Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Jul 12, 2017

2.2

Senior Software Interview

Interview

Technical and easy, mostly on the key programming concepts.
    Some lead and management questions. Past experiences in handling technical issues..
    HR round was easy.. be prepared with basic programming questions.. and database concepts

Children's Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Edison, NJ).

Interview

Initially there was a phone screening, then they asked me to come in for the first interview. In total I had two interviews, first with the assistant manager then with the store manager a few days later. In general they asked typical interview questions: describe your work experience, why do you want to work for our company, etc. Even though I had no retail experience that didn't seem to be a big issue, possibly because I had some experience organizing fundraisers.

Interview Questions

• Following up on asking about my favorite genres (thriller and sci-fi) they asked: why I would be interested in working primarily with children if my reading interests are outside of children's/young adult literature?   1 Answer
    • Imagine that I (the interviewer) am a customer asking for a recommendation, and you think your favorite book would be perfect for me. How would you sell me on buying that book?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Bloomfield, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (West Bloomfield, MI).

Interview

I applied online using their very simple web portal. I received a call back about a week later. Got an interview and was called that week to say that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book?
      What are some of your strengths?
      Tell me about a difficult situation at your last job.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2017.

Interview

First, I had a brief phone interview with one of the Managers. He asked me some basic questions about my previous employment. Then, I was asked to come in to the store for an interview. Most of these questions were about how to deal with coworkers and customers. Finally, I was asked to come back for a third and final interview, where they asked similar questions to the previous two interviews.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Macon, GA).

Interview

I applied online and I was contacted about a week later. I had a breif phone interview with an assistant store manager. She then asked me to come in for a face-to-face interview. I was interviewed by two managers. The first manager asked me situational questions. The second manager asked me general interview questions. I did a background check the same day and was contacted the next day offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult customers?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you?   1 Answer

Cafe Barista Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

She wuickly asked me questions, nothing to serious. The only thing that stood out, was the fact that I had to wait a while out in the cafe for the manager to come out. I didn't mind as I was trying to get a job, but I noticed this more when others were being interviewed. The manager would make the interviewer wait a long while.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Milford, CT).

Interview

I went to an open job fair. I had a lengthy interview with the DM. A week later I had an interview with the SM. I was hired immediately and started 2 weeks later. I trained in another store for two weeks. Training continued in my home store.

Interview Questions

• How would you make selling memberships a priority?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Tysons Corner, VA).

Interview

I came in for my first interview that was with one of the store's merchandise managers. It went really well, and right after he asked if I could stay for another interview with one of the higher up managers. I said yes. After, I was told informally that I had the job. Really positive experience

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation in which there was a problem that had to be solved, and what was your method of solution?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Rochester, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The manager asked questions about my resume and several different scenario questions like what do I do during down time at work. It took about 15 minutes. The manager was very friendly and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Sell me either your favorite book, your phone, or a tablet.   Answer Question

Cafe Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Chattanooga, TN) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was called a few days later by the manager of the cafe. She asked me a few questions over the phone, it lasted about 15 minutes. Then she asked me to come in later that week for an interview. I came to the interview, and the lady told me that she was waiting for some other employees to get back from lunch and then she could interview me. She was nice, and she offered me a free drink from the menu. After the employees got back she sat me down at a table and started asking me questions. The questions were basic, and the interview lasted about 20 minutes. After that she said she would call me to let me know if I got the job. A couple days later she called and told me they had gone with someone with more experience, but said I should reapply when I'm older. Decent experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite drink from Starbucks?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about selling people things without them asking?   Answer Question