Youth Villages Reviews | Glassdoor

Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a struggle (in 61 reviews)

• Extremely high turnover rate leads to unqualified or unworthy individuals to be promoted to supervisory roles (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hardest job I have ever loved"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my experience leadership are very supportive toward staff. Every supervisor I have had since joining YV has treated me with respect and as a peer rather than as a subordinate. They have encouraged my development as a clinician and as a leader. I feel valued and heard more now than in any prior professional setting. I appreciate the way the company invests in staff success. For example, I was able to complete my second Master's degree through the tuition reimbursement offered by Youth Villages. I am currently seeking licensure with support from YV. The multi-level clinical supervision structure ensures strong accountability and enables staff to serve youth and families with confidence. I appreciate Youth Villages' mission and values and how those are reflected in the work that we do daily. Helping youth and families to live successfully can be challenging but also quite rewarding.

Cons

The work we do is very demanding with regard to time and energy. Work life balance is definitely a challenge in this field. The rewards don't necessarily come in the form of financial compensation. Working in community based programs has put a lot of miles on my vehicles.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a culture of support and empowerment for staff. Celebrate and encourage staff contributions as often as possible.

Mar 10, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for this feedback! It's demanding work, but we're so pleased to be able to help specialist advance in their careers by earning master's degrees and attaining licensure! Congratulations!... More

2. "Supervisor"

I worked at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Great co-workers. Lots of room to grow and tons of experience with different clients.

Cons

Difficult to maintain work life balance.

3. "Good Work"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We do great work and comprehensive therapy for at risk youth

Cons

Becomes a way of life, not just a job

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on

4. "Great Mission - Good days and bad days"

I worked at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Great mission and you'll meet some of the best people you will ever work with. The work is hard but can be rewarding in emotional ways. Not monetary ways.

Cons

You expect for budgets to be routinely cut at a nonprofit but there should be some room for expansion, but there is not here. There is very little room for promotions, if any. You are just expected to shoulder more and more work. The schedule is not flexible at all so it is hard to have a family life.

Advice to Management

Remember you are in an age where people can do much of their work remotely and be just as efficient. Trust your workforce more.

5. "YV Review"

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist

Pros

I worked in the Worcester branch at YV. The company offers different trainings continuously to encourage their employees to grow and build a variety of skills that can be beneficial in several aspects. The staff is very supportive; supervisors are always extremely approachable and looking to make sure their employees are keeping a strong work life balance.

Cons

The cases can be overwhelming and it can be difficult to maintain that work life balance even with the additional support.

Jan 2, 2018 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback! We're very proud of our training process and the career advancement opportunities that Youth Villages offers our staff. Our family intervention specialists are on the... More

6. "Counselor"

Pros

Team based treatment approach. Rewarding work with youth and families.

Cons

Various barriers and resource issues to effectively do the job.

"The perfect job if you have a passion for helping others & if you pay attention to self-care"

Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Working at YV has been such a joy in my life! Being on the frontline and having a direct impact on the lives of the families we serve is incredibly fulfilling. Each day is different and we get to make our own schedules. We are provided with laptops to do documentation in the field which is so helpful and makes admission sessions more efficient. We are reimbursed for gas expenses and cell phone expenses. Leadership is phenomenal- my supervisor has been a key player in my positive experience at YV. We have weekly one-on-one development meetings and she is always there if i have a question, concern or if I need emotional support. There are so many trainings that are offered for free to add to your professional development.

Cons

The work we do can be emotionally exhausting. Work/life balance can be a struggle. If you take care of yourself, prioritize, and manage time in a productive way, it IS possible! Also, the amount of time spent driving can take its toll. Get creative- I listen to audiobooks or new music to make the drive feel shorter. I’ve found that the cons I’ve experienced at this job can be fixed on a personal level. If I️ take responsibility, practice self-care and communicate with my supervisor, I stay on top of my tasks and can effectively handle the emotional struggles that come and go.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting staff and recognizing employees for their hard work. It makes me feel valued in my position and like I am a part of the team.

Nov 14, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you so much for this feedback! We appreciate the work you're doing in Knoxville. Our frontline jobs are where you can really make difference for children and families. Thanks for sharing your... More

8. "Hard work"

Current Employee - Youth Counselor
    Current Employee - Youth Counselor

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with children and 3 days off to recover

Cons

Hours and lack of professionalism

Advice to Management

Stay professional

Dec 18, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. We're committed to helping our employees achieve a positive work-life balance and strive for the highest standards in policies, procedures and interventions.

9. "Intern"

Pros

Great Activities for Interns, Ample Experience

Cons

High turnover of employees, young workforce

10. "Family intervention specialist"

I worked at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

None... except the families if they actually want you there

Cons

Serious ethical issues, over worked, horrible management, unprofessional, underpaid, made to go work with families when uncomfortable -

Dec 19, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thanks for your feedback. All of our employees know that concerns can be reported to our Program Integrity Hotline: 901-251-4976. Please call if you have information to share.