Goldman Sachs Java Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 22, 2017

2.7

Software Engineer Java Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

I had a terrible and bitter experience. Not because of I did not get the offer – which anyway I would have rejected after the face to face interview experience. Please note – I was earlier employed by GS and then quit because I got some other challenging project. Anyway, I had 4 people taking my technical interview over the phone. Then they flew me in for face to face interview which went from 9 am to 6.30 pm. Actually 2 groups took my interview for no apparent good reason(anyway I can only work for 1 group, right?). They took so much extra time and did not give me any lunch break – I believe that is just deliberate because HR sent them the time schedule. Some guy gave me a set of java, sql questions and asked to write all programs etc in bunch of sheet(not in the computer) and then he had to go somewhere and told me someone else will grade them.

My suggestion – if you are really good, just do nt go. Because even after getting the job – mostly you will be working in Sec DB or Slang(GS proprietary language ). So, you will forget all Java C++ skills(and your market value outside will be very low) and mostly maintaining programs(because 99% projects are in maintenance mode).

Interview Questions

• draw a network topology scheme for fault tolerance for 5,10,20 DB so that each db get synced with other db   1 Answer
  • you have an array and some 0 in that array. memory is so low that you can not create another array. how do you remove 0 from the array? how do you optimize it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Software Engineer Java Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I went there through some other company after clearing 2 technical rounds. It supposed to be my first round with Goldman Sachs. I answered all the questions. Write some programs related to string, Hibernate configuration and spring bean configuration.

Java Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Technical questions and some academical exercises.

Mainly Core Java questions. The usual questions asked by banks whose answers can be found everywhere on the Internet, hence rather useless to assess a candidate.

All in all, rather poor experience. I would have thought such roles would involve some smart thinking, but it's all about academical questions, elements of knowledge and willingness to work on the same systems for a long time.

Past experience considered very little. They expect you to give the answers they want to hear... which isn't good.