Youth Villages Reviews | Glassdoor

Youth Villages CEO Patrick Lawler
Patrick Lawler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is definitely a challenge in this field (in 57 reviews)

• The extremely high turnover rate means you are perpetually understaffed (in 28 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hardest job I have ever loved"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my experience leadership are very supportive toward staff. Every supervisor I have had since joining YV has treated me with respect and as a peer rather than as a subordinate. They have encouraged my development as a clinician and as a leader. I feel valued and heard more now than in any prior professional setting. I appreciate the way the company invests in staff success. For example, I was able to complete my second Master's degree through the tuition reimbursement offered by Youth Villages. I am currently seeking licensure with support from YV. The multi-level clinical supervision structure ensures strong accountability and enables staff to serve youth and families with confidence. I appreciate Youth Villages' mission and values and how those are reflected in the work that we do daily. Helping youth and families to live successfully can be challenging but also quite rewarding.

Cons

The work we do is very demanding with regard to time and energy. Work life balance is definitely a challenge in this field. The rewards don't necessarily come in the form of financial compensation. Working in community based programs has put a lot of miles on my vehicles.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a culture of support and empowerment for staff. Celebrate and encourage staff contributions as often as possible.

Mar 10, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for this feedback! It's demanding work, but we're so pleased to be able to help specialist advance in their careers by earning master's degrees and attaining licensure! Congratulations!... More

2. "Great potential still needs work."

Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Middle Valley, TN
    Current Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Middle Valley, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with children and families, great co-workers, benefits, vacation and sick time. Plenty of opportunity for growth and development, and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Inconsistent demands from leadership, unclear on when work day begins and when it ends, low autonomy, not as flexible as advertised, unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be on the same page and consistent across the board. More thought needs to be put into front line employees. Maybe group intercept teams by location, take into account when families are available to meet. I was aware it would be non-traditional work hours, but it was not made clear I would be coming by 8 o'clock or later more than three nights out of the week after working a 10 hour day. If a specialist has families that can only meet in the evening from the times of 2-6 why assign a family who can also only meet at the same time? It causes chaos and late sessions...I'm talking 7:30 or later? No one told me I could be expecting to work until 9 or later. I have a family and I feel the job isn't flexible or willing to work with employees who do have children. Put thought in to location and meeting times when assigning a case. Support your employees, offer encouragement and solutions. We have a high turn over rate and it doesn't make sense because we have the potential to be a great company. Leadership needs to lead from the front not the back.

3. "Family intervention Specialist"

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You make good connections with clients and feel like you have made a difference. The annual Employee conference is nice.

Cons

On call rotation is a nightmare. You don't get paid for being on call 24/7 once a week every month. You do pointless check-ins with clients who are not in crisis. Which defeats the whole purpose of it.
    Paperwork is tedious and REDUNDANT. You fill out the exact same information under multiple tabs, in multiple rows, on multiple documents - day after day, after day ---weeks, months in a row.
    Upper management adds new expectations, tasks, meetings every week just for the heck of it. (It's always has to be something that staff is doing "wrong" or "bad")
    Driving radius to clients is way too far.
    You'll need a new car after driving around as much as you do in this position if you stay longer then a year. Expect lots of miles on your car, maintenance,
    and minimal compensation.
    Prepare to be forced to go into unsafe situations/neighborhoods with no support or concern about your safety. "Families first"..definitely not you or YOUR own family. Self-care is not prioritized or promoted. You feel like you can't take off because of guilt and someone will have to cover your caseload.

Advice to Management

Address everything listed under "cons".

Sep 27, 2017 – Youth Villages

Hello, and thank you for leaving a review. You are right that our employees make a difference in the lives of families, children and young people we help. And, that the job isn’t easy. We try to be... More

"Great philosophy but lacks consideration for staff"

Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Plymouth, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Plymouth, MA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission and values, good processes in place to help kids and families. There are great support positions to help those on the front lines. Wonderful people who work on the front lines.

Cons

Regularly changing expectations for direct care staff and supervisors, coming from upper management without consideration of the impact of those changes.

Clinical Supervisor is such an important role but often ends up absorbing tasks/expectations from above and below, making the position increasingly more difficult and unmanageable.

Sep 19, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your comments on the work that we do and how we support frontline staff. Your concerns have been passed along to leadership.

5. "Compliance Specialist"

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Youth Villages has wonderful staff members who are dedicated to helping families and the communities they serve.

Cons

Poor leadership, minimal training, will often be required to work multiple positions without being compensated.

