Travelers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

3.1

Claims Representative Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Travelers (Orlando, FL).

Interview

I applied in July and was officially hired at the end of August with a start date in September. This is a very intense interview process, but I believe wholeheartedly it will be worth it. It begins with a brief phone screening with a hiring manager. If you are recommended, you will have to take a test in the office (lasts approx. 3-4 hours depending on if you take breaks in between each section). I heard back that very same day and was scheduled for an interview about a week later. After the first interview, I heard back I believe a week later and was scheduled for a second interview. Took about another week to hear back for the verbal offer. The background then took another week until I was cleared and given official offer.
    Everyone I met throughout this process has been kind and welcoming. I'm unsure how to give tips on studying for the test and I don't want to give wrong information so I will skip that part. I would strongly recommend anyone who is interviewing to STUDY and prepare yourself for behavioral-based interview questions. Review your employment history beforehand and try to think of examples as to how it can relate to the position you are interviewing for. Also make sure to review Travelers itself, you'll want to make sure you're familiar with the background of the company and the reputation. I studied quite a bit before each interview. Again, everyone I met and have spoken with have been incredibly friendly and I am excited to begin this journey. Good luck to you all!

Interview Questions

• Research behavioral -based interview questions and study those.   Answer Question

Field Appraiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Hartford, CT).

Interview

I had 3 interviews, one phone, 2 in person. The inpersons were both done the same day. The process was about a month start to finish, but I have no complaints. My interviewers were warm and friendly. Be prepared to answer questions in the STAR format. They do require drug testing once the position is offered and acceptes.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were asked to do something that made you uncomfortable, and did you do it?   Answer Question

Caims Center Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers in September 2017.

Interview

The process starts with a telephone interview asking a series of questions (Approximately 30). If you do well you are invited to do a 3 hour cognitive test on site.

Interview Questions

• First question was about your availability for the position?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers.

Interview

Probably one of the most intense interview processes I've gone through, but it was worth it.

First, I was contacted by a recruiter. We briefly discussed the position and my experience.

Next, I was scheduled to take a 3 hour long assessment. I was applying for a position in a different state, so they were kind enough to let me take the assessment at a local Travelers office. The assessment included a typing test, writing a letter, math problems, personality questions. It wasn't that difficult and I was able to finish every section within the allotted time. I got an email the next day letting me know I had passed.

After that, an interview was scheduled with 2 managers in the claims department. Once again since I was in a different state than the position I applied for, they let me do a video interview at the local Travelers office. The questions were formatted in the STARS method. They asked about my experience and had a lot of situational questions. It was pretty intense and I couldn't really read their reactions to gage how I was doing...

After the video interview I sat with one of the employees in the claims department and shadowed him for about 30 mins. Be sure to ask a lot of questions!

A few days later I got another email to schedule a 2nd interview with an HR manager. We ended up doing a phone interview, and they asked similar situational questions and had me discuss my experience.

The following week I was offered the position, and had to do the drug test and background check. The whole process took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to give some difficult news to a customer   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers.

Interview

There are three interviews that I participated in after successfully passing the test. The first interview was informal over lunch. The next interview was with the regional manager and his supervisor and it was followed with an HR interview. After the interview was completed you meet with a person in the current role and are allowed to see some of the process and ask additional questions. This is an all day event.

Interview Questions

• How have you reacted when offered gratuities in a previous position and how did you feel about it ethically?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers.

Interview

Initial contact is with someone from talent acquisition. They do the preliminary questions to see if you are right for the job and tell you what is expected of you in your role. If they think you are qualified you will then get an interview with the managing director and someone else in your department. The process can take a few months and you must take a drug test (payed by Travelers) and they will run a background check on you verifying prior employment, driving history, etc. I applied/interviewed a couple times prior to getting the job. I have worked at several insurance companies and Travelers is by far the one with the longest interview and hiring process.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Travelers?   1 Answer

Outside Property Claims Representative Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers (Richardson, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Filled out application for a position that had a two month old post date. Recruiter ask you standard questions to see if you are a good fit. They schedule you for assessment which ws easy, pretty standard questions. Then they allow you to interview with 2 managers. Standard STAR questions which I felt I aced. After the interview was told they still had to interview more people and will get back to me. After a week never got any feedback and left messages with recruiter and interviewer.

