do you handle the cast time, target verification, having enough mana? What happens when the cast completes, could anything interrupt it, and how would the engine handle an interruption? Is your solution vulnerable to cheaters, how would you prevent them from broadcasting malicious messages to interfere with this casting process?   Answer Question
    • A mage casts dragon's breath in front of them. How do you verify a target is within the cone of damage? Assume the netcode is perfect, and you already have a spatial partitioning solution, so all you have to worry about is two unit positions. Perform the math you would need to verify a hit? Would you choose a cone that is flat at the end, or rounded? Why?   Answer Question

Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online and a recruiter reached out about 3 weeks after. Begins with a phone call to screen; pretty simple as it's just to confirm your skills and experience are relevant.

2 weeks later the recruiter reached out to schedule a second 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager of the team. The questions got a little tougher here. I think they are particularly looking for people with similar experience.

Another 2 weeks went by before I heard any updates, however I wasn't chosen to move forward. If you pass you make it to the onsite interview, which the recruiter had said is an all day process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Blizzard?   Answer Question
    • What inspires you to get up in the morning and go to work?   Answer Question
    • (if you don't have previous entertainment/gaming experience) How can you transfer your existing skills to the entertainment/gaming industry?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

HR phone call, easy check up. Set up an hr technical interview. Two Data Scientists on the phone interview asked basic background questions, comfortability with certain tools (R/Python). Then set up a case study for an analysis: given access to their data how to build a model to predict customer value, asked what to do in the case of over/underfitting. Seemed to go well, the last question was on the computational complexity of gradient descent (wtf) which i couldn't answer off the top of my head, and imo is a pretty bad question to ask of a data scientist. didn't get an offer nor even a "thanks but no thanks" from the HR recruiter. pretty unprofessional

Interview Questions

• given access to their data how to build a model to predict customer value   Answer Question
    • computational complexity of gradient descent   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Process took about a little over a month.

Applied online by reference, briefly spoke to a recruiter over the phone. She asked me general questions, also about expected salary.

A week went by and then I got asked to do a phone interview. The phone interview was a lot of behavioural with general mixed technical questions mostly discussing C# vs C++, WPF, MVVM, and UI. No riddles or anything.

I then got a test over email to create a tool and send back the code over email. Less than 24 hours after submitting I got asked onsite, which is a marked improvement over my last interviews with Blizzard which took over a month to hear back.

I visited onsite from 10am to 5pm. Groups of interviews with people from the team of all areas. Artists, designers, producers, and the team I was applying for. They all asked nearly identical questions, but were really nice people. It was an enjoyable experience, but the technical questions were a bit of a mess. At one point there was even a debate and disagreement among the interviewers, referring to Google for the answer. It wasn't particularly impressive and kind of threw me off. I was also asked some rather low level binary questions that were much different from the test and what was on the phone interview which I hadn't expected. Felt like they came out of nowhere. I believe those are why I was rejected, I didn't respond quickly to them, they were kind of irrelevant to the role though so it was disappointing and put a damper on things. But that was early on so we still interviewed with everyone else.

I was told I'd hear back the next day or after the weekend on Monday. A week went by without word and I had to email twice over several days before getting a response at the end of day on a Friday. Rejected, no feedback. Not sure it was worth all that time and effort, and the recruiter was slow to respond, didn't even call to give news or acknowledge the emails.

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online in April and sent in my resume and CL along side a small design test.

About a month later they reached out and asked for me to complete a more in-depth design test, one that tested a few different areas of possible design positions.

Three weeks later, I was scheduled for a phone call with a recruiter, who went over the details of the position including base information about benefits and what the job would entail. Within a week I had a follow-up call with a few designers, who went over my background, my design test, and asked a few new questions.

Three weeks after I was invited for an on-site. The interviews were set up with a few people at a time, including my future supervisor, the creative director, other designers, and members from a few other disciplines I'd be working with. A mixture of standard interview questions alongside making sure I understood the game's systems, how to create content for it in line with the game's philosophies, problem solving, etc.

Interview Questions

• If, after initial design, a mission received feedback that it was missing a core feature, how would you implement said feature given the game's restrictions?   Answer Question
    • A certain mechanic in the game has seen a number of iterations throughout the past few expansions, how do you feel about its reception? What benefits has it had for both developers and players?   Answer Question

AV Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Took about two months from the date I applied. It took about a month even for the first email contact. I was contacted by a recruiter for a initial interview. After the initial interview I was told that I would have an interview with the department manager and a few others from the team i would be working with. It was amazing just to speak with people from Blizzard let alone have them be interested in hiring me. They kept it professional and tried to make me feel less intimidated(even though that didn't work). The second interview was approximately 40 minutes long. about two weeks later I was contacted by the recruiter again saying they wanted to set up another hour long interview with myself and 4-5 people from the AV team. This was more of a technical interview. Two days later I received an offer. Overall a surreal interviewing process. Everyone, from the recruiter to the AV team, were very professional and knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

• If you were updating your Fusion server and some of the rooms were not populating, how would you start to resolve this issue.   1 Answer