Sep 11, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. We work hard to provide effective training and support for our employees and will share your comments with leadership.

6. "YVLifeSet Specialist"

Current Employee - YVLifeSet Specialist in Boone, NC
    Current Employee - YVLifeSet Specialist in Boone, NC

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have honestly enjoyed working at Youth Villages as a YVLifeSet Specialist, and some of the pros that I have experienced are:

-I work with a great team of co-workers, and I have a really great supervisor who knows my weaknesses, as well as my strengths, and instead of harping on my (few) weaknesses, he really builds me up. I would not be the worker that I am today without his guidance, and his genuine support.
    -The age group that we serve are one of the most overlooked in NC, and you can definitely see the growth and progress within your youth during the treatment process.
    -The office environment is awesome, the other teams such as MST and Intercept are wonderful to work by. It's like being part of one big family.
    -Our Office Manager is the bomb.
    -Networking within your community and learning about the services that your local counties offer is a huge advantage. It is an awesome way of getting your name out there and connecting with other community supports that will help you do your job even more effectively and best serve your youth.
    - The flexibility in terms of your schedule is wonderful.
    - I feel valued as an employee (which is extremely important to me)
    - You have the ability to move up, as well as to different locations, if you want.

Overall, I think it's a great job, I think anyone who is coming out of college or wanting to expand their horizons into the field of Mental Health could truly benefit from working with an organization like Youth Villages.

Cons

Some of the cons that I have experienced:

- There is a lot of driving, but you do get reimbursed
    - Requirements can be a little tough to meet, but not unobtainable
    - It is a very stressful job, and you can easily overwork yourself if you do not create a healthy boundary between your work and personal life.
    - The On-Call system is a little shotty due to not being compensated for overtime. (Time and a half would be nice) But you are only on-call every 4-8 weeks (depending on how big your region/teams are)

Sep 11, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback. We're so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your team and the support of your supervisor! We think Youth Villages is a great place to work and make a difference in the... More

"Transition Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The population you work with is awesome and the best part of the job. The YVLifeset team is excellent too.

Cons

The company does not adequately train its employees and puts them in the fire way before they should be in the field. The company can also do better to educate the workers of resources in the area.

Advice to Management

Actually live by your motto

Sep 19, 2017 – Youth Villages

We think the young people we work with through YVLifeSet are amazing, too! Thank you for everything you do to help them become successful independent adults! Training and support is critical for our... More

"lacks leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MA

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

love the families/youth that we work with, love the support from coworkers. The idea of the work that is being done, is awesome and needed

Cons

Leadership is abusive, absolute bullies. They want everyone to work tons of hours, it doesn't matter if you had 2 days off from vacation, you are still expected to see everyone the same amount of time, work over 40 hours and use your personal time. The families do not get what they need because no one cares from the leadership so we don't grow and are miserable. The outcomes are not long lasting. The specialist now see 5 families instead of 4 .
    The Leadership use bullying as their style of leadership. They do not care about self care, no one cares about the families, they just pretend to care.

There is little guidance, there is little or no feedback on treatment plans and then will accuse you of not doing your job. People are blamed if something goes wrong with the families.

Advice to Management

Hire people who know how to teach, how to talk with employees, how to motivate and are not bullies.

Sep 28, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thanks for your feedback. All of our employees know that concerns can be reported to our Program Integrity Hotline: 901-251-4976. Please call if you have information to share.

9. "professional workplace making a real difference"

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Youth Villages is making a real difference in the lives of children and families through implementing evidence based practices and achieving the highest of outcomes with tough family situations. The workplace is a professional, friendly atmosphere, and you leave work every day knowing you've made an impact.

Cons

Front-line work with youth and families is challenging, but it is rewarding and great work experience.

Sep 11, 2017 – Youth Villages

Thank you for your feedback! And your work at Youth Villages!

10. "Yikes"

Former Employee - Night Monitor in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Night Monitor in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to work with some amazing, like-minded people who wanted to make a difference.

Cons

The organization of management was so bad, we were always understaffed which was dangerous for both staff and clients in terms of maintaining a safe environment. Pay was miserable for how emotionally and physically draining the job was.

Advice to Management

Oregon location was since shut down as a residential facility, so not much to say there... they need to treat their employees better to eliminate burn out and such high turn over.

Sep 11, 2017 – Youth Villages

We're doing amazing work through our community-based programs -- Intercept intensive in-home services and YVLifeSet -- and adding new services. We have great opportunities for specialists who are... More