Claims Adjuster - Auto Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers (Orlando, FL) in August 2017.

Interview

Recieved an email within a week to set up a telephone interview. Telephone interview was about 30 minutes. Invited on the call for the Assessment and possible face to face interview if Assessment passed. Went to Assessment, standard data entry, comprehension, english/math skills. Passed the assessment and moved onto interview. Had interview with two manager who were very nice and engaging. The interview was done via the STAR method. Situational questions. Now waiting to hear if I get an offer.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to make a tough decision and what steps did you take to make that decision.   Answer Question

Outside Property Claims Representative Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelers (Charlotte, NC) in August 2017.

Interview

First you set up a phone interview which basically consists of the person explaining the job and then asking some basic questions regarding yourself and your work history. I don't think many people fail this, and basically if you get called you'll end up being moved on to the assessment test. The assessment isn't bad at all. As long as you can do basic math, read maps, and can read an insurance policy, you'll do just fine. After the assessment, you will sit down with someone that does property claims. This is the opportunity to ask questions. They will ask about your work history, experience with insurance, etc. This is sort of a pre-interview, so do your best to impress with the questions. After that, you'll sit down before 2 or more people and begin the more formal interview where they will ask a lot of questions based on the star format. The questions aren't hard, however do your best to give good examples. Unfortunately for me, a lot of the questions I actually answered within the first few questions, which sort of left them fumbling to try and figure out more questions to ask (they have a sheet that gives them the questions to ask). Prior to the interview, I was talking with some of the other candidates that were interviewing at the same time, and I learned that one of the guys had some people talking for him. It's to my understanding that he got the job, which really bummed me out because I really wanted the job and had actually done some prior studying for property claims and am working towards getting certified on my own. He had actually told us that he only put in for the job because of the people he knew pushing him to do so, and that he really wasn't even looking to get into insurance prior to that. I know that's how it works sometimes, but it still puts a bad taste in your mouth when you really want something but get passed up for someone who is doing it just because. With that said, I do hope another opportunity arises and that I get the chance to apply again. I think I'd really enjoy working here if given the chance, and there is no doubt I'd be one of the hardest workers that they've ever hired.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to make a quick decision?
      Name a time where you made a decision that was the wrong decision? What were the consequences?
      Why do you want to work at Travelers?
      What do you know about Travelers?
      Tell us about your contributions to your employer, What have you done to make things better?
      *Some of these aren't word for word, but pretty close*   Answer Question

Catastrophe Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenwood, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelers (Greenwood, IN) in August 2017.

Interview

The hiring process is fairly quick (I came from government work where nothing is fast). I submitted my application at the end of July. I was called in about a week by a corporate recruiter. We spent about 15 minutes on phone and he set me up to take the assessments at my local travelers office.

The assessments are about 3 hours. If you did well on the SATs then these tests aren't that hard. It's basic math, reading, critical thinking type tests. I was called about a week later by a manager and interviews were setup for the next week.

Now, the interviews are long and intense. I was there for 4 hours! My first interview was two unit managers. It's all "give me a time when...." and what qualities do you like in a supervisor". After awhile ( like others have said), you feel like you're repeating the same things. Thankfully, the two managers were laid back and good humored so we talked about other things too.
    After that interview (1 hour 30 mins), I was on a conference call with a catastrophic adjuster out in the field. We spent about 45 minutes talking about life at travelers and life of a CAT adjuster. Lastly, I was placed on a conference call with a regional director in Kansas. He asked basically the same questions as the first interview. It was about 45-60 minutes long.

I left the interviews feeling pretty well about it. A week later the recruiter who called me in the first place, called me and said I had the job ! We went over salary, benefits etc.
    I had to do a drug test and background check. I'm looking forward to this position and working at travelers.

Note:
    This is a big company folks! Not every office in every state is going to act the same or have the same kind of people. I can only speak about the people I met in my local office during the process. They were friendly and professional especially the CAT folks.
    This brings me to the CAT position! Be prepared to travel ! I mean like 180+ days a year traveling weeks at a time. This is not travel as in you are barely working and have lots of free time. You won't have any!
    Be prepared to be asked and told about the travel involved with CAT about 10 times during the process. They want people who are dedicated to the travel and the position. They pay very well so they want the best.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when....

If a supervisor had to say your weakness and strong points they'd say....   Answer Question