Marriott International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Marriott International Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017
1,038 Interview Reviews

2.6

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marriott International.

Interview

3 step interview process, first with restaurant manager, then with the director of human resources. Lasty, met with the General Manager. Each had different questions, but the process moved rather quickly.

Interview Questions

• What are your core values?   2 Answers
    • How confident are you diffusing a guest complaint?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

What an absolute terrible process. Applied for the position online. About a week later I received an email from an HR recruiter. They asked me to complete an online assessment. The online assessment was very in depth and took about two hours to complete. This was not normal to complete such an in depth online assessment without at least having an initial interview, but I still did it. I completed it and expected then to have an interview, by phone at least. Got an email a week later with about six interview questions and asked for my written response to those questions. Typical questions you would ask in an interview, why, what, salary, etc. So they essentially wanted me to write a three to four page essay response to their interview questions. Again, no actual call, conversation or any ability for me to ask questions. I submitted the response after spending another two hours perfectly articulating my response. Two weeks go by and I get a canned response from Marriott telling me there are more qualified candidates. What an embarrassing and degrading process. My advice, treat your candidates like actual human beings instead of robots, especially executive level candidates. I'm completely turned off by the brand, I won't be applying to ever work for them again. Maybe I'd be a great asset, maybe not, but I'm a human being. Treat your candidates like human beings.

Front Desk Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marriott International.

Interview

Applied and was called an hour later for an interview. I thought the interview went well, my issue was the woman seemed kind of fake in her responses to me. Told me I wasn't allowed to call out sick, there's no real breaks on the job, and they wanted to cross train me in the kitchen. I started to realize how different her description of the job and the online posting was. I declined the offer.

Interview Questions

• If there were there was a big line and your coworker was in the back texting, what would you do?
      What activities do you enjoy in your down time?
      Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
      Tell me about a time you succeed?
      What would your supervisor/friend say about you?
      Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Rockville, MD) in May 2017.

Interview

I took half a day off from work and drove in about 45mins to the interview. The interview as a whole was very robotic with a serious lack of human connection. The interviewer read all questions one by one from a written questionnaire while noting down my responses without making any human context a part of it. I am generally very good at connecting with people's chemistry, but this person was almost intentionally making an effort to keep it out of it. I felt like something was fundamentally wrong here. That is, either they already had their hiring decision and I was there to fill in the count of justifying no. of interviewees, or the interviewer possibly had a complex or fear of my being more experienced than the interviewer. I had more to offer than what the position asked. The overall vibe didn't feel right to me all along from the get-go as soon as I was greeted on arrival. A very up-stick conservative culture I wasn't very excited about. Btw, the good reviews you see on Glassdoor are not for professional positions but mostly the field ops of Marriott, which is why you don't see a single bad one. And it's possible that Marriott cares about its field staff and are good with that, I didn't feel that approach in their professional staff. Did I mention that I didn't even receive a thank you response to my follow up, which I would expect from someone who wastes the time of an interviewee who takes the time and pain of following through the process, shows up on time to the interview and sends a thank you note promptly. My recommendation to Marriott for professional hiring is this: First, move away from the robotic questionnaire designed by a 3rd party. You should know your corporate culture and understand the role you want to fill better than a 3rd party assisting you with robotic questionnaires - make an independent decision exercising your determination of the corporate needs. If you have been there for a while, it shouldn't be that big of an issue. Second, be courteous to offer a cup of coffee or a bottle of water to your interviewees on arrival. Third, when an interviewee sends you a thanking note, return the courtesy by responding with a brief acknowledgment of their time and interest, if nothing else. Fourth, don't put the interview and hiring decision process in the hands of one person. Personalities vary by individuals, one person's (or hiring manager's) decision may not always result in what business values. How would you tell if a hiring manager is bringing in someone on a personal favor (conflict of interest) rather than a free and fair competitive selection? Overall, dissatisfying process and disappointing of the image I had about Marriott. I am glad I wasn't offered the position because I wasn't sure myself on my way out if I would be happy to work in that type of immature professional culture. Had I received the offer, I would have had to think it over 100 times if I would want to join.

Interview Questions

• On Job behavioral questionnaire for almost an hour of the interview, designed by a 3rd party contracted entity for Marriott.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Marriott International.

Interview

Got a call from recruiter for initial Hr interview. Marriott is currently not sponsoring any visas. It has been kept in hold indefinitely. Recruiter immediately stopped the interview after learning that visa sponsorship is needed.

Reservations Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marriott International.

Interview

I emailed back and forth with the HR rep a few times going over my schedule and when I would be available to come in for an interview. They were EXTREMELY accommodating with finding a time that worked for me. I went in for my interview and was seen by the girl I was emailing with. She asked a bunch of questions about my past experiences and why I want to work for the company. She then told me she wanted me to talk with the general manager of the hotel so I went to his office. He asked similar questions. I then went and talked with the head of the front desk. He was super relaxed and tried to ask questions he thought I wouldn't have already been asked. The entire process of being interviewed by the three of them took maybe a little over an hour. I got the call I got the job about 4-5 hours after I interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • What are your customer service experiences?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult client and how did you handle/resolve it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marriott International.

Interview

Easy interview. Very professional and short. The HR and restaurant manager were very nice and professional. Got to tour the hotel and restaurant. Took drug test and background check and passed. Received email that I've officially been hired.

Interview Questions

• Just asked about previous experience and a few "tell me a time...."   Answer Question

Voyage Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marriott International.

Interview

First interfere was at my school during career fair, received a email that I was invited to the final interview in Atlanta. Final interview wasn't so bad was able to meet some amazing people such as management from all over. Interview process start the second you walk in. First day is the meet and greet finished with lectures and networking event. Next day is the final interview you are interviews by two people using the STAR method. You will get a call within a couple of days letting you know if you get a offer or not.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a angry customer?   Answer Question

Restaurant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International.

Interview

Interview with HR followed by interview with the restaurant GM followed by interview with food and beverage AGM. Returns next day for interview with hotel AGM, then asked to take two online assessments. A "top grading" interview of three hours will be next.

Front Desk Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marriott International (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

Brief phone discussion of position. We discussed the position I applied for. Also asked me to tell her about myself. Then in-person interview with 2 HR managers. After that interview I was sent in to speak with the GM and other manager. We discussed simple things about me and scheduling.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond for a customer. What was the outcome?   Answer Question