Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 24, 2017

2.2

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Bloomfield, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (West Bloomfield, MI).

Interview

I applied online using their very simple web portal. I received a call back about a week later. Got an interview and was called that week to say that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book?
      What are some of your strengths?
      Tell me about a difficult situation at your last job.
      Answer Question

Cafe Barista Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

She wuickly asked me questions, nothing to serious. The only thing that stood out, was the fact that I had to wait a while out in the cafe for the manager to come out. I didn't mind as I was trying to get a job, but I noticed this more when others were being interviewed. The manager would make the interviewer wait a long while.

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Macon, GA).

Interview

I applied online and I was contacted about a week later. I had a breif phone interview with an assistant store manager. She then asked me to come in for a face-to-face interview. I was interviewed by two managers. The first manager asked me situational questions. The second manager asked me general interview questions. I did a background check the same day and was contacted the next day offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult customers?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you?   1 Answer

Merchandise Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Milford, CT).

Interview

I went to an open job fair. I had a lengthy interview with the DM. A week later I had an interview with the SM. I was hired immediately and started 2 weeks later. I trained in another store for two weeks. Training continued in my home store.

Interview Questions

• How would you make selling memberships a priority?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Tysons Corner, VA).

Interview

I came in for my first interview that was with one of the store's merchandise managers. It went really well, and right after he asked if I could stay for another interview with one of the higher up managers. I said yes. After, I was told informally that I had the job. Really positive experience

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation in which there was a problem that had to be solved, and what was your method of solution?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Rochester, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The manager asked questions about my resume and several different scenario questions like what do I do during down time at work. It took about 15 minutes. The manager was very friendly and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Sell me either your favorite book, your phone, or a tablet.   Answer Question

Cafe Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Chattanooga, TN) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was called a few days later by the manager of the cafe. She asked me a few questions over the phone, it lasted about 15 minutes. Then she asked me to come in later that week for an interview. I came to the interview, and the lady told me that she was waiting for some other employees to get back from lunch and then she could interview me. She was nice, and she offered me a free drink from the menu. After the employees got back she sat me down at a table and started asking me questions. The questions were basic, and the interview lasted about 20 minutes. After that she said she would call me to let me know if I got the job. A couple days later she called and told me they had gone with someone with more experience, but said I should reapply when I'm older. Decent experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite drink from Starbucks?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about selling people things without them asking?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The interview was nice and simple. I just talked about some relevant experience, my interest in books and helping people. They start everyone out as a cashier, so be prepared to count a till for the interview. They go easy on you if you mess up though, especially if you have no experience, so no worries.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a situation where you disagreed with your manager/supervisor?   Answer Question

Merchandising Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online at the B&N website and then took in a copy of my resume to introduce myself. Personally, if there is a physical location for any job that you're applying to, I think it's a good idea to go to the store in person as well in addition to the online application. It makes you stand out amongst the hundreds of other people that also applied online. It must have worked because I got a call 2 days later for a phone screen and then asked to come back into the store for a one on one interview.

The f2f was two parts. B&N does a "peer interview" where you interview with someone either in the same position you are applying or at least a member of the management team. After that, I interviewed with the store manager. We sat in the cafe for the whole interview, which took about 1.5 hours. It was behavioral questions where you had to give examples of how you accomplished things and to get to know your work ethic/management style. They told me that they would get back to me early the following week.

When the Manager called the next week, she informed me that they went with an internal candidate at that location but that there was another location looking for someone in the same position. She offered to call them to give me a good recommendation which I took her up on. She called them while I reapplied for that location (you have to apply for each individual location you want to work at) and went to drop off my resume there as well.

The Manager there called me the next week to set up a face to face. Since I had gone through the phone screen and the peer interview, I just interviewed with him. He asked me to come back the next day to interview with the DM. I interviewed with her; more behavioral questions with a few more questions about my background.

I didn't hear anything for a couple of days so I called to check the status and see if a decision had been made. The ASM stated that they were just about to call me as they wanted to run a background check and she sent me a link via email. I filled it out and sent it off late on a Friday afternoon.

Early the next week, I got a call with an offer.

Interview Questions

• If you have 2 candidates that are equally qualified, how do you choose?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Offer was higher than expected.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Edina, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

Lengthy with a lot of detailed questions. Some of the questions surprised me and some were general interview questions. All-in-all the interview went well, I thought. Oh, and some of the questions didn't seem right for the situation but that was just my take on the interview.

Interview Questions

• If you were helping a customer and another customer approached you while you had 8-9 customers at the register and 1 on the phone, how would you prioritize this?   Answer Question