Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,019 Interview Reviews

3.1

1,019 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on campus interview, which was very smooth. Asked 2 coding questions on a sheet of paper and was given a chance to ask the interviewer questions. Then flown out to do an on-site interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend of mine currently working at Microsoft. I first did a 45 minute on-campus interview which consisted of one easy question plus some behaviorals. Unfortunately, Microsoft had fulfilled their hiring quota for the year, but a spot opened up in mid-December and I scheduled my on-site to be in January.

The on-site consisted of five interviews about an hour long each, with some standard data structures/algorithm questions plus one system design question. The fifth interviewer also asked some behaviorals. The algorithm questions were probably around LeetCode Medium level.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of n unsorted key-value tuples which are too large to fit in memory, return the k tuples with the greatest value where n is several orders of magnitude greater than k. This list may be dispersed across multiple machines.   1 Answer
    • Given a tree of order n which is neither complete or a search tree, write a function to construct a new tree of order m in-place. Memory usage is bound to 2 times the size of the tree. The new tree must be complete, and a node A cannot be a child of another node B in the new tree if A was an ancestor of B in the old tree.   1 Answer
    • Given a list of movement commands (up, down, left, right, undo previous action), write a function that returns the final (x,y) coordinate. Followup: how would you handle other kinds of commands and undoing them? What kind of design pattern is this?   1 Answer
    • Given two very large timestamped sorted log files that do not fit in memory (possibly on different machines), merge them in timestamp order. Provide some test cases.   1 Answer
    • Describe how you would design a data experimentation platform.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

I've applied to FTE positions for years on their public site, and never gotten anywhere. However, this time I had an internal recommendation. So I went from applying to in an interview loop within a week. No phone screen or pre-screen of any sort.

The full interview process was comprised of 4 one hour interviews, with various Program Managers and Software Engineers. We did white board coding and talked a lot about my past work. They seemed to really appreciate that I have an UWA in the store already, with good reviews.

After the interview, it took about a month to get my offer, however, this was also over the Christmas holiday season. Some delays where due to approvers being on PTO.

Interview Questions

• I was sked a variety of questions surrounding the more advanced areas of C# and JavaScript.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I received a generous offer, but not necessarily what I was hoping for. I made a counter offer, which was accepted same day. Overall very easy, and the recruiter was very helpful and understanding.

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a referral sent in by a friend and had a phone screen with the manager (mostly questions about the team and my past experience, followed by a quick coding question). Followed by about a month of inactivity and then was brought in to an onsite with 4 people (3 engineers, 1 manager) and a lunch at the cafeteria. Each round involved talking about personal projects and experience, followed by a technical question and a demo of the team's product in several cases. Surprised by a 5th interviewer pop up at the end who seemed unaware of me and was on his phone and walked off in the middle to get tea. Maybe this was a test to see how I would respond? Was called a couple days later with a negotiable offer, only minor problems with difficulty getting hold of the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Given 4 coins of values 1, 5, 10, and 20, find all the combinations of coins that can add up to K.   1 Answer
    • Create a button menu using Javascript.   Answer Question
    • Find ways to insert data collection in Javascript events.   Answer Question
    • Given a linked list, put all the odd elements in lexicographical order list in front of the even elements in lexicographical order in place.   Answer Question
    • Design chess using OOP.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

All interviews are technical. Started with an on campus interview in September, but there was a hold on submitting candidates to final round that got lifted in December. Flew out to Seattle for a 4 more interviews (spaced out with a 15 min break)

Interview Questions

• Print out all the nodes in a binary in order without recursion.   Answer Question
    • Return the longest palindromic substring.   Answer Question
    • Print nodes in balanced tree level by level and reversing the print order every other level.   Answer Question
    • Get k largest elements in a list, extremely large list (doesn't fit in memory), write actual test cases.   Answer Question
    • Determine if a linked list is circular (give upper and lower on runtime bounds given the choices made/optimal ratio)   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was referred by someone who works at Microsoft, and Microsoft gave me an interview at my school campus. The interview was 30 minutes long, and there were two technical questions to be solved on a white board. One was hard, the other was easy. Both problems were vague about the exact specifications of the input/output.

Interview Questions

• a problem about rectangles (not the one floating around the web about determining whether two rectangles overlap).   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had a phone screen that I thought went pretty well. By the end, the recruiter seemed to be hinting I'd get an onsite interview, and assured me I'd hear back from her by the next week because she knew I had a deadline coming up.

Well...2 weeks of silence went by. I emailed the person coordinating the interviews (I had no way of contacting the recruiter herself) and she said they'd get back with me ASAP.

She never got back to me. It has now been 2.5 months of silence. Why you gotta be like that, Microsoft?

Interview Questions

• Just your standard non-technical phone screen with behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Great process. Passed the first screen interview with a full-time engineer that came to my college campus. I feel like that interview was mostly about personality and fit, more than engineering prowess. The on-site interviews was a round of 4 interviews back-to-back. Enjoyed the experience with every interviewer. The questions were not hard, but not drop dead easy.

Interview Questions

• Find the common ancestor in a binary tree.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

Interview

On-campus interview + on-site interview at Redmond
    Contacted by recruiter for an on-campus interview opportunity. It was a short screening interview with some behavior questions and a coding question, only pseudo code needed.
    On-site interview consists of 4 rounds with each one 45 mins long. Both behavior and coding questions were asked in each round. It's a great experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied and got an on-campus interview because of a connection with Campus Recruitment.

The interview was quick, with a coding question, some resume review, and a question about explaining and making a simple diagram of a previous project. Not a very personal experience, and I likely did not stand out enough as a confident candidate.

Interview Questions

• Given the head of a linked list, write a program in your language of choice to return the middle node of the list.   1 Answer