Microsoft Software Development Engineer In Test/SD Summer Internship Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer In Test/SD Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in May 2012.

Interview

I submitted my CV via a Microsoft presentation at my university and got a follow-up email a couple of weeks later.
PHONE INTERVIEW:
First part of the interview was by phone, and I actually interviewed for a Program Manager position. Initially, the questions were behavioral (i.e. What do you like about programming? What's a problem that you've solved? Illustrate a problem that was solved as a team). The PM technical questions that were asked were mostly logical reasoning (i.e. if you owned a custom shoe store, what questions would you ask the customer in order to ascertain their needs?).

I was flown to Sydney about 6 months later for the 2nd round interviews which was for a SDET/SDE internship.
1:1 INTERVIEW
Overall, I interviewed with 4 people, roughly 45 mins each. In between interviews, whilst the interviewers discussed the candidates, we (a group of 5) were shown a presentation about Microsoft. Interviews consisted of a behavioural question (i.e. what's a programming project that you've done?) followed by 2-3 technical questions (i.e. given an array of negative and positive numbers, give an algorithm to find the sequence that gives the largest sum. What are some interfaces of a vending machine and how do they interact with each other?). It was concluded by a general 'is there anything you'd like to ask me?'. Prepare questions beforehand!

After the 4 interviews, we were told results straightaway.

TIPS:
- Ask a lot of clarification questions, in order to narrow down the problem. It might help to repeat the question back to the interviewer.
- Vocalize everything you do, even if it's something you don't plan on using (e.g. "My first thought is to use an array, but although it has O(1) for retrieval, it can be inefficient as we don't know the number of elements and would potentially need to constantly re-size.")
- Admit you don't know something if you're stuck
- Show that you're passionate about programming/working at Microsoft

Overall it was very positive, the interviewers were very helpful and genuine.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of positive and negative numbers, give an algorithm that would find the sequence of numbers that give the largest sum. The numbers have to be in sequential order.   2 Answers