Amazon Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Software Development Engineer Intern Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

2 phone interviews
Interview 1
Compute number and print all possible paths from (0,0) to (7,7) in a chess board. you can either move down or right . basically in first interview they either ask about red black, avl , trees or some question based on design and analysis of algorithms. mine was based on dynamic programming
Interview 2
what is os, paging, segmentation, virtual memory, i/o mgmt, deadlocks, synchronization - basically all chapters of galvin
what happens when you type a url in address bar, how are address resolved, domain name space, some database questions etc

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

I was shocked at how simple and straightforward the interview process was. I had two 45-minute phone interviews that were scheduled back to back. The interview was technical in nature, and consisted of questions related to basic object oriented programming and design. Knowledge of common data structures and runtimes was also necessary. There were no behavioral questions whatsoever.

The interviewers were friendly, but did not give much feedback throughout the process, so it was a little intimidating. There was a part of the interview where they asked me to briefly define a bunch of object orientation terms (ex. polymorphism, class, inheritance, delegation, class, etc.), and another part where they asked me to model the classes of a card game.

Interview Questions

• You are given an array with n positive integers where all values in the array are repeated except for one. Return the one that is not repeated.   8 Answers
    • Reverse a linked list.   3 Answers
    • Write a function that returns the depth of a tree.   3 Answers

Negotiation

They give you a generous salary up front and provide some relocation assistance. I did not negotiate my offer much, but from what I've heard they're pretty firm on their internship offers.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in January 2012.

Interview

My amazon interview consisted of two back-to-back 45-minute technical phone interviews. Each one was fairly standard: they began with open-ended questions (i.e. Tell me about a project where you had a problem but overcame it), then moved to open-ended technical questions (i.e. What is tree? What is a binary tree? Can you think of a situation where you would want to use a tree with a higher degree of branching?) and finally moved into a pure coding exercise, which I wrote and then dictated verbatim to them. The coding challenges were about on par with what I've experienced in other technical interviews - they were routine tasks that focused on efficiently solving a simple problem. I received a call from HR a week later with an offer, and I accepted it.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of an example of a scenario where you would want to use a tree with more degrees of branching than a binary tree?   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

A friend of mine submitted my resume to a hiring manager and I got a phone call about a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview involved two different people, both of whom went straight into the technical questioning. There was none of the typical interview banter or "what's your greatest weakness" sort of vagueness. The second guy didn't even have inflection in his voice. He was just a cold, hard, questioning robot... creepy!

About halfway through the phone call I was asked to sit down at my computer and log on to a website where the interviewer watched me write some code to solve a problem he'd specified (printing a series of numbers to a console in a spiral pattern). It was a bit difficult since every time I stopped to think he'd ask me what I was thinking. After several minutes of thinking out loud and typing nervously I managed to complete the problem.

After the online portion of the interview, I was given homework (see "Most Difficult or Unexpected Question"), and told to submit it to them by the end of the day! I had a hot date with tickets to a show that evening, but as the hours went by it became clear that I was going to have to cancel to work on the interview problem. Frustrated and bitter, I resigned to submit what I had by midnight along with documentation on the missing aspects of my solution.

A few days went by and I heard nothing. I still had some questions about the internship that I didn't have a chance to ask over the phone, so I e-mailed my recruiter. She replied the next day with a form letter telling me that they'd decided to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Recreate the StringBuilder class in C++ from the ground up.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon in December 2013.

Interview

I applied twice, once in early October and once in late October, and I talked to them at a career fair in between those two dates. I did not get an email until the night of December 3rd, which invited me to interview on December 5th. Usually companies will invite you to choose a specific date that fit your schedule so I found it a little rude for them to schedule an interview less than 48 hours away. Luckily I was free at that time, but I did not have a positive image of the process. The two interviews were going to be back to back 45 min phone interviews that started on the hour, so 15 min break in between.

The first interviewer was very friendly and easy to talk to. There was a small chat about my resume and the technical question (through collabedit) was to write a function that takes in an int and returns a string that would be how one would say that number (ex: 123 -> one hundred twenty three; 50019 -> five thousand nineteen). At the end I asked her a couple questions about her work and then prepared myself for the next interview.

