Youth Villages Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The main goal is truly the mission statement; to help children and families live successfully (in 25 reviews)

• Got to work with some amazing, like-minded people who wanted to make a difference (in 16 reviews)

1. "Teacher counselor"

Pros

Great place to work great atmosphere

Cons

None the work is what you make it

2. "MST Therapist"

I worked at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Promotes from within, definitely room for growth
    Training is a priority

Cons

Travel time depending on area

3. "Teacher assitant"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Help assited with kids

Cons

When the get off task and hard to calm down

Advice to Management

I am a great worker that loves to work around kids and assit kids when anything they need assiting with ,behavior,homework ,and etc..

4. "Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable salary; mission to help youth in foster care

Cons

Incompetent supervisors, focus in numbers and income not compassion, unrealistic expectations

"Something for everyone"

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to collaborate and work with. Freedom to make your own choices. Good Benefits. Sign on bonus. Ability to make fast progress with youth. Flexible schedule.

Cons

The expectations of the Family Intervention Specialist are to great for one person to achieve with any longevity in the position. Burnout happens frequently and there is a high turnover of staff. Systems/program guidelines can create barriers for building rapport with youth.

Advice to Management

Create partnerships for community based work. Have one person in charge of pre-placement assessments and actually decide whether or not some kids are appropriate for our program or if they need a higher level of care. This would alleviate some high risk red flag cases from already taxed staff with on-call responsibilities.

"Horrible Company!!!"

Former Employee - MST Therapist in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - MST Therapist in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Youth Villages (More than a year)

Pros

Love the families you get to work with.

Cons

Company stole my vacation time when I left. I had 50 hours of vacation time that they did not pay. Hours are crazy and there is no work life balance here.

Advice to Management

Be more willing to stand up for your employees

"Pros outway cons."

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers - You will meet some of the best co-workers around. Hands down.

Training - most of how I do my current job is based on what I learned from the dedicated staff at YV.

The Kids - yes the can be troublesome but if you last more than five months then they will slowly come around, and they will be why you come in every day.

Pay/benefits: if you are in this job for the pay, then you are in the wrong line of work, however having said you are well compensated for the job you do.

Cons

The reshuffling of responsibilities. I worked with YV for a year and a half, during that time I had four different job roles and three different supervisors (in the same department). This was mainly because of the high turnover rate, and I am grateful for the opportunities, but a little more stability would not go unnoticed.

High turnover Rate. When I started in my department their where 7 of us, when I left only 1 of those people was the same.

Assault: due to the nature of the facility the kids will be uncomfortable around new people. However the number of times I went to the hospital for on the job injuries got to be too much to handle.

Advice to Management

Have supervisors teach about burnout, and how to avoid it.

If an employe has been assaulted treat it seriously (i.e., actually report it to the police)

Cameras everywhere - there were cameras in the main area of the dorms, but the stairwells + on the outside would also put staff at ease.

Keep doing what you’re doing with the kids; if it wasn’t for the numerous hospital visits, I would still be working for you.

Youth Villages Response

Mar 13, 2018 – Youth Villages

We appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback regarding your employment with our organization. We will be sharing your thoughts with our leadership teams. Thank you, and we wish you the... More

8. "I love the LifeSet program. I would highly suggest it."

Current Employee - LifeSet Specialist in Morristown, TN
    Current Employee - LifeSet Specialist in Morristown, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to work from home is the best pro. I love that seeing your kiddos can be front loaded and then you have the possibility to have an easier end of the week.

Cons

I truly don't have any cons really. Pay is something that always lacks a little in this field but I will say in comparison to other companies I make more here and love my job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are!

9. "Great place to earn licensure."

Current Employee - Crisis Counselor in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Crisis Counselor in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to get experience, great benefits. Youth village needs to encourage ongoing Training and help motivated workers move up in the company.

Cons

Rotating schedule required. It's hard to work rotating shifts and have a normal life long term. Encourage staff with praise helps too!

Advice to Management

Offer incentives for weekend only staff to attract week only staff with more experience.

10. "Don’t work in Oklahoma offices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible scheduling at times
    -Learned to never compromise my personal values for a job

Cons

-Vacation time is a joke. You have to work twice as long and hard the week before and the week after to catch up. Then they get mad when you work more than 40 hours.
    -14+ hours of travel time didn’t count as work time, got home at 2 a.m. and was told I still had to be in by 9 a.m. to get my hours
    -Sick time “we don’t really take sick days” when I had strep and the flu at the same time
    -Covering others clients especially last minute is frustrating...you don’t have a choice...you’re just told to figure it out
    -Some supervisors have less education and experience in the field than their team members
    -Belittling leadership
    -Too many meetings, trainings and supervision meetings
    -They discipline and/or write people up for dumb reasons
    -Leadership has potty mouths and attitude of superiority. I was told we all worked together as a team and it was a collaborative place....that’s a joke.
    -Gossip amongst leadership was outrageous
    -On-call sucks...didn’t get to count weekend check in as hours
    -Paperwork requirements and expectations constantly changing....
    -“I know this seems nit picky...you’re doing so good with paperwork but we have to have something to tell you to work on.”
    -The better you do your job, the more they give you...more clients, helping train new staff, etc
    -leadership did things to try to get others to quit
    -Bereavement policy is awful...couldn’t take bereavement unless it was a parent, sibling, spouse or child
    -Top heavy company
    -My regret....I didn’t stand up for myself or others because I knew how they treated people who did
    -It’s like they brainwash people and you don’t realize how bad it is until you get out
    -I would never recommend YV to anyone else...
    -A force for families....except all of our employees

Advice to Management

Get new leadership at all levels

Youth Villages Response

Mar 31, 2018 – Youth Villages

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Your comments will be seen by senior leadership, and we wish you well going forward.