Walmart eCommerce

Updated Feb 17, 2015
Updated Feb 17, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

I asked my friend to refer me to that job, and receive the first phone interview in one month. In the first phone interview, firstly introduce yourself and your project experience, then they asked me about some basic concept about Java, like interface, abstract class, super(), this, OOP. After one week I got the second phone screen, asked me two coding questions, one is string, the other is linked list, one week later, got the onsite email.

Interview Questions
    • As I applied for a java position, nothing is unexpected.   Answer Question

Senior Business Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

I was contacted by a contracted recruiter for this position. I was initially told that there would be two rounds of phone interviews, but after talking to the hiring manager during the first phone screen, they asked me to come in for an on-site. I had five rounds of interviews during the on-site. I wasn't asked any difficult technical questions, which seemed a bit odd at the time; in retrospect, I'm appalled they didn't have anyone from outside of the team (with whom I would end up spending more time working) interview me to assess communication skills and culture fit. After the interview, things moved along pretty quickly, and I started working at Walmart a little over a month after a final phone chat with the VP of my team.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how to do a relatively simple task using MapReduce (which, I will add, had nothing to do with the job itself).   Answer Question
    The recruiters that I worked with did a great job with this. I basically got what I wanted without feeling like I was talking to a used car salesperson.

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce in December 2014.

I never applied for this job; HR came courting me. It was against my better judgment to pursue a role with a company so well identified with cheap, tacky, inferior goods, but I was initially led to believe that my expertise was valued and that I would be instrumental in elevating the copy. Initial phone screen with HR was sterling; a follow-up call with a nervous-sounding hiring manager was less so. Company flew me from Oregon to California to meet 2 managers and a director, but none of them seemed prepared for my visit. The 2 managers contradicted each other as far as their visions of the department's role within the company: the first made it sound difficult to get copy approved in the "start-up"-like atmosphere of this global giant, while the second told me there was absolute freedom in writing product copy. The real nightmare began, however, with Interviewer 3, who showed up late and despite being the person with the highest level of authority, had no idea what I was there to interview for. "This is for an off-site contractor?" No, I told her -- this is for full-time on-site. Manager 1 had said I would write about a variety of products, a mix of romantic and mundane. #3 told me -- and this was implausible given that only 1 out of a new team of 4 writers had been hired -- that the products most in my line of demonstrated strength and proven ability were already "spoken for," that all I would ever write about were tool sheds and generators. She was very glib, she made the position sound awful, and then she asked me: Do you still want the job? She was the single-most unprofessional interviewer I've encountered at that level. I felt like I was being handed the Keys to Nowhere. I asked Manager 1 for clarification between her account of my duties and what this person was describing: she never responded. The entire debacle was an obscene waste of my valuable time.

Support Team Interview

Great process, you can feel the energy and passion behind the people who work here. I came in not knowing much about Walmart's culture and history but i interviewed with a team who are knowledgeable about the company and their function and what they bring to the table.

Negotiable

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

Interview experience was positive, I would rate it medium difficulty, just standard algorithm questions, I was interviewing for full stack role so had some javascript ui questions too, one phone screen and 6 onsite interviews. Lunch interview was strange cause we got lunch from food court to go and went back to interview room. I never really got chance to eat it because after entering room interview again started. I just sneaked in couple of bites when interviewers switched

After a week recruiter called me and said they wanted to move ahead and asked about my current salary etc, After I put forward my expected compensation he told me that he will get back to me but he never did, After few follow up emails I gave up. So It seems what I have been reading in glassdoor and quora about walmartlabs is true

Overall I felt how end negotiation was handled was not really professional and I did not expected that from a big company like walmart

Interview Questions
    • Merge n number of sorted arrays in Hadoop, time complexity etc, Twitter style feed ui   Answer Question

I had certain compensation and immigration requirements which it seems they were not ready to match. After initial offer they never contacted me , so not sure what it should be called, I guess I need a third option here, they left me wondering..

Project Leadership Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

Somewhat easy. Phone interview with recruiter and hiring manager. Then in person with about 5 people. Each about 30 mins. Questions were easy and everyone but one of them was friendly.

Run. Don't accept. They will offer a sign on bonus but it will lock you in for year before you can leave. You will want to leave and won't be able yo.

Relevance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce in October 2014.

All interviews but the final one were good. Interviewers asked technical questions.The last interview was a disaster. After I had answered the first question the interviewer started telling me that I must read more books about computer science. He told me before walmartlabs he worked for a startup company. He read a lot of Computer Science books when he worked there. I must read a lot of books too. What a b*s!

Lab Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

filled out app, got a phone interview, wetn to interview with 3 people, got the job, went to days orientation began training on the job, process took 3 weeks. traning is good so far. people are nice. including boss

Senior Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

After an initial phone screening by a recruiter, I had a day long series of interviews. I was worried about it, but appreciated that I could meet so many people in one day. I met with members of each of the key disciplines in the UX group: visual design, user research, interaction design and content/writing. I met with senior staff as well as Director level interviewers and this showed me that they were seriously committed to a thorough interview process that suited my needs as well as theirs. They went out of their way to answer my questions in great detail. Came back for 1 hour panel interview with the SVP and other senior staff. Very congenially, it went well and I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were too difficult or unexpected, but I did realize that the work in my portfolio was complex and for a different audience. It would have been helpful to be prepared to talk about the ways that I would (hypothetically) redesign one of my portfolio projects for a consumer audience so they could see how I'd make the transition to e-commerce.   Answer Question
    It was all done through the agency.

Manager of Mobile Product Strategy Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce in September 2014.

Applied online. Recruiter contacted me within days.

Very friendly phone call with recruiter.

Then nothing for weeks. I nudged the recruiter. My application was lost in the shuffle. To my surprise, I did later get a phone screen with the hiring manager.

Phone screen went well. They decided to bring me onsite...but it took weeks to arrange it.

Onsite was with 5 people. Recruiter was very helpful in helping me prepare for it. Meetings went OK.

But then weeks went by and I never heard from them (despite my nudging the recruiter).

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions.

Hardest part was figuring out how the position fit into the large matrix organization.

Most challenging thing is that the job description had so much stuff in it that it was somewhat meaningless. I had trouble figuring out what they REALLY wanted (maybe they didn't know?). And though this was a near-entry-level position, at times I felt like they were interviewing me for a position requiring more experience.

Answer Question