J. Crew Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 13, 2018

2.2

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at J. Crew (Brea, CA).

Interview

It was a 3 interview process. I first met with 2 separate store managers that were recruiting at the time. My third a final interview was with the District Manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you took a potentially bad customer experience and made it a good one.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Phone interview with Store Directory. Phone interview with market director. Phone interview with store director. Took as many weeks as interviews to get in touch with everyone, but there was a distance issue involved. They asked a lot of questions about customer service and management experience (as they should) but didn't really speak very candidly about the actual day to day when posed with the retort.

Interview Questions

• In the case of an associate note doing as well as they should, how would you step in to help?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiate upfront.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J. Crew (Indianapolis, IN) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted by a recruiter from out of town. Recruiter was only in town 1 day and I was her last screening. She was extremely unprofessional and rude. I dressed in a suit and not preppy, but I was applying for management so I thought it better to be over dressed. The interview was in a food court and I saw the previous candidate was dressed like a J. Crew model. The recruiter was slouched in her chair, playing with her hair and watching people walk by as she talked to me. She also yawned about 10 times. She didn't care about anything I had to say. I met the store manager, she was very nice and friendly. Pretty sure I didn't get the job because I was a size 12 and not a 2. I work in the same mall and I go in there frequently, everyone is under a size 6 and very rude. Terrible customer service. Get over yourselves. You work at J.Crew in Indiana.....

Interview Questions

• What style do you think J. Crew is?   1 Answer

Assistant Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Contacted for a phone interview the same day I applied. Set up a time to speak with someone in HR shortly thereafter. Interview was was easy mostly behavioral questions. Was told I would hear back within a week. Never heard back, even after emailing them a week and two weeks later

Assistant Merchandiser Interview

Interview

Online application. Prompt reply and one phone interview. No invitation for onsite interview.

Assistant Merchant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY).

Interview

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

I had a phone screening that I thought went really well. I sent a thank you email and several follow up emails in the following weeks. Completely ghosted. I had to find out my application was no longer being considered by checking the status on JCrew Talent. Extremely disappointing considering I worked for the company for over a year. Rude and disrespectful.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY).

Interview

apply in store, get briefly interviewed by manger, asked to come in again for full interview. Smile a lot, asked why I want to work there, other retail experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      What would i do if i am working with a difficult customer   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

I originally applied during July, which is a dead season in retail. Came back periodically until mid-august when they were able to interview me for a spot. Had a very impromptu interview with store director and heard back within a week

Interview Questions

• What kind of foot traffic are you used to at your old store.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

The most unorganized company I have ever interviewed for. I did a phone interview with a manager who was all over the place, forgot my name, couldn't finish her sentences and kept saying the wrong words. On top of that she was 15 minutes late calling me. She said I would hear back from her in a few days it ended up being over 2 weeks before she contacted me and left me this random voicemail that did not make any sense. When I called back she was once again all over the place and realized she had called the wrong person and left the wrong message. As a customer I will no longer be shopping with this company. If you can't respect me as a potential employee you will not get my business.

Interview Questions

• I honestly can't remember an important question she asked due to her being all over the place.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Interview

The process began with a phone interview from HR Corporate, followed by 2 separate interviews, one with the new store director and one with the store director at a different location. Did not interview with the District Manager, which I expected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Interview was more conversational than the standard interview questions   Answer Question