Microsoft Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 8, 2017

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 to 6 interviews single day 1 hour each. Coding-based. You have to code on the whiteboard. Prepare data structures, algorithms, writing code. The first 3-4 decide if the hiring manager is going to interview you. Out of the first 3-4, you need to try to nail them all.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I had the interview on campus, the interviewer was really cool and friendly, went straight to business asking me about what language I liked best, then onto technical questions. I also asked about his intern experience and he shared his stories with me. He typed my responses the whole time which made me a little nervous, but he had to do that.

Interview Questions

• Merge two sorted linked list into one sorted one and what is the time and space complexity?   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in December 2016.

Interview

Referral by a Employee and contacted by a recruiter in 3 weeks to schedule a interview. The interview was about 30 mins. I talked to a recruiter and she asked several behavioral questions and a brain tester. Not sure how I did. Has been two weeks and did not get back to me.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

4 data structure and algorithm questions. You can do it on the whiteboard. Interviewers were very friendly. I liked them in general. I recommend the company to my friends. Wish there was less politics involved.

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was asked about my projects and interests in the company, and i was then given a technical coding question. I am currently waiting to find out whether I passed through for stage 2 or not. Interviewer was friendly and technical question was fair.

Interview Questions

• Given an int array with values that contain different heights in order, figure out the largest area of the rectangular shapes the values make. Afterwards asked about the efficiency of the algorithm i made.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied through university recruiting portal. Had an on-campus interview that went very well, and was bumped directly to an on-site interview for the next interview round (for the next summer as they had already filled up for that year). (disclaimer, my college is heavily recruited from.)

The on site interview was very fun. I believe the only MS dev office in north america is currently Redmond, and everyone I know who applies goes on-site there. Flown in before the interview and given ample time to explore the Seattle area (you could request a car for the duration of your stay if you wished).

The on-site interview itself involved staying for 4 hours of interviewing (plus 1 for lunch) with a number of other interviewees (but all interviews are private). Relaxed atmosphere and got a free hoodie at the end which is always nice.

Interview Questions

• Expect the standard questions you would expect from an interviewer in a certain area. For example, if you're being interviewed by someone from Bing, you should know algorithms. If by Windows, systems questions... Very standard.   1 Answer

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, passed the first half-tech-half-non-tech phone screening. It was basic "walk me through your resume" and "talk about a project" and "what if you were a leader of a team and two team member have problem, how would you solve it". Technical part wasn't hard, simple puzzles. Then I was invited to their center for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• find duplicates in an array with space efficiency   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I submitted my resume at an event and was contacted by a recruiter for a 30-minute on-campus interview a week later. The interview was scheduled for the next day. Everyone was friendly and questions were primarily about my resume. I also had one whiteboard coding question centered on binary trees.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest concept for you to learn in your favorite programming language and explain it to me   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2016.

Interview

My resume was somehow given to a Microsoft representative. I'm still not sure how. I was emailed and called to ask to interview in the next few days. There was only one technical question with about 15-20 minutes to solve it. Overall I was very thankful for the process and the experience.

Interview Questions

• Given a graph, how would you visit every node only once (without visiting any previous nodes)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

It was an on campus interview asking basic algorithm and data structure questions. I think the Difficulty level was medium. You need to speak about your experience and past projects and code on paper or white board. It was my first tech interview so I did not have much practice. Could have gone better if I was more confident and experienced