Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 21, 2017

3.3

427 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (Columbus, OH) in September 2017.

Interview

1st Round Campus Interview so far. Have not heard back, it has been about a week. Interviewer was a bit emotionless, hard to gauge what he was thinking. Offered no advice during technical question.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Jose, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Micorsoft program manager is actually the product manager position. Two phone interviews before onsite. It was a little bit surprise to me that MS is looking for very technical product manager with a need of being able to write code and do the system design.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain Cloud to your grandma?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Flew out to Seattle, stayed at a nice hotel, was picked up and taken to MSFT HQ. Fed a tasty breakfast with hot coffee. Went through 4 back to back interviews:
    * coding problem -- outline a function for testing whether a string is a palindrome
    * behavioral interview
    * design a competitor to Google Nest
    * estimate how many tennis balls would fit in a submarine

All the interviewers were exceptionally friendly, the end-to-end process was smooth and simple, and they expedited results the next day!

Interview Questions

• Estimate how many tennis balls would fit in a submarine   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

A phone call from HR, then 4 rounds of product related questions. Pretty general process. Questions focused past experience and some PM skills like how do you handle the case when you trying to persuade someone in other team.

Interview Questions

• What is the product you proud of?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview consisted of a 30 minute phone screening with HR and then a video chat with a member of the team I would be working with. Questions were centered around behavioral and experience stuff... really all cookie-cutter questions that one should be prepared for ahead of time. The interviewer was very kind and nice, and interview was more of a conversation

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me something about yourself that I can't find on your resume.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I talked to a recruiter at a career fair and was emailed that I had an on campus interview a couple days later. The on campus interview was 30 min and the interviewer made me feel very comfortable

Interview Questions

• design a coffee maker for a car   1 Answer
    • how would you change a string of numbers into an int   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Didn't hear anything back after a good experience with the recruiter at the engineering career fair in the fall, but after meeting with some Microsoft reps at a Women in CS conference in February, I was encouraged to reach out to my campus recruiter again with my updated resume. I sent it and got a reply back in hours as well as an on-campus interview!
    Met with a dev who's been at the company for 19 years and graduated from my alma mater. Friendly and very dad-like. Was expecting at least one coding question or questions based on my resume (or courses that I had taken) but a lot of emphasis on networks, for some reason.

Interview Questions

• What is Windows missing?   1 Answer
    • How would you describe cloud computing to a grandma?   1 Answer
    • What is TCP/IP?   1 Answer
    • How do you get people to agree with your point of view?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Honestly one of the most positive interview experiences I've been through to date. The entire process took approximately 4 weeks or so, from the initial phone interview to the offer. Phone interview was very straight forward. We talked about a couple of projects on my resume, why I want to work at Microsoft, which accomplishments I'm most proud of, etc. About a week later, I got an email saying I got an opportunity to interview on-site at their Redmond campus. The travel arrangements were seamless, with everything from round trip plane ticket, rental car, hotel, and meal expense all covered. The interview itself felting seamless as well. It consisted of back to back interviews with various engineers, engineering directors, and program managers. Every interview felt like a conversation, where we spoke further about my experiences, their experiences, and any other questions I may have about the position. A challenging (but fun) interview was where my interviewer asked me to walk him through what I would do to bring my product (school project) from prototype stages to production ready stages. Very fun. Afterwards, Microsoft will give you time to explore the surrounding Seattle area.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you're a PM for your school project, and you have 8 months to bring it to production. What do you, and how do you spend these 8 months?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Had an on Campus interview that consisted of a single design question.

Next was a Onsite in Redmond which featured a full day (9am till 6pm) with 5 interviews and a multitude of questions.

First interview was design based

Second interview was behavioral and asked a few technical design questions

Third interview was a "lunch" interview in which the interviewer ate and I was grilled on whiteboarding questions and design questions. Looking back I wish I had taken more time to eat as after this interview I really lost steam.

Fourth interview was technical and design based. Asked about data and data trends and asked to design a toolbar.

Next i was informed that I had a 90 minute break before my final interview, gave me time to walk around the campus and get my wits together

Fifth interview was the team manager and was behavioral, technical, and design focused. Ended up going for about an hour and a half and was absolutely exhausting. Looking back I honestly dont even remember some of the answers I gave because I was so exhausted. Figured that i blew it here and was convinced I didnt get the job.

Two days later I got a call from my recruiter and was thrilled to hear that I got the position.

Interview Questions

• Explain an API to your grandmother   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I got 4 back to back interviews and I didn't get the offer. I guess one lunch interview where I got pushed around a lot and it didn't go well. Didn't get any feedback. Normally, if there are 5 interviews, the candidates will have an offer.

Interview Questions

• Explain and teach something I don't know (White Boarding the whole concept)   1 Answer
    • You are a PM for MS developer API , so what are the things you will consider and why? (White Boarding)   1 Answer
    • You are a PM for a solution that will engage waiting customers at the high end restaurant. Come up with
      1) Business Case
      2) Customers Segment
      3) Customers persona
      4) Feature List
      5) Wire Frame diagram
      6) User Stories
      7) Project execution and RoadMap
      (this was my lunch interview, white boarding)   1 Answer
    • Explain your internship project and white board the end to end flow.   1 Answer