Walmart eCommerce

Updated Oct 17, 2014

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

Interview experience was positive, I would rate it medium difficulty, just standard algorithm questions, I was interviewing for full stack role so had some javascript ui questions too, one phone screen and 6 onsite interviews. Lunch interview was strange cause we got lunch from food court to go and went back to interview room. I never really got chance to eat it because after entering room interview again started. I just sneaked in couple of bites when interviewers switched

After a week recruiter called me and said they wanted to move ahead and asked about my current salary etc, After I put forward my expected compensation he told me that he will get back to me but he never did, After few follow up emails I gave up. So It seems what I have been reading in glassdoor and quora about walmartlabs is true

Overall I felt how end negotiation was handled was not really professional and I did not expected that from a big company like walmart

Interview Questions
    • Merge n number of sorted arrays in Hadoop, time complexity etc, Twitter style feed ui   Answer Question

I had certain compensation and immigration requirements which it seems they were not ready to match. After initial offer they never contacted me , so not sure what it should be called, I guess I need a third option here, they left me wondering..

Project Leadership Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

Somewhat easy. Phone interview with recruiter and hiring manager. Then in person with about 5 people. Each about 30 mins. Questions were easy and everyone but one of them was friendly.

Run. Don't accept. They will offer a sign on bonus but it will lock you in for year before you can leave. You will want to leave and won't be able yo.

Lab Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

filled out app, got a phone interview, wetn to interview with 3 people, got the job, went to days orientation began training on the job, process took 3 weeks. traning is good so far. people are nice. including boss

Senior Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

After an initial phone screening by a recruiter, I had a day long series of interviews. I was worried about it, but appreciated that I could meet so many people in one day. I met with members of each of the key disciplines in the UX group: visual design, user research, interaction design and content/writing. I met with senior staff as well as Director level interviewers and this showed me that they were seriously committed to a thorough interview process that suited my needs as well as theirs. They went out of their way to answer my questions in great detail. Came back for 1 hour panel interview with the SVP and other senior staff. Very congenially, it went well and I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were too difficult or unexpected, but I did realize that the work in my portfolio was complex and for a different audience. It would have been helpful to be prepared to talk about the ways that I would (hypothetically) redesign one of my portfolio projects for a consumer audience so they could see how I'd make the transition to e-commerce.   Answer Question
    It was all done through the agency.

Manager of Mobile Product Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce in September 2014.

Applied online. Recruiter contacted me within days.

Very friendly phone call with recruiter.

Then nothing for weeks. I nudged the recruiter. My application was lost in the shuffle. To my surprise, I did later get a phone screen with the hiring manager.

Phone screen went well. They decided to bring me onsite...but it took weeks to arrange it.

Onsite was with 5 people. Recruiter was very helpful in helping me prepare for it. Meetings went OK.

But then weeks went by and I never heard from them (despite my nudging the recruiter).

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions.

Hardest part was figuring out how the position fit into the large matrix organization.

Most challenging thing is that the job description had so much stuff in it that it was somewhat meaningless. I had trouble figuring out what they REALLY wanted (maybe they didn't know?). And though this was a near-entry-level position, at times I felt like they were interviewing me for a position requiring more experience.
        Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Walmart eCommerce in August 2014.

Had a 30 minute Phone Interview. Then called for a Onsite 3hr interview with 6 people. Got immediat feedback for phone screen and onsite interview. Lot of java questions and coding on the white board, database related questions, web services questions.

Accounting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

The interview process was very long. Recruiting did a good job coordinating logistics. I first had a phone screen with recruiting. Then the hiring manager called and we had a good discussion about technical stuff then reasons to join walmart. The interview day lasted about 3-4 hours. They had panels of 2-3 people interview me. They asked a lot of behavioral questions but also tested my knowledge of accounting. Everyone was very nice but they were very tough,

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember. It's been a while. All the interview questions that asked about what I would do in a certain situation were very tough. they kept asking for more and more details. It made me nervous.   Answer Question
    No room to negotiate on bonus or vacation. The offer was very fair and met my expectations.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce.

HR call first round, Manager second round, then in office third round. In office interviews include 2 panel interviews (3 interviewers), behavioral questions, then 2 other interviews with hiring manager and controller. I thought the panel interviews were pretty stressful. Learn your STAR answers and have a bunch of them ready.

Interview Questions
    • You have no experience in retail, why are you interested?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

hard, competitive, must be very felxible, previous experience required, panel interview
    tough, on time, presentation

unlike walgreens, know about competetion, selection strategy etc
    talk about markets, globalizaiton, global warming
    know your role
    research about corporate etc

Interview Questions
    • hard, competitive, must be very felxible, previous experience required   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Walmart eCommerce in June 2014.

Applied in beginning of June online, got response 3 days later. Started off by a phone screen with a sr recruiter for about 30 mins, within the first 5 mins, he told me that the hiring manager was eager to talk to me. OK, then I had a phone interview with the hiring manager 2 hours later the same day. It went well, he kept saying he wanted to bring me in for an on-site interview.

After 2 weeks (I guess it's so hard to schedule everyone together for a such big company!), I came in to the San Bruno office. My schedule time was 9am, I was there early liked 8:30, walked around the canteen, very nice with big screen TV watch some live shows, but don't expect to get any free food tho.

Almost 9am, I went back to the lobby and wait for the recruiter, waited there until 9:25, was finally greeted by another sr recruiter, he said the guy I talked to was out sick.

I first met the hiring manager, seems very cool, he showed me the office, noc room as well. Chatted with him for about 15 mins. Then I met another 2 sr engineers, questions were little more tech, but not too tricky, liked how DNS, DHCP, PXE work.

After that, another gentleman came in, Director of Engineering or so, more personnel questions, another half an hour.

Then came in the surprise, I supposed to meet another sr manager, but I waited in the room for almost 45 mins, nobody showed up. I then found the phone number of the recruiter on the itinery, called him, he said, "oh yeah, just found that the sr manager had to go to Santa Clara for a meeting, I wish you would call me earlier, I am sorry have you sitting in the room for so long. I think your recruiter will arrange maybe a video conference with the sr manager again some time after hours."

OK, then I left the premise, waited and waited and waited, 2 days passed, no response, I emailed and called my recruiter, he then said, "I scheduled to have a talk to the hiring manager tomorrow evening, I will call you afterwards." Then I waited and waited and waited again, another 2 days gone, stil no response, emailed to him and hiring manager, no response at all. It's liked dropping a rock in the ocean...

Now that it's been 4 weeks, of course I am not that naive to still have a hope, but just can't believe for such a big compnay, there isn't any courtesy at all to notify your candidate, this is the part I still don't get.