Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2015.

Interview

After resume shortlisting, had one on campus interview for around 30 minutes. Qualified after that ,went to Redmond for an onsite interview. Had 3 rounds. The team was Office. They looked after Office365 and Skype mainly. All rounds started with brief introduction about them followed by questions on my resume and then getting on to the coding problem.

Interview Questions

• Given a character 2D array, find an input string is present or not. (Like crossword puzzle) The string lettershad to be in a straight line.   1 Answer
  • Given two rectangles, find if overlapping or not?   1 Answer
  • Return sum of the largest two numbers in an array. (or largest sum of 2 nos)   1 Answer
  • Find the collision point of 2 linked lists   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Was asked multiple question about improving the complexity of one question. The interviewer only gave me positive feedback and I asked him if the answer I gave him made sense to him, to which he answered "yes". Still I got a rejection email saying "I'm not a good fit". Discussed it with some friends and it made sense to them also but I don't what else the interviewer was looking for in a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Find the first unique character in a string. Improve complexity   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Four different employees interviewed me. They walked me around to each office where I met the next interviewer. Free transportation between buildings on their campus and in the city. All very nice and friendly. Got free swag and free food. Their campus is really nice.

Interview Questions

• Serialize a tree to send over a network.   1 Answer
    • Ways to print a singly-linked list in reverse order. Advantages/disadvantages.   2 Answers
    • Given a number (e.g.: 427) find the largest possible number from its digits (e.g.: 742)   1 Answer
    • Find the maximum product of 3 numbers in a list.   3 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied through college career fair in the college. Got a call for an interview almost 2-3 weeks later for an in college interview. The interviewer was very friendly not their to grill the student. The interviewer helped through the entire process of reaching the solution. Overall positive experience. Got a reject via mail 2-3 weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Find and replace in a document.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2016.

Interview

Dropped resume at career fair and was contacted for on-campus interview a few days later. Only a 30 minute scheduled interview. First question was straightforward. Second question was purely conceptual and my explanation wasn't as smooth so that's what probably did it for me. Otherwise the interviewer was laid back and nice to talk with.

Interview Questions

• Given a list of objects, each with a unique hashcode, how would you find a duplicate? What if the list was so large that it didn't fit on one computer?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied for a job on the Microsoft careers site for a job in the Microsoft New York office (I need to stay in New York), and they gave me a programming test to do. After taking the programming test, I got contacted for an in person interview in Redmond, not in New York. After thanking them and explaining that I can't relocate, they contacted me again for a phone interview for a job in Washington DC. After explaining again that I'm not able to relocate and that the job I was applying for is in the New York office, they told me someone else would contact me. Then, I got another message stating that I should have applied for a job in New York if I was unable to relocate, which is what I did in the first place. Microsoft's HR department is pretty disorganized.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to relocate for this job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2015.

Interview

I was asked a little about past projects, and then given a reasonable algorithms question. I felt like I answered it correctly and with the best possible solution, but I did not receive a second interview. Maybe a little feedback on any mistakes I made would have been helpful.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 to 6 interviews single day 1 hour each. Coding-based. You have to code on the whiteboard. Prepare data structures, algorithms, writing code. The first 3-4 decide if the hiring manager is going to interview you. Out of the first 3-4, you need to try to nail them all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

Lots of candidates, lots of rounds. The managers did a good job of shepherding around the candidates but it was easy to feel lost in a room of 100 people. In addition, it was frustrating that not a lot of the people who you talk to say anything more about their job than "I work on the Bing team" and general stuff like that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2014.

Interview

Flown up to MS office in Seattle in a hotel for 3 days. The experience itself was nice but the method of interviewing wasn't that great. The interviewers are from specific teams so getting hired is a crapshoot as the team may be hiring 1 or 8 people and it totally depends. Also there is no committee or discussion so it is dependent on whether the specific interviewer liked you.

Interview Questions

• How would you create a 20 questions game   1 Answer
    • Find greatest triplet sum   1 Answer