Microsoft Program Manager II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Microsoft Program Manager II Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2017

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

5 rounds of interviews starting at 9am. 4 interviews were 1 hour each, there was a 1.5 hours lunch interview with 2 people. It was rather relaxed and focused. Many of the questions had to do with decision making in stressful and ambiguous situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
  • Technical questions regarding knowledge of the industry and current trends (malware role)   2 Answers

Negotiation

Very difficult to negotiate. I ended up taking what they offered.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

Very good, four interviews with the team. Technical and non-technical questions. Personal questions were asked, benefits were explained and very good process overall. All interviews was done in over two days, since I couldnt be onsite the interview was done over Skype for Business.

Interview Questions

• How would I price a new product in Azure   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

Had a series of questions posed via phone screen with a recruiter. Received lots of encouragement that things were going great.
    Then had several 1:1 in person interviews. One seemed to be setup to cause friction and the feedback given was complete nonsense. The hiring manager noted that it just seemed like the person had something against me. The interviewer was on a competing team and my team was looking to supplant their work.

Interview Questions

• Project management methods.
      Experience with PMBOK
      Adaptability
      Learning process
      Desire to work for Microsoft
      Answer Question

Program Manager II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was not too bad. The process took about 3 weeks from A to Z. We managed to agree to a feasible salary in three negotiation iteration. Many people had similar experience when they were first hired to the company.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

two days of onsite, one hour 1-1 including lunch and a job talk;
    Met with employees at several levels of the org, both within the group and in adjacent groups. Met with assistant to VP and speech writer. Gave a presentation on ten tech trends and delivered case studies on previous projects.

Interview Questions

• How have you navigated a corporate hierarchy?   2 Answers
    • How do you track industry trends   1 Answer
    • tell us about an internal conflict you had to resolve   1 Answer
    • what trends are going to be most important in the next five years   1 Answer
    • How would you structure a project around envisioning for a future technology   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Interviewed with 5 people none in person all were over the phone as the most of the team located outside of the Puget Sound.
    The questions they asked were pretty basic since it was an internal move.

Interview Questions

• Why do I think I am qualified for the role?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me with a program manager opportunity on her team. She asked if I would be interested in a technical phone screen with the hiring manager. One week later, I spoke to the hiring manager and he described the opportunity and asked about my background. The meeting was scheduled for 60 minutes but we talked for 90. Great conversation.

Recruiter called me back one week later and mentioned the team was interested in having an in-house interview. The position needed to be filled quickly so the onsite interview was scheduled for the following week.

On the day of the interview - I was scheduled for 4, one on one interviews (HR, dev manager, Sr. PM, and Group Manager). The first being the HR manager who asked typical HR questions. The second interview was with the development manager who focused on my technical background and had me solve a problem the team was actively working on. I then met with the hiring manager who I had previously spoken to. I answered a few design questions on the white board before heading to the cafeteria for lunch. My last scheduled interview was with the group manager who was very personable and wanted to know my work experience/background and wanted to know my reason for wanting to work with Microsoft. Near the end of the 60 minutes, the group manager looked at his email and let me know I had one more interview that day. He escorted me down to the reception area and I would meet with another person in 90 minutes. Turns out it was the Division Manager, I guess things were going well. After the interview, I was lead to the lobby and told I would hear from HR within 5-10 days.

Overall, the team had a great dynamic and were very outgoing and encouraging. They were very eager to answer questions and tell me the great benefits of working with Microsoft.

The HR manager called me back within 3 days and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What's my favorite website? What do I like about it? How would I improve it?   Answer Question
    • Describe something within my career that I was most proud of? What did I learn from the process? How would I have made it better?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2011.

Interview

The interview is typically conducted through an entire day. Expect to meet 4-7 team members, for about an hour with each person. If all goes well you will meet someone called 'As Appropriate' or AA. If everyone on your interview team okayed you but you did not impress the AA you can be denied the role. The recruiter usually gets back to you on the results of the interview within a week's time or even less.

Interview Questions

• How do you design a shuttle system for using within the Microsoft campus   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

The interviewer is very friendly, he asked two questions, one is problem solving and the other is design problem: 1. what is the angle between minute hand and hour hand when time is x hour and y minute. 2. Design the expedia for airport. These are all traditional interview questions and the second round for the PM intern position is on-site interview at Seattle headquarter. Microsoft is a very generous company!

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

Since I was in Europe I had four online meetings via Lync. The first three were with the Program Manager Leads and they gave me a real world problem that could be solved in different ways. I had to go through the process to get to a solution. That included asking questions to stakeholders, brainstorming and coming up with a solution.

It was fun to do the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No room for negotiation