Microsoft Intern Software Development Engineer In Test Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Intern Software Development Engineer In Test Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.4

Intern Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2009.

Interview

1.) Sent in an online application and e-mailed the university recruiter.

2.) Waited for about a month

3.) Initial phone interview with recruiter
  - Mostly general questions (e.g. why do you want to work at Microsoft etc.)

4.) waited 1-2 weeks (don't remember how many)

5.) Given an interview in Redmond ( 2-3 weeks after the initial phone interview)

6.) Had 4 interviews in Redmond

7.) Recieved a job offer about a week later

Interview Questions

• Given a string, I was asked to return all of the unique characters in the order of the original string.   1 Answer

Negotiation

-Job offers for interns are pretty much standard.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

An on campus recruiter saw that I was skilled and pushed me onto a phone interview. Basic questions, if you can't get past this part without any prep, you're really not for this job, seriously. I was then sent up to Microsoft's headquarters and went through 5 rounds of interviews, including a lunch interview. All the interviewers asked programming questions except for the lunch interview, in which I interview my interviewer. They were all super nice, and it was one of the best experiences thus far.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected interview was when I was supposed to interview my interviewer during lunch. While not entirely difficult, it was totally unexpected.   1 Answer

Other opportunities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (College Station, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

Campus interview in career center. one to one environment. lasted 30 minutes. The interviewer indicated at the beginning that the interview will be fast pace and various kinds of questions will be answered. There were no questions regarding my resume. I was asked some two coding questions, two knowledge based questions, and two open questions

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2012.

Interview

My first communications with Microsoft were during campus recruiting. I went to their events, but more so because I was interested in the company and their advice for me, not because I had my sights on an internship with them (though I ended up getting one anyway!) I was thrilled/shocked when I found out I had an on campus interview!
    To prepare, I bought a book called "Cracking the Coding Interview" (It's magical, I'm telling you. I highly recommend it). The day finally arrived!

On Campus Interview: Half an hour long. Firstly, the interviewer had Windows 8 on a touchscreen computer, which he let me play with. I asked him some semi-informed questions (I had done a little bit of research on Windows 8 beforehand), which I think he appreciated (example: "The design seems like it's made for a touchscreen, like you have here. Is it still good with a mouse?").
    Next, he started with the famed questions! It wasn't hard (especially because I practiced binary tree traversal) - given a binary tree, multiply the value in each node by 2. Once I did that, there was the expected "Ok, now test it". I came up with several test cases, including seeing what would happen if the values were large enough to cause integer overflow once multiplied by two. He said he'd never heard that answer before, which I guarantee was the thing that got me to the second interview.
    The next question was an object-oriented design question that I had no idea what the answer was, so I was convinced I'd bombed my interview.

The next day... I got an email inviting me to a second-round interview in Redmond! I was shocked/humbled/etc. About a month and a half later, I was off to Seattle, convinced that I was dreadfully underprepared.

Second Round Interview: If you make it here, LEAVE THE HOTEL EARLY. I got so lost and was barely on time. First thing in the morning: Meet with recruiter. She informed me that I'd be interviewing with the Windows Phone team. (I've never touched a Windows phone, so I figured I was doomed, but it turns out that they're not interested with your experience with specific technologies!)
    Now, most candidates have a lunch interview, but my interviewer actually forgot to do that, so I was unlucky enough to have 4 (mostly) intense interviews on an empty stomach (he was very ashamed later!).
    -Interview 1: Hardest of them all, I thought. My interviewer was really intense (really smart - I respected him!) and asked me to implement a linked list. Also, basic object oriented principles
    -Interview 2: My interviewer found out that I like Project Euler, so he asked me a programming question based on that. Also, he wrote code on the board and asked me to find the bug.
    -Interview 3: One of the coolest guys I've ever met. He pretty much did a full-blown personality analysis on me (scarily accurate) within the first 5 minutes of meeting me. Then he asked me a brainteaser that I couldn't get the final answer to, but he seemed ok with that.
    -Interview 4: Finally a non-technical interview! It was with the manager, who told me that my interview was going great (not what I was thinking - so it was a relief!). We talked about life at Microsoft, etc, and then he sent me home.

I waited for 2 days (that seemed like eons) to hear back from them. I wasn't confident, but I really wanted to know so that I could move on with my life. The recruiter responded with a short response to my thank you email that said Microsoft wanted to offer me the internship! She then called me to discuss the offer, and told me that the team wanted me to know that they interviewed several people for the position, but I was their top choice (which really REALLY shocked me!). I accepted!

Final notes: Be enthusiastic. Prepare. Don't make yourself seem like all you do with your life is computers, but really, know a lot about coding. Ask intelligent questions (and clarifying questions!).
    I can't wait to start - good luck to you!

Interview Questions

• You have a building with 100 stories. You also have two glass balls. You can drop the glass balls as many times as you want before they break. How can you find the floor at which they start breaking with the fewest number of drops?   3 Answers
    • Implement a linked list   Answer Question
    • Given an integer, write a function that rotates the digits to the right.   Answer Question
    • How would you test this plastic, compostable knife?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2013.

Interview

One on-campus interview, then one on-site all-day interview (Redmond in my case).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2013.

Interview

2 rounds: Phone interview then on Microsoft campus interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

Have a friend who works for Microsoft. He came to my campus as a campus recruiter, so I submitted my resume to him. Had a phone interview later that week. Heard back that they wanted me to fly out to Seattle a week or two later. Flew out, and had a great trip. 4 interviews, 45 minutes long, focusing on problem-solving skills, coding skills, and comfort with Java and C++. Heard back the next day that I got the offer. Since then, Microsoft has been great throughout the whole process. I'm excited to intern there Summer 2014!

Interview Questions

• There was a question about delimiters that was tough.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was blown away by the offer, honestly. I couldn't bring myself to negotiate haha.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2013.

Interview

Met Microsoft at a career fair. Had an on campus first round interview and 6 weeks later was contacted about going to Seattle for the final round. The entire interview process took around 2.5-3 months

Interview Questions

• Given any number break it down into a multiplication of all prime numbers ie 8 => 2 x 2 x 2. Shift an array by x spots in place. Design and test a file backup system.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for interns but there are several stipends (travel, living, relocation, etc...)

Software Development Engineer In Test Intern Interview

Application

I interviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

Interview

Meet them at a college career fair, had interview at my college a week later. Then was invited out to Redmond for an on campus series of interviews. They took care of the travel plans and hotel along with reimbursing for meals taxi fares to get around. On campus interviews were interesting, series of interviews with different developers in the team I was being considered for. Typically about 2 programming questions and a few general questions with each developer.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was "How would you test a parachute?"   Answer Question

Intern Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in April 2012.

Interview

After an online application, a recruiter will contact you and ask you to fill out a document that imitates an interview. If they are satisfied with what you fill in, they will contact you to arrange a phone interview. This interview is structured in the same way as the first document. After you pass this, they may schedule an on-site interview where you will have 2-4 interviews with different teams that are available. These interviews are also structured similarly as the previous ones.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There were no negotiations, the salary was announced in advance.