Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 16, 2017

3.3

442 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied through college or university. I got an on campus interview call 1 week later. The interview was 30 minutes and was mostly behavioral in nature. After that I got contacted that I had passed the first round but they did not have enough seats for the second round, so they are still waiting.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied through the University career site. Got a call about a month later, asking if I'd still be interested in the position. Scheduled a phone interview within the next 2 days.
    After a week, got a mail from them saying I was selected for the on-site round in Redmond, Washington. They flew me from Boston, provided great accommodation, food and sight-seeing budget. So the experience was pretty sweet.

Phone interview was a lot about my resume and a case-based question.

The On-site was 4 back-to-back interviews one of them being a lunch interview, with Program Managers at different buildings. A lot of product development , soft skills based and case based questions.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Campus recruiter offered me an interview the following week we met during the career fair. The on-campus interview was half an hour long with a mix of behavioral, technical and product design questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you identify the last number of a linked list that has no null value at the end which points somewhere in between   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

Series of 1:1 interviews at different office locations throughout the day. Some very friendly conversations, others were more challenging and definitely felt like a test. Was a little confusing trying to figure out my next location without a chaperone.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about estimating the number of gas stations in the USA?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

The on campus interview was just a conversation about my experience and my resume, followed by a technical coding question.

The on site interview was 4 back to back interviews with members from the Cloud and Azure team. When you schedule your on site interview you will either get the first or second half of the day for interviews. In my opinion if you can get the first half of the day, it is much better because the interviewers are still fresh and after you finish interviews at lunch time you can go explore Seattle for the rest of the day.

Tips:
    1. Read through Cracking the PM interview, and solve some example problems
    2. Practice your coding skills (data structures and algorithms), PMs at Microsoft are expected to have strong technical skills
    3. Know why people want to work as a PM at Microsoft instead of Google or other major tech companies

Timeline:
    Recruiter contacted through LinkedIn
    On campus interview 1 week later.
    Heard back next day.
    Scheduled on site for two weeks away.
    I heard back within 2 days of interview that I had an offer.
    Negotiation took 1 week.

Interview Questions

• Design the technical architecture for Spotify. How do you prevent people from creating multiple accounts and taking advantage of promotional periods?   Answer Question
    • What do you find frustrating about windows?   Answer Question
    • What is one thing you would change about windows and how would you change it?   Answer Question
    • Who is a role model that is not related to you?   Answer Question
    • Why Microsoft instead of Google or Facebook?   Answer Question
    • If you had a million dollars for a startup what would your idea be?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was a first round interview--30 minutes long in person. Combination of behavioral and technical. What you would expect on the behavioral end--challenges, successes, handle disagreements, etc.. Technical was finding a palindrome in a string followed by how to implement a stack (which was worded confusingly so ask clarifying questions!) Haven't heard back yet.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Had a phone screen the next day. Response was quick and was asked to interview at Boston office the next week. The on campus interview lasted five hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

One of the unpleasant interviews that I had. First, the person did not prepare for an intreview and did not even checked my resume at all. She was not interested in my previous work experience or projects. She only cared how many lines of code I wrote. She was mixing up my answers all the time. I was very disappointed.

Interview Questions

• How many lines of code did you write in C#?   1 Answer
    • How many lines of code did you write in AngularJs?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2017.

Interview

Met Microsoft during an on-campus info session. Had the first round on-campus interview a month later. No coding was involved during the interview, more user experience design questions were asked.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2017.

Interview

Submitted my resume via a referral link. The interview was over Skype, which took about 40 minutes. The interviewer went straight into a series behavioral questions (without even asking me to introduce myself), followed by four more technical/product questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the most challenging project you've worked on? And follow-up questions on this project such as what is the biggest takeaway, etc.   Answer Question