Amazon Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

3.2

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

I had a contact in the company. The person forwarded my resume to his manager and a few days later HR person contacted me for schedules. Two phone interviews were scheduled. Each was 1 hour. One interviewer told me that the company would invite me for on-site if I did well on the phone interviews, but I screwed the interviews up. :(

Interview Questions

• I was asked to give a scalable system design of Amazon.com's order number generation service.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

I had two or three phone interviews and went to the local office that was hiring to do a four hour in-person interview. Phone interviews consisted of technical questions and in-person interview consisted of technical and personal questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied twice, once in early October and once in late October, and I talked to them at a career fair in between those two dates. I did not get an email until the night of December 3rd, which invited me to interview on December 5th. Usually companies will invite you to choose a specific date that fit your schedule so I found it a little rude for them to schedule an interview less than 48 hours away. Luckily I was free at that time, but I did not have a positive image of the process. The two interviews were going to be back to back 45 min phone interviews that started on the hour, so 15 min break in between.

Interview Questions

• write a function that takes in an int and returns a string that would be how one would say that number (ex: 123 -> one hundred twenty three; 50019 -> five thousand nineteen).   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online in January 2014 and received a call to set up an interview within a week. I had two 45 mins technical interviews. I was asked to code on a shared editor to solve some simple problems. Nothing unexpected, questions were like the ones that everyone comes across in technical interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied on college job site. Received an email to pick a date to have two 45 minute interviews at my college career center. First interview had a pretty common question. Second interview was more difficult, not types of question you would see in Cracking the Coding Interview. Overall, the interview was fair. Just practice writing out code on paper or a whiteboard if you have a face-to-face interview and brush up on basic algorithms! I interviewed on Thursday and received an email with offer on Monday.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation for interns

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

2 back to back telephonic interview of duration 45 minutes

Interview Questions

• Given a set of points (x,y) and an integer "n", return n number of points which are close to the origin   4 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase as such as the position was open to internship

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied at school job fair as well as online. Received an email asking for a response and was scheduled to do an interview the next day. Two 45 min interviews on campus. Asked me a few behavioral questions based off my programming projects. Interviewers were very friendly and I had a good time talking to them.

Interview Questions

• First question was to find all numbers that occurred an odd-number of times in an array and second question was implement a stack that could return the largest number in the stack at anytime.   6 Answers

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Submitted resume online, got contacted in a around a month and was asked to a phone interview within a couple days. Completed two phone interviews, thought they went well, but was contacted nearly two weeks later that I was not accepted.

Interview Questions

• An optimal algorithm to check whether a hand of cards was a full house (in Poker) or not.   8 Answers

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

I applied for the internship in October and heard from Amazon to schedule an interview in February. It was very unexpected and they wanted me to schedule an interview literally the next day, 10 hours away from the time I read the email. Recruiter was generic with emails (as expected I guess). I found it very rude of Amazon to schedule an interview the next day. The whole process felt rushed. My first interviewer encountered a technical problem with collabedit and I am sure that negatively affected the first interview. The second interview was more of a "scripted" interview. More problem solving issues like find the largest integer in an array, find the third largest in an array. First problem was java inheritance with an object I've never used before, second and third problem was finding largest number and third largest number in an array of integers, last problem was find the path of the largest sum given a triangle of integers. I was asked verbal questions like what data structures do you know? What is a Doubly linked list?, etc. Those were easy.

I heard 5 days later that I was not given an offer. Asked the recruiter for advice and no response.

Interview Questions

• Given a triangle of integers, find the path of the largest sum without skipping.   3 Answers

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March 2014.

Interview

Got the interview from AWS team. 2 back-to-back 45 mins interview.
    First interviewer(an indian engineer with terrible accent) asked me a classical Top K question, gave him a solution literally in a minute. However the solution needs a max-heap, commonly just use its api but this time he asked me to implement all, got quite unexpected here, it took me almost 30 mins to finish it. At last I asked question about openstack, unexpectedly he didn't know a thing about it.
    Second round was about string anagrams, still gave him a solution very fast(hash table, O(n) time and O(1) space), it is the best solution. After this talked about my current project, I guess this is where I blew the intern opportunity cause I said it is totally boring :-/ .
    Two interviewers were not nice, sometimes felt quite unpleasant. The HR really didn't respond any of my question and email, and I was told no offer a week later.