Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 11, 2017

3.3

445 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied through college or university. I got an on campus interview call 1 week later. The interview was 30 minutes and was mostly behavioral in nature. After that I got contacted that I had passed the first round but they did not have enough seats for the second round, so they are still waiting.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to pursue a PM role?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied through the University career site. Got a call about a month later, asking if I'd still be interested in the position. Scheduled a phone interview within the next 2 days.
    After a week, got a mail from them saying I was selected for the on-site round in Redmond, Washington. They flew me from Boston, provided great accommodation, food and sight-seeing budget. So the experience was pretty sweet.

Phone interview was a lot about my resume and a case-based question.

The On-site was 4 back-to-back interviews one of them being a lunch interview, with Program Managers at different buildings. A lot of product development , soft skills based and case based questions.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

At a conference, I met someone from Microsoft who felt strongly that I should apply, so I gave them my resume and they sent it in with themselves as a reference. I also went to a Microsoft private party that night with a few dozen other potential candidates and networked. Didn't hear anything back for a little while so I shot in an email and that got the ball rolling since I had other deadlines coming up. I had a phone call with a recruiter and was asked some basic system design questions and background/behavioural questions. The next week, they told me they were sending me to final round/on campus interviews. They took care of all of the flight details/hotel/rental car/food etc. Went in for interviews at 8 am and had my first interview at 9. Had 4 back-to-back interviews that were each 1 hour long. All of them were super pleasant and more like conversations than interviews. I was able to ask a lot of questions and also asked difficult ones to really make sure that I would like it there as well, and everything was answered honestly and seemingly transparently. The interviewers are good at letting you relax so you won't be too nervous once you're actually in the room talking with them. I had a deadline the next day so they called me about an hour and a half after the interviews were over and gave me my offer. I think it normally takes a week or two to hear back.

Interview Questions

• What trends can you find from such and such data? (not technical, just generally understanding big data)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

Series of 1:1 interviews at different office locations throughout the day. Some very friendly conversations, others were more challenging and definitely felt like a test. Was a little confusing trying to figure out my next location without a chaperone.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about estimating the number of gas stations in the USA?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

The on campus interview was just a conversation about my experience and my resume, followed by a technical coding question.

The on site interview was 4 back to back interviews with members from the Cloud and Azure team. When you schedule your on site interview you will either get the first or second half of the day for interviews. In my opinion if you can get the first half of the day, it is much better because the interviewers are still fresh and after you finish interviews at lunch time you can go explore Seattle for the rest of the day.

Tips:
    1. Read through Cracking the PM interview, and solve some example problems
    2. Practice your coding skills (data structures and algorithms), PMs at Microsoft are expected to have strong technical skills
    3. Know why people want to work as a PM at Microsoft instead of Google or other major tech companies

Timeline:
    Recruiter contacted through LinkedIn
    On campus interview 1 week later.
    Heard back next day.
    Scheduled on site for two weeks away.
    I heard back within 2 days of interview that I had an offer.
    Negotiation took 1 week.

Interview Questions

• Design the technical architecture for Spotify. How do you prevent people from creating multiple accounts and taking advantage of promotional periods?   Answer Question
    • What do you find frustrating about windows?   Answer Question
    • What is one thing you would change about windows and how would you change it?   Answer Question
    • Who is a role model that is not related to you?   Answer Question
    • Why Microsoft instead of Google or Facebook?   Answer Question
    • If you had a million dollars for a startup what would your idea be?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Campus recruiter offered me an interview the following week we met during the career fair. The on-campus interview was half an hour long with a mix of behavioral, technical and product design questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you identify the last number of a linked list that has no null value at the end which points somewhere in between   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was a first round interview--30 minutes long in person. Combination of behavioral and technical. What you would expect on the behavioral end--challenges, successes, handle disagreements, etc.. Technical was finding a palindrome in a string followed by how to implement a stack (which was worded confusingly so ask clarifying questions!) Haven't heard back yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

One of the unpleasant interviews that I had. First, the person did not prepare for an intreview and did not even checked my resume at all. She was not interested in my previous work experience or projects. She only cared how many lines of code I wrote. She was mixing up my answers all the time. I was very disappointed.

Interview Questions

• How many lines of code did you write in C#?   1 Answer
    • How many lines of code did you write in AngularJs?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. Had a phone screen the next day. Response was quick and was asked to interview at Boston office the next week. The on campus interview lasted five hours.

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2017.

Interview

Met Microsoft during an on-campus info session. Had the first round on-campus interview a month later. No coding was involved during the interview, more user experience design questions were asked.