The second interviewer was even friendlier and nicer and asked more conceptual questions, but they were much easier than I expected. First question was tell me what you know about recursion. Then he asked me to code a function that returned the max integer in an array (no joke). Then a couple questions on sorting algorithms and how I would keep track of duplicates in an array, and how I would keep track of the indeces of duplicates in an array (hashset, hashmap).

Side note: the interviewers will take screenshots of your code as you type to track your progress.

After the interviews, I heard back 2.5 weeks later saying I had gotten the offer. I believe the your interviewers are from the teams that you are interviewing for. Overall, I was happy with my interviews, but very displeased with the recruiters. My recruiter still takes forever to respond to my emails.

Interview Questions

• write a function that takes in an int and returns a string that would be how one would say that number (ex: 123 -> one hundred twenty three; 50019 -> five thousand nineteen).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon (Syracuse, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online in their careers section and I got a mail after 10 days. I was asked to select a date and time for the telephonic interview.
    The day arrived and with little preparation I was ready for it. There were two back-to-back 45 minutes interviews with a 15 min break in between.

First round:
    The questions were:-
    1) Reverse a string
    2) Print multiplication tables from 1 to 12
    3)Print a grid of the form
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24
    3 6 9 12 15 18 21 27 27 30 33 36

The questions were really easy but I was a bit tensed and messed up with the c++ syntax. When you know many languages syntax will trouble you. By the time I was done with those questions time's up and I got a couple of minutes to ask any questions.
    The interviewer used some online text editor collaboration tool.

Second Round:
    This was a bit difficult. The question is to generate sample math problems(additions) for a 8th grade student and the results should be stored in such a way that they can be printed when required. Sample problem is 7+8=_____
    The constraints are:-
    1) The numbers that are to be added should be <=9
    2) The result should be <=17

The interviewer used google docs in this round.

Interview Questions

• Second Round:
      The constraints are:-
      1) The numbers that are to be added should be &lt;=9
      2) The result should be &lt;=17   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Gainesville, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

Two telephone back to back interview each of 45 minutes.I was expecting first easy questions but I got recursion problem to solve.

Second interview was easy.He asked me about my projects and java questions such as
    If you want to design arraylist class how will you design and which collection will you use. Explain.
    difference between ArrayList,LinkedList and Array.

and one programming interview questiion:

Write a method to find the one number that occurs an odd number of times in an array.

Interview Questions

• You have been given an matrix of characters 5*5 which contains 24 elements a..y
        the matrix will look something like
         a b c d e
         f g h i j
         k l m n o
         p q r s t
         u v w x y

You have been given alpha (starting character) and beta (Ending character) as two characters.
      You have to find all shortest paths between alpha and beta with a restriction that you are allowed to move
      vertical or horizontal.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

went through two phone interviews,

Interview Questions

• one question is to find a path in a maze   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Amazon interviews its interns by having two, 45-minute conversations. If both you're interviewers say yes, then you're in. Otherwise, you get a third shot. You need two out of three interviewers to agree in order to hire you.

Interview Questions

• They asked standard data structure questions. For example, search times and design decisions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There isn't much negotiating as an incoming intern. But the offer is very reasonable so I didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2014.

Interview

I got an internal referral, and they reached out to me on Dec 30. We had two 45 minutes, back to back phone interviews on Jan 8. The interviews are all about technical questions. It seems they do not care about your experience on the resume at all, which is a bit depressing. Anyway, I finally got my offer on Jan 30.

The first interviewer was very nice, the questions are very basic: something like Fibonacci and 2 sum. The second interviewer was a senior. He asked about card shuffling and other conceptual stuff.

Interview Questions

• The questions are pretty regular, but the second interviewer suppressed my proposals and made me think in his approach. We kind of had some conflict, but I have to admit his algorithm is easier to implement.

Remember: do not try to be a smart ass in front of your interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Tried to go to the search team but the recruiter said it's full.