Ross Stores Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.0

1. Featured Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Olympia, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied July 2017, I was called for interview a month later in August.
    My interview was conducted in the morning just after the store opened. The hiring manager interviewed me on the sales floor next to the entrance and registers.
    It lasted less than 15min. I was relieved this manager was not bothered that my daughter was with me in her stroller, I don't have childcare except during my husbands off hours from his job. I could tell this manager was multitasking, managing employees by walkie talkie while also interviewing me. I was naturally nervous but this manager was personable and easy to converse with once I got to talk to her.

Interview Questions

• If you do not have childcare, how will you ensure you can make it to each scheduled shift?   1 Answer

Ross Stores Response

Jun 11, 2018

Thank you for your review! Your comments reflect what our company values most- our people. Our managers work hard to lead effective teams and run their store; and sometimes the job requires them... More

Corporate Office Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Pleasanton, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

The hiring process and interview process were fairly standard. I had a telephone interview with a recruiter, several one on one interviews with various team members and management.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult or unexpected. Just make sure to research the company and know about the business.   Answer Question

Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The whole process was very long from start to finish. I had to take a retail math exam and then interview with HR. The HR person was very nice and attentive. Unfortunately there was no follow up on their end if I got the job or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe your past experience and why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in August 2009.

Interview

Hiring manager was sincere and helpful along the interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Interviewed by HR and than later on I was supposed to be interviewed by Location Planner Manager and District Merchandise Manager, but it never happened. The HR asked questions in regard to my college and major background, work experience and responsibilities, why Ross, why Location Planning Analyst, why Retail, retail experience, strength and weakness, difficult project that you have worked on, who you are interviewing with, how you are creative and your microsoft word and excel experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

Was a very long process. Had an interview at my school back in November. Someone contacted me in May to set up a phone interview with someone in HR. Went well, had another phone interview with someone from the planning department and then they asked me to come in for an in person interview in NYC. Asked all the same questions. Didn't get the job.

Planning Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ross Stores (New York, NY) in January 2009.

Interview

Simple retail math test, very casual conversational interview with HR. Second round with two managers and a senior manager, whom I eventually ended up working for. Also relaxed, standard behaviorals.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None, internship

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (The Woodlands, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

Well first of all it took three weeks to get a response via phone from their HR department. After the phone interview my resume was forwarded to the woodlands location where I had and interview two weeks later. I was told my interview went well and that my information was going to be forwarded back to HR and distributed to the Ross locations in my area. About two weeks later I receive an email stating that the company was going with a more experienced applicant--all at once? at all the stores in my surrounding area (5 stores)?--I have 14 years of retail experience, 8 years in supervisory position, 2 as store manager, and 1 as an assistant manager (my current employment). During the interview I was asked if I would be willing to take a department head position and train to become an assistant manager and I obliged. I was asked why I was leaving my current position and I answer that I am not offered any benefits where I am now and my husband and I are looking to have a child. I dont know why I was not hired I feel like I have been discriminated against but I can not put my finger on what has made they turn me down. The last time I was in a Ross the sales associates were making fun of customers while they were checking people out and the dress room attendant did not speak English. All I have to say is even if you nail the interview and have all the qualifications they may shut you down totally for no reason at all, so dont think you have the position in the bag.

Interview Questions

• They didnt ask to many questions just what I would accept in pay (11 per hour) for a department supervisor which I said I would take happily for a chance to work my way up within the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Very Quick and straight forward, felt very confident during the interview, great interviewing manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation

pretty much just a take it or leave it situation for me

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Oak Brook, IL) in September 2012.

Interview

Applied on-line after seeing an ad on a job board. Received an email the next day from a recruiter for Ross, wanting to schedule a phone interview with me. The phone interview was scheduled for 2 days out in the afternoon. Was sent a calendar in my email so I could pick which block of time worked best for me.

Phone interview was pretty straight forward. What did I know about Ross, why did I want to work for them, what were my current/previous management responsibilities. Lasted approximately 15 - 20 minutes, tops. Recruiter then said she'd send me an invite for the Job Fair they were having, and to respond to it to confirm.

Received the email that had a date and a time set up for the interview. It was in a hotel about 45 minutes away. Arrived to the hotel, was pointed in the direction of the conference room they were hosting in, and upon arrival I checked in. Was given a booklet and a print-out of the job description they were going to interview me for.

Waited about 10 minutes until one of the HR reps there interviewed me. Was about 45 minutes long, standard stuff. Was then asked to stay and interview with a DM. Interview with the DM lasted approx. 15 minutes, was more standard stuff.

Left the job fair, received an email from the recruiter thanking me for showing up, asked me to fill out a survey about my experience, then said they'd be in touch in 7 - 10 days with information about the next step.

Interview Questions

• A fair amount of "what ifs...?" were asked, like "What if you had to give performance evaluations, what time-frame would you have for follow-up?" or "What if you had to supervise an employee that wasn't putting forth their best effort, how would you handle it?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ross Stores (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

I applied for the assistant store manager online and Ross called me 3 weeks later. The first interview was at my school, the second interview was at one of the store. They called me after 2 weeks to meet up at Starbucks and told me I was hire, we then went over my benefits.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had conflict with your peer and you had to make a change about the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me the position and gave me 2 weeks to think about it. After 2 weeks I signed the paper and drop it off at the office.