MicroStrategy Associate Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MicroStrategy Associate Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at MicroStrategy

2.8

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Got HR call. She set up a phone screen. Phone technical round and after that they called me onsite. The onsite interview was for 4 hours with 4 different people. Technical, behavioral, logical, analytical questions were asked.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MicroStrategy

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There are one HR interview, two technical phone screen interviews, and then onsite interviews. The HR and software engineer interviewees are very knowledgeable and smart. I get the impression that they are professional. I am still in the interview process, so I have not been offered employment yet..

Interview Questions

• Computer science knowledge and concepts, data structures, algorithms.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Vienna, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Very nice experience. Two round phone interviews. On-site with 4 people including a tour of the company. Basic concept questions like multi-threading, Java core and some algorithm questions. 1 week after I received oral offer and the official offer came 1 week after. The whole process is within 1 month, very efficient.

Interview Questions

• What is deadlock, how to prevent it   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

The process started with a phone screen with a recruiter, followed by another phone screen with a software engineer. These were largely about background, though the second interview involved a straightforward question about using a data structure to store a music player queue. After the phone screens, they invited me to take a battery of (relatively easy) assessments, before inviting me over to Tysons for an interview.

The Tysons interview consisted of a project demo, a technical interview, a HR interview and another test, this time in HackerRank and focused on software engineering concepts. The interview concluded with them inviting us up to the executive floor to have lunch with a number of employees. So far, so good.

After waiting around for a while, I received a call from the recruiter to discuss my immigration status. She told me that they would like to make me an offer, but the fact that I don't have a CS degree would pose a problem for my future H-1B application, and therefore they will not make the offer, unless I could meet a few conditions (obtaining eligibility for the F-1 OPT STEM extension). After going through a lot of trouble to satisfy the requirements, the issue got caught up with the immigration department and ultimately I received a negative reply despite earlier promises. If you're an unconventional aspiring engineer, I wouldn't recommend interviewing here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

2 Phone interviews, 1 background 1 technical. Then the next round is 4 in person interviews about a previous project you worked on, analytical problems, programming/algorithms, and a career/behavioral interview. Make sure you know your data structures and algorithms and also practice some brain teasers. I feel like the brain teasers are unnecessary for interviews but whatever.

Interview Questions

• Given a scale and an object that can way between 1 to 40 grams. What is the minimum number of counter weights that you can buy to weigh anything in the range of 1 to 40.   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Tysons, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Got a HackerRank assessment - 1 programming (algo) + 19 technical MCQs. 2 phone interviews - HR + technical (algo questions). One assessment consisting of math, verbal reasoning and designing questions. Skype interviews - 2 technical, 1 skill set based, 2 were resume based + behavioral questions. Took almost 3 months for entire process. Interviewers were really nice and interviews were interactive.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied through university career fair, two weeks later got an email asking me to do some online tests. Then the on-campus 1v1 interview. Standard behavioral questions. Talked about the resume and experience.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview after initial meeting at Career Fair. After phone interview I was asked to complete 4 skills assessments. After these assessments I was flown to Tysons, VA for 3 more in person interviews.

Interview Questions

• Analytical Questions - how many weighings does it take to find differently weighted pool ball?   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Interview

He is talking to you about what stage you are now when you graduate, and then. What kind of job are you want to do? What kind of technology is there to do before? What do you do? He did not ask you anything else.

Interview Questions

• What kind of job are you want to do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons, VA) in February 2018.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter after they saw my profile on the university job page. Had 30 minute phone call with recruiter and set up an on-campus interview for the following week because they would already be there for the career fair. On campus interview lasted an hour and I was asked some general problem solving questions and OOP concepts. After passing the first round, I was asked to complete four online exams, all of them were timed and consisted of a Hackerrank exam along with three multiple choice tests on design, data analytics, and reading comprehension. Hear back the same day and invited to on-site interview. The on-site consisted of four interviews: project presentation, technical interview, analytical interview, and interview with technology exec. The project presentation caught me off guard as I was told to prepare to speak on a project I had worked on for 45 minutes, but when I started talking about the project the interviewer asked if I could instead present on a different project he saw on my resume which I hadn't prepared for at all. For the technical interview I was told there may be a few questions about binary trees, data structures, and algorithms; however, there were no DSA questions and I was asked to do another exercise on OOP design. The interviewer seemed as though he had a single answer in mind and wouldn't accept any other implementation, despite the question being about design - this came into play when I was asked to write a pretty straightforward method (I think it was to see if an element was in a list, or something involving a hash table) and so I wrote out the method and made sure to ask clarification questions. Some of the changes he requested I make were in direct contradiction to the design requirements I was given to read beforehand, it was a matter of semantics of the way it was written, in which case I'm not sure why they made me do a reading comprehension test beforehand when the interviewer hadn't correctly interpreted the language of his own question. Regardless, I made the changes he requested but afterwards he pointed out that I also could have done it in a single line using a built-in function... I thought this was weird for him to point out as I knew the one-liner existed but felt that it defeated the whole purpose of asking the question in the first place - not only would using the one-liner approach using built-in classes defeat the whole point of a technical coding question (doesn't show problem solving skills, just language-specific knowledge), but they teach you that it is bad software design to write single line methods in like the first university CS class.

Aside from these qualms, the interviews were pretty standard otherwise. I didn't like that a lot of their questions concerned specific knowledge and trivia rather than give me the opportunity to demonstrate problem solving skills. I also disliked how when asked questions about design choices, a perfectly reasonable explanation was not a good enough answer unless you agreed with whatever design decision the interviewer preferred. I could understand if these were for major critical design decisions, but felt completely unnecessary when the differences were trivial for things like for loop vs while loop when they serve the same purpose.