Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,037 Interview Reviews

3.1

1,037 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I took the hiring event onsite hosting by Microsoft for AI & R.
Before interviewing with Microsoft, I already got offers from several other big companies among FLAG & UAD.

1st round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO
the AI team member looks like is an Indian, gave a question that I ever saw than know the answer. I tried to explain to him the optimized solution. He gave me several hints that turned out to be wrong (he admit it in the interview), and finally the result is NO probability because I don't take his wrong hint and stick to the right direction. That is ridiculous.

2nd round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO
The AI team member looks like an Indian, gave me first question. I analyze the problem and break it down into pretty reasonable parts similar as divide and conquer. I gave her a runnable answer with Time n^2 Space 1, and evolute 4 rounds to optimize it further and further to the best solution I can get. Then she gave me second question, I provided my two runnable solutions but the interviewer ask for solution without any extra space( data structure) to use. That is tentatively make the problem harder, but finally I get the solution per her requirement.
And finally, the result is NO for my fast problem solving and clear code and personality to get the fast and correct answer. Ridiculous!

3rd round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer though not the best solution, YES

The team member looks like an Asian, gave me two questions, and I analyze the question and optimize it further and further with Time and Space Complexity until the interviewer say ok to my solution. Pretty similar progress as previous two round. The result is YES.

4th round feedback: good coding, good problem solving, good communication, best solution, YES

I am a senior software engineer with 5 years working experience, suppose this round is a system design question, but it is still a coding question.

The team member looks like a native American, gave me one question, and I analyze the question fist with pseudo code and then real code with best solution. The result is YES.

Microsoft was ever a great company with excellent reputation and branding. She was justified an interviewer fairly without politics. But now, I guess the reason I got NO from first two rounds even I perform better, is that I am not Indian (personality and culture fit). How could you imagine a candidate get two NO round, with offers from 4 big companies.
Yes, culture fit, personality reason. Ridiculous!

My suggestions to Microsoft Hiring Event:
1. add shadow to interviewer every round.
2. take a picture of the coding and design result.
3. check the performance of the candidate who got an offer from hiring event.

Interview Questions

• Good coding, good problem solving, good communication, clear answer, but NO for culture fit.   5 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On campus interview. The interviewer asked some basic list reversal questions, didn't even look up at the board for my answers. Spent the whole interview checking email. Felt like he thought he had better things to do.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on campus interview, which was very smooth. Asked 2 coding questions on a sheet of paper and was given a chance to ask the interviewer questions. Then flown out to do an on-site interview.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter for the SDE position for their hiring event. I was asked to register and will get the Online test in a week. It's been more than a month since than. I tried to reach the recruiter many times but won't respond back. Any other recruiters won't accept my application since I was contacted previously by other recruiter. I don't understand whether they really are looking for engineers or an applicant just suffers because of all this inside conflicts. It's not believable from such a good company.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I got referred to a specific team at Microsoft as New Grad hiring was halted for 2016. Talked to a manager on the phone for an hour, and was asked about my resume and did a interview question. Was flown to Seattle 2 weeks later and had an onsite interview with the team at Redmond. It consisted of 5 interviews with coding and culture-fit questions. I was at the Microsoft Campus from 9AM to 4:30PM. The process was nice, and the interviews were more conversational than say Google onsite interviews. I got a call 2 days later with an offer to join the team.

Microsoft enjoyed asking data structure questions with arrays, linked lists, strings, etc. Questions on graphs are said to be rare. Be prepared to answer any design questions, which may be follow up questions to coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions on string traversal, arrays + math were common in my interview.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

The recruiter sent me an invitation for an on-campus technical interview. I was asked to schedule the onsite the next day. I asked for three weeks to prepare. The onsite process is pretty standard as many other companies. I had four interviews all of them with senior developers/managers in the respective teams. I was asked questions related to DP and Backtracking. CTCI along with decent practice from Leetcode is enough to crack the interview. We need to be careful testing the code we write.

Interview Questions

• On-campus - related to a data-structure design
      onsite - DP, Backtracking and a question on palindromes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was referred by a friend of mine currently working at Microsoft. I first did a 45 minute on-campus interview which consisted of one easy question plus some behaviorals. Unfortunately, Microsoft had fulfilled their hiring quota for the year, but a spot opened up in mid-December and I scheduled my on-site to be in January.

The on-site consisted of five interviews about an hour long each, with some standard data structures/algorithm questions plus one system design question. The fifth interviewer also asked some behaviorals. The algorithm questions were probably around LeetCode Medium level.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of n unsorted key-value tuples which are too large to fit in memory, return the k tuples with the greatest value where n is several orders of magnitude greater than k. This list may be dispersed across multiple machines.   2 Answers
    • Given a tree of order n which is neither complete or a search tree, write a function to construct a new tree of order m in-place. Memory usage is bound to 2 times the size of the tree. The new tree must be complete, and a node A cannot be a child of another node B in the new tree if A was an ancestor of B in the old tree.   2 Answers
    • Given a list of movement commands (up, down, left, right, undo previous action), write a function that returns the final (x,y) coordinate. Followup: how would you handle other kinds of commands and undoing them? What kind of design pattern is this?   2 Answers
    • Given two very large timestamped sorted log files that do not fit in memory (possibly on different machines), merge them in timestamp order. Provide some test cases.   2 Answers
    • Describe how you would design a data experimentation platform.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was messaged by Microsoft recruiters from Linkedin. They sent me an online assesment which you have to complete in 60 minutes. If you pass that you will be able to go on-site. I interviewed at Microsoft on campus in Redmond for a full day loop of 6 people. Everyone was super friendly and super excited about future of Microsoft under new CEO leadership.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA Contract. Algorithmic and Design Architecture Problems. They drill you deep on multi threading and distributed systems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a referral sent in by a friend and had a phone screen with the manager (mostly questions about the team and my past experience, followed by a quick coding question). Followed by about a month of inactivity and then was brought in to an onsite with 4 people (3 engineers, 1 manager) and a lunch at the cafeteria. Each round involved talking about personal projects and experience, followed by a technical question and a demo of the team's product in several cases. Surprised by a 5th interviewer pop up at the end who seemed unaware of me and was on his phone and walked off in the middle to get tea. Maybe this was a test to see how I would respond? Was called a couple days later with a negotiable offer, only minor problems with difficulty getting hold of the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Given 4 coins of values 1, 5, 10, and 20, find all the combinations of coins that can add up to K.   2 Answers
    • Create a button menu using Javascript.   1 Answer
    • Find ways to insert data collection in Javascript events.   1 Answer
    • Given a linked list, put all the odd elements in lexicographical order list in front of the even elements in lexicographical order in place.   1 Answer
    • Design chess using OOP.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

I've applied to FTE positions for years on their public site, and never gotten anywhere. However, this time I had an internal recommendation. So I went from applying to in an interview loop within a week. No phone screen or pre-screen of any sort.

The full interview process was comprised of 4 one hour interviews, with various Program Managers and Software Engineers. We did white board coding and talked a lot about my past work. They seemed to really appreciate that I have an UWA in the store already, with good reviews.

After the interview, it took about a month to get my offer, however, this was also over the Christmas holiday season. Some delays where due to approvers being on PTO.

Interview Questions

• I was sked a variety of questions surrounding the more advanced areas of C# and JavaScript.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I received a generous offer, but not necessarily what I was hoping for. I made a counter offer, which was accepted same day. Overall very easy, and the recruiter was very helpful and understanding.