Walmart eCommerce Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Long interview but good process. Got a phone screen and a day on site process. Hiring manager was very good. HR was very good. The whole process took about a week. I accepted the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Initial Greet with hiring manager, then a git list of issues with instructions to solve one issue. Submitted a PR, was code reviewed. HR followed up with a meeting with 5 people. Issue requests were semi-difficult due the need to understand multiple mechanisms 100% test coverage and you had to spend a great deal of time just studying the code to make sure you are reusing their helper functions and not reinventing the wheel Assigned a buddy that was pretty much not available Coding standards is like reading a mini-bible, but at least they have linting built into the testing Had to break out tests because of they had a tightly coupled module interfering with testability Everyone was very pleasant, and not arrogant. My only grief with the interview process was that I made it very, very clear that the my background was not perfectly aligned with the position I was seeking (but entirely translate-able). The position was simply writing rest services, easy peasy compared to things I've already done. I wanted to experience systems at scale at Walmart, and they make it sound as if you can move around on different projects after a length of time. So knowing all this, I was slightly put off that they would have me spend hours on a issue request that the company benefitted from (and had absolutely nothing to do with the position I was going for), then go through 4 hours of interview, and then another coding challenge I submitted via email, only for them to decline me based on experience. They could have just declined me up front and saved a world of time. It seems rather manipulative to have interviewees fix their code, only to have them later be declined due to something incredibly obvious by looking at a resume on day 1. Consider an interview process that actually tests an applicant's ability to do the job, and if you aren't prepared to do that and want to base a decision on experience, do it upfront. Lastly, if you are going to require an issue request fix, why would 5 interviewers ignore that work, and completely write it off in their decision-making? All this aside, I really liked everyone who I interacted with. They had a great sense of humor.

Interview Questions

• Basic compsci questions, and then a strange question that was purely a problem solving (unrelated to compsci) question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

1 phone interview:- basic algorithms, java, multithreading 5 on-site interviews:- NDA. I felt the focus was not only on algorithms and programming skills, but also on complex design questions. The interviewers were very smart and friendly. In fact, I learned a couple of new things in the interviews. They didn't care if I knew some random puzzles or trick solutions, but they did evaluate me based on my approach. I had several offers and interviews setup, but WalmartLabs made me a very competitive offer. Also, the technology I will get to be working on is the exact same thing I was looking for. The process was very smooth, every interviewer was on time, and the recruiter was very helpful till the end. I was highly impressed by the professionalism they depicted.

Interview Questions

• Q: In simple words, the question was to perform addition of two decimal numbers, but with a flexible base of 1<= n <=9   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. I had two phone interviews. Both involved solving writing java code in an online editor. After that was invited to San Bruno office for a full loop. I was interviewed by senior members ranging from Principal Engineer, Director and couple of Architects. Total 4 rounds. One round on design, one on coding and the other two were basic CS questions. The recruiter was helpful throughout the process. I got the offer, but didn't like it.

Interview Questions

• 1. Design a workflow system 2. Print binary tree nodes in zig zag order level by level. 3. Basic CS questions like, what happens when you hit "google.com" on browser, database design questions, scalability questions etc..   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce in June 2015.

Interview

Very traditional — "tell me about a project . . ." All interviewers asked pretty much the same questions. Didn't seem like there was much planning/coordination at all. Not terribly thoughtful. My learning: instead of simply letting the interviewers run the show, I should have suggested a more effective approach. For example, how about we wrestle with a real challenge that the organization is facing right now? That would have been a much more engaging and value-adding process. Good learning! A piece feedback for the interviewers: The follow up has been incredibly poor. Case in point: the interviews were about a month ago. Still not even a simple follow up note from the recruiter. Even after reaching out to check in, still nothing. I consider this neglectful and lacking respect.

Merchandise Planner Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

Interview

I had 4 people Interview me including the VP of Merchandise Planning. Most questions were based around previous experience and accomplishments. Interviewers were extremely friendly and open to talking about what it was like to work at dot.com.

Graduate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce in May 2015.

Interview

My advisor recommended me to a director in Walmart Labs for summer internship. The director emailed me for a phone interview on the next day. We scheduled a phone interview on the next day. Then, I was interviewed by a senior engineer under the director. The senior engineer sent me a link for a coding interview right before the interview.

Interview Questions

• - Classify sentences into 2 categories, satisfaction and dissatisfaction using a machine learning algorithm. - Find the sums of any numbers, which do not adjoin, from an array.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce in April 2015.

Interview

FRAUD PEOPLE...THEY ALMOST OFFER YOU A POSITION AND LATER SEIZE IT...!!! I got a interview call through a senior recruiter on LinkedIn. I was very positive about this position since I had prior work-ex in the same area. The recruiter scheduled a phone interview with the Project Manager. Later I was told ,it would be a conference phone interview with 3 Project Managers handling 3 different projects and at 2 different locations. I was suppose to call them on mm/dd/2015 at 2pm PST. Upon calling them, they asked m to call at 3pm. This seemed very disorganized to me. Perhaps there was miscommunication and lack of co-ordination between the recruiter and the Project Managers. I was phone interviewed by three Project Managers asking about my work-ex, background, questions related to project management. those were pretty straight-forward. Interview lasted for an hour. I got feedback from one of the Project Manager (he kept other two mangers in cc) that they enjoyed talking to me and now is the time to be a part of WalmartLabs. I was also offered 3 projects under the 3 different managers and was asked which on I would like to move forward with. They also added that despite of the project I choose, I could excel at WalmartLabs. It was weekend so I was asked to respond by end of day Monday. I decided to go on with ASDA Mobile project. On Monday, the picture was complete different. To my response, one of the manager replied, they would let me know early in that week about the further process if any. On Tuesday, I received an mail from the recruiter saying, "We cant move forward with you at this time. Sorry" I was shocked and broken. This was more of playing with candidates emotions. Upon asking the reason, I got an answer that they found better candidates. How they could find better candidates when it was weekend and they had already asked me to decide the project. Something was definitely fishy. the project manager was not generous enough to reply to my email. The recruiter claims that she recruits for the number on retail on the planet but she was not kind enough to dig into the matter. In -short ,it was sheer disappointment. Very rude people...Fraud people infact. If you don't wanna waste your time, never interview with @WalmartLabs/WalmarteCommerce. PS: Out of the three, two positions offered wee in San Bruno. Third was in Portland. The positions were for ASDA Mobile,In-Store,Android applications respectively

Meat Associate Interview

Interview

The interview process was very long. It began with a phone call. Then a over the phone interview. Then a second interview. Then orientation. I think the first interview is with a HR person. Then the seond interview in person is typically a Zone manager or supervisor.

Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Walmart eCommerce (San Bruno, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I feel like some people in the team does not have strong knowledge in Java, some of the java questions they are asking were very basic J2SE question, and they were arguing with the wrong answer, for example: if developers do not write the "try catch" to catch the exception, what would JVM handle the exception? My answer was "Jvm will catches the exception, and handles it by printing the exception call stack out", and she was saying "no, you will not be able to find any information about the exception, this exception will be lost, so it would be better that developers always write 'Try catch' to catch the exception."