Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Barnes & Noble

2.2

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Manchester, CT) in July 2015.

Interview

There was no follow through on the interview. The position was filled, but no communication. I would expect more from a company like Barnes & Noble to have sent a follow up email..."Thank you for interviewing with us...

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Barnes & Noble?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was referred to the position by an existing employee who knew that I would be a good fit. After that, the initial interviews were conducted really quickly, but the placement process took a very, very long time. Months. Partly because there a layers upon layers of management. For this type of position, the store manager had to agree, as did the district manager, and then the Community Relations Manager. Then there were salary negotiations and getting placement.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Barnes & Noble?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

The interview process was standard. The management is looking for retail experience as well as a drive for success. You wiki be well served to research the company culture and values before applying for a position here.

Community Relations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The process started with a phone screening, then followed by three interviews. The first interview was with two of the store managers I would be working with; the second was with an assistant manager and a bookseller. The third interview was with the district manager. I just wrapped up my third interview a day ago and am waiting on a final decision. The questions in the first two interviews were pretty common ones related to customer service, literature, and communication skills. The final interview contained some obscure questions that I had to take a moment to answer, but I was never asked anything that really threw me off too much.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you approached a situation one way and then realized you needed to take another approach? How did you handle it? -This is a question where your response can really hurt you if you come up with an answer that isn't more on the positive side. Try to steer away from saying you were dealing with a customer that was so difficult you had to become overly stern in order to make them understand your business' policy, etc.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

One on one interviews and peer interview

Interview Questions

• Everything was pretty straight forward. No trick questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Multiple interviews, (5) in total. Starting with store screening then peer interview, store manager interview, district manger, interview and finally regional business development management interview. I took months to complete.

Interview Questions

• No, just be prepare to explain your success and challenges and how you've overcome them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked me what I wanted, I gave them an amount and they countered. Don't be afraid to negotiate vacation time. Get an extra week if you can. Don't accept below $32,000. K You will regret it!

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Sacramento, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

It's Retail store culture changes with every store and store manager. My hiring process was short and sweet. It only lasted 2 weeks. From start to offer.

Interview Questions

• The hardest questions weren't that hard. Mostly regarding sales calls and running a business unit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was a straight offer yes I'll take it or no I wont.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

You'll meet and interview with at least three people. The store manager, the district manager and the regional sales manager. All interviews will be different

Interview Questions

• They are looking for a "sales" type person for this position even though they don't tell you that   1 Answer

Negotiation

Difficult. They told me the pay range and I ended up at the bottom because I didn't have any previous book experience. After three years of blowing my numbers out of the water they still refused to fight for me to get more money.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victorville, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Victorville, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

This company will have you interview with a few highly experienced Store Managers to asses your skill set. All interviews were professional and to the point. The managers conducting the interview were always prepared and well informed of which position you are applying for. The application process is communicated and organized well.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate your team?   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

#Several interviews, Peer, Store Manager and District Manager

Interview Questions

• Standard questions, P&L experience, number of direct reports, handling irate or difficult customers, goal setting, meeting goals   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, this is the offer, will usually have some small opportunity for negotiation. Internal hires no opportuity - at all.