Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Had an on Campus interview that consisted of a single design question.

Next was a Onsite in Redmond which featured a full day (9am till 6pm) with 5 interviews and a multitude of questions.

First interview was design based

Second interview was behavioral and asked a few technical design questions

Third interview was a "lunch" interview in which the interviewer ate and I was grilled on whiteboarding questions and design questions. Looking back I wish I had taken more time to eat as after this interview I really lost steam.

Fourth interview was technical and design based. Asked about data and data trends and asked to design a toolbar.

Next i was informed that I had a 90 minute break before my final interview, gave me time to walk around the campus and get my wits together

Fifth interview was the team manager and was behavioral, technical, and design focused. Ended up going for about an hour and a half and was absolutely exhausting. Looking back I honestly dont even remember some of the answers I gave because I was so exhausted. Figured that i blew it here and was convinced I didnt get the job.

Two days later I got a call from my recruiter and was thrilled to hear that I got the position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Didn't hear anything back after a good experience with the recruiter at the engineering career fair in the fall, but after meeting with some Microsoft reps at a Women in CS conference in February, I was encouraged to reach out to my campus recruiter again with my updated resume. I sent it and got a reply back in hours as well as an on-campus interview!
    Met with a dev who's been at the company for 19 years and graduated from my alma mater. Friendly and very dad-like. Was expecting at least one coding question or questions based on my resume (or courses that I had taken) but a lot of emphasis on networks, for some reason.

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Everyone I spoke with during the phone interview process was very professional and welcoming. The process was well managed with consistent communication. I had a phone interview with the Recruiter and Hiring Manager. The Recruiter was extremely gracious when communicating that I would not be moving forward with the next steps of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with program budgets and financial modeling.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY).

Interview

Very smooth, I was in touch with a recruiter and he helped me throughout the entire process. He helped me schedule my interviews and answered all my questions. He was able to work with my fairly busy schedule.

Interview Questions

• Questions that tested my knowledge on product design, understanding customer needs, technical background, etc.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

On campus interview, followed by fly out rounds with multiple teams on main campus. Each team had different questions and assessed different aspects - coding skills (minimal focus), design skills (heavy focus), systems and processes (medium focus)

Interview Questions

• Brain teasers (light bulbs in the room, switches outside)
      Estimation (how many red cars in Chicago)
      Design - e.g an elevator system for a high rise
      Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2016.

Interview

The first interview went well. I introduced myself to the Microsoft recruiter and delivered my 30 second elevator pitch. Questions and answers were exchanged. Ensure to dress business casual or in a suit depending on applied position. Go with confidence and be prepared.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

1. Met recruiter at University campus career fair
    2. Had university campus on-site interview for about 30-45 minutes
    3. Flown out to Redmond, WA for a full day of interviews.
    4. Received candidacy update one week later

There is no correct method for preparing for this interview. It was evident that Microsoft valued unique answers and perspectives. However, it is fundamental to have solid problem solving, analytical, technical (coding), and 'people' skills for this position. No offer, but a great experience for future interviews to come as I graduate college.

If flown out to Redmond, prepare for a long day of interviews. I started the morning very solid with my answers, but became slower and tired in my last round where I was asked very important questions. Practice talking *a lot*.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did an on campus interview with them. Only had 30 minutes to talk to them. The first half was standard behavioral questions, then I was asked conceptual technical questions and 1 product design question.

Interview Questions

• Explain the internet to a 5 year old   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

After being referred for a PM internship, I interviewed on my college campus. This was a brief, 30-minute interview, which consisted of a few behavioral questions and one coding question on the whiteboard. It was a relatively simple question about sorting characters in an array. Overall, it wasn't too difficult, but I flubbed the whiteboard question. Fortunately, I realized my mistake and told it to my interviewer (this was when most of the interview time was up, so there was no time to correct it on the board).

A few weeks later, I heard that I had passed the first round, but PM internships for that summer were full. My recruiter encouraged me to contact her the following Fall, when I was interviewing for full-time roles. I did, and I went straight to final rounds in Redmond that Fall.

My onsite was one of the "interview circuit" days, where 70-80 people (all interviewing for different roles) were interviewed at the same time. Most people had 3-4 interviews. It was hectic and nervewracking, but Microsoft took care of all the logistics, and all of the interviewers were very energetic, friendly, and conversational. In fact, I can easily say this was the most fun day of onsite interviews I've ever had. All of my questions for onsites were behavioral / experience and design questions, which was slightly surprising. I expected a coding question or two.

Just before lunch, a recruiter pulled me aside and asked if I was available for a fifth interview. (Make sure you clear your schedule for the whole day for an onsite.) This last one was with a Group Program Manager at Microsoft, and just like the other interviewers, he was friendly, energetic, and conversational. He asked a few experience and behavioral questions, and we ended the day with an interesting design question.

I interviewed on a Friday, and on the following Tuesday I got a phone call from my recruiter, saying that I would receive an offer!

Overall, it was a wonderful, challenging, and fun experience. There was a lot of dead time when my recruiter was waiting to hear back from various departments to schedule a phone screen, hear back from the interviewers from phone screen, submit me for final rounds, schedule final rounds, get airfare for final rounds, etc. Aside from all the waiting, the interview process was extremely smooth, and really, genuinely fun.

Interview Questions

• A few technical questions might come up, but behavioral, experience, and design questions were by far and away more important. I prepared with Cracking the PM Interview, and that worked really well.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2016.

Interview

On-campus interview. No coding questions. The interviewer was nice. Asked a few scenario questions and why Microsoft... helped lead you in the right direction if needed.

Still waiting for a response on the interview...

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Microsoft and why Program Manager?   Answer Question
    • If you have team and two features with the same deadline - for example, the calling feature and the texting feature for the phone. How would you manage the team? He later gave hints to explain that there are also investor meetings every few months etc...   1 Answer
    • If you have to choose between two features, how do you go about it when both of the people have been working on the feature for many months... essentially you don't want to hurt their feelings etc... or more accurately he meant that you might be pushing a feature from your group and another PM will push their own feature, how will you present yours so that yours is selected, etc...   Answer Question