Walmart eCommerce

Relevance Date Difficulty

Accounting Manager Interview

Accounting Manager
San Bruno, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

Interview Details – The interview process was very long. Recruiting did a good job coordinating logistics. I first had a phone screen with recruiting. Then the hiring manager called and we had a good discussion about technical stuff then reasons to join walmart. The interview day lasted about 3-4 hours. They had panels of 2-3 people interview me. They asked a lot of behavioral questions but also tested my knowledge of accounting. Everyone was very nice but they were very tough,

Interview Question – I don't remember. It's been a while. All the interview questions that asked about what I would do in a certain situation were very tough. they kept asking for more and more details. It made me nervous.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room to negotiate on bonus or vacation. The offer was very fair and met my expectations.

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
San Bruno, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart eCommerce in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in beginning of June online, got response 3 days later. Started off by a phone screen with a sr recruiter for about 30 mins, within the first 5 mins, he told me that the hiring manager was eager to talk to me. OK, then I had a phone interview with the hiring manager 2 hours later the same day. It went well, he kept saying he wanted to bring me in for an on-site interview.

After 2 weeks (I guess it's so hard to schedule everyone together for a such big company!), I came in to the San Bruno office. My schedule time was 9am, I was there early liked 8:30, walked around the canteen, very nice with big screen TV watch some live shows, but don't expect to get any free food tho.

Almost 9am, I went back to the lobby and wait for the recruiter, waited there until 9:25, was finally greeted by another sr recruiter, he said the guy I talked to was out sick.

I first met the hiring manager, seems very cool, he showed me the office, noc room as well. Chatted with him for about 15 mins. Then I met another 2 sr engineers, questions were little more tech, but not too tricky, liked how DNS, DHCP, PXE work.

After that, another gentleman came in, Director of Engineering or so, more personnel questions, another half an hour.

Then came in the surprise, I supposed to meet another sr manager, but I waited in the room for almost 45 mins, nobody showed up. I then found the phone number of the recruiter on the itinery, called him, he said, "oh yeah, just found that the sr manager had to go to Santa Clara for a meeting, I wish you would call me earlier, I am sorry have you sitting in the room for so long. I think your recruiter will arrange maybe a video conference with the sr manager again some time after hours."

OK, then I left the premise, waited and waited and waited, 2 days passed, no response, I emailed and called my recruiter, he then said, "I scheduled to have a talk to the hiring manager tomorrow evening, I will call you afterwards." Then I waited and waited and waited again, another 2 days gone, stil no response, emailed to him and hiring manager, no response at all. It's liked dropping a rock in the ocean...

Now that it's been 4 weeks, of course I am not that naive to still have a hope, but just can't believe for such a big compnay, there isn't any courtesy at all to notify your candidate, this is the part I still don't get.

Finance Manager Interview

Finance Manager
San Bruno, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

Interview Details – HR call first round, Manager second round, then in office third round. In office interviews include 2 panel interviews (3 interviewers), behavioral questions, then 2 other interviews with hiring manager and controller. I thought the panel interviews were pretty stressful. Learn your STAR answers and have a bunch of them ready.

Interview Question – You have no experience in retail, why are you interested?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart eCommerce in June 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter with a pretty detailed email. We connected for an initial conversation within a few days. He was very professional and enthusiastic about the company. I was then phone screened by a member of the labs technical team. Nice guy who seemed genuinely interested in making a connection and telling me about the team.
A week later I was asked to come in for an interview and met with five people on the team and the recruiter. The questions were tough, but the team gave me an impression that they were not in agreement on the level of this position or what exactly I would do if I was hired. Team seems very smart and working on large problems.
Overall HR keeps you posted on what's going on with the interview process and treat you well as a candidate.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

Interviewed at Walmart eCommerce

Interview Details – hard, competitive, must be very felxible, previous experience required, panel interview
tough, on time, presentation

unlike walgreens, know about competetion, selection strategy etc
talk about markets, globalizaiton, global warming
know your role
research about corporate etc

Interview Question – hard, competitive, must be very felxible, previous experience required   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Business Role Interview

Business Role
San Bruno, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart eCommerce in June 2013.

Interview Details – Typical process. Phone interview with a unknowledgeable recruiter. Video interview with the VP of the team. Series of interviews in person with people during 4-5 hrs. Feedback, background check, SURPRISE a drug test for professional positions, and then an offer.

Negotiable salary, comp, etc. Overall fairly smooth process.

Overall, be sure to confirm all the details up front or you will be stuck with poor airport routes, layovers, hotel bills, etc and it takes about 4 weeks to get your expenses reimbursed. Compared to other tech companies in the Silicon Valley this one took the same time but the process was just average. No amazing candidate experience here. OH - they have paper forms to complete too!

Interview Question – none. the interview was very dry and people didn't seem to know their roles so the same questions were asked often.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiate for more salary,, ,sign on and comp.
The benefits are so awful that you will get more $$ due to poor brand, lack of premium benefits, etc. They know it, so get your base above market because merit is only 1-3% even for strong performers. 3-5% for rockstars annually.

Very Easy Interview

Intern Software Engineer Interview

Intern Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Walmart eCommerce in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online through the Walmart careers website.Got a call for an interview in approximately 2 weeks.

Interview Question – All questions were very easy, simple and straight forward.Make sure that you prepare Data Structures and Algorithms very well.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
San Bruno, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Walmart eCommerce in March 2014.

Interview Details – Amazing hiring process! If it takes a little longer than expected, they keep you updated throughout the way if they are genuinely interested.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was an analytical thought process question I was presented with. They gave me situations, and had me walk through with them how I would come to a resolution. They knew that I was not familiar with the particular field, but wanted to see my thought process.   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Staff Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

Interview Details – The recruiters did their homework, scouting me out and learning a lot about me (in a non-creepy way... LinkedIn, Github, blogs, etc) before contacting me. This caught my attention better than any email blast!

The interview was fun, and felt more just like hanging out with a bunch of cool geeks, talking shop. Seemed they were more interested in how my brain worked, and how I would collaborate in a team, rather than if I had memorized a bunch of trivia and API calls.

Interview Question – How to appease Google crawlers, and still have dynamic page content.   Answer Question

Senior Buyer Interview

Senior Buyer
Brisbane, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Walmart eCommerce in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interviews were a little chaotic, be prepared for repeated/re-scheduled interviews. 2-3 people per interview

Negotiation Details – negotiation with HR only, they compromised on salary and paid a sign on bonus (to compensate for a bonus I would be giving up at my previous employer)

Worked for Walmart eCommerce? Contribute to the Community!